• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Amtrak vs. Metro North - CT to NYC/back

Maddie2

DIS Veteran
We will be taking the train into NYC from Stamford, CT in a couple of weeks and wondering what the advantage is to take Amtrak? Metro North is $10.25 and Amtrak is $19. They take about the same amount of time - right at or under an hour.

From the photos I've seen, the seats might be a smidge better on Amtrak, but not overly so. Both options are better than driving into the city and dealing with parking, but just wondering what the difference is?

TIA!

Don't bother with Amtrak. The ride is so short, you won't know the difference. Metro North is the commuter railroad, Amtrak is a little more "luxurious", whatever that means, but there really isn't much of a difference.

By all means, save the $$ and go Metro North. I just rode them in May and we ended up on new trains. I go from New Haven to NYC and that's almost a 2 hour trip.

Do you need to go to the east or west side? That's how I would decide.

lila said:
Do you need to go to the east or west side? That's how I would decide.

Great question - for the original poster, amtrak goes to penn stn, which is midtown west, and metro north goes to grand central, which is midtown east. It is a good 15-20 min walk (maybe closer to 30) between the 2 stations, or a 10 dollar cab ride each way, or a subway (2.50 per person each way).

Hello all. OP here. :)

Our hotel is at 36th & 6th (so what's that, Midtown Central or in the heart of Midtown?), so really, either train station is within walking distance. We will each only have a small shoulder bag or backpack, so we will walk and skip the cabs. Thanks everyone for your advice. Metro North to Grand Central it is! Might as well save a few bucks and spend them in Manhattan. :thumbsup2

After our time in NYC, we'll take the train back to Stamford and drive west. Now, to figure out a place to stay (that won't break the bank) within an hour's drive west of Stamford (but north of the metro area) :confused3 Any ideas? I would LOVE to be near the water, but those are few and far between - and usually very pricey. Know of any mom and pop, off the map kind of places?

Disney trips are SO much easier to plan!!! :goodvibes

Maddie2 said:
Hello all. OP here. :)

Our hotel is at 36th & 6th (so what's that, Midtown Central or in the heart of Midtown?), so really, either train station is within walking distance. We will each only have a small shoulder bag or backpack, so we will walk and skip the cabs. Thanks everyone for your advice. Metro North to Grand Central it is! Might as well save a few bucks and spend them in Manhattan. :thumbsup2

After our time in NYC, we'll take the train back to Stamford and drive west. Now, to figure out a place to stay (that won't break the bank) within an hour's drive west of Stamford (but north of the metro area) :confused3 Any ideas? I would LOVE to be near the water, but those are few and far between - and usually very pricey. Know of any mom and pop, off the map kind of places?

Disney trips are SO much easier to plan!!! :goodvibes

Regarding train stations, yes, walkable, but please just be aware of your surroundings if walking at night - to get to 36 and 6th you have to walk past some blocks that get a bit desolate after close of business. For hotels, Do you really mean hour west? If so, what water are you referring to, the Hudson River? There are some hotels in Tarrytown that are not too far from water, some cheaper than others, and tarrytown has a sort of "fun" few blocks in its downtown with shops and restaurants. On other side of Hudson River-right across Tappan Zee bridge- is PIERMONT, which is a quaint little riverfront town with various small hotels, etc.

We should get into the city mid/late morning on a Sunday, so thinking we should be okay. Is there a certain street we should avoid if we are over there in the evening?

For water, I was thinking maybe the north side of Long Island Sound, but now I have more areas to consider. Thanks! :)

Yes, an hour west because we have a long drive the following day and a little bit of a head start west would be a good thing.

I'm confused to where west are you heading and when you want o get there. From ct to tarrytown its like 30 minute drive depending on traffic so maybe you want to go further it will just not be on the water. Piermont is nice but very small windy roads to get there if you are going on nice. There's a new comfort inn in Rockland not on water though. You can keep going west if you are headed west into jersey too.
As far as walking cross streets are sometimes more quiet like 36 or 38th street but really only at night. Stay on more populated streets if you not know NYC.

Glad my suggestions at least gave food for thought, but depending on where you are going, and which route you are taking, if heading toward Columbus/Cleveland/Pittsburgh/Indy/etc., if you are willing to go an extra two more hours or so past Tarrytown/Piermont, you can end up in Lancaster County PA (Amish country, etc.), which could also include Hershey Park, or if heading west through Northern PA, could get into the Poconos region. (Or if heading west and then south down I-95, etc., could go via Garden State Pkwy to mid/southern Jersey Shore.)

We will be taking the train into NYC from Stamford, CT in a couple of weeks and wondering what the advantage is to take Amtrak? Metro North is $10.25 and Amtrak is $19. They take about the same amount of time - right at or under an hour.

From the photos I've seen, the seats might be a smidge better on Amtrak, but not overly so. Both options are better than driving into the city and dealing with parking, but just wondering what the difference is?

TIA!

Go on Metro North, the trains are more frequent. I think the biggest difference you need to be aware of is that MeteoNorth goes to Grand Central Station (and often makes a stop @125th st in Harlem). Amtrak goes to Penn Station.

We should get into the city mid/late morning on a Sunday, so thinking we should be okay. Is there a certain street we should avoid if we are over there in the evening?

For water, I was thinking maybe the north side of Long Island Sound, but now I have more areas to consider. Thanks! :)

Yes, an hour west because we have a long drive the following day and a little bit of a head start west would be a good thing.

The North Side of Long Island isn't west of Stamford (to get there from Stamford you would have to drive thru NYC).

Yeah, if you take the train from NYC to Stamford and then go (south)west you'd be heading back the way you came. Are you talking about staying somewhere on the CT shoreline?

Hello all and thanks for your comments and suggestions.

We will be on the north side of Long Island SOUND (not Long Island) - so yes, I am talking about the CT shoreline. I've been researching that area, and now am looking at Rockland County too.

The next stop after a night on the CT shoreline (or wherever), we are off to Cleveland, OH and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Not entirely sure which route we will be taking. Would like to avoid driving back through NYC, so may go a bit north and across the Tappan Zee bridge and that direction.

Have also looked at possibly stopping in Elsyburg, PA at Knoebel's Amusement Park on the way to Cleveland. Lancaster County sounds somewhat interesting if we go that way, but wouldn't drive too far off path to go there. We don't have Amish people where we live, but we have other colonies of people that are similar. Hershey Park would be fun, but a bit too far off path. We need to get to Cleveland and points west within a certain time frame.

I was in NYC during the summer of 1986 - lived in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn and worked in Manhattan, so I know some, but not a lot.

Thanks again for your help!

To be clear, I think it was clear I knew what you meant, but part of confusion for some of the responses is that stamford is pretty close to western edge of north side of long island sound. Literally only a few miles west, the shoreline starts heading back south directly into "core" of metro ny traffic. That is why I suggested tarrytown/piermont, which at least get you in right direction and generally closer to breaking free of metro ny traffic (and in summer, can easily take an hour from stamford). But while each of those towns are fine, that is why I also suggested maybe going a bit further to really get away from ny, and also maybe see something else "touristy" (lancaster, hershey, poconos, etc). In any event, good luck.

If you are traveling west, definitely take the Tappan Zee to Garden State to I-80. That's our tried and true route going back and forth from Michigan to CT. It'll take you about 6 hours just to get through the Pennsylvania mountains and about 5 to get through Ohio. BTW, I used to live in Stamford. We used to like to drive on the Merritt to White Plains and take the express (30 min.) train into NYC.

To be clear, I think it was clear I knew what you meant, but part of confusion for some of the responses is that stamford is pretty close to western edge of north side of long island sound. Literally only a few miles west, the shoreline starts heading back south directly into "core" of metro ny traffic. That is why I suggested tarrytown/piermont, which at least get you in right direction and generally closer to breaking free of metro ny traffic (and in summer, can easily take an hour from stamford). But while each of those towns are fine, that is why I also suggested maybe going a bit further to really get away from ny, and also maybe see something else "touristy" (lancaster, hershey, poconos, etc). In any event, good luck.

Thanks so much for all of your advice. You have some great suggestions. There are just too many places to see and too many things to do in that part of the country! Decisions, decisions! :)

I love the Disboards for all things Disney, of course, but this board is such a wonderful resource for almost everything else too! Thanks again!

If you are traveling west, definitely take the Tappan Zee to Garden State to I-80. That's our tried and true route going back and forth from Michigan to CT. It'll take you about 6 hours just to get through the Pennsylvania mountains and about 5 to get through Ohio. BTW, I used to live in Stamford. We used to like to drive on the Merritt to White Plains and take the express (30 min.) train into NYC.

Thanks for your advice. :) Looks like a great route!

We live in a part of the country that does not have tolls, so we are not accustomed to paying them. By taking your route from CT to (for us) Cleveland, OH (including the Merritt), do you have an estimate of how much $ we will need for tolls? Do they just take quarters? TIA!

Thanks for your advice. :) Looks like a great route!

We live in a part of the country that does not have tolls, so we are not accustomed to paying them. By taking your route from CT to (for us) Cleveland, OH (including the Merritt), do you have an estimate of how much $ we will need for tolls? Do they just take quarters? TIA!

:rotfl2: Quarters? No, dollar bills! Most tolls are several dollars.

:rotfl2: Quarters? No, dollar bills! Most tolls are several dollars.

Be nice now. ;)

Yes, I know the tolls cost a few to several dollars. My question remains the same - do they only take only quarters/coins to pay them? It's been a while since we've had to pay tolls anywhere, but I recall throwing coins in a net and just going through.

I envision us running out of coins. Do they take $10s and $20s? How about credit cards? The planner in me just wants to be prepared.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter