An annual thread remembering Sylvia's birthday, 50 years ago, and more new pictures..

Dan Murphy

We are family.
--click for sound

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high
And the dreams that you dreamed of
Once in a lullaby
Somewhere over the rainbow
Blue birds fly
And the dreams that you dreamed of
Dreams really do come true
Someday I'll wish upon a star
Wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where trouble melts like lemon drops
High above the chimney tops is where you'll find me
Somewhere over the rainbow bluebirds fly
And the dreams that you dare to, oh why, oh why can't I?
Well I see trees of green and Red roses too,
I'll watch then bloom for me and you
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world
Well I see skies of blue and I see clouds of white
And the brightness of day
I like the dark and I think to myself
What a wonderful world
The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people passing by
I see friends shaking hands
Saying, "How do you do?"
They're really saying, I...I love you
I hear babies cry and I watch them grow,
They'll learn much more than
We'll know
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world
Someday I'll wish upon a star,
Wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where trouble melts like lemon drops
High above the chimney tops is where you'll find me
Somewhere over the rainbow way up high
And the dreams that you dare to, ... why, oh why can't I

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

Remembering our friend Sylvia today......​

PROD_0258160_LG.gif

January 14th, 1962. A little girl was born up in Canada. Her folks named her Sylvia. When Sylvia grew up, she had a son, and named him Nick. Sylvia became ill in 1998 with Inflammatory Breast Cancer, same as another DIS friend, Lisa (Tiger Fan), who passed just a bit more than 4 years ago, blessed us all here on the DIS with her presence for a short period of time, and passed away June 7, 2001. She made a big impact on me and others, and I, along with others here on the DIS, have kept her memory lit.

What I have to remember Sylvia with is limited to the pictures below, along with several others sent to me over the years, my recollections of her, here on the DIS, my phone and board conversations with her over the months while she was here, conversations with her mom since her passing, my memories. As I have said in past years, I apologize for pretty much duplicating this thread a couple times a year (though a few new items below this year), on her birthday and her day of passing, but I do know many new folks come to the DIS, and never knew Sylvia, and this is about all I can do with what I have of memories and photos. I also know many who do enjoy seeing her a few times a year, albeit the same pictures, almost the same words, the same thoughts. So, with these few pictures, mine and others recollections, I try to have others share a life, Sylvia's.

Take a moment, relax, enjoy a life, Sylvia's......

Many folks here on the DIS, who have come here in the past 10 1/2 years, are not familiar with Sylvia, did not know Sylvia, though do see periodic references to her in posts every now and then, or in memorial clipart in some DIS'ers signatures, like mine below. Sylvia came to the DIS, in early 2000, like most of us, searching for some Disney answers, and she found the DIS, the DIS family, and likewise, that DIS family found Sylvia. She came, looking to make a magical trip to Disney World, a spur of the moment trip, for her and her son, Nick, then about 5 years old, shortly before she was about to restart chemo, due to a recurrence of her breast cancer, originally diagnosed and initially treated in mid 1998. Sylvia was able to go, making lifelong memories for little Nick. Some folks on the DIS helped indeed make her and Nick's WDW trip a reality, a magical memory for both. Shortly after that trip, Sylvia's health, suffering the ravages of her breast cancer, slowly deteriorated, with her finally passing, June 7th, 2001. A very sad day, a sad time here on the DIS for our family here. Our friend, Sylvia, here on the DIS for less that 18 months, and passing away 9 1/2 years ago, made a very lasting and indelible impression and memory on so many, myself among them. Today, we celebrate the happiness of Sylvia's birth, 49 years ago.

As with this day, and a few more throughout the year, I try to call/email Sylvia's mom, Margarete. And with this year’s posting here, I have some new pictures to add. See below. Nick is about 18 now. :faint:

In Sylvia's memory, let us all try to do our part in maintaining good health. Make that appointment to get checked up....today

Komen.gif

About one year before Sylvia passed away, another young DIS'er, Tink 2300, aka Stephanie, also passed away. And in past years, we lost Robin and Beverly Lynn, two more young women in the prime of their lives. Three young children, Nick, Caitlyn and Aryn lost their moms way too early in life. Keep their memories alive, Steph, Sylvia, Robin, Beverly Lynn. Also, in past years, we also lost DIS'ers Montessori, FloridaCat, Tigger13, Richyams, FaithinKarma, JudySue, Hurricanpatti (aka Hanname), ILUVDXL, Tigger13, Hilside, Herclover, MinnieM3 (Beth), Marlasmom, Julie_yet, and as said, just 4 years ago, same disease as Sylvia, Lisa. In 2010, our good friend Kama89 (Kim), passed away from breast cancer, and her young son, Cameron, now without his mom. And just late last year, Robin Costello (Delswife) passed away. Please remember all these good people (and others if I have missed their names), all family members of our DIS community and family. :hug:

Here are a few pictures I have of Sylvia that I think give a little insight into this lovely lady, a friend I never met........

Sylvia4_312X450.jpg

This was taken on Sylvia's last birthday while with us,
January, 2001, just 5 months
prior to her death. Great smile, no??

Sylvia5_600X413.jpg

Taken about 1 year after diagnosis with Dan, a good friend who
shared with Sylvia in her last couple years, enjoying nature, enjoying life.

Sylvia6_330X450.jpg

This is Christmas of '98, with Nick. Sylvia felt
comfortable with
her baldness, a necessary side effect of getting well she said.

A few pictures from Sylvia's healthier days......

Sylvia1_545X450.jpg

This picture is of Sylvia, Nick and Dan's DD, Emma.

Sylvia2_299X450.jpg

What a great picture of a great lady!!!! This picture was taken
about 6 months before she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Sylvia loved the outdoors and animals.
She was especially fond of otters.

Sylvia3_600X443.jpg

This one also was taken shortly before she was diagnosed, a
great picture of Sylvia and little Nick.

Sylvia7_596X450.jpg

And all throughout her illness, what a strong lady!!!!
Anyone see a frown?
Always smiling, that was Sylvia.

Love you, miss ya, Syl, friend.

AvonBear.gif

And here below, pictures of Nick, growing up.

A picture here of Nick, around the time Sylvia came to the DIS, along with their two beautiful Malamutes

nickdogs.jpg

Picture of Nick, about age 7

Nick2002.jpg

Nick, some years back, age 9 here

SylviaNick-2004.jpg

sylvia3.gif

Sylvia's mom, Margarete, with whom I have kept a dialog going over the years, sent me these couple updated ones
after I talked to her in January on Sylvia's birthday some years ago.

NickMargarete2007A.jpg

NickMargarete2007B.jpg

The pictures here are of both Nick, and his grandma, Margarete, Sylvia's mom. They were taken at Christmas, 2007.
Nick sure has grown, from those early pictures of years ago, when Sylvia was here, as well as several after; looking like a fine young man.

Margarete said to me....."Sylvia would have been so proud of him."

And now here, several additional pictures Margarete sent me from 2008.
(and some neat news to share after the pictures).

NickandMargareteChristmas2008.jpg

This picture is of Margarete and Nick, one year after those two Christmas ones above. This is Christmas, 2008.

Nickandgirlfriendsummer2010.jpg

This one is of Nick and his girlfriend from summer 2010, while on a family vacation at a cottage. I told Margarete I got such a kick out of the look on her face….”Oh no, another picture!!”
(I did ask Margarete’s permission in posting this and all the pictures she has sent, and she said ‘for sure’.

Nickandgirlfriendcampfiresummer2010.jpg

Another here of Nick and his girlfriend, an evening campfire at the cottage.

Nickincanoesummer2010-1.jpg

And lastly, this one of Nick in a canoe out on the lake, reminds me so much of his mom in the picture above of Sylvia in the boat fishing.
Margarete says he loves the outdoors, just like his mom.

And in late 2010, Margarete emailed me, asking me if I could help her plan a trip for her, her husband and Nick, destination…..Disney World!!! She wanted to take Nick back to WDW for a fun, early in the year trip. Margarete said she was last there when Sylvia was 12 years old, so like 38 years ago. Only the Magic Kingdom back then. And Nick was last there when he was about 5, when Sylvia came here to get help in planning that trip.

I told Margarete, ‘for sure!’. So we had a fun time over the months, exchanging ideas on dates (early Feb, great time to go), resorts, transportation, dining, and a lot of the little nuances many of us take for granted….Fastpass, EMH, park hoppers, etc. I really enjoyed the journey from my seat here, and feel like Sylvia is watching over all the planning and that it will be a super trip for the three of them.

Margarete and her husband, Nick and a friend, did get to Disney World in Feb last year. She said they had a blast. In fact, they are planning a return trip right now, for 2012. :woohoo: Pictures that Margarete sent me from their trip last year are below.

So, there it is, an annual repeat thread, but with a few things new. Sylvia continues to be a presence.

Eeyore.jpg

Sylvia was a wonderful lady​

A good site to visit, many great items of help here......

Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation

And today, here on the DIS, we have many breast cancer survivors,
many in remission, many still fighting the battle.
Maybe stop by and say hello......

Dis Breast Cancer Survivors, IV - GAGWTA! (Greetings and good wishes to all!)

Dan

PS: Also, a bit of apology to those who have seen this similar thread several times in the past over the years on Sylvia’s birthday and anniversary of her passing. I do try to keep Sylvia's memory here, as do others, yet have a finite number of pictures and memories to share. Thanks

Many also who would remember Sylvia are no longer here, for various reasons, though I know they do keep her in their memories. :sad1:

Several more pictures from Sylvia’s mom
and Nick’s trip to WDW back in February, 2011 follow below.​

Nick and his buddy, along with Nick’s grandma, Margarete and her husband, all went to Disney World back in February, 2011. They had a wonderful time according to Margarete. I called one evening, Margarete and her husband were out shopping at DtD, but I was able to talk a bit, for the first time ever, to Nick, and his buddy a bit too. I felt I was talking to a celebrity. I was!! And I was very happy to have helped them a bit in their planning.

Arrival.jpg

Nick and his buddy, arriving at the resort, apparently excited!!

Chipmunks.jpg

Nick with Chip n’ Dale

Illuminations.jpg

Illuminations, always beautiful, has Sylvia written all over it.

InfrontofDolphinfountain.jpg

Nick and his buddy in front of the magnificent Dolphin fountain.

Intheroom.jpg

And here Nick and his buddy relaxing in their room. Looks nice.

LatenightBBgame.jpg

The two of them on the Swan Dolphin basketball court for a late night pick up game.

MargareteandFriendship.jpg

Margarete, Friendship and Swan in the background.

MargareteatBigRiver.jpg

Margarete at Big River Grill.

NickonSwanbridge.jpg

Nick and friend trekking over the S/D bridge on way to the Boardwalk.

PlutoandGoofy.jpg

Pluto, Goofy, Nick and buddy.

Stitch.jpg

And finally, Nick and Stitch.

So very happy Nick, Margarete and her husband, along with Nick's buddy, all enjoyed Disney World as they did. I am sure the memories of Sylvia traveled with them all. And now they are planning a return trip this year. :cloud9:

Yes, I agree with you, love to keep the the past alive with these wonderful memories. Thanks for postin' this, Dan. :goodvibes

Thank you so much Dan. You brought me to tears. It feels like only yesterday that Sylvia was here with us on the DIS. Thank you for the update on Nick and how he is doing.

I have a good friend that is fighting breast cancer now; my heart goes out to all those other families out there fighting this terrible disease.

I joined the DIS long after Sylvia passed away. This beautiful tribute and update on her son and mom, make me very sorry that I missed that time! :hug:

Thank you Dan for these wonderful memories of Silvia and thanks too for the update on Nick .:grouphug:

I remember her, I thought for sure she was gonna beat it. Life is so sad sometimes. But I do love it when we see so many people here on the dis that does win that battle

Dan, this is the first time I have seen your beautiful tribute to Sylvia :goodvibes Thanks for keeping the memory alive :thanks:

That was a wonderful update and a great tribute to Sylvia Dan. Time goes by way too fast, but life does go on. It doesn't surprise me that they stayed at the Swan/ Dolphin with you helping to plan their trip ;)
Scott

Thank you very much. I believe I remember "seeing" Sylvia on the dis and remember when she died.

Was she the poster that had Eeyore with her screen name? Her son looks happy.

Thank you very much. What a wonderful dis tribute.

I can't believe that another year has passed already!! Time does fly faster as you get older, as they say, and I now believe it. Thank you Dan, for your annual remembrance of Sylvia. I remember reading her posts, and was very sad when she passed. I am so glad that you got to talk to Nick, and it looks like he had a great time at WDW.
Dan, you are always so eloquent in what you say, and posts like these remind me of it so much more all the time,
Thanks for remembering, for sharing and allowing us DIS'ers to reflect and remember along with you!
Lynn

Thank you for the wonderful tribute. Sylvia surely was loved and now is really missed. I agree with you, that picture of Nick in the canoe is very touching.

God Bless You Dan for always remembering - and for reminding all of us!!

:wizard:

A wonderful tribute. Thanks for including Robin....LYMI

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter