Anaheim to Aloha! A Mother/Daughter Trip to California and Aulani...May 2023! Updated 9/27!!!

buzzrelly

DIS Veteran
Hello! It's been a while since I've posted here on the TR page, but this trip was too good not to share, even if nobody reads it!

I've been around these boards for a while, and I've met some amazing friends here on the TR page!
But for so many of you that don't know me allow me to introduce myself.
My name is Kelly, I'm a Disney-holic DVC Member NICU nurse who loves to travel to WDW a few times a year
but has been dreaming of visiting Disneyland for YEARS!
me .jpeg

(Please excuse me and my awkwardness in pictures...
I never know what to do with my hands and you'll notice there will be disappearing and reappearing glasses because I literally hate them but I can't see without them!
But whatever, I'm getting old and trying to accept it so it is what it is! 🙃 )

Anyway, I cannot stress that "YEARS" enough. I believe my obsession started around 2015 or 2016 because I listened to Michael Bowling on the Connecting With Walt podcast talking about the history of Disneyland. Since then I've read so many books about the history of DL and I've been dreaming of going. But being from CT, it just never worked out and it's obviously easier to travel to WDW for us.

This trip was probably 5 years in the making. DD Allie (I'll get to her next) was graduating High School in 2021 and I know we started talking about this trip at least two years before that. We would make lists all the time, I bought The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland and we talked about what we wanted to do and see and eat, and then 2020 happened and whomp, whomp...
While waiting for DL to reopen, we decided that even if it did reopen by the time Allie graduated in 2021 (which it did),
we wanted the real deal...we wanted the tours and the shows and all the food, so we had already decided to push this trip to 2022.

2022, you say?? But this is 2023!

Yup, so we had this exact trip booked for May 2022, we'd go right after Allie's first year of college.
But alas, the week before we were to leave Allie had an emergency appendectomy and whomp, whomp...no flying for her.
It was a scramble but we were able to push the reservation out with maybe some minor increased costs,
but for the most part, we were made whole and had the hotel, airline tickets and (most importantly) the DVC points saved for this year...phew!

Of course, those of you with older "adult" kids know how hard it is to plan anything with them and maybe the timing of this trip wasn't perfect,
but we did the best we could while having to plan wayyyy in advance so I didn't lose the DVC points.
You see, Allie had just come back from spending a full semester in Seville, Spain
and had literally been back in CT and our time zone for 5 days before heading out West and then more West!
By the time we got to Aulani, she was a full 12 hours behind where she had been a couple weeks prior.
That was a little rough.

Well, I've talked enough about Allie but haven't introduced her, so here she is, my Allie...
allie.jpeg
She just finished her Sophomore year of college which, as I said earlier, was in Seville Spain.
She absolutely loved it and was able to travel all around Europe while there,
including Portugal, Morocco, Rome, Budapest, Germany, and I don't even know where else!
It seemed like she went somewhere new every weekend! It was such an amazing opportunity for her!
She's back in the swing of summer now, including Nannying for three little cuties, Life-guarding, and teaching private swim lessons on the side.
In her free time she is alternating driving back and forth to New Jersey to visit her boyfriend.
I don't know how she does it all, but she's always liked to stay busy, busy, busy!

Our Itinerary for this trip was as follows:

May 17-May 21
Disneyland Resort, staying at the Disneyland Hotel

May 21-May 23
LA/Hollywood, staying at Loews Hollywood Hotel

May 23-May 30
Honolulu, staying at Aulani 🥰

We had so many fun experiences since this was all so new to us, but for me,
the highlight was doing the Walt's Main Street tour and getting to go up in his apartment.
I was so overwhelmed with emotion when we walked in and immediately started to cry, along with a few others in our group.
Truly a once in a lifetime experience.
I'll be writing more about that, as well as attending the World of Color Dessert Party (where we were visited by a very special guest 🐭 ),
the Warner Brothers Studio tour in LA...where are my fellow Gilmore Girls Stans??
So cool to see Lorelei's house and the exterior of Luke's Diner!
And then visiting the absolute paradise that is Aulani 🌺:love::worship:

mickey.jpeg

If you're interested in reading about any of these, stick around!
I love talking about our trip and I'm sure people at work are sick of hearing about it! :rotfl2:

And if you'd like to be a little more interactive, I'd love to hear your comments and thoughts!

And since this was my dream trip, I'd love to hear about yours! Has it happened yet or are you making plans for it in the future?

Disclaimer: It's been a very long time since I've written one of these and I'm totally out of practice, so please bear with me!

Attachments

• mickey.jpeg
    mickey.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 12

Hi Kelly, I’m here excited to hear all about it. It sounds absolutely amazing!
I think my ultimate trip would be a 5 night stay at WDW and a 7 night stay on a Disney Cruise! I haven’t been on a Disney cruise yet and I dream about it!

Following! I’m dreaming of DL visits too!
I grew up in Redlands CA, and Disneyland was a once a year birthday trip.
Back then you had ticket booklets, and I rode Pirates in the week it opened.
But now I know every inch of WDW. I can still close my eyes and be on the storybook land canal boats, which fascinated and terrified 4 year old me, but have never seen California adventure or anything else post 1990.

I CAN’T WAIT to hear more! Please. Write quickly!!!

Haha! I'll try! Luckily work has been slow so I won't be picking up much OT and should be updating soon!

Thanks for joining!

Oh wow! I'm tired just reading about all the things your DD does!

Me too! But I've gotten used to it since this has been since high school!

Thanks for reading!

Following! Can not wait to hear all about the Walt’s Main Street Tour!

Welcome! That alone was worth all the miles out there!

Joining in! Sounds like an amazing trip!

Welcome! Thanks for being here!

Hi Kelly, I’m here excited to hear all about it. It sounds absolutely amazing!
I think my ultimate trip would be a 5 night stay at WDW and a 7 night stay on a Disney Cruise! I haven’t been on a Disney cruise yet and I dream about it!

Hi Caroline! Thanks for reading!

You need to make that cruise happen! The Fantasy is amazing! Or maybe you should start on a 4-day since you haven't cruised before!

I live about 40 min from Disneyland and I just love hearing about first visits to DL! I guess my dream trip would be Japan and Tokyo Disney Resort.

Welcome! Japan is the one Asian park I would love to visit too! They seem to have some awesome merch!

Following! I’m dreaming of DL visits too!
I grew up in Redlands CA, and Disneyland was a once a year birthday trip.
Back then you had ticket booklets, and I rode Pirates in the week it opened.
But now I know every inch of WDW. I can still close my eyes and be on the storybook land canal boats, which fascinated and terrified 4 year old me, but have never seen California adventure or anything else post 1990.

That's too long, you need to go back! Allie and I looked at the Storybook land canal boats and decided not to go on because I think there was a bit of a line. Now I'm kind of regretting it because it's kind of iconic!

Thanks for reading!

Following along! I’m planning my Aulani/Oahu/Kauai trip for next summer, so that’s my dream trip right now! There’s always another dream when that one’s done- I think a “dream of a lifetime trip” would be to take a year and buy one-way around the world tickets. That’s completely infeasible for now, but maybe in 20 years when I retire!

Your trip sounds amazing! I would love to get out to DL on day but my Dh won’t go to CA. DD18 is interested but I just took her to WDW last month and I think it will be a few years before I’m ready to travel with her again😬 She’s starting her second year of school so I’m aiming for college graduation.

I love Aulani so much🥰 Looking forward to hearing all about that too! We are headed back in Nov and I can’t wait!

I saw you mention Disney Fantasy. We have only been on Disney Dream. 2024 fall itineraries just came out and of course the Fantasy doesn’t line up for the week we want. We can either pick the Dream again so we can keep my preferred dates(around Thanksgiving) or change dates to try the Fantasy. Have you been on both?

Hi Kelly! I'm looking forward to following along. This is my dream trip but am still in the planning stages but, like you, I have lists and lists of what I'd like to see, do, and eat. I'm sure your report will add quite a few items to the lists! And I had no idea that the Gilmore Girls sets were part of the tour!!!! That's almost reason enough to go! Can't wait to hear about everything!

~Christine

Following along!

Welcome!

I’m planning my Aulani/Oahu/Kauai trip for next summer, so that’s my dream trip right now!

That sounds amazing! I went to Kauai 25 years ago and it was absolutely gorgeous!

There’s always another dream when that one’s done- I think a “dream of a lifetime trip” would be to take a year and buy one-way around the world tickets. That’s completely infeasible for now, but maybe in 20 years when I retire!

You're right because I still have quite a few places on my bucket list...Europe being at the top for me! Just book that Disney around-the-world jet...I think it's only $100,000 per person! :rotfl2:

I would love to get out to DL on day but my Dh won’t go to CA.

I understand completely, my DH won't fly at all! He drives to WDW when we go and sometimes I drive with him and sometimes fly. It's a whole process.

DD18 is interested but I just took her to WDW last month and I think it will be a few years before I’m ready to travel with her again😬 She’s starting her second year of school so I’m aiming for college graduation.

:rotfl2:

College graduation is a perfect time to go!

I love Aulani so much🥰 Looking forward to hearing all about that too! We are headed back in Nov and I can’t wait!

We didn't want to leave, it's absolute paradise :love: I would definitely love to go back again someday!

I saw you mention Disney Fantasy. We have only been on Disney Dream. 2024 fall itineraries just came out and of course the Fantasy doesn’t line up for the week we want. We can either pick the Dream again so we can keep my preferred dates(around Thanksgiving) or change dates to try the Fantasy. Have you been on both?

We've been on both. They are basically the same ship, but I loved the Fantasy more I think because it was a 7-night to the Eastern Caribbean, so I loved the itinerary more. You can't go wrong with either. I have links to my older trip reports on both ships linked in my signature down below, if you're interested.

Sounds like an amazing trip. Can’t wait to hear about it!

Thanks for joining!

Hi Kelly!

Hi Christine!

This is my dream trip but am still in the planning stages but, like you, I have lists and lists of what I'd like to see, do, and eat.

Spoiler alert, we didn't even do everything we had originally planned! Isn't that always the way?

And I had no idea that the Gilmore Girls sets were part of the tour!!!! That's almost reason enough to go!

That was really fun! And once our guide learned we loved the GG, he really went into depth about the house and we got to spend a lot of time on the set...they even had the gazebo there and we have a few pictures on that! It was a lot of fun and I definitely recommend!

Following!

Welcome!

Hello, everyone!
Welcome back to what is sure to be the most exciting installment...travel day! :rotfl2:

Before I get to that, did you all get caught up in the Halfway to Christmas frenzy a couple days ago?? No? Just me? Haha! I'm a sucker for Disney and for Christmas, put them together and I lose my mind! So while we had no plans to go this December since we went last year, once they made the announcement about Disney Jollywood Nights, I texted Allie and asked her when her school gets out and if she wanted to go for a quick little 4-night trip! I also booked Pop because I didn't think any DVC would be available, but crazily, Boardwalk Villas were available so I booked for the exact nights we want to go so I figured it's meant to be!

We'll be at the Boardwalk Villas 12/16-12/20, hopefully doing DJN on 12/16 and MVMCP on 12/19! :santa:🎅🎄

Just have to wait and hopefully get tickets when they are released on June 29th!

Back to Travel Day...

Fit check at the ungodly hour of 2:59 am...
travel1.jpeg

I'm an early bird but this is too early even for me,
and yet I always seem to book these crazy early morning flights!! o_O

I was more worried that Allie wouldn't wake up, but luckily she did and by 3:18 am we were on our way to the airport which is about a 30-minute drive for us.
car.jpeg

All checked in and enjoying McDonald's breakfast at our gate at 4:28 am...
travel3.jpeg

And then boarded and on our way at 5:24 am!
plane 1.jpeg

We had a quick layover with a plane change in Detroit which I had been slightly nervous about but no need to worry since we were on time and our arrival gate was literally right next to the departing gate. We had just enough time to stretch and use the restroom and then we were boarding again and on our way to CA...
alliedelta.jpeg

Allie got some cool pics when we were flying over some mountains...
mountains.jpeg
I haven't flown anywhere but to Florida since 1999 so I thought this was so cool to see!

We landed at John Wayne airport a little early,
a little bedraggled but no complaints about the flight.
sna.jpeg
This airport was small and super easy to navigate so I totally understand why people recommend it all the time for DLR.

We had booked MidWilShuttle and, after grabbing our luggage, we were picked up almost immediately. The driver wasn't overly friendly and he drove a little aggressively for my liking, but I guess he was fine and I'd probably use them again.

After a really quick drive, we were finally seeing this...
dld.jpeg

and finally...
dlh.jpeg
We made it!

It was only 11 am and surprisingly our room was already available so we headed up to drop our bags and freshen up before we headed to our first park!

Last edited:
I love the holidays too. :santa: Hallmark channel is already advertising their holiday movies and I am ready!! I'm super excited for the Jollywood Nights event (though I really wish there was a way to resurrect the Osborne Lights). Awesome that BWV was still available -- definitely meant to be!! Hurrah for an uneventful albeit early travel day. And what great luck that your room was ready!!

Oh my gosh! Beyond excited for this TR!!! I loved following along on FB and can't wait to hear ALL the details!!

I love the holidays too. :santa: Hallmark channel is already advertising their holiday movies and I am ready!!

Ooooohhhhh...that's good to know! I do love those cheesy movies!

I'm super excited for the Jollywood Nights event (though I really wish there was a way to resurrect the Osborne Lights).

100% agree! That was the one disappointing part about the announcements :sad1:

Oh my gosh! Beyond excited for this TR!!! I loved following along on FB and can't wait to hear ALL the details!!

Hi Susan! Thanks for reading!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter