Amtrak with Pack n Play

keighttf

Mouseketeer
We recently went to WDW for a resort only stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House DVC. We have an 8 month old DD and didn’t want to fly because she is too young to wear a mask. We decided to take Amtrak and get a bedroom so we had own space including a bathroom. We drove to Newark and took the viewliner train from there to Orlando. I was concerned about a sleeping space for our DD. I couldn’t find the exact dimensions of the floor area before going. However I am happy to report a graco travel lite crib fits in the space between the couch and chair If you keep the chair folded up. You can’t fold the couch down further at night but I had no problem with that and my DH slept in the top bed. A regular pack n play would have been too big and would not have fit.

For those unfamiliar with Amtrak, Viewliner is just the class of sleeping car used on most trains east of Chicago. The actual names of the trains between NY & FL are the Silver Meteor and the Silver Star, both of which use Viewliner sleeping cars.

The Auto Train, OTOH, uses bilevel Superliner sleeper cars, whose rooms have a slightly different layout.

OP - I'm curious, how long did your trip take on this non-auto train train ride?
And is that Newark, DE or NJ?
Thanks!

For those unfamiliar with Amtrak, Viewliner is just the class of sleeping car used on most trains east of Chicago. The actual names of the trains between NY & FL are the Silver Meteor and the Silver Star, both of which use Viewliner sleeping cars.

The Auto Train, OTOH, uses bilevel Superliner sleeper cars, whose rooms have a slightly different layout.

Thanks for clarifying for others. I specifically mentioned the viewliner because I found a post online about a pack n play in a superliner but couldn’t find anything about the viewliner train.

OP - I'm curious, how long did your trip take on this non-auto train train ride?
And is that Newark, DE or NJ?
Thanks!

We left from Newark, NJ. The train starts in NYC but it takes us about the same amount of time to get to both and as expected parking was easier and the train station was not crowded. I think it is scheduled from about 22 hours but took about 30 minutes longer due to delay.

Thanks for clarifying for others. I specifically mentioned the viewliner because I found a post online about a pack n play in a superliner but couldn’t find anything about the viewliner train.
Yeah, I just wanted to make sure people didn't go out there looking for a train named the Viewliner. o_O

BTW, since this is a Disney board, a bit of trivia: Viewliner was also the name of a streamlined train ride at Disneyland in California. It ran for about a year in the 1950's, and some consider it to be the predecessor of the Disneyland Alweg Monorail.

https://d23.com/this-day/viewliner-opens-at-disneyland/

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter