Annual pass replaced with Membership for DL and AP returning by October

People say Land and World are two totally different things and the locals in CA are what is causing crowd and revenue issues.

They are right that Land is a much bigger target but that's not to say World doesn't have the same problem(smaller) and that things will not continue to get worse(locals/overcrowding) as they do projections 5-10-20 years out.

The end game question is this: Can they get away with gutting AP's and creating a new membership rewards program(like Vegas) and still maintain healthy capacity in the parks? that is the only question that needs to be answered and I think the obvious answer is "Yes". I can't fathom, due solely to ticket prices/lack of AP, not seeing it crowded the same as it always is. Remember just how small Disney is relative to the huge draw not just for this entire country of 350 million people but internationally as well. To suggest they cant fill those parks is laughable by cutting off AP's. I am absolutely certain they have the internal data and projections to confirm that. There is essentially zero need for an AP incentive in 2021 and beyond. maybe 1980.
Not true.

An AP at $1200 and will probably rise to $1500, the break even point is around visiting 12 times.

Without the AP I doubt people visit more than 4-5 times in a year.

At what price point do you think the average person would no longer consider the AP as a viable option??
It's dependent on the price of a day ticket and the price of tickets and AP's at Universal but I think $1500 would be my limit and I would have to think twice about paying even that.

When we have an annual pass, we usually visit four times in year or so, generally two longer trips and a couple of short ones. We are Florida residents and usually buy the cheapest pass available or perhaps one tier up.

The annual pass includes park-hopping and free parking, making a good value if you visit a couple of times.

Some people buy passes thinking they will go and end up only going once. Some people buy them and only go a few times.

Of the people I know who go to Disney and are Florida residents, most are pretty much like us. They don't go as much as you think.

Of course, some people go a lot more.

Having an AP can "save" you money, but you can run up a big tab "saving" money.

Getting in the parks is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to spending. You may spend a few nights at a Disney resort, you will likely eat park food, you will buy some expensive beverages, you will see some merchandise you can't resist. It all adds up.

Another difference between an AP guest and a ticket buyer is when you have an AP it's easy to spend a half-day or just an evening at the parks. There is no pressure to "get your money worth" because you can just come back the next day or weekend. If the park is too crowded, you can just leave. No big deal.

So while a ticket-buying guest may spend more in one day, the AP guest may spend the same or more, just spread out over more days.

Another difference between an AP guest and a ticket buyer is when you have an AP it's easy to spend a half-day or just an evening at the parks. There is no pressure to "get your money worth" because you can just come back the next day or weekend. If the park is too crowded, you can just leave. No big deal.

This is the biggest thing for me. You can go to a park and do one or two things, then go to another park or back to your hotel. You don't feel trapped at one park and having the feeling of having to get your money's worth

This is the biggest thing for me. You can go to a park and do one or two things, then go to another park or back to your hotel. You don't feel trapped at one park and having the feeling of having to get your money's worth
Yes, it really is a completely different WDW experience when you have an AP.

At least from working for a major company, I know that the absolute biggest trend right now is data collection and using it to drive repeat customers. That doesn't seem like it'd be an issue for Disney, but it also wouldn't be an issue for the field I'm in, either. I work in beer for one of the big brands, so just based on what I'm seeing, some predictions for this "membership":

If they roll with a membership, so to speak, I can see them obviously including tiers. Either you pay for the tiers (think annual pass tiers), or you have a base payment or a base/then platinum price where you basically earn points toward stays, discounts on dining, discounts on your next stay, discounts on merch and all. Maybe you can even unlock room upgrades or FP+ selections.

If this happens, I think bounceback offers will end—instead, you'll earn points toward discounts on your next stay.
I think dining plan won't come back, since it'll complicate things even more. Instead, you can earn "free" meals or some sort of discount on food at restaurants.

I know, there's always going to be a demand for Disney, but Disney (and every other company) is sinking tons of money into data collection. They did it with the MagicBand and the MyMagic+. Doing a membership program will help them track how you spend, and by giving rewards for certain purchases, they can see what motivates each and every customer—so they can tailor trips and future offers just to you—which will in turn drive more people to purchase.

At least from working for a major company, I know that the absolute biggest trend right now is data collection and using it to drive repeat customers. That doesn't seem like it'd be an issue for Disney, but it also wouldn't be an issue for the field I'm in, either. I work in beer for one of the big brands, so just based on what I'm seeing, some predictions for this "membership":

If they roll with a membership, so to speak, I can see them obviously including tiers. Either you pay for the tiers (think annual pass tiers), or you have a base payment or a base/then platinum price where you basically earn points toward stays, discounts on dining, discounts on your next stay, discounts on merch and all. Maybe you can even unlock room upgrades or FP+ selections.

If this happens, I think bounceback offers will end—instead, you'll earn points toward discounts on your next stay.
I think dining plan won't come back, since it'll complicate things even more. Instead, you can earn "free" meals or some sort of discount on food at restaurants.

I know, there's always going to be a demand for Disney, but Disney (and every other company) is sinking tons of money into data collection. They did it with the MagicBand and the MyMagic+. Doing a membership program will help them track how you spend, and by giving rewards for certain purchases, they can see what motivates each and every customer—so they can tailor trips and future offers just to you—which will in turn drive more people to purchase.

DP was a colossal money maker. I am certain it will be back.

The move from MagicBands to the MagicMobile smartphone app means Disney could track you 24/7 everywhere you go and not just at WDW. Even more data to sift through.

I see them creating different tiers of this "membership"with one of the differentiators between tiers being how many open park reservations you can have at one time.

Exactly. Easy to overthink this, but at the end of the day it's gonna be a Disney-fied hotel honors system. At least that's what I hope.

I agree. Guessing it looks something like what Starbucks does. The more you spend, the more points you get to use for the future.

Since when was Disney catering to "normal" families. My dad worked at a factory when I grew up and there was 0.0% chance he was taking three kids down to Disneyworld. Closest we got was a tent at state park and this was 30 years ago.
its literally why the value resorts were built.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter