An adult threatened my 6 year old

Can we all accept that the employee was having a tough day and needed to vent and this caused the OP to have a tough day and needed to vent as well?
Absolutely, a sentence. And the owners response was thorough, and I’m sure the owner knows the employee better than customers or corporate. For goodness sake.

even my worst day at work I've never threatened to stuff something down a young child's throat. That would be immediate dismissal. That employee should be fired.
It isn't clear whether the employer can get away with firing the employee without legal consequences.

A couple thoughts:

- The headphones thing bugs me -- and I see workers wearing them pretty often. It's rude. If I need to ask a question, I want the person to be able to hear me /I want to feel that I have that person's complete attention -- that's just good customer service. But a lot of people -- especially teenagers -- seem to feel it's acceptable to wear headphones 24/7.
- I'm not sure the headphones are any indication about being "on the spectrum".
- The most important part: Yes, that was a threat, which is completely inappropriate for an employee to say to anyone -- but especially when directed at a child. Clearly it scared the child.
- I agree that the store should get rid of that employee, but you probably won't hear that it happened. I'd be tempted to go back to the store in a few weeks -- definitely without the child -- and see if she's still around.

I also think you are taking the other employee's comment too literally. "What did she do now" could simply mean she has a habit of dropping things, or misdirecting shoppers to the wrong aisles. Unlikely she meant threatening children. Or maybe that cashier was just a bullying witch. Who knows!
I feel like I've heard managers say this sort of thing almost only about the best employees who would generally not be a problem (not suggesting this was the case in this story). More often than not, if someone is actually often a problem, people aren't going to lead with that.

We’re only hearing Karen’s side of the story. With all her rage fueling her need to get Internet strangers on her side.
Let me get this straight. A person complaining that their 6 year old child was verbally threatened is a Karen, yet the person doing the threatening is a victim? We are doomed as a society. I've worked under powerful unions for 30 years and this would be undefendable. Their best bet would be to get the person a job in the back and not in front of customers. We have a store here (WinCo for those around me) that stock all day and they wear headphones so not so sure it's a sign of a disability. If it is, the store needs to make an accommodation where the person is not in contact with customers.

Is there a possibility the employee is on the Spectrum?
Then, the store should have the employee working in an area where dealing with the public is not part of the job description. This is if the employee has a history of bad interactions - I don't mean any employee on the spectrum.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight. A person complaining that their 6 year old child was verbally threatened is a Karen, yet the person doing the threatening is a victim? We are doomed as a society. I've worked under powerful unions for 30 years and this would be undefendable. Their best bet would be to get the person a job in the back and not in front of customers. We have a store here (WinCo for those around me) that stock all day and they wear headphones so not so sure it's a sign of a disability. If it is, the store needs to make an accommodation where the person is not in contact with customers.

Did you read the entire thread?

That is a good lesson to teach your son about people who are on the spectrum- I had a bagger once bagging my items- clearly was on the spectrum- when I asked for a few things to be bagged seperatly (they were things for my neighbor) she snapped at me saying "don't tell me how to do my job"- my first response was to go tell the manager then when I thought about it I was like I am sure she is trying her best and I did not say a word.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter