Anaheim Desert Inn vs. Tropicana Inn & Suites?

peachyarmy

Earning My Ears
Hi all! I'm going to Disneyland during at the beginning of June with 2 of my friends and we're having a hard time trying to choose a hotel. Because we're all women and planning to stay at the parks from rope drop to close, we'd like to stay as close to the parks as possible for the ability to walk to & from.

After extensive research, I've narrowed our hotel options down to either the Anaheim Desert Inn & Suites or the Tropicana Inn and Suites but we're having a hard time choosing between the two. I've looked at a ton of reviews and both hotels (motels?) seem decent enough but I haven't seen anyone compare these two properties. So I'm wondering what you're experiences with either property is and which one you would prefer of the two?

I'd love to stay at either the Candy Cane Inn or the BWPPI but sadly, they don't fit our budget for our dates. Thank you!

I have stayed as a single parent with two daughters and as a single by myself. My go to is the Desert Inn. I have always felt safe there. The only downside for me was that the bed was a little too firm for me, so now I bring a foam mattress top.

I did stay at the Tropicana once, probably 15 years ago and just felt it was a little more run down that the Desert Inn. Plus the Desert Inn, is just a tad bit closer of a walk.

I’ve stayed at both, and I’d definitely go for Tropicana. It’s had a fairly recent refresh, and is nicer than DI&S. Request a 3rd floor room. There are only a few of them and they are really quiet.

The only thing DI&S has going for it is the cheap price for their suites, but sleeping on their awful beds isn’t worth the savings.

I’ve stayed at both, and I’d definitely go for Tropicana. It’s had a fairly recent refresh, and is nicer than DI&S. Request a 3rd floor room. There are only a few of them and they are really quiet.

The only thing DI&S has going for it is the cheap price for their suites, but sleeping on their awful beds isn’t worth the savings.
^Agree 100%!

If you want hot tub or pool time go with the Tropicana.

The beds at the DI&S have never been an issue for anyone in our group.
They generally have the best rate and that's why we most always stay there.

I too and traveling as two women next month so we wanted to be close and safe etc…

It’s my cousin and we are staying at the Tropicana. We got a Park View Suite. It has a living room with a pull out couch and a bedroom with a king bed, both sleeping areas have their own bathroom which will make getting ready in the morning so efficient!

I’m excited about the balcony for a firework view

The desert inn has a lot of room types, you can actually see the floor plan of each room. Many types with multiple bathrooms too.

I would stay at which ever one is cheapest. Tropicana has had a more recent refresh. We stayed at DI&S in Oct 2022. It was basic, but clean. We are staying there again in April. The difference is over $350. That's a lot of mickey bars!

We just got back from Desert Inn and Suites today. I felt completely safe. Room was very clean. I don’t understand the complaints about the mattresses. No one in our party had complaints about them. This will be the first place I check for our next trip. The location is closer than Tropicana but not by much. We had one of the family suites. The pool and hot tub are indoor if that matters to you.

I stayed at the Tropicana a while back and it was very good. The staff was very nice and freindly. The room was basic, but comfortable. I've never stayed at Desert Inn but it is likely comparable. Either way, you can't beat the locations!

We just got back from Desert Inn and Suites today. I felt completely safe. Room was very clean. I don’t understand the complaints about the mattresses. No one in our party had complaints about them. This will be the first place I check for our next trip. The location is closer than Tropicana but not by much. We had one of the family suites. The pool and hot tub are indoor if that matters to you.
When you share a bed with your husband and the mattress is old and you both roll into the middle all night long….it’s not a great sleep…going to the parks after sleeping like that is not enjoyable. I’m glad you had a good experience with the mattress, but not everyone does.

When you share a bed with your husband and the mattress is old and you both roll into the middle all night long….it’s not a great sleep…going to the parks after sleeping like that is not enjoyable. I’m glad you had a good experience with the mattress, but not everyone does.
I've shared a bed at Desert Inn multiple times and neither of us has ever rolled into the middle.

I've shared a bed at Desert Inn multiple times and neither of us has ever rolled into the middle.
That’s great, you are lucky you did not get the room we did. Lots of others have mentioned the beds here being uncomfortable, so it’s not just us saying it. Beds are very subjective and some people will love them and others and will not. We did not enjoy sleeping like that. We were so tired it put a damper on our day.

When the hotel renovates, we will most likely try them out again. They have a wide variety of room layouts and sizes at reasonable prices for walking distance.

We've stayed at the Desert Inn twice and the Best Western twice. DI&S is cheaper but not quite as modern. For the price difference, I'll go to the DI&S. You need to know that their wifi is bug-laden. I wound up using my phone as a hotspot for my laptop.

Last time we were at DI&S, not only did we roll into the dip in the middle, our feet were somehow higher than our heads🤣. Even my husband complained, and that man will sleep on anything! That’s when we crossed that place off our list. If I ever hear they got new furniture, we’ll try it again. I’ll put up with a lot of “meh” as long as a place is clean and close, but I don’t want to wake up feeling like I need a chiropractic visit before rope drop.

I've stayed at both hotels recently, the Tropicana in December and just got back from Desert Inn on Monday but also stayed there in September. Both hotels feels safe and they're honestly both fine. We've started leaning towards Desert Inn more often because we can get the Parlor Suite, which has a separate living room with pull-out couch, for about the same price or less than the 2 queen plus sleeper chair room at the Tropicana. This is nice for us so our daughter can sleep in a separate room while we stay up a bit later or get up earlier. Desert Inn also includes a super basic breakfast with toast, pastries, cereal, etc. No hot items though. Beds at both hotels are fine, no complaints from us, so either we're lucky with our rooms or we're so exhausted it doesn't matter to us.

Basically, we're at the point that we pick whichever hotel is least expensive the weekend we want to go and decide based on that.

I often wonder if I just am super lucky or if other people just have totally different expectations for a mattress than me. We have stayed at DI&S probably 6 times now over 10 years in 3 different room types. I am a bad sleeper in general and we have NEVER had an issue with the beds. Now I'm not saying others who have are issues are wrong, it just really surprises me. We stay at Desert Inn and Suites as it is by far the cheapest option for a safe, clean hotel (motel) close to the parks. We have no issues with the beds and my kids use the indoor pool.

Just got back from a stay at the Tropicana. It was a nice stay. The room was clean the beds and pillows were comfortable, the bed was maybe a little too soft for me but I like my mattress super firm. I usually stay at either the Best Western Park Place or Best Western Anaheim Inn and the walk to the park from the Tropicana was just as close as some of my rooms at those hotels. I did miss having a hot breakfast included at the Tropicana. But we spent our time at the Tropicana for sleeping so we didn't use the pool at all. Oh, we did have a car for 2 nights and parking can be tough to find during the day because they allow people to park and go to the parks, but there is valet (included in your cost for parking) and they will find a spot for you. Never stayed at the Desert Inn so I can't compare to that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter