• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Annoying habits your neighbors have?

Overall we’ve got great neighbors, but one next to us kept letting his dog run outside without a leash to chase his RC car, even into our yard. We are in a subdivision with lots that aren’t huge. And there’s obviously a leash law. Our kids are scared of dogs so then they were terrified to go out and play in our backyard never knowing when the dog would be let out. After hinting several times (calling over “the kids are out and they are scared! Please leash the dog!”) and no change, DH had to go talk to him.
He stopped, but our other neighbor said that when we’re out of town he drives his rc car all over his and our front lawn and let’s the dog off leash to chase it.
Oh and another mom down the road comes into our backyard with her toddler and plays on our playset whenever she feels like it without asking. We’ll just be eating dinner and see the two of them out playing in our backyard using our toys. We don’t have more than a casual waving/ say hello on the street type relationship. It’s so weird and really annoys me.
That would drive me crazy. Do you have a fence in your backyard?
if not, can you put one up?
that’s the whole thing, not respecting other peoples property drives me nuts.

the mother is trespassing. It’s probably not a good thing to teach to her child.

We have great neighbors! Only 16 houses on our street and we are on 1.3 acres. Most houses are also in good size land. On both sides of us we are real good friends with our neighbors. We go to dinner, cook out etc. just this past Sunday half the neighborhood was at our house. We played corn hole, drank beer and all the kids played together. When the water warms up it will be pool parties on nice days. I got it ready last week but it’s way too cold! We did have one rental house across from us and have had a few bad neighbors but they don’t stay long. I have backed into every tenants vehicle that has lived there. I have a large truck and when they park across from my driveway, I can’t get out. Mailbox on one side, cable box on the other so I can only turn so much. Every time someone has blocked me in, I have talked to them and explained that I can’t get in or out of my driveway with their car there. They stopped for a day or 2 then I would head out to work and there it was. Another car blocking me in. I could understand if they had no choice but we all have 100 foot or greater yard frontage plus our driveways can hold at least 6 cars end to end. Also our city ordinance prohibits parking in the street so I never had to pay for damages :) but they never parked there again! That house has just sold last week. Praying for good neighbors.

Last edited:
Where do I begin? We call our neighbors the crackheads, they're usually as high as can be. The owner of the house doesn't live anywhere near us so now he is letting his kids live there (they are around their 40's). No job, house looks like $#it, last summer they didn't cut their grass so I had to report them to the township, and they don't pay for garbage service so they pile up their garbage in the backyard. Unfortunately, I can't afford to put up a privacy fence.
I don't live in a bad neighborhood, property taxes are quite high due to the great school district. Mostly older people or young couples just starting out live on the street. Everyone keeps their houses looking nice, yards are always cleaned, cut and kept nice.

Don't get me started ...
We live in a shared house *sigh* as we have no other option for the forseeable future.
The one downstairs doesn't know how central heating works, keeps touching the main panel, so I'm the one having to adjust it.
During summer last year, it was 32 degrees upstairs in our room, 24 degrees downstairs in the hallway where the panel is, and little missy still had the commen sense to turn it up ??
(also, you don't touch the panel, you turn the knobs on the radiators in your own room to 0 if you had enough, but she just won't get it)
I have a special word for her which I won't use, lol.
She's not very approachable, when we see her, she's nog all that nice/social, so we are a bit scared to talk to her, since she lives underneath and could make our lives difficult, and I don't even want to go there.

One of the other housemates was a king in moldy food, the amount of times I told him to watch out, luckily he's gone now.

There's a woman next door, housewarming party in week 2 of the first lockdown, se we called the cops on her. Not just for that really, but it was 2 am and loud music and drunk people being loud, and we wanted to sleep :p
Herself, whenever on the phone, instead of staying inside, nope, she'd come outside, loudspeaker on, even with our window closed we could hear everything, and this usually went on every day for almost the entire day.
She's gone too now, and my God, the past 3 weeks have been so quiet ....

Most of my neighbours are great, just the normal day to day life noises, but there 2 houses who play loud music day and night once the warm weather starts.

One house plays Romany ethic music during daylight hours from about April to October every year. They open their back door and turn the music up loud. Its the same songs /music on a loop hour after hour.

One house plays dance music, like gym music from about 7pm to midnight.

I'm sure you've already exhausted all paths but did he need a permit for that? Are there any guidelines that he's violating? Most towns have property line setbacks for a fence... I would think similar for a wall like that.
Oh boy, did we ever. The City code enforcement was a complete waste of time - they wouldn't even return my phone calls, then when they did, they wouldn't do anything because the wall was under 4'. If it had been over 4' he would have needed a signed agreement from us. There are other code provisions saying he needs to give us at least 9', but CE wouldn't take action on that either. They just called the whole thing a "civil matter". We suspect he knows someone in code enforcement FWIW. They gave him a permit for the gate pilaster at the end of the wall that was bundled into a permit for the BBQ on the other side of his property that he has been building for years. The pilaster is 7' tall, but because it is not a "wall", he didn't need our sign-off on that. He doesn't need a permit for the pilaster (or the BBQ) in that case either - he just wanted to have a signed-off permit to show the court.

I live on a small street with 4 houses on each side. 3 are older single women who's husbands have passed. The one across from me, I call them the hippie couple (probably in their 60's). They are nice and ask often how my daughter is. My neighbor next to me, her husband was working from home and they have one son at home (just graduated virtually in June).

My neighbor on the left side built a fence during last summer and did a good job. His house faces south and my house faces west, so his backyard goes along my front yard. He extended his side yard 5 feet to the side walk which means his back fence goes to the sidewalk. I don't mind as I don't stare at the corner anyway. He however, pulled all the weeds out of my planter box (goes along his back fence), laid down that black tarp stuff so I could put down bark. He also took out this old fencing from my house to his back fence and put up a new fence for me (there use to be an old falling down gate). He also took his chain saw and took out this weird bush tree growing in the corner that was rooting all over. (I did pay him some $$ for the wood). However...........

2 doors down (next to the lonely mother/wife), this woman had invited me for tea in the past. A month ago I took my dog out to do his business and she came down accusing me of abusing my dog, telling me I had to take him to the groomer, telling me I had to come show her when I was done. She was crying and telling me he was abused. If I could post a picture, I would. He was a bichon and probably a month overdue for his shaving. I always have him shaved once a year and clip him at home but because of the pandemic, they weren't doing it and now overbooked. Not one other neighbor agrees with her. What she didn't know was he had been going to the vet due to severe pancreatitis and probably wouldn't make it but the way she was berating me, I didn't feel the need to tell her. I found out later that she stopped my fence neighbor telling him that I abuse my dog, that I was a liar (because I didn't take him to show her after his vet visit that she thought was a groomer visit). Then she asked him if he could do some work for her and he told her no, that he thought I was okay and I was not a dog abuser and for her to leave his property. The vet did not think I abused him and sadly he passed 2 weeks ago as the antibiotics didn't work. She also told one of the single ladies across the way. 3-4 weeks ago we had a major storm with high winds. Happened to be trash day. 6 am I am outside in the dark, pouring rain, high winds, lightening picking up my trash from down the street as the wind blew our trashcans over. My daughter wears diapers so wanted to make sure it was all picked up. When I mentioned how rough it was doing this at 6am during the storm, she pointed to 3 sheets of wipes that were in the middle of the street telling me, i missed some and that it made our street look junky. I have the large trashcan and had picked up the entire thing from the street and she points to 3 wipes that possibly were not mine as we don't use them. (others were out picking up some of their trash). So my lawn needs to be mowed. I just hired my across neighbor's lawn people. I'm sure she's rolling around that my yard needs mowing. But, my daughter has been in ICU 3 times since October so it's not high on my priority list. (it's not bad but could. use a mow)

**forgot to mention. 2 days after she berated me, the police showed up at my door to do a welfare check on my dog. He said that my dog was not abused. I was so mad, I had a bottle of his urine I was taking to the vet and held it up to the police officer and asked him if he wanted to drive it to the vet for me. This while my daughter was in ICU with multiple blood clots in her lungs. That is why my fence neighbor was mad.

Last edited:
Nosy Neighbor is going to just LOVE me now because I recycled some metal bed frame parts yesterday and turned them into a snap pea trellis for our raised bed vegetable garden in the side yard that faces her 2nd story house. Let's all take bets on how many days it takes her to ask what in the world my new contraption is. :rotfl2:

I totally went off the rails and didn't realize I didn't post anything that has to do with the thread title lol. One of my next door neighbors does do one thing that annoys me. He is obsessed with his burn barrel. Once fall gets here, he is burning every day and when the wind is blowing towards us we cannot go outside or have any open windows. Even with the windows closed, we can smell the leaves and branches burning.

Mine are all family-
We have 10 acres.
Non relatives live 40 acres away on either side.
The biggest issues we have had lately are the side by sides riding down our highways. They are tearing up driveways around here.
So most of the time they are okay.

Oh boy, did we ever. The City code enforcement was a complete waste of time - they wouldn't even return my phone calls, then when they did, they wouldn't do anything because the wall was under 4'. If it had been over 4' he would have needed a signed agreement from us. There are other code provisions saying he needs to give us at least 9', but CE wouldn't take action on that either. They just called the whole thing a "civil matter". We suspect he knows someone in code enforcement FWIW. They gave him a permit for the gate pilaster at the end of the wall that was bundled into a permit for the BBQ on the other side of his property that he has been building for years. The pilaster is 7' tall, but because it is not a "wall", he didn't need our sign-off on that. He doesn't need a permit for the pilaster (or the BBQ) in that case either - he just wanted to have a signed-off permit to show the court.

I feel for you OP. That is just crazy. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

We have crazy neighbors on one side at our lake house and we share a driveway from the road to part way down the hill to where our house are. Luckily we branch off side to side from there and we face in the cove and they are more out on the body of the lake. Our houses are a about 100 yards apart too.

I call them BSC (bat s crazy). They yelled at us for taking down some overgrown weed bushes between our properties as now all they see is lake when the cran their necks around the corner of their house. Six months later we (us and them) had to put a culvert down the side of the driveway and into the lake to keep rain water from washing out the driveway. The overgrown bushes would have been taken out anyway during that process so their point was moot. They also accused us of pulling our their property stake from the surveyor. We remember seeing it, but we never touched it as it we do not even walk over near their property on that side as the hill is very steep. We have a lawn service for our house and the other six houses in the cove. My guess is they may have ran over it at some point in time, or an animal could have pulled it out thinking it was food. They also use the trash cans that we pay for we the other six houses in the cove.

Luckily all the six neighbors on the other side of us are all great people and we have a lot of fun together. We wave and say hello to BSC, but as they are so far away from our house and dock area they are very easy to ignore.

I totally went off the rails and didn't realize I didn't post anything that has to do with the thread title lol. One of my next door neighbors does do one thing that annoys me. He is obsessed with his burn barrel. Once fall gets here, he is burning every day and when the wind is blowing towards us we cannot go outside or have any open windows. Even with the windows closed, we can smell the leaves and branches burning.

I remember when I was little we had a barrel like that, and used it at least once a week.
Then most cities in the country put a ban on it, and it's not allowed anymore. The stench, and (well, sorry to say) some dumb people getting hurt :/
Then I moved to England, and it's a "common" thing still around the place we live.

Our next door neighbors are "yard o'holics". By that I mean they mow their yard twice a week. Even now when our grass is completely dormant. They put two to three bags of yard waste out weekly for the recycling truck (grass and leaves). The have two trees in their yard and those have no leaves. She will sit in her yard for hours on end and pick dead grass out of her lawn. Last week she power washed everything including her fence (6 1/2 ft Cedar privacy fence). Problem is she blew all of the dirt and grime through the fence onto my house and pool equipment. It was a mess. I am pretty sure they have no hobbies and basically their hobby is yard work. When they moved in there were several China Berry trees (Chinese Tallows, fast growing nasty little things that we had China Berrie fights with as a kid) The berries have a white milky sap that stinks! As a kid my mother would smell me when I came home from playing and I had to go straight into the shower after stripping down in the garage. So when they moved in they cut all those trees down and stacked the wood against our adjoining fence. Termite heaven! They now burn that wood in a firepit. Yuck! It stinks

Some things are annoying, some things are just strange. Everyday brings a new head scratcher that we can't figure out.

Makes life interesting for sure.

2 doors down (next to the lonely mother/wife), this woman had invited me for tea in the past. A month ago I took my dog out to do his business and she came down accusing me of abusing my dog, telling me I had to take him to the groomer, telling me I had to come show her when I was done. She was crying and telling me he was abused. If I could post a picture, I would. He was a bichon and probably a month overdue for his shaving. I always have him shaved once a year and clip him at home but because of the pandemic, they weren't doing it and now overbooked. Not one other neighbor agrees with her. What she didn't know was he had been going to the vet due to severe pancreatitis and probably wouldn't make it but the way she was berating me, I didn't feel the need to tell her. I found out later that she stopped my fence neighbor telling him that I abuse my dog, that I was a liar (because I didn't take him to show her after his vet visit that she thought was a groomer visit). Then she asked him if he could do some work for her and he told her no, that he thought I was okay and I was not a dog abuser and for her to leave his property. The vet did not think I abused him and sadly he passed 2 weeks ago as the antibiotics didn't work. She also told one of the single ladies across the way. 3-4 weeks ago we had a major storm with high winds. Happened to be trash day. 6 am I am outside in the dark, pouring rain, high winds, lightening picking up my trash from down the street as the wind blew our trashcans over. My daughter wears diapers so wanted to make sure it was all picked up. When I mentioned how rough it was doing this at 6am during the storm, she pointed to 3 sheets of wipes that were in the middle of the street telling me, i missed some and that it made our street look junky. I have the large trashcan and had picked up the entire thing from the street and she points to 3 wipes that possibly were not mine as we don't use them. (others were out picking up some of their trash). So my lawn needs to be mowed. I just hired my across neighbor's lawn people. I'm sure she's rolling around that my yard needs mowing. But, my daughter has been in ICU 3 times since October so it's not high on my priority list. (it's not bad but could. use a mow)

**forgot to mention. 2 days after she berated me, the police showed up at my door to do a welfare check on my dog. He said that my dog was not abused. I was so mad, I had a bottle of his urine I was taking to the vet and held it up to the police officer and asked him if he wanted to drive it to the vet for me. This while my daughter was in ICU with multiple blood clots in her lungs. That is why my fence neighbor was mad.

Reading about your neighbor makes me angry. I am sorry for the loss of your dog and for having to deal with a meddling neighbor.

Your neighbor reminds me of my downstairs neighbor. We live in a high-rise apartment building, everyone needs to live with a certain level of noise from surrounding apartments. It's what we signed up for. This one older lady complains about everyone. She stands in front of apartments of people who she knows have dogs and then complains about the dogs barking. She then cries while saying that you are abusing your dog and should not be pet owners. If you try to explain that your dog would not be barking if she wasn't standing in front of the door, she cries louder. She will also run into the common garbage room to examine if boxes were broken down and garbage in the correct receptacles. She goes to the apartment owner and starts crying that she has to breakdown these boxes and she is old and sick. If you tell her she doesn't need to do that, again she cries harder. As per our building, we are allowed to leave smaller boxes (average Amazon type) in the room without breaking them down. Large ones should be broken down or brought downstairs to a porter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter