Announcing your resort stay on the back of your car

No. Granted we haven't driven in years but when we did just no. I guess I don't see the appeal

I don't even park at a hotel because I don't want people to know I'm staying at a hotel. When we stop for meals on road trips, we eat in the car, for obvious reasons (Cracker Barrel is particularly accommodating at delivering food to your car). And on road trips, when the drive-through person at McDonalds gets too friendly with too many questions, I just cut my losses and pull away. Can't risk it. In my GPS, I don't enter the destination, in case it gets hacked and the hacker knows where to find me. I use paper maps (that I buy with cash, naturally.) I keep nearly all road trips within my state, because once I've crossed state lines, I enter people's crosshairs with my out-of-state plates. And instead of telling coworkers and acquaintances we're out of town, I tell them we're all cooped up with the stomach flu, just so no one comes around.

Sad to say, but that's how it is these days (even though car thefts, car break ins, and overall crime is way, way down compared to decades ago).

Now in all seriousness.... we made a long road trip to Disney when I was a kid. For several hours we were near another car on I-95 with many people in it. My dad said, "Wonder if they're headed to Disney World" despite us being in like, South Carolina. So I wrote a sign and held it up that read "Going to Disney?" And the kids in the back excitedly nodded in response. We wrote notes back and forth for several miles and it was quite charming.

Of course they robbed us at the next rest stop, but the first part is a good memory...

I read the first part of this thinking you were some kind of paranoid freak....:rotfl:

Well played. :thumbsup2

These are some good points here with the "tourist" label, hmmm, maybe not.
you could put it on after you check out of layover hotel. We drive down from NC and usually stop, for the night, about 2-3 hours before Disney. We get up and head straight to Disney, no stops for meals just maybe a rest area potty stop and everyone at those are travelers and know you're a traveller too.

you could put it on after you check out of layover hotel. We drive down from NC and usually stop, for the night, about 2-3 hours before Disney. We get up and head straight to Disney, no stops for meals just maybe a rest area potty stop and everyone at those are travelers and know you're a traveller too.
That's us.

We leave at 4am, head for Florida. We stop for gas and to pee.

Our only real stop, is on Disney property, where we unload everything.

Even though we wouldn't have anything of value in our vehicle while doing an overnight stay at a hotel, (other than a firearm, and I am sure my husband will carry it into the hotel) I have decided against this as to not draw any attention to us.

We travel from Texas to Florida and usually stop for the night around Mobile Alabama. Due to the license plates, it's obvious that we're travelers so we always carry everything into the room. The car could still get broken into but I don't see a way to stop that.

Why not put something in the car that you can take out if you want to do this? Maybe something in the back window? I don't see the point but I know that others enjoy it.

Not the same as the question that was asked, but I don't understand people who post pictures of themselves being on vacation DURING their vacation. You are screaming "hey...look...I'm not at home!!". The second time we went, my neighbor watched us pack our car. We were hoping he wouldn't be home. He's not the most trustworthy of neighbors. Well..low and behold...our shed was broken into. So we really try to keep it low key when we leave. And we now make sure someone is staying at our house.

Well my adult daughter will be home, and we don't really have any direct neighbors. We live on 30 acres.

I live on Maui so we are full of tourists year round. There are thieves that go directly to "touristy" areas with the sole purpose of breaking into vehicles. Announcing where you are going and that you are a tourist is a recipe for disaster. Either way, you should never leave anything of value unattended in your car, not even for a minute - with or without out of state license plates.

Not the same as the question that was asked, but I don't understand people who post pictures of themselves being on vacation DURING their vacation. You are screaming "hey...look...I'm not at home!!". The second time we went, my neighbor watched us pack our car. We were hoping he wouldn't be home. He's not the most trustworthy of neighbors. Well..low and behold...our shed was broken into. So we really try to keep it low key when we leave. And we now make sure someone is staying at our house.

So many people have cameras in their homes, security systems etc. They can alert them when there’s movement or check them anytime for peace of mind.

I’m not one for advertising that I’m not home on social media, but I think advances in technology make people feel much more comfortable sharing that they’re away when they can check in on things from afar.

ETA: That is awful that you experienced that while you were away. Ugh. So disappointing.

Last edited:
I've heard the argument that you shouldn't put on Facebook that you're going to be out of your home for extended periods. My question to that is - why have you chosen to be Facebook friends with people who you think may possibly break into your home??

I've heard the argument that you shouldn't put on Facebook that you're going to be out of your home for extended periods. My question to that is - why have you chosen to be Facebook friends with people who you think may possibly break into your home??

Exactly my thought. I don't friend sketchy people that I think might break into my house. People need to be more discerning about their friends list apparently.

I don't think it it's necessarily YOUR friends. However, you don't know who sees their post or what they write. You just never know.

I personally would not do this. I think in general, people want to draw too much attention to themselves these days. I know we live in a narcissistic society and social media is king, but I prefer privacy. I also don’t announce anything about my vacation on Facebook until we return home. I am sure some see that as paranoia, but I am just not that trusting.

You do know that despite zuckerbergs claims and privacy policy, FB is not private, right???

If you post and your friend comments, friends of that friend can see it. I see junk (LOL, yes please, your dinner looks good, your kids are getting big) on posts of people I don’t know all the time because my friends comment on their friends posts.

It is better to be safe and take precautions.:goodvibes:thumbsup2

NO - privacy is best
Some one tracks your license plate number and breaks into your home while at WDW :(
At WDW someone thinks you have valuables in your car - not a good idea.

Decorate inside for your family
Remove decorations to the trunk or under the seat for no extra eyes to see.

Hubby is in law - he ditto's no outside decorations for the world to see

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter