Announcing Freewheelin' Disney 2004!

DramaTech

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!
Announcing the 1st ever “Freewheelin’ Disney Adventure”

Join me, Chet McDoniel, from the Cruising Co, Etc., Deb Wills from AllEars.net, and many others on an adventure like no other. It’s the 1st annual Mobility Impaired group trip to the happiest place on Earth! I am a wheelchair user myself, and am a self-proclaimed "Fan for Life" of Walt Disney World and the Disney Cruise Line. My assistants and I will lead the group throughout the trip to insure that your vacation will go as smoothly as possible.

We will spend 4 nights at the Walt Disney World Resort starting on May 12, 2004. Choose to spend the 4 nights at either Disney’s Port Orleans - Riverside or Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge, and with our incredible rates at both, you can’t go wrong. Enjoy the immense fun of the 4 major Theme Parks, guided tours of the parks from myself and others, and a magical private dessert party during a presentation of Illuminations: Reflections of Earth at Epcot®. Then, on May 16th we set sail for 4 nights to the Bahamas onboard one of the most beautiful ships afloat, the Disney Wonder®. Enjoy spectacular entertainment, unique dining experiences and enchanting adventures that only Disney could create. The Disney Wonder® offers engaging onboard activities for every member of the family. They take extra care in making sure your needs and desires are met, and that you have a wonderful time.

This vacation has been especially designed for those traveling in wheelchairs, their families and friends. Close attention has been paid to every last detail so that you can simply enjoy what Disney has to offer without worrying about anything. I will work individually with each party, making sure all needs are met both prior to arrival and during both the land and sea portions of the vacation.

We have reserved wheelchair accessible cabins, but must turn them back into Disney Cruise Line on August 1st. After that time they will be subject to availability. For more information about the trip or to reserve your space, please email me at chetm@cruisingco.com

Thanks to Webmaster Pete for allowing a post on this so that all of my DIS boards friends here will know about the trip, too!

Although I have never taken a Disney cruise, it is my understanding that there are very few accessible cabins on the Wonder (or Magic). Also, from what I have heard the elevators are very small and I have read of MANY instances where people in chairs were unable to get into the elevators because of the crowds.

Are you sure this will work?

Originally posted by Cheshire Figment
Although I have never taken a Disney cruise, it is my understanding that there are very few accessible cabins on the Wonder (or Magic). Also, from what I have heard the elevators are very small and I have read of MANY instances where people in chairs were unable to get into the elevators because of the crowds.

Are you sure this will work?

Well, with all new ideas, of course there will be some issues to work out. You're right, there are not too many accessible cabins on either ship and several have already been taken for our chosen date, but there are still several cabins left. Also, not everyone will need an accessible cabin. For example, my electric wheelchair will not fit through a normal cabin door, however, for someone who has a folding wheelchair and can walk short distances, they may not need an accessible cabin. Of course, it's first come, first serve.

As for the elevator thing, I did not experience near the level of problem that I had heard about when I went on the Disney Wonder on June 1st. There were a couple of times when I had to wait on 1 or 2 elevators to pass by before being able to get on one...and once when it took 4 or 5...but other than that, it was not an issue at all. In fact, I was very surprised to see how many elevators came to my floor totally empty.

Please let me know if you all have any other questions...I'd be glad to answer.

-Chet

Hi videogal1,

Welcome to the DIS! Of course ECVs and service dogs are welcome!!! We want everyone who can to join us on this adventure! :cool:

Bumping this up so more people will see. It sounds like fun. Wish we could come.

Cash and I are packin' our sunglasses and bathers for a trip on the high seas. I put down my deposit yesterday and signed up one on electric wheels and one on four legs for this most excellent adventure. Come on wheelers, this trip is gonna COOK!
Remember, there's no better way to meet new friends than getting temporarily caught in an elevator together......Wheeee, another E-ticket ride!
Lynda and Cash:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to give an update that Disney Cruise Line is allowing us to hold the wheelchair accessible cabins for quite a bit longer than we were originally told. There's plenty of space available, so please email me if you have any questions about the trip!

I just wanted to let everyone know that we have a website set up for FreeWheelin' now! It's www.freewheelindisney.com

I has the latest info, and hopefully it will serve as a place to gather online before going on the trip!

We still have space available for the trip! Just shoot me an email or visit the website, and I'll be happy to secure your space!

Bumping this up. We have 3 wheelchair accessible cabins left and a few wheelchair rooms left on land. Please act quickly if you're interested!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter