An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2. I disagree with the new policy and will stay offsite because Disney continues to raise cost and significantly reduce the quality of their product. I can now get almost all of the same Disney "perks" by booking a Disney Springs resort. Along with nicer room, other added perks, all at a significant cost savings. In fact I already cancelled a Disney resort and rebooked at one of the Disney Springs Resorts for an upcoming conference. I have a nicer guaranteed king room, I get to use points, FP 60, 180 day dining, park transportation and do not disturb, and even free parking is included in my rate.

Last edited:
. These people will fill the hotels to capacity, meaning that Disney really doesn't have to, and really shouldn't, care about the rest of us.

I cannot agree with you in this regard. Yes, right now it seems as though people will pay untold amounts of money to stay onsite, enter parks, book FP, and to dine in restaurants. For now. But it does seem t me that Disney knows they have issues to deal with, and should know that tomorrow all bets could be off.

If you follow the "last straw" kinds of threads you can see that those folks so invested in Disney do have a line in the sand, and are taking steps when that line is crossed. No one knows what tomorrow's economy will bring, and Disney needs to plan for a downfall JIC. I have no idea why Disney does what it does, although I do speculate, and some of the steps that have been taken seen to point to ensuring people who fly into Orlando stay onsite, folks who stay onsite choose a dining plan, and those who choose dining plans need to buy just a tad more.

Disney does need to care about guest satisfaction because once the value vs frustration escalates beyond a boiling point they lose not only those loyal to Disney, but all those who the loyalists complain to.

I cannot agree with you in this regard. Yes, right now it seems as though people will pay untold amounts of money to stay onsite, enter parks, book FP, and to dine in restaurants. For now. But it does seem t me that Disney knows they have issues to deal with, and should know that tomorrow all bets could be off.

If you follow the "last straw" kinds of threads you can see that those folks so invested in Disney do have a line in the sand, and are taking steps when that line is crossed. No one knows what tomorrow's economy will bring, and Disney needs to plan for a downfall JIC. I have no idea why Disney does what it does, although I do speculate, and some of the steps that have been taken seen to point to ensuring people who fly into Orlando stay onsite, folks who stay onsite choose a dining plan, and those who choose dining plans need to buy just a tad more.

Disney does need to care about guest satisfaction because once the value vs frustration escalates beyond a boiling point they lose not only those loyal to Disney, but all those who the loyalists complain to.

Disney is already anticipating this happening. Since the last recession, they have taken large chunks of their deluxe resorts and turned them into DVC properties, that are selling at ever increasing prices. Even if another recession hits tomorrow, all those rooms are already spoken for. With Riviera, they are now doing the same with moderates. They are narrowing down their on site offerings so they can focus on a specific sort of buyer who will pay large sums of money, and put up with daily room checks, in order to get the benefits they are looking for.
If a recession gets really bad, they can offer 40% off of rooms plus free dining to help them weather that sort of storm. Just about anybody would put up with a daily room check to get those sorts of perks. The fact is they have the upper hand in this situation that it doesn't matter how a few, or even a few million, people feel about it. There are still millions and millions of other people who would be happy to take their place.

#2 I disagree with the new policy and we're going to give them one more opportunity before we throw in the towel. I plan on having a chat with the manager when we check in, so we'll see how it goes. If we get multiple pointless room checks per day as we did on our last trip, we're done.

2. I disagree with the new policy and will stay offsite because Disney continues to raise cost and significantly reduce the quality of their product. I can now get almost all of the same Disney "perks" by booking a Disney Springs resort. Along with nicer room, other added perks, all at a significant cost savings. In fact I already cancelled a Disney resort and rebooked at one of the Disney Springs Resorts for an upcoming conference. I have a nicer guaranteed king room, I get to use points, FP 60, 180 day dining, park transportation and do not disturb, and even free parking is included in my rate.

Now that is an example of great research. It gives me some ideas. Thanks for sharing.

I was hoping ideas such as this would emerge from this poll.

Welcome Home!

Disney is already anticipating this happening. Since the last recession, they have taken large chunks of their deluxe resorts and turned them into DVC properties, that are selling at ever increasing prices. Even if another recession hits tomorrow, all those rooms are already spoken for. With Riviera, they are now doing the same with moderates. They are narrowing down their on site offerings so they can focus on a specific sort of buyer who will pay large sums of money, and put up with daily room checks, in order to get the benefits they are looking for.
If a recession gets really bad, they can offer 40% off of rooms plus free dining to help them weather that sort of storm. Just about anybody would put up with a daily room check to get those sorts of perks. The fact is they have the upper hand in this situation that it doesn't matter how a few, or even a few million, people feel about it. There are still millions and millions of other people who would be happy to take their place.

My understanding is that the deluxe rooms at AK and WL were converted into DVC in part at least because they were not being booked by CRO. So Disney figures, better to convert to DVC than remain empty. At Poly and GF, more a matter of greed because DVC could jack up the point price. I could be dead wrong though.

No one knows what tomorrow's economy will bring, and Disney needs to plan for a downfall JIC.

If one subscribes to the theory that Disney is charging more, but giving less, then they have already created a better position for themselves in case of a poor economy. By charging for things that used to be included, they have created a new baseline from which they can offer discounts if attendance drops. People will be getting the same benefits as before, but it will be sold to them as a discount.

And not directed at Nancyg56, does anyone know what if anything the Disney Springs resorts pay to Disney in order to offer the park benefits?

I personally disagree with the following:
Parking fees
Increased ticket prices
Tickets that now expire
60 day FPs for off site hotels

And you know what? Too dang bad. I have a choice to spend my money elsewhere, just as Disney had a choice of whether or not to implement these policies. They chose to not for my benefit, but to make more money, and good for them for doing so.
Just to warn you, more bad changes are bound to be coming down the pipeline, so you should tap out now while you still can.

I'll see your point and I'll raise one too.

In my opinion Resort rooms are the real money makers for Disney visits. That's the reason why they are building more room inventory. Rooms are cheaper and more profitable.

Disney is choosing to actively erode the quality of their hotel stay experience. They are depending on people not to notice... only resort guests ARE noticing. Guests may not always be letting Disney know they are dissatisfied with the resort experience and pricing but they are making up their own minds. I always ask my friends that come back from a Disney Vacation what they thought and the news is not good for Disney. The Disney Fans that post here certainly see it too.

The economy is changing and the middle class is getting priced out of a Disney vacation. There are not going to be enough affluent people that will choose a Disney vacation at the poor service levels and higher and higher price points that Disney will continue to charge. The more affluent you are the more options that you have. It's already been discussed around the boards how a European vacation, including flights, is MORE affordable than a Disney vacation.

So at the same time that Disney is eroding the resort experience and pricing out the middle class they are focused on a pricing model where primarily affluent people are the few that can afford a Disney vacation. At some point Disney is going to hit a wall but that probably won't be before Iger and top management cashes out with their golden parachutes.

Personally I believe that the whole reason for the price gouging and the pumping of the Stock Price up before any other Disney brand/Park/Resort consideration is directly reflected by the current park & company leadership's desire to cash out. And let's be clear, there are profits and there are OBSCENE profits... and when you have a company that pays it's workers POVERTY wages the level of profiting that Disney is experiencing is obscene.

So let's bring my point home... In this era of social media Disney is one disaster away from having their business model (Price gouging, focusing on eroding the quality of the experience) have ruinous consequences. I don't know what it will be or when it will happen, but when you disrespect your customers they way that Disney is choosing to do.... that kind of brand erosion is difficult to recover from when a major problem happens.

There comes a time and place when what you are offering is no longer considered relevant or as valuable. (Example ESPN) The next new shiny thing is always around the corner and the companies that disrespect their customers are left to wilt and wither.

So I see it coming and I was fortunate to never have tapped in with DVC. People would always ask me why when I love Disney so much and I go so frequently, why I never bought DVC. I would say to them Disney might change for the worse and I might not like it.

Sadly with all the focus on up-sells, price gouging and poor customer service I am seeing that happen.

So Too Dang Bad Disney. I'm staying off site. I'm going to Universal, and Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach and who knows where else. And I'm taking my family and friends with me. Disney you could have had ALL of my vacation dollars... but you chose to get greedy and become crappy so I'm turning mostly away. If I wasn't meeting friends at the parks I'd probably turn all the way away.

Too Dang Bad Disney. Too Dang Bad...

~NM

If one subscribes to the theory that Disney is charging more, but giving less, then they have already created a better position for themselves in case of a poor economy. By charging for things that used to be included, they have created a new baseline from which they can offer discounts if attendance drops. People will be getting the same benefits as before, but it will be sold to them as a discount.

I understand what you are driving at but I also think that in the event of a downturn people will be more likely to reduce discretionary travel or at least not spend more. More likely to reduce length of stay, downgrade resort from deluxe to moderate or moderate to value, eat counter service in lieu of table service, or visit every other year instead of every year, etc., especially when they look at the new resort parking fee.

In my opinion Resort rooms are the real money makers for Disney visits. That's the reason why they are building more room inventory. Rooms are cheaper and more profitable.

Disney is choosing to actively erode the quality of their hotel stay experience. They are depending on people not to notice... only resort guests ARE noticing. Guests may not always be letting Disney know they are dissatisfied with the resort experience and pricing but they are making up their own minds. I always ask my friends that come back from a Disney Vacation what they thought and the news is not good for Disney. The Disney Fans that post here certainly see it too.

The economy is changing and the middle class is getting priced out of a Disney vacation. There are not going to be enough affluent people that will choose a Disney vacation at the poor service levels and higher and higher price points that Disney will continue to charge. The more affluent you are the more options that you have. It's already been discussed around the boards how a European vacation, including flights, is MORE affordable than a Disney vacation.

So at the same time that Disney is eroding the resort experience and pricing out the middle class they are focused on a pricing model where primarily affluent people are the few that can afford a Disney vacation. At some point Disney is going to hit a wall but that probably won't be before Iger and top management cashes out with their golden parachutes.

Personally I believe that the whole reason for the price gouging and the pumping of the Stock Price up before any other Disney brand/Park/Resort consideration is directly reflected by the current park & company leadership's desire to cash out. And let's be clear, there are profits and there are OBSCENE profits... and when you have a company that pays it's workers POVERTY wages the level of profiting that Disney is experiencing is obscene.

So let's bring my point home... In this era of social media Disney is one disaster away from having their business model (Price gouging, focusing on eroding the quality of the experience) have ruinous consequences. I don't know what it will be or when it will happen, but when you disrespect your customers they way that Disney is choosing to do.... that kind of brand erosion is difficult to recover from when a major problem happens.

There comes a time and place when what you are offering is no longer considered relevant or as valuable. (Example ESPN) The next new shiny thing is always around the corner and the companies that disrespect their customers are left to wilt and wither.

So I see it coming and I was fortunate to never have tapped in with DVC. People would always ask me why when I love Disney so much and I go so frequently, why I never bought DVC. I would say to them Disney might change for the worse and I might not like it.

Sadly with all the focus on up-sells, price gouging and poor customer service I am seeing that happen.

So Too Dang Bad Disney. I'm staying off site. I'm going to Universal, and Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach and who knows where else. And I'm taking my family and friends with me. Disney you could have had ALL of my vacation dollars... but you chose to get greedy and become crappy so I'm turning mostly away. If I wasn't meeting friends at the parks I'd probably turn all the way away.

~NM

Or as I read in another discussion, Disney, I am breaking up with you.

I never thought I would be here but my husband will be happy. He maxed out a few years ago.

I'm with you Ninja Mom! Universal has taken over the market in stellar customer service! Me and my vacation $$ go to their resorts!! My Disney park days are at a minimum as well- my Universal AP is well used!! They may even lose me as a diner in their restaurants as they continue to make negative changes to their menus!

Or as I read in another discussion, Disney, I am breaking up with you.

I never thought I would be here but my husband will be happy. He maxed out a few years ago.

Nobody is more surprised than my wife, her exact words were "wow, you never would have even entertained the idea of staying off site before."

You can get those perks for now. They can be discontinued at any time. That is my worry with moving off site.

And not directed at Nancyg56, does anyone know what if anything the Disney Springs resorts pay to Disney in order to offer the park benefits?

Which works if travel itself does not become to expensive.

That reminds me of the issue with DVC. The only thing that’s guaranteed per the POS is booking a hotel room. Lots of perks have come and gone. None guaranteed. And DVC management changes too.

Exactly. You need to buy the room you want, and count any perks as extras. If someone would be just as happy off site if Disney took all those extra perks back away, then they should definitely move off site. But there is no guarantee if you book at Disney Springs now that by your trip time the same perks will be offered.

I agree about perks at Disney springs hotels (haven’t stayed in that area since 2002) but I frequently book and for more than 10 years the Wyndham Bonnet creek timeshare units, or the Hilton and Waldorf Bonnet Creek resorts, regardless of what Disney offered. Disney’s prices made that decision for me. Even more so now. The great lazy rivers at those resorts aren’t going anywhere. Same with swandolphin, both their location and great pools are here to stay. Location, pools, good service are appealing to me at all of those. But I have always valued the freedom of having a car so I am definitely not Disney’s target guest.

I am option #2, I disagree with the policy and am more likely to stay at a Springs/good neighbor hotel because of it.
I rarely spend a lot of time in the room, but if I am in my room I do not want to be bothered! With magic bands and cameras all over, Disney knows when I am there and when I’m not. They can check my room when I’m not using it.
They also know from collecting copious data on me that I am a low security risk. This is a nonsense policy that wastes their own time and money. They have better ways of assessing risk and observing their guests.

~NM

You're stating a lot of opinion there, and backing it up with some selective data, but that data does not line up with the reality of Disney.
Last year, they had their highest ticket prices in history, they also had their highest attendance in history, and made the most money they ever have in history. They are not raising prices for the fun of it, or to trick people for short term profit. They raised prices because people essentially demanded it in order to potentially reduce park attendance.
Do their hotels make money? Sure. But I can almost promise you that they are not nearly as profitable as the parks are. Lots more people can fit in the parks at the same cost per person. If hotels were so important to their business model, they wouldn't have opened up home resort benefits to the Disney Springs resorts.

In no way am I cheering for Disney to squeeze any of us harder than they are, but there's really nothing that some silly poll involving 20 people can or will do about it. If 100x that many people refuse to return to Disney due to room checks or some other gripes, they will be easily replaced by 2000 other people who go there, love it, and become lifelong fans. The Disney name is famous for being safe and friendly across the world, they are not going to risk their safety piece because a few people don't want them coming into their rooms, they would rather you just stay away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter