• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anaheim Discovery Inn & Suites

taymaesmom

DIS Veteran
Has anyone stayed recently and what were your thoughts. We are booked somewhere else but realized it is going to be a longer walk than we originally thought and Anaheim Discovery Inn was suggest as being a close walk. However I looked at their reviews of Tripadvisor and while newer ones were good, older ones were horrible and even had pictures of roaches and bed bugs. I don't want to stay there if they are still having issues.

If I'm looking at the Google Map correctly, it's going to be about a 20 minute walk. You'll go up to the stoplight in front of Coco's, turn left, walk up past Paradise Peir Hotel, and around and through Downtown Disney.

Where were you planning on staying before? Are you staying at Discovery due to price, or something else?

We are booked at Best Western Stovall's Inn because it looked close but I just found out we can't walk through the Grand Californian to enter the parks so it looks like a long way around.

You can walk along Disneyland Dr. to the security bag check near the Disneyland Hotel, and then you're at Downtown Disney. Still kind of long to the parks, but every time we enter that way we catch the Downtown Disney monorail (better if you have Maxpass since once the tickets are scanned at the monorail station you can start booking FP), if you already have your tickets.

We are booked at Best Western Stovall's Inn because it looked close but I just found out we can't walk through the Grand Californian to enter the parks so it looks like a long way around.

The Anaheim Discovery Inn & Suites is literally next door to the BW Stovalls. It's actually very slightly FARTHER than the Stovalls. Perhaps the recommendation was for the Anaheim Desert Inn & Suites rather than Discovery? The Desert Inn & Suites is one of the closest hotels to the Harbor entrance.

You cannot cut through the GCH on your way to the parks, but you can cut through on your way back to your hotel. And you can always use Uber/Lyft to drop you at either the Harbor or DTD drop offs.

Hi! We literally stayed there last week. The hotel is tiny with a motel feel and the pool is teeny, but we saw no one in it the entire time. There are maybe 30 rooms in the whole complex. The rooms were very clean, although a bit outdated. The front door staff were all very helpful and kind. There's no breakfast, but they have coffee. We walked from the hotel to Downtown Disney, and entered the parks that way. Each way was about 20-25 minutes walk, but we had a double stroller and don't walk the fastest. We did cut through GCH on our way back from CA both days with no issues. We did NOT try entering there, as I read that you couldn't - and that seems to be the case. I booked our room on Expedia, and it was $85 a night, and I called ahead and asked them if we could get a bigger room, as I heard they had a few family suites. We upgraded for an additional $15/night, which gave us another separate bed and room, which came in handy for us. I would stay there again, for sure! Hope this helps. (I have been a DisBoards reader for years, but just created an account today so I could answer this question! ha!) :)

The Anaheim Discovery Inn & Suites is literally next door to the BW Stovalls. It's actually very slightly FARTHER than the Stovalls. Perhaps the recommendation was for the Anaheim Desert Inn & Suites rather than Discovery? The Desert Inn & Suites is one of the closest hotels to the Harbor entrance.

I think you may be right!!

I think the above poster might be right that someone might have been recommending Desert Inn (which is on the Harbor side and right across from the Disney esplanade) because YES, Discovery Inn & Suites is next door to BW Stovall's, which is on the Katella end and a farther walk. If you decide to keep your original reservation with BW Stovall's, I can just tell you we've had two great experiences and we LOVE it in spite of the little bit farther walk. I had once contemplated staying at Discovery Inn, but after reading some pretty alarming reviews we chose BW Stovall's and I'm glad we did, I'd have no hesitation recommending them. (You can still find poor reviews on Trip Advisor about Stovall's also (heck you can about the Grand Californian as well) but they are more few and far between, they are not what most people seem to experience--if you want a nice, clean, affordable, place to rest your head with a beautiful pool area (that has never been crowded on our trips), with complimentary breakfast and wonderful customer service most people would be happy here.

As one of the above posters mentioned if you enter at the DTD entrance near Disneyland Hotel (which never has a big lineup) the monorail entrance is right there and that is very convenient and once you scan through you are already in the park. You don't have to go through security and then wait in line again at the gates to enter the park as you do with the Harbor entrance. We used the monorail several times on our last trip and really liked that. You also can still cut through the Grand when returning to Stovall's at anytime, although it looks like you're just staying a day/night so you probably won't be doing much coming and going in that short timeframe.

Enjoy your trip!

I think the above poster might be right that someone might have been recommending Desert Inn (which is on the Harbor side and right across from the Disney esplanade) because YES, Discovery Inn & Suites is next door to BW Stovall's, which is on the Katella end and a farther walk. If you decide to keep your original reservation with BW Stovall's, I can just tell you we've had two great experiences and we LOVE it in spite of the little bit farther walk. I had once contemplated staying at Discovery Inn, but after reading some pretty alarming reviews we chose BW Stovall's and I'm glad we did, I'd have no hesitation recommending them. (You can still find poor reviews on Trip Advisor about Stovall's also (heck you can about the Grand Californian as well) but they are more few and far between, they are not what most people seem to experience--if you want a nice, clean, affordable, place to rest your head with a beautiful pool area (that has never been crowded on our trips), with complimentary breakfast and wonderful customer service most people would be happy here.

As one of the above posters mentioned if you enter at the DTD entrance near Disneyland Hotel (which never has a big lineup) the monorail entrance is right there and that is very convenient and once you scan through you are already in the park. You don't have to go through security and then wait in line again at the gates to enter the park as you do with the Harbor entrance. We used the monorail several times on our last trip and really liked that. You also can still cut through the Grand when returning to Stovall's at anytime, although it looks like you're just staying a day/night so you probably won't be doing much coming and going in that short timeframe.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for your review of Stovall's, we are going to keep our reservation there, its booked and the good reviews are what made me book it in the first place. I didn't know you could enter through the monorail and so that sounds great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter