An adult threatened my 6 year old

As an owner of a grocery store whose employees deal directly with customers and assuming the male employee who was there and spoke out at the time backed up the OP's story I feel I would have no choice but to either let this employee go or find her a job in my store away from the public, special needs or not. Telling a 6 year old "I'll shove some seaweed down your throat boy" as the family is walking away after having zero interaction with her is very much a threat (especially as perceived by a young child who may not understand special needs) and it should not be acceptable or defensible to an employer. I do not believe for one second she was joking or that it was the first time they have had an issue with her but they could not tell the op that. She did not hear the conversation the child had with his parents but saw them looking at her display and automatically assumed they were being critical of it and her anger got the better of her. I'd hate to think how far she might go the next time she feels "wronged." Whatever her needs are, and we do not know if she even has any special needs, she does not sound like a good candidate to be working with the public at least for now.

That being said, I agree with most posters who say let it go and move on. You have made them aware of what happened and they have responded with their solution. As it is not agreeable to you refusing to give them anymore of your business is really the only thing you can do op.

Last edited:
I agree with the post above me by @mom to minnie&mickey

As a parent, the 1st comment is inappropriate but "quirky" - a 6 year old is not going to understand it's "in jest." The 2nd comment is overtly aggressive and threatening. I don't care how bad a day or how other people in the world or suffering. You do not threaten a kid, especially insinuating physical violence. My parental response would have kicked in like yours. I would not have confronted the employee (as much as I would wanted to) but I would have gone straight to management as you did. I might not have left until I got someone to speak with while the employee was still on shift.

If there is a disability, then the employee needs to be in another non-customer facing position. Any sign of potential violence is not acceptable. "If you see something, say something." There is too much making excuses for people until it's too late.

Too much letting people say whatever they want regardless the environment or audience. The kid was scared and will think of that for a while. Adults need to protect kids. Just think about if a teacher said that to your kindergartner. NOT OK.

Now that time has passed, you have to let it go, but I totally understand how upsetting this is. I would send a final note saying you will not be shopping there anymore so the $20 is not necessary. OR, just don't shop there. Money talks.

the one was already talking about needing to talk to the manager when they got back and when I spoke to the manager today, he had no idea what had transpired.
Our manager on duty addressed this with her immediately Saturday evening
I'm not sure if you've worked in retail or not but manager on duty means manager on duty. It's the one on shift at that moment or considered responsible for issues at that time (which may mean they are off premises but are required to be on call). It does not mean the only manager employed of the establishment. It can depending on the staffing of the store but "manager on duty" is standard for employers with multiple managers employed.

You think they are lying and I don't think that at all. You likely spoke with a different manager than the one on duty that evening.
They defended her - called her a great employee and insisted she was joking but acknowledged it was insensitive and the workplace was not the right place to make such a joke (but where is the right place to "jokingly" threaten a 6 year old?)

They lied about a manager handling it immediately because I overheard the one employee say, "when the manager gets back".
What do you expect them to do? Honestly there aren't nearly enough companies that defend their employees that it's almost refreshing for them to do so. Of course we all on the thread agree it was inappropriate for the employee and I think the store owner would have been better of going with "less is more" in their response to you but I think they may be trying to placate you and trying to sound more "neighborhoodly" in their response meaning more personable less form filled e-mail (which I suspect you would have been even angrier than you are now had you gotten that type of response).

After the first couple of your responses to posters you def. gave off the impression that there's nothing that short of that employee being let go and then never allowed to be employed by a place you may frequent is going to satisfy you. I don't think you're wrong feeling quite upset over the second comment but I don't read in your comments a true risk of bodily harm to your child such that would warrant police or more than you've gotten. No one has to accept whatever compensation offered and if you feel this is more an insult than anything to get $20 then simply don't go in today and get it and then shop elsewhere in the future. In the end that's what the majority of people would do.

I would send a final note saying you will not be shopping there anymore so the $20 is not necessary. OR, just don't shop there. Money talks.
Personally, I wouldn't do that. It's likely to get an eye rolling internal response. If the OP doesn't go in today and they reach out to her again sure that would be good to let them know that but otherwise it's just further antagonizing the situation beyond likely what is in the control of the store manager. A non-response is a response, a non-picking up of the promised compensation is a response. I suspect continuing the e-mail chain will only serve to keep the incident in the OP's mind.

Im gonna play devil's advocate here and assume that unless there was something seriously wrong with that employee, I have a hard time believing that they actually said that, because another employee thats in the area simply doesn't go "woah, hey" and not call a supervisor or team lead over right there and then. Stores don't play with stuff like that, and something implied as a threat is grounds for termination.

They defended her - called her a great employee and insisted she was joking but acknowledged it was insensitive and the workplace was not the right place to make such a joke (but where is the right place to "jokingly" threaten a 6 year old?)

They lied about a manager handling it immediately because I overheard the one employee say, "when the manager gets back".

They did apologize.

What I would like? For her to be removed from customer interactions. She had noise cancelling head phones on. We did not approach her. She chose to remove the headphones to interact with us. Obviously steps they've taken before are not sufficient and she has difficulty understanding what is acceptable and appropriate.

What time of day did the incident happen? Was it the evening? This would help me understand your insistence that they lied about the manager. They may have been out to lunch or on an errand for the store. They say "Our manager on duty (would still be the manager on duty even if out momentarily) addressed this with her immediately Saturday evening" which indicates to me it was addressed immediately upon his return. As far as removing her from customer interactions, what do you care if you are not going back there anymore?

Is there a possibility the employee is on the Spectrum?
People on the spectrum shouldn't be given a free pass when they speak about doing something violent, though.

Yes. It was a strange and inappropriate comment, and yes I would have mentioned it to management, but unless I literally thought the employee would shove something down my child’s throat, I’d most likely continue to shop there. It did sound like it may have been a bad attempt at a joke. So, yeah. I’d just let it go.
Stating that they are going to shove something down a child's throat is not a joke in any way or form. It is talking about assault. If that is the go-to for this person, there's a serious issue.
Sounds like you think you have more power than you have. Just move on. No one got hurt.
No one got hurt yet, but imagine if the employee said this to someone who took offense and responded violently? How about the child that is afraid of the store now? "Oh, we just have to let some people say violent things to us because they don't know any better" just doesn't cut it for me. And I've worked in special education for over 20 years.

No one got hurt yet, but imagine if the employee said this to someone who took offense and responded violently? How about the child that is afraid of the store now? "Oh, we just have to let some people say violent things to us because they don't know any better" just doesn't cut it for me. And I've worked in special education for over 20 years.
I agree that special needs are not a free pass! But each case is individual. If I were the manager, I would want to know:

1) Was this the first time something like this was said?

2) Did the employee mutter this to herself as the people were walking away, or stand aggressively in front of the kid and shout it?

If this was the first time, and a half-muttered comment, I would attempt to train the employee in the proper response, but I would assume it was the employee being grouchy, not a major liability issue just waiting to explode.

If this is a pattern that re-training hasn't solved, and/or her physical movements indicated actual aggression, then I would be a lot more worried.

Stating that they are going to shove something down a child's throat is not a joke in any way or form. It is talking about assault. If that is the go-to for this person, there's a serious issue.

No. It’s not a joke to most. I think we all agree that it was wildly inappropriate. But could it have been a joke to this person? Sure. I think we have to understand intent. It could be a phrase she nonchalantly uses. Like when someone says, something like, “I’m going to kill you if you make me late again!” It may be acceptable/normal to use around friends/family, but not strangers.

I do think this person needs some serious training in speaking with the public and most likely it sounds like this is probably not the job for them.

People on the spectrum shouldn't be given a free pass when they speak about doing something violent, though.

Who said it’s condoned and not spoken about? Who knows if this is a one off event?

I have seen this employee on several occasions when shopping there, interacting with customers. And the cashier's response was, "what did she do now?" Which clearly indicates this is an ongoing issue.

Obviously they cannot. I am not saying they should have.

I am saying I have no knowledge on whether she is or not so I don't believe it is fair to speculate.

The store owner went out of her way to lie to me. She didn't know that the cashier made the, "what did she do now?" comment, which tells me that whatever addressing of the situation occurs, will not be effective.

She never asked me to hear the details, she just went off of the report.

It's an isolated incident FOR ME because we won't be going back. This repeat behavior tells me it won't be an isolated incident long term.

I don't want anything. I just want to be sure that proper action is taken. That store sits in an area where it is highly utilized and a cheaper option than most.

Just wanted to post the email from the owner for reference:

"Good afternoon,

Sorry I missed your call. I had to run a quick errand for the store. Our sincere apologies for your experience in our store on Saturday. EMPLOYEE has been with us for some time and has been a great employee. This is the first time we have had an issue with her. I do believe her intention was to joke with your child, also believe she was insensitive of going to far especially being in a working environment. Our manager on duty addressed this with her immediately Saturday evening, and I will reinforce this myself to make sure we teach, train and coach her.
We appreciate your business, as we are a family owned business, and love being in this community. If there is anything else we can do, please let us know.
Stop in anytime Tuesday or after for a $20 gift card.

Sincerely,
OWNER & OWNER"

I changed the names to the position they hold.

I, obviously, have issues with this reply, but it's mostly the lying for me. There was no manager on the premises when I was there because when I walked up to the other two employees, the one was already talking about needing to talk to the manager when they got back and when I spoke to the manager today, he had no idea what had transpired. She probably means the young man handled it, which he did to the best of his ability by saying, "Woah, hey!" And, of course, the lie about it being an isolated incident when the cashier asked, "what did she do now?"

This reply is just garbage to me.
I'm puzzled by your stated preference not to speculate, and the noted times you are indeed speculating according to your own words. I've bolded the passages I'm talking about.

Looking at it from your own words as simply and objectively as possible in black and white, honestly it seems as if you do indeed utilize speculation to formulate and then bolster your opinions -- and distinctly back away from speculation that would potentially suggest your opinion might not be accounting for the situation as thoroughly as you suggest.

An employee should not be telling anyone, let alone a child, they will shove anything down anyone's throat. If owner/management has looked into the complaint and incident and decided to keep the employee my speculation is they have some type of reasoning behind it that they deem credible and solid. Is there possibility at all that some of the statements along the line weren't quite what you heard/didn't actually pertain to the situation you assumed they did? IMO you made a few leaps in judgment I'm not certain you have the information to stand quite so firmly on.

First off; many people seem to have run with the idea that because this clerk acted innappropriately, that she must be on the spectrum. As I said in my previous post, it's unlikely given the facts as we know them, but I want to reiterate that even if she is on the spectrum, autism is not a one-size-fits-all explanation to be applied to anyone you meet who is acting "off", and especially not to people who threaten others for no reason. MILLIONS of autistic Americans cannot find or hold jobs in this country because there is a widespread misconception that all autistic individuals are inherently dangerous to others, which they are not. There are a lot of mental illnesses that also can cause aggression toward strangers, and in fact are much more likely to do so than a neurological condition like autism.

I agree that if the owner actually said it was meant as "a joke" then the owner mis-spoke. That's really not unusual; many people who don't know what to call an irrational outburst will try to disarm a situation like this by claiming it was a misguided attempt at humor, because as a society we are conditioned to believe that humor is harmless, while irrationality is dangerous, but the reality is that neither one of those things is always true.

What I do know for sure is that young children take their clues about when to be afraid or angry from the adults around them, and in this case the mom definitely seems to be deliberately keeping the incident top of mind.

Back when I worked IT customer service phone lines, I had an extraordinarily effective colleague who was fond of getting irate customers to calm down by asking them if any babies had died as the result of the problem. Amazingly, that phrase almost always worked for him (though the rest of us were terrified to try it) but the thing is, he wasn't wrong. In the larger scheme of things, a computer problem is normally not a life-threatening emergency, and neither is a muttered threat from a grocery store clerk who didn't do anything else to follow up the supposed threat.

It wasn't a joke, true enough, but the OP *is* over-reacting at this point, and if her child is still frightened, it is probably because he is seeing his parent hold onto her anger about the incident long past the point when she should be. He might even have asked never to go there again partly because he feels that Mom made him more uncomfortable by making a big deal out of the whole thing, or because he didn't like that he had to sit in the car and wait while she had her confrontation with the staff. (I know my kids would have been VERY impatient if made to do that at age 6.)

Kids are not stupid, and after a year in school they have seen enough to know that people often threaten to do things that they have no intention of doing, and that bullies often talk a big game just because it makes them feel tough to talk like that. We teach kids to walk away and not escalate when this happens at school, so what makes the grocery store incident so much different? The balance of power. A customer in a store tends to feel that as the person with money to spend, she has more power than a clerk, and in this case she's making darned sure that everyone at that store (and presumably everyone in her family) knows it.

On Saturday, we went to a local grocery store. While we were there, we came across an employee stocking shelves with noise cancelling headphones on. We proceeded to walk around her.

While we were walking past a seaweed display, DS6 said, "Seaweed? Who eats that?" And I told him a lot of people do. He asked if it was healthy and I said it's healthier than some things.

It was then that the employee interjected herself "You'd better not be talking about my seaweed display, I just finished it!"

DS6 got shy and walked from beside the cart to right beside me and DH and I kind of chuckled it off and we kept walking. She then said:

"I'll shove some seaweed down your throat, boy."

A male employee immediately said, "Woah, hey!" And we walked to the next aisle and stopped. I think I was in shock.

I looked down at the cart and told DH we weren't buying a damned thing there and to take the kids out to the car. I walked to the register and told them what had happened. Though when I walked up, the one cashier said, what did she do now?, clearly talking about that employee.

I left my name and told them I expected a call from management as I was tempted to file a police report. She just randomly threatened a 6 year old.

When we got I the car - DS6 asked me, "Can we never go in there again?"

Saturday evening, I also emailed corporate.

I received an email from the owner today telling me that the employee was just attempting to joke with my son and hasn't had an issue the entire time she's worked there but she agreed it was inappropriate and offered me a $20 gift card.

What do I do here? That is clearly an insufficient response.
No reject the card, tell him that what she said, regardless of intent, was completely inappropriate and completely lost on a 6 year old who was THREATENED in the store and you will need this to be escalated beyond him, ask who HIS boss is.

Personally, I wouldn't do that. It's likely to get an eye rolling internal response. If the OP doesn't go in today and they reach out to her again sure that would be good to let them know that but otherwise it's just further antagonizing the situation beyond likely what is in the control of the store manager. A non-response is a response, a non-picking up of the promised compensation is a response. I suspect continuing the e-mail chain will only serve to keep the incident in the OP's mind.
Good explanation. Agree

Is there a possibility the employee is on the Spectrum?
As the mom to an adult child with special needs.... we need to prepare our children for the world, not prepare the world for our children. If this person is special needs then it is on the employer to assign them to a job that is within all of their capabilities not beyond their capabilities.

As this appears to be a supermarket it's an easy assumption that there is a corporation over it.
The OP mentioned they e-mailed corporate. Truth is they would be unlikely to get any actual response from Corporate for a myriad of reasons and likely to get a canned e-mail response if they do get one from Corporate.

It can be a franchised location too.

And being realistic here unless that employee has a documented history of issues Corporate is unlikely to see any reason for further intervention leaving it in the hands of the owner of the store who has already provided OP with their steps they will/have done.

And just speaking out loud on a general note while we often think corporate means large corporation the owner of a store could in theory also be the owner of the corporation.

Locally we have Hy-Vee which is technically "employee-owned" and the various locations have various owners who through various discussions have their own discretions to use (this came up when it was mentioned about certain same-owner stores and senior discounts). So an over-reaching corporate policy likely falls differently on a store like that compared to say a Walmart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter