Annual pass replaced with Membership for DL and AP returning by October

I really think DVC is going to be what keeps them around, the love to sell their DVC resorts and with out APs for them they may end up in trouble with a mass selling of contracts, I know we can't justify our points if we have to pay for 1-3 day tickets every time since we mainly do weekend trips and would have to really think hard about when we go and probably just once a year. For out of state DVC the ability to get Gold passes is really a big selling point for them and why many buy the bare minimum direct to be able to buy them.
Exactly!

Good point. Does Disneyland have DVCs?

As the two previous posters noted, there are currently only a very small number of DVC units at the Grand Californian. However I'll add that they are getting ready to build a brand new 350 unit tower for DVC at the Disneyland Hotel which will significantly up the DVC presence at DL.

As the two previous posters noted, there are currently only a very small number of DVC units at the Grand Californian. However I'll add that they are getting ready to build a brand new 350 unit tower for DVC at the Disneyland Hotel which will significantly up the DVC presence at DL.
The main problem with Disneyland from the Disney Hotel perspective is there are so many non Disney Hotels literally right next to Disneyland so all the hotels are basically onsite hotels. They don't have that same advantage that they have on the WDW property.

Seems to me this indicates Annual Pass isn't coming back anytime soon:
Florida Resident Summer Fun Ticket
Visit 1 park per day or add an option to visit multiple parks per day and/or a water park or other Walt Disney World fun. Ticket valid through September 17, 2021. View Details

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/admission/tickets/fl-res-summer-fun-ticket-offer-for-fl-resident/

There has always been different Florida rate ticket deals, not as common for Florida though, and many Floridians don’t go to the parks in the summer.

I personally don’t see APs back till Oct 1st but I am betting more on Jan 2022, all the hotels will be open then also. AP sales will give a nice little boost in revenue and at this point this fiscal year is not thah good and ap sales isn’t gonna save it. Oct 1st new fiscal year so makes more sense to pack in everything then and have a super strong year after 2 crappy ones.

There has always been different Florida rate ticket deals, not as common for Florida though, and many Floridians don’t go to the parks in the summer.

I personally don’t see APs back till Oct 1st but I am betting more on Jan 2022, all the hotels will be open then also. AP sales will give a nice little boost in revenue and at this point this fiscal year is not thah good and ap sales isn’t gonna save it. Oct 1st new fiscal year so makes more sense to pack in everything then and have a super strong year after 2 crappy ones.
You are correct about discount ticket deals, but there always seems to be some kind of resident deal apart from Christmas break.

Technically they have not been gone for long in Florida they were still for sale earlier this year, I just hesitated and then they were gone. I guess the lack of the ability made people want them more.

You are correct about discount ticket deals, but there always seems to be some kind of resident deal apart from Christmas break.

Technically they have not been gone for long in Florida they were still for sale earlier this year, I just hesitated and then they were gone. I guess the lack of the ability made people want them more.

Prices are pretty insane.
Here's the prices for Embassy Suites I Drive Convention Center for the "low period", sept/oct/nov.
They are completely out of whack for that time period because everyone is travelling plus Disney 40.
In alot of cases they are more expensive than the summer which is already pretty expensive.

SEPT:

OCT:
NOV:

I really think DVC is going to be what keeps them around, the love to sell their DVC resorts and with out APs for them they may end up in trouble with a mass selling of contracts, I know we can't justify our points if we have to pay for 1-3 day tickets every time since we mainly do weekend trips and would have to really think hard about when we go and probably just once a year. For out of state DVC the ability to get Gold passes is really a big selling point for them and why many buy the bare minimum direct to be able to buy them.

Wonder what points would cost, if they ONLY sold AP's to DVC owners going forward.

I think the current direct price point would justify some of that. :duck:

Agreed. But I bet it would sell a lot of new and used contracts.

They would probably start converting more existing rooms as well.

One of the reasons we bought DVC was because we take 2/3 trips/year from Louisiana. The Gold AP option is great for us (Previously had. Platinum). We also use the AP discounts if we get a good deal for a few nights.

Yup same! We spend about 2.5 weeks a year total at WDW on our DVC points (likely more now that we are new Florida residents) with a Gold annual pass. I would absolutely sell most of my points if I couldn’t get an annual pass. Already spent more than $50,000 on membership. An extra $2000 a year on tickets would be out of the question.

I'm not advocating for this, but I could easily see a DVC direct/blue card only AP/Membership option being created. No necessarily a local+ option, but something geared towards DVC. They have to ensure direct remains more appealing than resale. The runDisney early registration is gone now as well so I'm sure they have some ideas on this.

I'm not advocating for this, but I could easily see a DVC direct/blue card only AP/Membership option being created. No necessarily a local+ option, but something geared towards DVC. They have to ensure direct remains more appealing than resale. The runDisney early registration is gone now as well so I'm sure they have some ideas on this.
I believe that's what they have currently. We were DVC resale members and ended up buying direct points for the blue card in 2019 mostly to get access to the Gold annual pass (which normally we could get as we do not live in Florida... it's quite a lot cheaper than the Platinum that we would have to buy without the blue DVC card). Without an AP or similar, DVC is certainly a lot less appealing. I suspect they will keep some type of pass for DVC members indefinitely.

Disney World has far, far more capacity than Disneyland making spendthrift Florida residents less of an issue.

The giant pile of money those APs bring in would be hard to turn away.

I really hope so. We are also Florida residents and DVC members. We usually go multiple times a year, but it doesn’t make alot of sense if without the annual pass.

I believe that's what they have currently. We were DVC resale members and ended up buying direct points for the blue card in 2019 mostly to get access to the Gold annual pass (which normally we could get as we do not live in Florida... it's quite a lot cheaper than the Platinum that we would have to buy without the blue DVC card). Without an AP or similar, DVC is certainly a lot less appealing. I suspect they will keep some type of pass for DVC members indefinitely.

People say Land and World are two totally different things and the locals in CA are what is causing crowd and revenue issues.

They are right that Land is a much bigger target but that's not to say World doesn't have the same problem(smaller) and that things will not continue to get worse(locals/overcrowding) as they do projections 5-10-20 years out.

The end game question is this: Can they get away with gutting AP's and creating a new membership rewards program(like Vegas) and still maintain healthy capacity in the parks? that is the only question that needs to be answered and I think the obvious answer is "Yes". I can't fathom, due solely to ticket prices/lack of AP, not seeing it crowded the same as it always is. Remember just how small Disney is relative to the huge draw not just for this entire country of 350 million people but internationally as well. To suggest they cant fill those parks is laughable by cutting off AP's. I am absolutely certain they have the internal data and projections to confirm that. There is essentially zero need for an AP incentive in 2021 and beyond. maybe 1980.

People say Land and World are two totally different things and the locals in CA are what is causing crowd and revenue issues.

They are right that Land is a much bigger target but that's not to say World doesn't have the same problem(smaller) and that things will not continue to get worse(locals/overcrowding) as they do projections 5-10-20 years out.

The end game question is this: Can they get away with gutting AP's and creating a new membership rewards program(like Vegas) and still maintain healthy capacity in the parks? that is the only question that needs to be answered and I think the obvious answer is "Yes". I can't fathom, due solely to ticket prices/lack of AP, not seeing it crowded the same as it always is. Remember just how small Disney is relative to the huge draw not just for this entire country of 350 million people but internationally as well. To suggest they cant fill those parks is laughable by cutting off AP's. I am absolutely certain they have the internal data and projections to confirm that. There is essentially zero need for an AP incentive in 2021 and beyond. maybe 1980.
Disney wants its parks filled to the brim at all times. Why? Because Disney also is a giant shopping center and food court. To sell lots of merchandise and fill every restaurant, you need a lot of people.

A full park also keeps guests there longer, spending money. If you can "do everything" in a half-day, you might go to the pool instead of the gift shop. You might stay 2 days at Disney instead of 3.

Annual passholders provide Disney with lots of upfront cash. They set the "floor" for the tickets Disney will sell to the masses. They help keep the parks busy, which makes it easier to charge more for tickets to non-AP holders.

If there is enough demand to pack Disneyworld 365 days a year, perhaps they will end the AP program, but I don't think were are there yet and it will be difficult to turn away the pile of AP money.

At what price point do you think the average person would no longer consider the AP as a viable option??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter