Annual Pass Irritation

DixieDolphin

Mouseketeer
Okay, I've been holding my tongue about this for far too long.. but I can't hold it in any longer!

What the heck is the deal with these flimsy, crappy paper annual pass things?!

Does anybody know when this started? I'd had my current SW/BG AP since 2003 (at a lovely $8/month at that!), but when I upgraded to add Aquatica... they took away my nice, sturdy plastic pass with photo id.. and gave me this flimsy piece-of-crap paper junk!

I'd been keeping my mouth shut, but I recently read on another forum that Universal has switched to paper-crap passes too (note to self: NEVER relinquish my current USF/IOA pass for one!) Has Disney switched over to this madness too?

Am I the only one irritated by this?

Disney also has the crappy paper pass. ALthough unlike Seaworld you can ask for a new pass if you lose it or it gets destroyed with no fee. I think it's stupid Seaworld, where you are more than likely going to get wet, charges a fee for replacements! I hate them as well. At least Six Flags gave you a plastic pass!

In Dec We had to get our passes replaced and I thought they would charge us, but they didn't. Maybe we just got lucky.

Disney was the first one to switch,I had my Busch Platinum pass changed to the paper one about 6 months ago,but I still have my Universal plastic one.I do prefer the plastic ones since they have your picture,but on the other hand never having to ever make an additional line to get your picture taken if you lose it or have to get another pass if it stops working is not bad.An example of that is when my AP didn't scan at Disney,apparently I got it too close to my cellphone or whatever,so the turnstile attendant calls a CM in a segway,grabs my pass and within 30 seconds or so I had a brand new pass,no new picture to take or other lines to make,so while I do like the plastic ones with pictures these have an advantage.Also Disney doesn't charge you anything if you lose it,while my dad lost his at Universal and had to pay $10.

Disney was the first one to switch,I had my Busch Platinum pass changed to the paper one about 6 months ago,but I still have my Universal plastic one.I do prefer the plastic ones since they have your picture,but on the other hand never having to ever make an additional line to get your picture taken if you lose it or have to get another pass if it stops working is not bad.An example of that is when my AP didn't scan at Disney,apparently I got it too close to my cellphone or whatever,so the turnstile attendant calls a CM in a segway,grabs my pass and within 30 seconds or so I had a brand new pass,no new picture to take or other lines to make,so while I do like the plastic ones with pictures these have an advantage.Also Disney doesn't charge you anything if you lose it,while my dad lost his at Universal and had to pay $10.

Yeah, I remember many years ago having a WDW pass with a picture, but they were the first to cheap out. I'm still hanging onto my Universal picture pass, even though it's at least 6 or 7 years old now--I get strange looks from the ticket takers now when I whip it out, I don't think some of them have ever seen one.

Yeah, I remember many years ago having a WDW pass with a picture, but they were the first to cheap out. I'm still hanging onto my Universal picture pass, even though it's at least 6 or 7 years old now--I get strange looks from the ticket takers now when I whip it out, I don't think some of them have ever seen one.
Yeah same here. When people see my Universal AP, they think I work there. :rotfl:

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who sees the stupidity in all this! Especially the /water/ aspect! How many Aquatica visits and Shamu Stadium splashes is this pass gonna stand up to before it disintegrates into a mushy pile of paper pulp?

Yeah same here. When people see my Universal AP, they think I work there. :rotfl:

You know, until recently I /did/ wonder why I get strange looks with my pass at the turnstiles. I never thought twice about it until I was given this crappy piece of paper from Sea World! Heh!

Well, with all this in mind... Uni can have my photo-id-plastic-pass when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers! :crazy2:

We got our SW passes about 18 months ago and they are paper. However, they came in a plastic zip-lock type of holder attached to a SW nylon necklace thing. We asked for them at the counter when we bought our passes. There was no extra charge.

I have had paper passes at all of the parks for years and not had a problem. Not one tear (and we use them ALOT LOL). The last time I had a plastic card type pass was Universal in 2005 I think.:confused3

What the heck is the deal with these flimsy, crappy paper annual pass things?!
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
Yeah, I've got one of the old UO APs and I dread losing it, which I almost certainly will at some point. Either that or it'll get to the point where that dashing, brown-haired guy in the photo doesn't match the gray-haired old geezer carrying it and they'll force me to ditch it.

As to the "new, improved" Passports, do you know this prayer?

"May the Lord grant me the courage to change the things I can, the serenity to bear the things I can't, and the wisdom to know the difference."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter