Anna Sorokin/Delvey

CdnCarrie

DIS Veteran
Anyone been following this story - either in the press, netflix series or the book? I just read the book and saw the interview last night.
Going to watch the Netflix series maybe this weekend.

The author of the book was kind of annoying. I get it was a traumatic situation but the fact that she stayed at the hotel but was trying to have the charge totally removed didn't sit well with me. It wasn't the hotel's fault that her friend lied. Rachel also stayed at the hotel and ate food. Hotel needs to get paid.

I tried to watch the Netflix series, but couldn't get into it. The character just creeped me out too much.

Anyone been following this story - either in the press, netflix series or the book? I just read the book and saw the interview last night.
Going to watch the Netflix series maybe this weekend.

The author of the book was kind of annoying. I get it was a traumatic situation but the fact that she stayed at the hotel but was trying to have the charge totally removed didn't sit well with me. It wasn't the hotel's fault that her friend lied. Rachel also stayed at the hotel and ate food. Hotel needs to get paid.

The series does a far better job developing the enigmatic character of Anna than the book did. The book's author focused on her relationship with Anna, her perceptions and the incident of being personally swindled. IMO, she did not flatter herself and came off looking rather shallow and weak. The Netflix series was based on extensive work done by New York Magazine journalist Jessica Pressler and takes a far broader and deeper look at Anna.

We really enjoyed the Netflix series and were fascinated by the story. It helped that we love the actress who played Anna. As far as we’re concerned Julia Garner can do no wrong, although many people didn’t like her accent in this role.. Think she is a very talented actor. The real Anna is definitely creepy.

I loved this Netflix story and I thought it was well done. I also read the New York Magazine article. Anna is a fascinating person in my opinion. It is amazing how confident she was and how she fooled so many people. Rachel was in my opinion just a mooch trying to get stuff for free. I did not feel bad for her at all. I also read Rachel's piece about woe is me. I love these stories that cause me to go down many a rabbit hole looking for more information.

We really enjoyed the Netflix series and were fascinated by the story. It helped that we love the actress who played Anna. As far as we’re concerned Julia Garner can do no wrong, although many people didn’t like her accent in this role.. Think she is a very talented actor. The real Anna is definitely creepy.
It was seriously confusing...but it made perfect sense after reading several more articles on Anna. Apparently the accent in the show was VERY close to the weird, unidentifiable accent she actually spoke with. It sounded totally fake and made up, because it was. She was trying to sound like she assumed Americans would expect a generic continental "European" to sound, while at the same time trying to obfuscate the fact her native language was Russian, not German.

It was seriously confusing...but it made perfect sense after reading several more articles on Anna. Apparently the accent in the show was VERY close to the weird, unidentifiable accent she actually spoke with. It sounded totally fake and made up, because it was. She was trying to sound like she assumed Americans would expect a generic continental "European" to sound, while at the same time trying to obfuscate the fact her native language was Russian, not German.
The accent was nothing like how she sounded. Trust me, I had to go down that rabbit hole to see if something so ridiculously annoying actually existed lol. She sounded rather normal in comparison to the actress. I think it was the nasal pitch she used.

I watched the Netflix series and thought it was so good. I did a little more research, but have not really continued to follow the story. It was definitely a crazy one.

Started Netflix series yesterday and it’s rather slow. Maybe because I already read the book?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter