• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Animation classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJlauren

DIS Veteran
I know over the years Disney has offered a few different animation classes.

If you have taken one what is the age range, and what is the youngest age you would take to one of these classes?

My DD is 5 loves art and to draw, I assume she will be on the young end, but is she to young?

Thinking of getting a FP for the new class in animal kingdom but not positive it makes sense.

Thanks!

I used to love to go to the animation class at HS before it was discontinued. I am NOT an artist. The class went relatively fast for me. I would get a little behind at times. I didn't do a great job, but it was fun.

I am also a first grade teacher. At the end of the school year, we have a fun little end of the year unit on a once popular kid's book/TV character. Just for fun (which is rare in schools these days-students work so very hard), I showed them how to draw the character. The students loved this so much. This character was many times easier than what I tried to draw at the Disney Animation Class. My students are seven or almost seven when we draw our character. I have to demonstrate how to draw the character very slowly.

Having said all of that, a 5 year old is probably too young based on my Disney Animation Class memories. But if your child is easy going and wouldn't be upset/sad to get lost or unable to finish, give it a go. Now that I think of it, I think there are YouTube videos where you can follow along and draw a character. Maybe give that a try before you make a decision.

I made a FastPass for the new AK attraction for July 13th. We may not be able to arrive on time after our Yak and Yeti lunch. But if we do, I will try to remember to report back on our experience.

I used to love to go to the animation class at HS before it was discontinued. I am NOT an artist. The class went relatively fast for me. I would get a little behind at times. I didn't do a great job, but it was fun.

I am also a first grade teacher. At the end of the school year, we have a fun little end of the year unit on a once popular kid's book/TV character. Just for fun (which is rare in schools these days-students work so very hard), I showed them how to draw the character. The students loved this so much. This character was many times easier than what I tried to draw at the Disney Animation Class. My students are seven or almost seven when we draw our character. I have to demonstrate how to draw the character very slowly.

Having said all of that, a 5 year old is probably too young based on my Disney Animation Class memories. But if your child is easy going and wouldn't be upset/sad to get lost or unable to finish, give it a go. Now that I think of it, I think there are YouTube videos where you can follow along and draw a character. Maybe give that a try before you make a decision.

I made a FastPass for the new AK attraction for July 13th. We may not be able to arrive on time after our Yak and Yeti lunch. But if we do, I will try to remember to report back on our experience.
Thank you! If you could report back that would be amazing!

I do think she would love it but do worry she may get a bit lost. Decisions decisions

Oh seeing this makes me happy!!! Have missed going to animation!!

My DD started going at age 5, we had to help her along sometimes but she did her best. We continued to go every trip to DL and WDW it’s was fun seeing how her drawings improved. I’ve kept them all in scrapbooks.

Oh seeing this makes me happy!!! Have missed going to animation!!

My DD started going at age 5, we had to help her along sometimes but she did her best. We continued to go every trip to DL and WDW it’s was fun seeing how her drawings improved. I’ve kept them all in scrapbooks.

Happy the news made you happy!

Maybe we will give it a try, totally going to check for some YouTube videos as well.

Do they still do these? When I was 10 (1990!) I remember taking a half-day tour of what was then called Disney MGM Studios, back when the Animation building was a working animation studio, and got to go behind the scenes and learn from real animators. It was one of the best, most memorable days of my life. I still have the Mickey Mouse drawing at the end - my proudest moment was when the animator held my drawing up as an example to the class of how it should be done. I miss that, and miss that old Animation tour. Such fun.

Plenty of kids that age at the free Art of Animation drawing class. Definitely worth a trip as the resort is very cool to explore as well.

Do they still do these? When I was 10 (1990!) I remember taking a half-day tour of what was then called Disney MGM Studios, back when the Animation building was a working animation studio, and got to go behind the scenes and learn from real animators. It was one of the best, most memorable days of my life. I still have the Mickey Mouse drawing at the end - my proudest moment was when the animator held my drawing up as an example to the class of how it should be done. I miss that, and miss that old Animation tour. Such fun.
Plenty of kids that age at the free Art of Animation drawing class. Definitely worth a trip as the resort is very cool to explore as well.
Sorry I wasn’t clear in my post, they have added an animation class at the conservation station in animal kingdom, it opens July 11th!

When I called Disney to book an FP+ for the new animation class at conservation station I specifically enquirer about this as I’m traveling with DS5 and DD6. They said it should fit their ages perfectly! Go for it!

When I called Disney to book an FP+ for the new animation class at conservation station I specifically enquirer about this as I’m traveling with DS5 and DD6. They said it should fit their ages perfectly! Go for it!
When do you go? Would love a review after :)

Last time we did this, my girls were 3 and 6. My 3 year old got a little frustrated, so I helped her and all was good. My 6 year old rocked it. Her drawing was better than mine 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter