Annoying habits your neighbors have?

I used to live beside the loveliest old man named Charlie. He has sold his place and moved back to Boston and now I have new part time neighbors. Luckily I live in a neighborhood that is mostly peoples vacation homes so they only come on weekends but the guy is friendly, but you can tell he's a bit redneck. He constantly parks in between our houses and half in my yard which would be fine if he had just asked me ONE time if I minded from time to time if he took up a bit of my yard. I just don't like the assuming as if I don't matter. If I wanted to mow or something, I would have to ask him to move his cars....and he's ALWAYS got a whole nother space in his own DRIVEWAY. A couple of days ago I heard him talking on the phone because he sits on the porch and makes no attempt to be quiet, and I could tell he was talking about his wife having too much to drink etc so I know they basically come here to party. Well the guy came home and asked his wife, "what's this in front of your car?" and she says, "Oh that's throw up." from who? "From Cole, the other night". That would be their 20 something year old son. Did they even attempt to at least spray it with a hose? Nope, it's been there between our houses for a week now. Classy.

One of our neighbor's dogs would get out basically every day and wander around the neighborhood. The dog would either dig under the fence or one of the children would them out the front door.

But they installed an electric fence this week.

being that it's on your property, can you not just knock it down?
Technically, it's not on our property - it's on the property line. He trespassed on our side and excavated our property to build it. It's a prescriptive easement and has been for over 80 years. He's not allowed to block our use, not even to park there which he did for about 8 years prior to building the wall. The city planning department has even given us a statement in support of that -but- it's a Civil matter. We have to go to court to get that enforced.

Besides that, this is not the first or even the last rotten thing he has done. He reported my (super friendly) chocolate lab to animal control for barking so we keep him inside, where he then reported him AGAIN when he barked at the mailman from INSIDE the house, we have 2 missing cats that we suspect he trapped and took to the pound outside of our city so we couldn't find them - he's done that TWICE before with other neighbors' cats but they got the cats back, we did not. He put the neighbor on the other side into bankruptcy when he built a wall on his property on that side. The list goes on - this is a BAD neighbor. We don't want to escalate things because we really don't want to see the next rotten thing he's going to do. SOOO...off to court we go. We are swinging for the fences, but doing it through the courts, to make it go away for good.

Would it have been easier to just move? Yes, and we'd like to, but his wall has deteriorated our property value so much that we can't.

My neighbor just moved in a few months ago. The last owner took down our old fence and replaced some panels (very poorly) we gave permission. This past winter the GIANT willow tree in his yard started snapping off giant chunks into our yard and on the fence. We asked him to get the tree looked at for saftey (we both have kids) he said the guy said it was fine. Come a few months later his tree broke more and took 3 fence panels down. I dont care if we have a fence our son is old enough so now we have just fence missing where his tree overhangs. Im curious if he says anything this summer about it. I wont put up a nice new fence with that tree there.

My neighbor parks in a non parking spot against his curb (we are in townhomes). There are plenty of parking spaces so I don't know why he can't use one.

Technically, it's not on our property - it's on the property line. He trespassed on our side and excavated our property to build it. It's a prescriptive easement and has been for over 80 years. He's not allowed to block our use, not even to park there which he did for about 8 years prior to building the wall. The city planning department has even given us a statement in support of that -but- it's a Civil matter. We have to go to court to get that enforced.

Besides that, this is not the first or even the last rotten thing he has done. He reported my (super friendly) chocolate lab to animal control for barking so we keep him inside, where he then reported him AGAIN when he barked at the mailman from INSIDE the house, we have 2 missing cats that we suspect he trapped and took to the pound outside of our city so we couldn't find them - he's done that TWICE before with other neighbors' cats but they got the cats back, we did not. He put the neighbor on the other side into bankruptcy when he built a wall on his property on that side. The list goes on - this is a BAD neighbor. We don't want to escalate things because we really don't want to see the next rotten thing he's going to do. SOOO...off to court we go. We are swinging for the fences, but doing it through the courts, to make it go away for good.

Would it have been easier to just move? Yes, and we'd like to, but his wall has deteriorated our property value so much that we can't.
So sorry to hear that.

My previous neighbors always kept their windows open in the summer, they would do dishes and start piano practice at 9 or 10 pm. Every. Single. Night.

I live in a townhouse and the neighbor I share a wall with sings VERY loudly when he is drunk, which is pretty much every day. He also has a drug problem and knocks on the walls for hours when he is high. He was laid off last March when everything shut down and he was home 24/7 for months with nothing better to do but drink and smoke and I was so happy when he finally went back to work in the summer. Happy for him and REALLY happy for me and my kids because he was driving us crazy!

It's not annoying more puzzling...New neighbors moved in diagonally across the street in October. Due to the pandemic, we've pretty much waved and shouted welcome to the neighborhood. The family seems to be a college age kid and his parents. The college kid's car is home for holidays and random weekends--seems like he lives on campus. Regardless of when the college kid is home, the two street facing upstairs bedrooms have led lights inside that flash different colors. Some nights both are red, sometimes they cycle through through the rainbow, for a bit one was red and one was blue, last night the left one was dark but the right one was flashing blue and green. I just want to figure out if there is a pattern/reason.
We once had an LED nightlight that cycled through colors like that or we could stop and set it to one color. Maybe that's what they have in those rooms.

We had a bunch of that garbage. They decided the yard between us was a good place to play ball despite the property line being all the way up against their driveway...making the entire yard ours. So their kids balls stayed constantly in our yard and the last straw was one day I was napping, on the opposite side of my house and a huge boom woke me up. The kid had thrown a baseball against my house...likenot even the side of my house he lives next to! I caught him running through my yard to retrieve the ball and he lied about it. Fence went up very quickly afterwards. And they sure did get themselves a survey when they saw where we were laying the fence line. And never said a word after that.
Currently the #*@$# is outside running a table saw. At 10 pm. In the rain.

I would be mowing my grass at 8:00a three days a week then.
People mowing grass is what I find annoying, but it’s not like they can help it. I am not talking about people mowing early, or late. The sound of the mowers is like fingernails on a chalkboard, and I just cringe until it’s done. It doesn’t matter if it’s the ones next to me, the ones behind me or the ones across the street.

On the whole though, and especially after reading this thread, I have decent neighbors. The worst I put up with is a little nosiness, but being an introvert, I think they’re just trying to be social.

How close are the homes that you can hear your neighbors doing dishes in their house???

The last house we lived in, there was maybe 8-9 feet between houses (there was just enough room for each house to have one standard single width gate to the back yard), and we could hear them in their kitchen all the time, even with windows closed. They would sneeze and we would say “Bless you!”. We made sure when we moved that there was a lot of space between houses. There is probably 25 feet between houses here. Not a sound from inside the neighbors house.

Our one neighbor likes to pretend part of our yard is his. Right now there is a soccer field set up on it complete with orange sticks in the ground marking the boundaries. My husband gets so mad. It’s extra fun during grass cutting season when their crap is in the way.
I feel like mulching a few items by "mistake" would send a message.
And he’s divorced, so you know there is something wrong with him.
Is this an inside joke that I'm not aware of? Because it's kind of a screwed up comment.
I'm sure you've already exhausted all paths but did he need a permit for that? Are there any guidelines that he's violating? Most towns have property line setbacks for a fence... I would think similar for a wall like that.

Overall we’ve got great neighbors, but one next to us kept letting his dog run outside without a leash to chase his RC car, even into our yard. We are in a subdivision with lots that aren’t huge. And there’s obviously a leash law. Our kids are scared of dogs so then they were terrified to go out and play in our backyard never knowing when the dog would be let out. After hinting several times (calling over “the kids are out and they are scared! Please leash the dog!”) and no change, DH had to go talk to him.
He stopped, but our other neighbor said that when we’re out of town he drives his rc car all over his and our front lawn and let’s the dog off leash to chase it.
Oh and another mom down the road comes into our backyard with her toddler and plays on our playset whenever she feels like it without asking. We’ll just be eating dinner and see the two of them out playing in our backyard using our toys. We don’t have more than a casual waving/ say hello on the street type relationship. It’s so weird and really annoys me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter