An Alphabetical, (Flower and) Garden Variety TR- V is for: Vida la Tucson! TR COMPLETE! (3/14)

G is for: Good Times and Good Friends

Picking up where we left off after having diddled around in Future World, which is to the LEFT out of the International Gateway #thankyouverymuch, eating ridiculous amounts of food and getting a couple of nice shots of the Tres Amigas, it was time to head out for a whirlwind tour of the World… Showcase.

And one I forgot in the last update thrown in for good measure:

But first, a ‘paws’ and a pose with my favorite mice.

Topiaries roll my wagon and I’m just geeky enough to have stopped to read a bit more about Disney Horticulture.

But just for a minute. It seems like when you enter Disney parks, it is rather like a time warp; before you know it, it’s sundown and the day is over. Poof! Just like that you’ve burned through a ticket day and haven’t done 90% of what was on your list. So, gotta keep rollin’, scooterin’, movin’, eatin’… Eh hem…

We turned right, back towards France and had just enough time to grab a Photopass with the 3 of us.

And then Caroline and Andi somehow magically appeared (I have zero idea how that happened- were you and Andi in line for France goodies?) and we got a few more with the 4 of us. I can with conviction say we rocked it. Yep, four grown women having the best time and living the best life. With Pluto purses and Minnie skirts, we just know how to get ‘er done.

I wish I could say what I did for the rest of the afternoon other than enjoy World Showcase. Morocco by then was mostly walled off for its rehab, so I made my way to Japan next. Marcia was off doing her thang and eventually just went back to the room I believe.

Right about then, my mom texted asking if I’d pop into the Mitsukoshi to see if they had any of the wooden shoes for my sister who was wanting some. **Good timing- see previous comments about backtracking. This was not a ride opening and we all know how Steppe enjoys shopping. (Not.) Unless it’s a Shop-Around-the-World. (It was not.) Sigh… fine. I’ll look for the stupid shoes. I texted her the findings and went along my merry way.

Just in time too, cuz about that time there was a mighty spectacular sunset going down and I framed my favorite photo of the entire trip. (the first one) EPCOT simply does not get much lovelier. I lingered. Because who wouldn’t?

It's possible that Kari and I met back up about then? Kari… a little help? And with her or not, I kept on keppin’. Vroom, vroom! Italy was up next, and I enjoyed pausing just a bit to see what nighttime looks like there. Not that I hadn’t see it before, but you know, World Showcase is just a different place altogether once the sun goes down.

Throw in some Festival booze and we crank the “different” up a few (dozen) notches. That was not me though. My wallet screamed for mercy like toddler being served broccoli (or Steppe being asked to eat banana) so no booze was consumed. But I assure you, Dear Reader, there was room for one more snack. 😉 I mean it had been at least 3 hours, right? One item I’d enjoyed during the Epic Girls trip was the ham and cheese pretzel thingy in Germany, so I had high hopes for this. It was as disappointing as most of the stocks I bought last year. You win some, you lose some. And some just suck- like this one. It was dry, overcooked, and salty. #whensnacksresemblethesnacker

The good news is that the trains always make things better. Grumpy toddler? No problem. Salty snacker? The train’s got that covered too.

Kari and I were last ones standing this time around and I’m pretty sure we just about closed the place down. I can tell you scooters can make a world of difference and I was back on top of my game. Until I tried to get comfortable in bed and actually sleep. Our room location guaranteed that wasn’t going to happen. Then again, so did the lack of any pain pills. I gulped my Tylenol, texted my mom to bring another bottle of it, and went to bed. Well, after skillfully parking my scooter in a tiny hotel room. I can neither confirm nor deny any scuff marks were made on the Nemo room walls. And yes, I did remember to plug it in. After I cleaned out the massive, dried coffee splotches. I reminded myself that the worst day in Disney is always pretty great, and that the day, while still very difficult to move even a little bit, was better by far than the day of travel.

Last edited:
IMG_7363-L.jpg

Cute photo!

But just for a minute. It seems like when you enter Disney parks, it is rather like a time warp; before you know it, it’s sundown and the day is over. Poof! Just like that you’ve burned through a ticket day and haven’t done 90% of what was on your list.

This is so true! The days go by way too fast.

We turned right, back towards France and had just enough time to grab a Photopass with the 3 of us.

Nice group photo.

And then Caroline and Andi somehow magically appeared (I have zero idea how that happened- were you and Andi in line for France goodies?) and we got a few more with the 4 of us.

Do you have any pain killers on this day? Maybe some alcohol too?

Just in time too, cuz about that time there was a mighty spectacular sunset going down and I framed my favorite photo of the entire trip. (the first one) EPCOT simply does not get much lovelier. I lingered. Because who wouldn’t?

Love these photos!!!

Not that I hadn’t see it before, but you know, World Showcase is just a different place altogether once the sun goes down.

Yes it is!

I mean it had been at least 3 hours, right? One item I’d enjoyed during the Epic Girls trip was the ham and cheese pretzel thingy in Germany, so I had high hopes for this. It was as disappointing as most of the stocks I bought last year. You win some, you lose some. And some just suck- like this one. It was dry, overcooked, and salty. #whensnacksresemblethesnacker

We experienced the same disappointment in May with this snack. Danielle got it again when she started her DCP in June and had it fresh and it was so much better she said.

I reminded myself that the worst day in Disney is always pretty great, and that the day, while still very difficult to move even a little bit, was better by far than the day of travel.

Very true and I'm sure each day was better as you recuperated.

Nice shot of you gals. :)
Cute shot of you. Look at you all posey. :goodvibes
Topiaries roll my wagon
To each their own. They do nothing for me. I usually barely give them a glance. Don't ask me why.
It seems like when you enter Disney parks, it is rather like a time warp; before you know it, it’s sundown and the day is over. Poof!
So true! The days just fly by. If Disney could export that phenomenon to my work, that'd be great.
So, gotta keep rollin’, scooterin’
Forgot you were on a scooter. And since no photos this update, it slipped my already sieve-like mind.
And there's Ariana!
Yep, four grown women having the best time and living the best life. With Pluto purses and Minnie skirts, we just know how to get ‘er done.
And Caroline too. What a great little DISmeet day. :)
I wish I could say what I did for the rest of the afternoon other than enjoy World Showcase.
That's enough. ::yes::
Right about then, my mom texted asking if I’d pop into the Mitsukoshi to see if they had any of the wooden shoes for my sister who was wanting some.
Ugh. DW sometimes does that to me and I loathe every second of it. I'm on vacation. The 100% absolute last thing I want to do is go shopping. I do that (groceries, mind you) so many times at home. I'm on vacation to get away from cooking and shopping!
Sigh… fine. I’ll look for the stupid shoes.
:sad2:
Find what she wanted?
Gorgeous shot! Beautifully framed.
Very pretty. :thumbsup2
World Showcase is just a different place altogether once the sun goes down.
::yes::
Throw in some Festival booze and we crank the “different” up a few (dozen) notches.
:laughing: That'd do it.
That was not me though. My wallet screamed for mercy like toddler being served broccoli (or Steppe being asked to eat banana) so no booze was consumed.
:laughing:
And yet, you probably could have used a little pain killing?
One item I’d enjoyed during the Epic Girls trip was the ham and cheese pretzel thingy in Germany,
Something I very much have wanted to try, but have not had the opportunity to do so as of yet.
It was as disappointing as most of the stocks I bought last year.
Oh dear...
And some just suck- like this one. It was dry, overcooked, and salty.
:(
Man that's too bad. And yet... previously it was good. Wonder what changed?
#whensnacksresemblethesnacker
:lmao:
The good news is that the trains always make things better. Grumpy toddler? No problem. Salty snacker? The train’s got that covered too.
::yes:: Who doesn't feel practically forced to stop there?!?!?
Like this little shot. :)
I can tell you scooters can make a world of difference and I was back on top of my game.
Glad to hear it was helping. :)
Until I tried to get comfortable in bed and actually sleep. Our room location guaranteed that wasn’t going to happen.
:sad2:
Well, after skillfully parking my scooter in a tiny hotel room. I can neither confirm nor deny any scuff marks were made on the Nemo room walls.
:rolleyes1
After I cleaned out the massive, dried coffee splotches.
Whoops! :rolleyes2
I reminded myself that the worst day in Disney is always pretty great, and that the day, while still very difficult to move even a little bit, was better by far than the day of travel.
Every day a little better. Good!
Hoping that it keeps going in that direction.

Off! Errands now! Only 8 day shifts and one night left til the big road trip! Less than one month!

Last edited:
Ahh it was so nice to see all of you even if it was brief

Every morning around 10am the divers go into the aquarium and feed every fish, sea creatures and turtles. It is amazing to watch. Another new thing we experienced and people say haven’t you seen it all at Disney!

I really enjoyed F&G this year, I’m hoping the heat doesn’t make F&W less enjoyable. Eating in the August heat outside is not the best!

Love all your pictures!

I love when Epcot has gorgeous sunsets. :)
And then Caroline and Andi somehow magically appeared (I have zero idea how that happened- were you and Andi in line for France goodies?) and we got a few more with the 4 of us. I can with conviction say we rocked it. Yep, four grown women having the best time and living the best life. With Pluto purses and Minnie skirts, we just know how to get ‘er done.
That's a cute picture of the four of you.

I'm glad to hear that you were feeling better by then. :)

It seems like when you enter Disney parks, it is rather like a time warp; before you know it, it’s sundown and the day is over. Poof! Just like that you’ve burned through a ticket day and haven’t done 90% of what was on your list.

How does that happen? Meanwhile, I've been stuck here at work for about 95 hours.

Just in time too, cuz about that time there was a mighty spectacular sunset going down and I framed my favorite photo of the entire trip.

Nice shots! Love the colors.

Not that I hadn’t see it before, but you know, World Showcase is just a different place altogether once the sun goes down.

I love it when the torches go on around the lagoon.

But I assure you, Dear Reader, there was room for one more snack.

Always. Always room at Disney.

It was dry, overcooked, and salty. #whensnacksresemblethesnacker

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Ahh it was so nice to see all of you even if it was brief
All too brief. I did enjoy our visit at the pool a lot more. :)
Every morning around 10am the divers go into the aquarium and feed every fish, sea creatures and turtles. It is amazing to watch. Another new thing we experienced and people say haven’t you seen it all at Disney!

Ohh, I didn't know that!! I should try to catch that next time! :) And yes, I really don't like it when people say, "Haven't you done it all there?!" Um, no, actually I haven't, thank you very much.

I really enjoyed F&G this year, I’m hoping the heat doesn’t make F&W less enjoyable. Eating in the August heat outside is not the best!

I totally agree! The heat does lower the appetite for sure and makes me just not in the mood to try all the things.

I love when Epcot has gorgeous sunsets. :)

OH meeee too!! And luckily I was in the right place at the right time.
That's a cute picture of the four of you.

I'm glad to hear that you were feeling better by then. :)
Not bad except the goober with the sunglasses on. D'oh!!

I can't say I was "better", but it was a good day with the scooter. I tried to stay on it as much as possible for sure.

How does that happen? Meanwhile, I've been stuck here at work for about 95 hours.

Been like that all week for me. <looks at clock> <yep, still 9am, only 10 hours to go>
Nice shots! Love the colors.

Thanks!! Right place at the right time.
I love it when the torches go on around the lagoon.

For sure! Pretty magical, and I'm excited to see how they incorporate it into new show.

I don't think you're on my FB feed anymore.

I'm not on FB much anymore, but I haven't seen any posts from you lately. I went to your page over the weekend. Maybe that will cause your posts to show up again. There are lots of people who post things and I don't see it. One of my friends posted from the Grand the other day on a day that we would be meeting for a park day. I never saw his post while all my other friends including Fran had commented on it.

it was time to head out for a whirlwind tour of the World… Showcase.

Fun! I miss it!

Topiaries roll my wagon and I’m just geeky enough to have stopped to read a bit more about Disney Horticulture.

I do love the topiaries at F&G!

But just for a minute. It seems like when you enter Disney parks, it is rather like a time warp; before you know it, it’s sundown and the day is over. Poof!

It's more like I get in the park and poof! My energy is drained when I'm leaving!

I wish I could say what I did for the rest of the afternoon other than enjoy World Showcase.

That's why I take a lot of pictures! Memory sucks!

Just in time too, cuz about that time there was a mighty spectacular sunset going down and I framed my favorite photo of the entire trip.

That is a beautiful photo!

Yes it is. Sadly I rarely see it.

One item I’d enjoyed during the Epic Girls trip was the ham and cheese pretzel thingy in Germany, so I had high hopes for this. It was as disappointing as most of the stocks I bought last year. You win some, you lose some. And some just suck- like this one. It was dry, overcooked, and salty.

That just looks gross.

Always look on the bright side..... :flower3

Me too. I mean, isn't that half the fun of Flower and Garden? :confused3

Yep, four grown women having the best time and living the best life. With Pluto purses and Minnie skirts, we just know how to get ‘er done.

Disney friends are some of the best kinds of friends. :goodvibes How great you all were able to meet up for a bit and take some photographs together.

I framed my favorite photo of the entire trip. (the first one) EPCOT simply does not get much lovelier. I lingered. Because who wouldn’t?

Oh my, that's a beautiful picture! Stunning.

Very true. Although, like you said, during festival times, it can be a bit too much.

That was one sad looking pretzel. What a shame your last snack of the evening was a bust.

Checking in -- waaay late. Wonderful reads and photos - as usual.

Thank you for your trip reports - they keep me connected to the Dis Family, WDW, and give me a sense of purpose.

2020 - 21 have not been good to me.
I'm just now starting to come out of Stage: Depression, and enter Stage: Recovery.
I just might have found the 'push' I need to take some time in 'my happy place'

It took me a a while, but I'm here! I can't believe you managed a Disney trip while in surgical recovery, but I'm so glad to get the chance to read about it. I've missed you and your DIS reports while I've been away, Liesa!

As we all know, every trip has its unique nuances, its ups and downs. This was filled with a few extra downs, but I’ll get to that in due time.

Absolutely. But sorry there were some extra downs on this particular trip :(

For those of you who are Old Timers, WELCOME BACK!! Whether you're new to me or have been around a while, you're all friends!

Thanks! I'm not super old, but feeling a little older every morning these days it seems 😆

(Grandbaby #2 who I get to spend the most time with)

What a sweetie! You're blessed with such a fabulous family.

Favorite Snack- Peter Pan Float

I think you're the first person I've seen post this as their favourite snack.

However, THIS time I’ve chosen to go back to a chronological style for sake of ease and because my creativity for writing is waning.

:eek: No. Way.!!! I've loved all your reports that I've read, and I've found all of them engaging and creative (including what I've read of this one so far,) but there's something to be said for going back to basics and recounting the story as it happened moment to moment. I like both approaches, but I'm good with a chronological approach this time. I don't think it's a reflection of your creativity :)

And as wonderful as she is, there were some adjustments I had to make, none too huge or trip-busting. I’ll get to those.

Yep, I can imagine that. Some people just travel together better than others I guess, and Disney travel is a whole other beast! For example, we loved travelling with my mom and grandmother, but we had to make changes here and there to accommodate them that we wouldn't have if it had been just me and Nathan. And when it was the day with my in-laws, even more substantial changes! It happens.

The fact that they are truly amazing AND that they are slowing down BOTH played parts in the trip dynamics… but we’ll get to that.

Interested to hear more.

I rented a scooter!!! SAVED. MY. LIFE! Mom rented one too. Saved her life and probably made the trip even possible in the first place for her.

What a great idea! So glad you and your mom were able to do this to get the most out of your trips without mobility concerns!

I will save you the suspense and let you know that my underwear somehow managed to make it safely in the belly of the plane. But let’s not rush this tale.

:rotfl: Inquiring minds wanted to know!

I might add this was my very first driving at the 2-week mark when I was allowed to. EVERYTHING I did was slow and deliberate; EVERYTHING took me about twice as long as it normally would.

I can only imagine! I remember how slow I was after my neurosurgery, and that would have had less of an effect on my mobility than abdominal surgery would for sure. I hope you were kind to yourself and treated yourself gently in recovery.

A pre-check with the airline, then a thorough re-check with the Truly Sadistic Administration, and the most “exhilarating” pat down I’ve had in a while. Duly deemed safe <insert gigantic eyeroll here> to fly, I was free to "race" to my next destination.

:rotfl: Oh dear! :eek:

I ordered this one in particular protest over my lost Italy trip and my time in Puglia. I’m not even a little bit bitter.

I wondered whether this trip was postponed or cancelled, etc. So sad for you. I know how excited you were for this. I hope you get there someday soon!

I remember I had to go down an elevator, through some long halls, all the way to some other terminal, and I literally know for a fact I could not have done with it without that walker. I used it to put my stuff on (it had that seat on it) and I slowly, with baby steps, made my way there. Thank Goodness I had 3 hours to get there. It took me 30 minutes.

Oof!

When I woke up, I went to plug in my phone to the portable charger you saw earlier and well… I couldn’t. Know why? Cuz it was still plugged in Seattle or in some new owner’s hot little hands on its way to Philly or New York or Mumbai. D’oh!!!!

Oh no! I would definitely do something like this. That stinks!

the cushy digs of our Nemo Room. Yes, as Kari shared, we’d been upgraded to a suite, which was good… and terrible.

An upgrade sounds great! More space for three adults can't be bad, right? ...except now that I've read further along, I know where the "terrible" part comes in. Ugggh.

We stayed one solitary night in a Cars suite in our second-to-last trip before covid. I'm sliiiiiiightly considering trip reporting that trip, but god only knows how well I did trying to finish my last report! :laughing: Point being that I fell in love with it, and we had an awesome stay that night. But I was fortunate not to have that experience with the noise, and I wonder if we'd stayed longer if we would have noticed it in the Cars section too or not. So sorry this was the case for you!!

“Dude!!! I freaking can’t tie my own shoes! Or even take a shower really. I can’t get 'down under there'.” <Luggage Guy goes above and beyond> “I’m so sorry, it must have gotten wet when it rained. We can have one there by tomorrow morning.”

Great. Fantastic.

There may or may not have been a few tears.

That's completely unacceptable. :sad2: I can't imagine that they're truly incapable of having an extra scooter on standby and getting someone to special deliver it in these cases, or have a technician come, etc. But I'm glad that at the very least you were able to get it the next day.

She filled me in on her ME adventure which, she said, was very smooth and easy to navigate. I’m really going to miss that.

I'll miss it too! We often rent a car or drive down, but for those times we didn't the ME was such an important staple. I'm very disappointed it was cut.

(I look so terrible and tired!!!)

Noo wayy! Not terrible at all. You're lovely! But tired? Yeah, maybe a bit.

so first stop- The Bakery. I got a savory veggie scone or something, and I think Marcia got some coffee cake or such. Luckily, I paid $6 for a pastry I never ate.

Oh I'm sad you never managed to eat your expensive pastry! I was still excited to see this come up in your report though because as someone who can't eat gluten, Erin McKenna's is one of my favourite places in the world. Just to be able to walk in and eat ANYTHING in and of itself is such a treat.

I just know I savored what is quite possibly the most amazing, delicious cocktail I have EVER encountered. Creamy, sweet, but not overly so, full of espresso flavor, just soooo yummy!! Yes, it's an every-time-can’t-miss-it drink for me now. I found a place to revel in this delicacy and did some people watching.

Woah! That's quite the review! Glad it was worth it :)

Marcia, being gluten and dairy-free declined as memory serves and so begun a bit of dining drama. Let me begin by saying I adore her, and her friendship has been a Godsend to me, but I will not lie… accommodating those particular sensitivities was, at times, extremely frustrating and time consuming. To the point that it split us up many times while she focused on food and finding what she could eat. Again, more on this as time goes on.

That's so unfortunate :sad2: As someone with a gluten intolerant life (and who also had to eat dairy-free and many other things-free up until fairly recently,) on the one hand I can sympathize a bit. It sucks to be the person who can't eat what everyone else can, and to feel like you're being a burden or a buzzkill because of your dietary restrictions. I hate when I get invited out to lunch with coworkers for example, and happily accept the invitation, but then have to spend the next 10 minutes frantically searching for menus and reviews online and/or call the restaurant to ensure that I'll be able to eat something when I get there, hopefully not stuck with drinking a soda and awkwardly reassuring my concerned and/or peeved coworkers that it's fine, no big deal, I wasn't really hungry, etc. THAT SAID...as someone who has navigated these very same restrictions and more, and who has a verrrrrry temperamental digestive system, Disney World is the easiest place in the world for me to eat aside from my own kitchen. I'm sure the food booths were a little less convenient for her, as I found it was sometimes difficult to find things I could have at F&G or F&W, but nearly any quick service and table service restaurant should have been able to accommodate those restrictions and more without much trouble. I can think of a few off-hand that don't have many options, but for the most part there's always a restaurant nearby that can accommodate. The only time I would ever feel like a burden trying to eat with others at Disney would be due to the fact that sometimes my meal would take 15-20 minutes to be prepared at a quick service place when everyone else's took 5. That kinda sucks, but I often just travel with Nathan and he's used to it by now so it doesn't really interrupt our plans too much. I'm so sorry for both you and for her that her restrictions made things more challenging for everyone, but if she wasn't too picky about her options then she should have been able to do alright at Disney of all places! I also used to be a very picky eater, and still am to an extent, but I found that having dietary restrictions made me much less picky because I learned to try (and often like or at least tolerate) whatever options were left for me. I also have the benefit of having been to Disney multiple times and having done some research on what to eat and how to order to maximize the fun and minimize the stress, so I have a bit of a leg up on Marcia I suppose!

Not the best I’ve ever had, but decent and not too terribly filling. Which was good. I didn’t want or need “heavy” at all. In fact, in hindsight, after the tomatoes, I’d have done just as well with a light salad or maybe should have gone with the Caprese too.

This looks good! But too bad that you couldn't sit outside with the view.

The choices are fun, but after some online review reading, I’m glad I got the one I did- pistachio toffee chocolate chip:

I've been hearing a lot about this particular cookie the last few days as I catch up on trip reports! It sounds amazing. I love pistachios :)

Let me begin with a comment or two about the tone of this TR. I was not feeling great. In fact, I was not even feeling good or mediocre. I was feeling downright terrible and this, I’m afraid is tainting the tenor of this tale. Instead of painting an “everything-was-magical-and-merry” picture of all things in a happy Disney bubble, I feel a need to keep it honest and real. Not all vacations are great, and while this was in part self-inflicted, many things were not. Some things were out of my control, some were just bad luck, and still others were viewed through a post-surgical lens. I do want to be real with the challenges and yet, still show how I had a great time in general and overcame despite those issues.

No worries, Liesa. :hug: I can't speak for everyone, but I'd certainly prefer the honesty to a phony TR of rainbows and sunshine. Sometimes a trip just isn't quite as magical as others, and that's okay. It's a balance, and we want to hear about the good AND the bad. Most of my Disney trips have been more magical than not, but I've had a few that just downright weren't. One was the last trip I took with my mom before my brain surgery when I first got sick with what we thought at the time was probably a bug, and then never quite recovered again. It put a damper on the whole second half of the trip and influenced everything else that happened. Then Nathan and I had a trip or two, one in particular back when we did runDisney, that was negatively impacted by some stuff we were dealing with in our marriage at the time, and some crappy freezing weather, and negotiating travelling with my family who tours differently than we do, etc. When I look back on those trips, I remember happy things, but also a lot of unmagical stuff, and that's okay. It's okay for your trip report, too. We're still here!

For the next 2 hours, that scene played out about every 5 minutes- out, in, out, in, some laughing, some arguing, slam!, out, in, giggles, suitcases, out, in…. I wanted to scream. Even my low-dose Ambien wouldn’t drown out the conversations of every single person passing by our door. This was NOT an upgrade; it was a little section of Hell reserved for the folks who forgot earplugs. (This would be fixed in a few days, but too late for this resort.)

Oh nooo. Uggghghhhhh.

Okay, I am a person for whom adequate sleep is VERY important. I become a loud and growly bear when I get overtired. Just thinking about this situation is making me feel for you all so much! Especially knowing that you were in recovery and needed that rest even more than usual! I can see why this wasn't a good stay for you in the Nemo suite. :sad1:

The way that the Landscaping Imagineers work so hard at telling the story through the plants is always so amazing to me.

Yes!! Amazing!! How do they make land-plants look like they're underwater! Mindblowing!

These ears are AMAZING. I love them. Flower and Garden at EPCOT is one of my favourite things about this planet, and these ears are perfect.

note about Marcia and coffee- she is extremely particular about her coffee and really only wanted to drink one certain type. I guess that there is one variety that doesn’t produce heartburn for her, but Disney doesn’t sell it. Well, she did find it at ONE $ixbucks the entire trip, but she wasn’t happy. Either she didn’t like it, wasn’t feeling good, or went without making for a very unfortunate situation.

Ohhh boyyyy.

Okay, person with dietary restrictions here again! And I'm absolutely on your side, btw. (I was anyway, obviously. That's what friends are for. But in this particular instance, extra on your side.) That's VERY specific. But I'm sorry, as someone who has to be particular about what I put into my body, if I knew that there was only ONE kind of coffee (or anything for that matter, one particular snack, etc.,) that I could consume, I would either BRING IT WITH ME IN MY SUITCASE (maybe call ahead and ask what kind of coffee makers are in the room so I'm prepared, etc.,) or I'd go without and not put up a stink. Maybe if you can only drink one kind of coffee, it's time to broaden your horizons and become a tea drinker. :confused3 Or juice. Water. Soda with caffeine. Nothing. Or extra strength Rolaids. There are options. Up until very recently I haven't been able to tolerate any coffee, and I always managed just fine. Now I can drink some without too much trouble, and I often do, but I also know my other options. These kind of things would grind my gears a little, even though I'm sure she's a lovely person and I know she's a wonderful friend to you.

Yeah, I was feeling so crappy that I literally did not use my camera even one time. Not in AK, not in Tucson, nowhere. Not once. Every single photo from this TR is with my iPhone. Ah well, ya do what ya gotta do. This was NOT a photography-centric trip and it shows.

:( I know how much a part of your trips your photography usually is! But you managed to get a few great shots so far even with just your iPhone which is also impressive! I'm not the photographer you are by any means, but I also enjoy taking nice pictures with my nice camera on my special vacations. However, there's something to be said for sometimes just going with the flow and snapping a few phone pics here and there when it's convenient, especially since you were already a bit aware of pacing and how to see and do a bit of everything with Marcia, etc. I've had a couple of my more recent trips end up like this, and I definitely didn't have the excuse of being freshly out of surgery! And I kind of enjoyed doing it that way, too.

No worries, whatever photos and text you have to offer us, we'll take it! :goodvibes

But first Soarin’! This is where trouble started to brew… She didn’t feel well afterwards which super bummed me out. (But not nearly as much as it probably bummed HER out!) I don’t think she nor I realized just how easily she gets motion sickness. The Eiffel tower begging for the Little Blue Pill may or may not have a factor. This completely changed the entire strategy and dynamics of the trip moving forward. But I wouldn’t really know to what degree until the next day. I do think she enjoyed the ride while she was on it, but for several hours afterwards she was just feeling really punky.

Ohh nooo Marcia!! :( :( Motion sickness is the wooorrrrsst! As someone with an awkwardly squished cerebellum, I understand this more so than most! :laughing: Soarin' is potentially my second favourite Disney ride of all time (after Splash, naturally.) And I can usually get through it without getting swimmy, BUT I can not keep my eyes open for a couple of brief moments in a couple of the scenes (the pyramids one is the worst for me, and part of the Great Wall,) and I can NOT do it from either of the side sections. I think your assessment about the impotent Eiffel Tower (hehehehehe) is probably very correct. The only times I've tried doing Soarin' without requesting the B section as a motion-sickness prone person, I've been pretty gaggy by the time I stumbled out. I fear that this is going to get worse for you and Marcia before it gets better... :sad1:

she headed towards Mexico, I think? Which would make sense. After hanging around me all morning I’d have a hankering for a margarita too.

:rotfl: Nahh, I'm sure you're a delight! But some people—my grandmother is one of them, which was HARD for me—just like to do their own thing on vacation more than others.

Saving the best for last, the Strawberry Rhubarb Cake- the Star of this year’s Flower and Garden! 10/10 Good enough that I plan to make this when I can get settled. Absolute perfection. Tart, but not overly so. That CREAM! And that caramelized goo on top. Sigh…. it’s the food served beyond the Pearly Gates. I’m certain there are tables of this laid out and it’s all calorie-free. Wish I had a piece of that scrumptious cake right now.

This sounds absolutely heavenly!! :goodvibes:goodvibes I LOVE rhubarb, especially combined with strawberry. I even attempted to grow some at my mom's house last summer but her yard is infested with ants and it didn't survive more than one summer. The rhubarb season here is far too short...I should have frozen some this summer...now I want to bake something with rhubarb in it! :lovestruc

On a side note, I found out today that my son and his household have the virus. Emily, my DIL, is due the 9th and has gotten it worse than the kids. Her doctor advised her not to get vaxxed while pregnant. Andrew was vaxxed and has not gotten it, or at least has no symptoms. He’s having to now quarantine until baby is born. If she hasn’t delivered by the 9th, she’s scheduled for induction and is hoping the 10-day quarantine/disease course is over by then. The kids were very mildly sick over the weekend but are better now. Anyway, anxiously awaiting baby but this wasn’t the best news. My sister and aunt are nearby and have offered to help if they need it.

So sorry to hear that your family got the virus! But glad to know that Emily and the newest arrival are okay. (I creeped your FB this evening and saw the pictures of your precious new grandbaby! What a sweetheart! <3) I hope Andrew is doing okay now.

:lovestruc:lovestruc So much DISfriend love in this photo. I'm envious!

there was a mighty spectacular sunset going down and I framed my favorite photo of the entire trip. (the first one) EPCOT simply does not get much lovelier. I lingered. Because who wouldn’t?

This is gorgeous! :eek: Nice photo and composition, and excellent subject matter to work with. I love EPCOT at sunset...and sunrise...and every other time in between and after.

Amen! I'm sorry it was rough, but I hope things start looking up a little more from here!

I'm not on FB much anymore, but I haven't seen any posts from you lately. I went to your page over the weekend. Maybe that will cause your posts to show up again. There are lots of people who post things and I don't see it. One of my friends posted from the Grand the other day on a day that we would be meeting for a park day. I never saw his post while all my other friends including Fran had commented on it.

That is so weird! I hate FB algorithms most of the time.
I do love the topiaries at F&G!

They are so darned creative and fun! Some whimsical, some just beautiful!
It's more like I get in the park and poof! My energy is drained when I'm leaving!

I'm learning to pace myself a bit better these days! Age stinks.

That's why I take a lot of pictures! Memory sucks!

OH how I can relate to that! :/
Always look on the bright side..... :flower3

It's getting harder and harder to find them.

Checking in -- waaay late. Wonderful reads and photos - as usual.

Thank you for your trip reports - they keep me connected to the Dis Family, WDW, and give me a sense of purpose.

2020 - 21 have not been good to me.
I'm just now starting to come out of Stage: Depression, and enter Stage: Recovery.
I just might have found the 'push' I need to take some time in 'my happy place'
Awww, Darlin'! You need a big, tight DISHug! :yes: I will confess, the last couple of years has been pretty rough on me too in some personal as well as in some broad-based, universal ways. And yet, there have been some incredible highs as well, so I guess, and I'm NOT saying this is easy, take the good moments and count the blessings. Recovery, from any grief or hurt, missed opportunity, whatever is never on a time line, so be kind to yourself and enjoy the little victories as you can! :hug:

I hope you can find a little joy here as I post, but the chapters may be sparse for a spell as I finish up my packing and move prep and actually start out on our Mammoth Road Trip! :)

Holy Crap!! When Meghan shows up, it's in a spectacular way!!

:scared1:

<loves every bit of banter and gleefully multi-quotes back>

It took me a a while, but I'm here! I can't believe you managed a Disney trip while in surgical recovery, but I'm so glad to get the chance to read about it. I've missed you and your DIS reports while I've been away, Liesa!

I've definitely missed you too!!! So many of my long-term readers have fallen off the radar (although I do still see some around) and whether that's due to Covid or lack of enthusiasm for trips or just busy-ness, I don't know, but I do miss them greatly!

Absolutely. But sorry there were some extra downs on this particular trip :(

Heh, some were definitely of my own making!

Thanks! I'm not super old, but feeling a little older every morning these days it seems 😆

I think Covid did that to just about EVERYONE!!!

What a sweetie! You're blessed with such a fabulous family.

They are pretty great! Wish I could spend more time with them, but I'll take what I can get.

I think you're the first person I've seen post this as their favourite snack.

I'm just not a big fan of sweets in general, so the fact that this one is a bit tart is right up my alley!!

:eek: No. Way.!!! I've loved all your reports that I've read, and I've found all of them engaging and creative (including what I've read of this one so far,) but there's something to be said for going back to basics and recounting the story as it happened moment to moment. I like both approaches, but I'm good with a chronological approach this time. I don't think it's a reflection of your creativity :)

I know!! Shocking, right?! And, I'm definitely going to have to rely on photos more than usual because I took so few notes!!

Yep, I can imagine that. Some people just travel together better than others I guess, and Disney travel is a whole other beast! For example, we loved travelling with my mom and grandmother, but we had to make changes here and there to accommodate them that we wouldn't have if it had been just me and Nathan. And when it was the day with my in-laws, even more substantial changes! It happens.

I feel like Disney sort of compounds any travel companion challenges- like amplifies them or bubbles them to the surface. People get hot and sweaty, are spending inordinate amounts of cash, have high expectations, and boom!!! Words come out, tudes get out-of-controlly. ;)

What a great idea! So glad you and your mom were able to do this to get the most out of your trips without mobility concerns!

For SURE!! I would NOT want to have to depend on one all the time, and I'm super glad they are available to allow those who do to enjoy a nice vacation mobility-hinderance-free!

I can only imagine! I remember how slow I was after my neurosurgery, and that would have had less of an effect on my mobility than abdominal surgery would for sure. I hope you were kind to yourself and treated yourself gently in recovery.

I tried my best, but still hurt most of the time. But Disney sure eased the frustrations that could have been a vacay-disqualifier.

I wondered whether this trip was postponed or cancelled, etc. So sad for you. I know how excited you were for this. I hope you get there someday soon!

For now, just cancelled. :( I just don't know when or how it could happen with new expenses. I wanted to travel and chose to blow my $$ on Disney and other vacations now knowing when I could re-schedule. Or if.

An upgrade sounds great! More space for three adults can't be bad, right? ...except now that I've read further along, I know where the "terrible" part comes in. Ugggh.

Yeah... that. Why on Earth would they not better sound proof a hallway like that?!

We stayed one solitary night in a Cars suite in our second-to-last trip before covid. I'm sliiiiiiightly considering trip reporting that trip, but god only knows how well I did trying to finish my last report! :laughing: Point being that I fell in love with it, and we had an awesome stay that night. But I was fortunate not to have that experience with the noise, and I wonder if we'd stayed longer if we would have noticed it in the Cars section too or not. So sorry this was the case for you!!
Loved my Cars room!! Seriously!!

If you do start a TR, please PM me. As I always say, I don't scan the list and would prefer people just tell me, "Come read!".

That's completely unacceptable. :sad2: I can't imagine that they're truly incapable of having an extra scooter on standby and getting someone to special deliver it in these cases, or have a technician come, etc. But I'm glad that at the very least you were able to get it the next day.

^ THIS!!! ^

>:(

I was fine with it, but it sure made our first dinner at DTD tough and painful. It's truly not acceptable for folks who routinely have a harder time that myself.

I'll miss it too! We often rent a car or drive down, but for those times we didn't the ME was such an important staple. I'm very disappointed it was cut.

Me too, and price increases, and the new AP pricing, and, and, and...

Noo wayy! Not terrible at all. You're lovely! But tired? Yeah, maybe a bit.

;) My color comes back by the end of the vacation. :)

Oh I'm sad you never managed to eat your expensive pastry! I was still excited to see this come up in your report though because as someone who can't eat gluten, Erin McKenna's is one of my favourite places in the world. Just to be able to walk in and eat ANYTHING in and of itself is such a treat.

I know!! I often do this at Disney, or on most of my vacations, for that matter. The portions, while smaller than say a few years ago, are still quite large and I can never eat it all. Plus, I always have these fun food plans and often bite off more than I can chew. Quite literally. I save a lot of my leftovers from dinners with great intentions and fail to rise to the challenge.

Woah! That's quite the review! Glad it was worth it :)
I could suck one of those down right NOW!

That's so unfortunate :sad2: As someone with a gluten intolerant life (and who also had to eat dairy-free and many other things-free up until fairly recently,) on the one hand I can sympathize a bit. It sucks to be the person who can't eat what everyone else can, and to feel like you're being a burden or a buzzkill because of your dietary restrictions. I hate when I get invited out to lunch with coworkers for example, and happily accept the invitation, but then have to spend the next 10 minutes frantically searching for menus and reviews online and/or call the restaurant to ensure that I'll be able to eat something when I get there, hopefully not stuck with drinking a soda and awkwardly reassuring my concerned and/or peeved coworkers that it's fine, no big deal, I wasn't really hungry, etc. THAT SAID...as someone who has navigated these very same restrictions and more, and who has a verrrrrry temperamental digestive system, Disney World is the easiest place in the world for me to eat aside from my own kitchen. I'm sure the food booths were a little less convenient for her, as I found it was sometimes difficult to find things I could have at F&G or F&W, but nearly any quick service and table service restaurant should have been able to accommodate those restrictions and more without much trouble. I can think of a few off-hand that don't have many options, but for the most part there's always a restaurant nearby that can accommodate. The only time I would ever feel like a burden trying to eat with others at Disney would be due to the fact that sometimes my meal would take 15-20 minutes to be prepared at a quick service place when everyone else's took 5. That kinda sucks, but I often just travel with Nathan and he's used to it by now so it doesn't really interrupt our plans too much. I'm so sorry for both you and for her that her restrictions made things more challenging for everyone, but if she wasn't too picky about her options then she should have been able to do alright at Disney of all places! I also used to be a very picky eater, and still am to an extent, but I found that having dietary restrictions made me much less picky because I learned to try (and often like or at least tolerate) whatever options were left for me. I also have the benefit of having been to Disney multiple times and having done some research on what to eat and how to order to maximize the fun and minimize the stress, so I have a bit of a leg up on Marcia I suppose!

OH don't get me wrong, I was sympathetic and certainly didn't get angry about it, but in my defense, I did try to show her menus, encouraged her to look at places online and made suggestions along the way knowing what I know. I do remember the Festival menus were printed in our little book with little symbols for dairy/gluten free, so I think it was a combination of being intolerant AND a bit on the picky side. Not a good combination. Most places were super accommadating though. :)

This looks good! But too bad that you couldn't sit outside with the view.

I was admittedly sad about that. Glad things are opening back up on a broader scale and things are getting staffed up again!!

I've been hearing a lot about this particular cookie the last few days as I catch up on trip reports! It sounds amazing. I love pistachios :)

Soooo rich and HUGE!! I'd get it again just to bring home; it was still pretty good even after a few days.

No worries, Liesa. :hug: I can't speak for everyone, but I'd certainly prefer the honesty to a phony TR of rainbows and sunshine. Sometimes a trip just isn't quite as magical as others, and that's okay. It's a balance, and we want to hear about the good AND the bad. Most of my Disney trips have been more magical than not, but I've had a few that just downright weren't. One was the last trip I took with my mom before my brain surgery when I first got sick with what we thought at the time was probably a bug, and then never quite recovered again. It put a damper on the whole second half of the trip and influenced everything else that happened. Then Nathan and I had a trip or two, one in particular back when we did runDisney, that was negatively impacted by some stuff we were dealing with in our marriage at the time, and some crappy freezing weather, and negotiating travelling with my family who tours differently than we do, etc. When I look back on those trips, I remember happy things, but also a lot of unmagical stuff, and that's okay. It's okay for your trip report, too. We're still here!

I guess it just keeps it real and relatable. Also, maybe they (the chapters) will help anyone who's new to Disney learn a few tricks that may be useful. For those of my readers, such as yourself, it'll be like learning another side to touring for someone who's done it a while. I think now enough time has gone by that the worst of the "hard" has faded and a lot of happy memories are left. :goodvibes:

Okay, I am a person for whom adequate sleep is VERY important. I become a loud and growly bear when I get overtired. Just thinking about this situation is making me feel for you all so much! Especially knowing that you were in recovery and needed that rest even more than usual! I can see why this wasn't a good stay for you in the Nemo suite. :sad1:

I try really hard to stay "nice" when overly tired, but there were a few moments I was pretty testy on the inside. The eyerolls get bigger and the inner dialogue gets saltier. And I do think a fair amount was escalated by uncomfortable and lacking sleep. Such a shame.

Yes!! Amazing!! How do they make land-plants look like they're underwater! Mindblowing!

I think the BEST examples of this are indeed in the Nemo section and the Living Seas. So cool!

These ears are AMAZING. I love them. Flower and Garden at EPCOT is one of my favourite things about this planet, and these ears are perfect.

I got them for the Epic Girls Trip and have made sure to use them again at F&G. I don't have a ton of pairs of them, but I do love them.

Ohhh boyyyy.

Okay, person with dietary restrictions here again! And I'm absolutely on your side, btw. (I was anyway, obviously. That's what friends are for. But in this particular instance, extra on your side.) That's VERY specific. But I'm sorry, as someone who has to be particular about what I put into my body, if I knew that there was only ONE kind of coffee (or anything for that matter, one particular snack, etc.,) that I could consume, I would either BRING IT WITH ME IN MY SUITCASE (maybe call ahead and ask what kind of coffee makers are in the room so I'm prepared, etc.,) or I'd go without and not put up a stink. Maybe if you can only drink one kind of coffee, it's time to broaden your horizons and become a tea drinker. :confused3 Or juice. Water. Soda with caffeine. Nothing. Or extra strength Rolaids. There are options. Up until very recently I haven't been able to tolerate any coffee, and I always managed just fine. Now I can drink some without too much trouble, and I often do, but I also know my other options. These kind of things would grind my gears a little, even though I'm sure she's a lovely person and I know she's a wonderful friend to you.

I thought it was a bit "extra" too. I'm pretty picky about my coffee but just about ANY latte made with espresso works and I will happily pass up a brewed coffee if that's all their is. I just know that in Disney, park time is $$$$ and and spending up to an hour hunting for one cuppa isn't something I wanna do. And like you say, just be prepared....

:( I know how much a part of your trips your photography usually is! But you managed to get a few great shots so far even with just your iPhone which is also impressive! I'm not the photographer you are by any means, but I also enjoy taking nice pictures with my nice camera on my special vacations. However, there's something to be said for sometimes just going with the flow and snapping a few phone pics here and there when it's convenient, especially since you were already a bit aware of pacing and how to see and do a bit of everything with Marcia, etc. I've had a couple of my more recent trips end up like this, and I definitely didn't have the excuse of being freshly out of surgery! And I kind of enjoyed doing it that way, too.

No worries, whatever photos and text you have to offer us, we'll take it! :goodvibes

And there is a lot more to come too, some pretty good ones, some so-so, but I confess, you are right.... it was very freeing to just grab the phone and go.

Ohh nooo Marcia!! :( :( Motion sickness is the wooorrrrsst! As someone with an awkwardly squished cerebellum, I understand this more so than most! :laughing: Soarin' is potentially my second favourite Disney ride of all time (after Splash, naturally.) And I can usually get through it without getting swimmy, BUT I can not keep my eyes open for a couple of brief moments in a couple of the scenes (the pyramids one is the worst for me, and part of the Great Wall,) and I can NOT do it from either of the side sections. I think your assessment about the impotent Eiffel Tower (hehehehehe) is probably very correct. The only times I've tried doing Soarin' without requesting the B section as a motion-sickness prone person, I've been pretty gaggy by the time I stumbled out. I fear that this is going to get worse for you and Marcia before it gets better... :sad1:

It was really like that for her. I was so sad, not for me so much because I have done the rides and fairly recently too, but for her because I knew how much she was missing out.

:rotfl: Nahh, I'm sure you're a delight! But some people—my grandmother is one of them, which was HARD for me—just like to do their own thing on vacation more than others.
This sounds absolutely heavenly!! :goodvibes:goodvibes I LOVE rhubarb, especially combined with strawberry. I even attempted to grow some at my mom's house last summer but her yard is infested with ants and it didn't survive more than one summer. The rhubarb season here is far too short...I should have frozen some this summer...now I want to bake something with rhubarb in it! :lovestruc
So sorry to hear that your family got the virus! But glad to know that Emily and the newest arrival are okay. (I creeped your FB this evening and saw the pictures of your precious new grandbaby! What a sweetheart! <3) I hope Andrew is doing okay now.
:lovestruc:lovestruc So much DISfriend love in this photo. I'm envious!
This is gorgeous! :eek: Nice photo and composition, and excellent subject matter to work with. I love EPCOT at sunset...and sunrise...and every other time in between and after.
Amen! I'm sorry it was rough, but I hope things start looking up a little more from here!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter