• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Animal Kingdom late arrival til close strategy?

flyingenie

Mouseketeer
With park opening being pushed earlier, there's no way this west coaster will be there for 7:30am early entry! Any suggestions re: strategy on touring order/plans if we were to arrive late morning? Would you suggest getting Genie+ or would the park be doable without, hitting headliners in the late afternoon/early evening (with FoP just before close)? For reference, the park would be closing at 7pm, and touringplans crowd forecast is at a 5.

With park opening being pushed earlier, there's no way this west coaster will be there for 7:30am early entry! Any suggestions re: strategy on touring order/plans if we were to arrive late morning? Would you suggest getting Genie+ or would the park be doable without, hitting headliners in the late afternoon/early evening (with FoP just before close)? For reference, the park would be closing at 7pm, and touringplans crowd forecast is at a 5.
Hello fellow West Coaster!
We just did AK as our "afternoon park". This was easier when I could stack LLs but now we have to wait till they are actually past 2pm. (Recent change).
My suggestion. Buy your LL$ for FOP at around 6-7pm. Make Pandora your end point. Watch for the LL (if you have Genie+) for NRR. Book when it's to 6pm. In the mean time, AK is NOT busy in the afternoon. We walked onto everything this past Thursday. Used LLs when we could. It was great. We are APs and will never go here in the morning again, way easier in the afternoons.
Another suggestion is the Nomad Lounge. (Tell Trey hello for me) 🥰.

We did a late morning to close at Animal Kingdom and it was very doable! We did get Genie+ but we were there during spring break. I’m not sure you would need it now. We woke up at 7:00 am and booked Navi for 11:30-12:30 pm and went back to sleep. We got there in time for that and got lightning lanes for the Safari, Everest and Meet Mickey and Minnie on top of that before everything filled up for the day. (FYI meet Mickey was still at least a 30 minute wait even with the lightning lane so I don’t know if I would have done that one had I known. I thought we’d be in and out like we were with other character greet lightning lanes.) The only big rides we didn’t do was Kali (by choice, we had dinner ressies and I didn’t want to get soaked) and Flight of Passage because it was consistently 80 minutes all day. We could have jumped into the line at closing I’m sure with a much shorter wait but we had a 7:35 pm ADR at Tiffins (which was amazing) for an 8:00 pm close. We are AP and went back a few days later for a half day and just got an individual lightning lane for Flight of Passage and pretty much walked right into the pre-show. So I think you can likely skip Genie+ and get an ILL for FOP and get everything in. By 7:00 pm, Everest was a 10 minute wait so we jumped into the standby line for a second ride. One thing to note is that if you want to do either of the animal trails, those close earlier than the park. They closed at 6:30 pm with a park close at 8:00 pm. We realized that at like 5:00 pm so we raced a little to get both of those in. If you get on the path before closing they let you see everything but we could see them closing up shop behind us. And we learned there is a really fun interactive game for both paths on the Play Disney app. It has scavenger hunt questions, fun facts and it prompts you to take pictures along the way and adds fun filters to them. We really enjoyed that.

Hello fellow West Coaster!
We just did AK as our "afternoon park". This was easier when I could stack LLs but now we have to wait till they are actually past 2pm. (Recent change).
My suggestion. Buy your LL$ for FOP at around 6-7pm. Make Pandora your end point. Watch for the LL (if you have Genie+) for NRR. Book when it's to 6pm. In the mean time, AK is NOT busy in the afternoon. We walked onto everything this past Thursday. Used LLs when we could. It was great. We are APs and will never go here in the morning again, way easier in the afternoons.
Another suggestion is the Nomad Lounge. (Tell Trey hello for me) 🥰.
Great to hear, thanks! What time in the afternoon would you say it starts clearing out? And thanks for the Nomad lounge rec - how long is the wait for the walk up list, and is there any leeway once your table is called?

We did a late morning to close at Animal Kingdom and it was very doable! We did get Genie+ but we were there during spring break. I’m not sure you would need it now. We woke up at 7:00 am and booked Navi for 11:30-12:30 pm and went back to sleep. We got there in time for that and got lightning lanes for the Safari, Everest and Meet Mickey and Minnie on top of that before everything filled up for the day. (FYI meet Mickey was still at least a 30 minute wait even with the lightning lane so I don’t know if I would have done that one had I known. I thought we’d be in and out like we were with other character greet lightning lanes.) The only big rides we didn’t do was Kali (by choice, we had dinner ressies and I didn’t want to get soaked) and Flight of Passage because it was consistently 80 minutes all day. We could have jumped into the line at closing I’m sure with a much shorter wait but we had a 7:35 pm ADR at Tiffins (which was amazing) for an 8:00 pm close. We are AP and went back a few days later for a half day and just got an individual lightning lane for Flight of Passage and pretty much walked right into the pre-show. So I think you can likely skip Genie+ and get an ILL for FOP and get everything in. By 7:00 pm, Everest was a 10 minute wait so we jumped into the standby line for a second ride. One thing to note is that if you want to do either of the animal trails, those close earlier than the park. They closed at 6:30 pm with a park close at 8:00 pm. We realized that at like 5:00 pm so we raced a little to get both of those in. If you get on the path before closing they let you see everything but we could see them closing up shop behind us. And we learned there is a really fun interactive game for both paths on the Play Disney app. It has scavenger hunt questions, fun facts and it prompts you to take pictures along the way and adds fun filters to them. We really enjoyed that.
Thank you! We are not going during busy season, so hopefully can go without G+. I just know that if I wake up at 645am for Genie selections, I won't be able to fall back asleep! (but by then would be too late to get a good spot in line for 730 open)

Thanks for the play disney app tip - I had heard about the duck tales hunt in Epcot and the Star Wars one (which I was not overly interested in), but not the AK one! Maybe it'll be worth it to get the app!

Great to hear, thanks! What time in the afternoon would you say it starts clearing out? And thanks for the Nomad lounge rec - how long is the wait for the walk up list, and is there any leeway once your table is called?
It was clearing at 2pm.
We never wait more than a few minutes (but larger parties will have to wait). You have 10 minutes to haul back there. Have fun!

Thank you! We are not going during busy season, so hopefully can go without G+. I just know that if I wake up at 645am for Genie selections, I won't be able to fall back asleep! (but by then would be too late to get a good spot in line for 730 open)

Thanks for the play disney app tip - I had heard about the duck tales hunt in Epcot and the Star Wars one (which I was not overly interested in), but not the AK one! Maybe it'll be worth it to get the app!
In that case, I’d just plan to jump in line for FOP at the end of the day and skip Genie+ entirely. Or check MDE when you get up. There might still be ILL for FOP at 9 am or later if it’s not a particularly busy time. I think it could be worth it to buy one for FOP and then use the end of the day for Navi or whatever else might be busy. I loved touring that way! We saved a ton of time by jumping in line near close for the bigger rides (and money by not buying ILLs). Getting there in time for rope drop stresses me out!

Ducktales is so much fun! I’d get the app for that alone. We were big fans of Agent P too. I think that one had a few more missions per pavilion but we are glad that something is back! The Play Disney Parks app is free and has some fun trivia and other games to pass the time while in line too.

I was just about to post about a late arrival to AK so instead of starting a new similar thread I hope you don't mind me asking in here. We were planning on doing AK on arrival day and expect to get to the park around 1:00. It will be a Tuesday in May and it closes at 7:00 that day. The only must see is Pandora so I'm torn between doing it first so it's done or waiting until the end of the day when it might be darker. These are what we would like to see/do - it will just be me and my daughter (20). What do you think is the best strategy? Am willing to get Genie or LL if needed. We only have 4 days so this will likely be our only day in AK but we do have park hoppers so could go back if for some reason we couldn't do the Pandora stuff.

Must do:
FOP
Na'vi River Journey

Other things we would like:
Kilimanjaro Safari
Festival of the Lion King
Kali River Rapids

We will also have been up all night so will probably need to do lunch as soon as we arrive - thinking Rainforest Cafe but will easily switch to anywhere else if it makes the plan work better.

We're also west coasters - where are you from?

I was just about to post about a late arrival to AK so instead of starting a new similar thread I hope you don't mind me asking in here. We were planning on doing AK on arrival day and expect to get to the park around 1:00. It will be a Tuesday in May and it closes at 7:00 that day. The only must see is Pandora so I'm torn between doing it first so it's done or waiting until the end of the day when it might be darker. These are what we would like to see/do - it will just be me and my daughter (20). What do you think is the best strategy? Am willing to get Genie or LL if needed. We only have 4 days so this will likely be our only day in AK but we do have park hoppers so could go back if for some reason we couldn't do the Pandora stuff.

Must do:
FOP
Na'vi River Journey

Kilimanjaro Safari
Kali River Rapids

We will also have been up all night so will probably need to do lunch as soon as we arrive - thinking Rainforest Cafe but will easily switch to anywhere else if it makes the plan work better.
I'm no expert, but based on what I've read, wait times are shortest end of day, so I'm planning to do Navi and FoP last (and getting in line at 6:59 would be adequate to let you in). Kilimanjaro Safari is either best first thing in the morning or before the ride closes (animals less active mid-day when it is so hot), so would do that just before, but I'm not sure how far before is enough of a buffer so that you don't miss Pandora (though Safari closes before official park close though). I'd do the show and KRR first (esp in the heat of the afternoon).

Lunch-wise, Satuli canteen and Flame tree BBQ as quick service, (or Nomad lounge mentioned upthread as table service where you can walk up and join a wait list) are way more highly rated dining options in the park over Rainforest cafe. Doesn't necessarily make the plan work better, but it seems like doing Ak in an afternoon won't be particularly challenging, so you can probably be more selective with dining choices if you'd prefer other options.

The other thing is what time of year you are going and when is sunset? I'm going early May where AK closes at 7 and sunset is not until after 8pm. Even jumping in Fop line right before close I don't think I'll be able to witness Pandora in all its nighttime glory :(

Must do:
FOP
Na'vi River Journey

Kilimanjaro Safari
Kali River Rapids

I agree that I’d go with counter service to maximize your time in the park, unless Rainforest Cafe is really high on your list of places to eat. We love Satuli Canteen in Pandora. I don’t think you’d need to get Genie+ to get in everything on your list but it might be worth it to get an ILL for Flight of Passsge to free up the end of day ride for Navi. You could always check wait times in the few days before you are set to arrive and make a game day decision.

I'm no expert, but based on what I've read, wait times are shortest end of day, so I'm planning to do Navi and FoP last (and getting in line at 6:59 would be adequate to let you in). Kilimanjaro Safari is either best first thing in the morning or before the ride closes (animals less active mid-day when it is so hot), so would do that just before, but I'm not sure how far before is enough of a buffer so that you don't miss Pandora (though Safari closes before official park close though). I'd do the show and KRR first (esp in the heat of the afternoon).

Lunch-wise, Satuli canteen and Flame tree BBQ as quick service, (or Nomad lounge mentioned upthread as table service where you can walk up and join a wait list) are way more highly rated dining options in the park over Rainforest cafe. Doesn't necessarily make the plan work better, but it seems like doing Ak in an afternoon won't be particularly challenging, so you can probably be more selective with dining choices if you'd prefer other options.

The other thing is what time of year you are going and when is sunset? I'm going early May where AK closes at 7 and sunset is not until after 8pm. Even jumping in Fop line right before close I don't think I'll be able to witness Pandora in all its nighttime glory :(
We will be there May 16th so it sounds like we won't get to see it at night either :(

Thanks for the rest of the info!

I agree that I’d go with counter service to maximize your time in the park, unless Rainforest Cafe is really high on your list of places to eat. We love Satuli Canteen in Pandora. I don’t think you’d need to get Genie+ to get in everything on your list but it might be worth it to get an ILL for Flight of Passsge to free up the end of day ride for Navi. You could always check wait times in the few days before you are set to arrive and make a game day decision.
I do like Rainforest Cafe but it's not a must do - Satuli Canteen looks good too so I think we'll probably do that instead. Thanks!

I was just looking for a thread about afternoon arrival at AK. We're going the second week of May and are hoping that we don't need Genie+ but we want to ride FOP twice. Our current plan is to get a 5pm ILL for FOP and leave the resort at 2pm on the bus. First go to Nomad lounge for quick meal then Dinosaur, Everest, Safari, then ILL FOP, Naavi, and get in line for FOP last thing. Suggestions appreciated :thanks:

I was just looking for a thread about afternoon arrival at AK. We're going the second week of May and are hoping that we don't need Genie+ but we want to ride FOP twice. Our current plan is to get a 5pm ILL for FOP and leave the resort at 2pm on the bus. First go to Nomad lounge for quick meal then Dinosaur, Everest, Safari, then ILL FOP, Naavi, and get in line for FOP last thing. Suggestions appreciated :thanks:
I'm going first week of May; will try to remember to update this thread with my experience. Everyone's replies are giving me hope!

You will have ton's of time in AK if you get there by 1pm. Cool off for your walk from the front with Kali river rapids, get lunch.... 3pm Lion king (line up for it at 2:30) , Follow with safari, jump in line for Everest (because why not), walk past the tree of life and enjoy looking at the art work it is...... get to Pandora world one hour before close. Jump in line for Navi and then end with flight.

When we were there on a 5 crowd day in November we were able to do this and more..... My kids loved Everest and did it over and over.

If you got park jumpers and plan to jump to a park after and close out the night I would get G+. Otherwise I don't think you're waits will be long..... except Kali at the heat of the day. You might want to do lunch first.

Here's my summary I posted in the still here thread (not the best day, too stressed about not being able to do everything all morning, and ultimately not doing everything I wanted to do). In retrospect I should have come for all day or bought genie+, though we had a couple special circumstances (long wait for new meet and greet Moana, everest down all morning/early aft so when back up longer waits than normal.)
___
5/2 AK part day afternoon, Touringplans crowd level 4, did not buy genie+ (but in hindsight should have). Got notice that expedition everest closed all morning.

Arrived just before 12pm, mobile ordered lunch at flame tree BBQ (nomad lounge walk in list was closed)
Wanted to meet Moana at 12:15 but was told that the line was closed (this was at 12) and to come early next time.
Picked up/ate Flame Tree bbq lunch and ate it in their seating area
1pm Nemo show
1:30 - got in line to meet Moana (2:10 time)
2:30 - in line for expedition everest (posted wait 50 mins). It was closed all morning and DD was sad no rides yet today... Actual wait time 65 mins, booo
3:35 - bathroom, snack break, Maharajah jungle trek
4:20 - was originally planning to get in line for the last showing of Festival of the Lion King at 5. I saw that Dinosaur had a 10 min wait. DD sad we passed it by the first time with a 40 min, so we ran there and had less than 5 min wait. I had visions of this taking too long and us missing the Lion King (the thing I was second most excited for here) because of this... Luckily, we got out around 4:40 and had plenty of time to hightail it to Africa for the lion king show.
5 - Festival of the Lion King show
535 - Kilimanjaro safari walk on. Got lucky and sat on the left (best!) side and had lots of animal sightings.
6:05- off ride and ideal plan was Navi, get Satuli canteen dinner to go, and in line for FoP by 6:59. Unfortunately, too rushed. We made detour at wilderness explorers main stand as I thought we'd get a badge for finishing 5-10 (nope), then took the wrong way to Satuli (started walking to Africa instead). By the time we got to Satuli and picked up dinner, found out that they no longer have to go cutlery, only metal... (and this is a quick service place! Pongu Pongu didn't have any either), decided to forego Navi.
6:30 - got in line for FoP (posted wait 60 min)
7:25 - got off FoP and slowly walked out of park. Sun not down yet, but great photo ops in Pandora and of the Tree of life.

Bah. All in all this day was frustrating. I was stressed all day trying to accomplish everything. Didn't plan on such long waits for Moana and Everest. Didn't get to do Navi, Africa jungle trek, Feathered friends show, Rafiki planet watch. In retrospect we should have just spent the whole day, or bought genie+.

SIMILAR QUESTION: We are planning (first time ever) doing a park on arrival day (Friday) / President's Day Weekend.
Land at MCO around lunchtime, then check in at Contemporary.

• Parks should be open 8a/8p
  • Will plan to just buy FoP (LL+) to save time. Never done it before!
  • Mostly want to do Everest, Dinosaur, Navi, Safari

- Do I need to buy G+?
- What's the best order? I assume finish at Pandora?
- Can I start stacking before I leave my home airport? If not, when exactly?
- What happens if I buy 3-day pass, and my flight is REALLY delayed? Can I just plan to do this on our departure day (Monday)?
- Has anyone done this on a departure day? Seems like a really long day if rope dropping at 8am, and then taking 4pm MCO flight, that lands at 6pm EST

I have been told that presidents weekend is busy. If that holds I would buy Genie +.

I also would hold off buying G+ until the ride times are closer to when you need them. This will give you some time to see if you are having issues with the plane and to look at wait times and see if it's needed.

The best way to stack is to watch wait times and to pick the rides you want when it gets to that time. You can move them as new times come up and not loose your clock to book another. The difficult thing about AK is that it's not really that busy and so it can take a while for the rides times to get later.

I would make sure you get Safari around 3pm or later as the animals are not as active in the heat of the sun. Really good just after it rains.

Hope that helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter