• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

annual pass sales??

Currently not selling any annual passes to anyone except maybe a lower tier Florida resident if they didn’t suspend that one also. No return date has been given unfortunately

I'm equally curious and know I'll know when they decide to tell us! But I just priced out what it would cost to buy tickets for the trips I have planned vs the annual pass. It was, uh, not a good comparison.

I know how you feel. I'm DVC and have 4 trips booked for later this year. If no AP sales I will probably cancel all but one and save the points for later. I'm not even going to bother doing the calculations because I know the numbers would skew to an AP.

It is absolutely unacceptable that as DVC members we cannot purchase annual passes!
Totally agree. I would encourage anyone thinking of buying DVC to realize that access to annual passes may not be possible and to factor that in when figuring out if it makes sense for them. We often travel several times a year for short weekend trips and without an AP, we can't really see the value in coming often for short trips. We might need to sell a couple of contracts and get to once a year if this persists.

It is disappointing. When they first launched the new APs, the DVC pass was very specific and it was not the highest level. We have always bought the Platinum Plus/highest level pass in the past because we like the extras and don't want to deal with blackouts (because we travel from Canada). So even when they announced the new passes, there was only one discounted option for DVC and it was a lower tier pass. So we didn't buy one. Now you can't buy any passes at all, so yes, on to our second visit now paying full rack rate for 8-day Park Hopper Plus passes. Really hoping they fix this fast because it is an issue. So often DVC members get treated as second class citizens. Once at Kidani Village I actually had a CM at the front desk tell me they needed to tend to "paying guests" first. I took that one to the hotel manager because that was beyond belief. But it illustrates the mentality for some at Disney about DVC.

Maybe it’s psych 101. Take away something people really want, and after enough time they will beg for it to come back and not care if it costs twice as much or is half as good- they just want it back. It’s what they did last year when they raised prices almost 40 percent on APs. Maybe we will see another huge hike.

We have been holding off. I keep cx'ing trips and rent off my points. no way no how I am setting foot in Florida without season passes. no way. I sold a ton of points over the past year. bought a very very nice custom built bass boat with the money. . . . so for me cx'ing trips and renting off points is no big deal and a win for me and my family. my kids really really miss it, but they are pretty psyched about the new boat and love seeing pics from the factory as its being built. they are really excited.

but back to it. I like how @lowlight said it above. i'm watching. . . always watching. . .

We have been holding off. I keep cx'ing trips and rent off my points. no way no how I am setting foot in Florida without season passes. no way. I sold a ton of points over the past year. bought a very very nice custom built bass boat with the money. . . . so for me cx'ing trips and renting off points is no big deal and a win for me and my family. my kids really really miss it, but they are pretty psyched about the new boat and love seeing pics from the factory as its being built. they are really excited.

but back to it. I like how @lowlight said it above. i'm watching. . . always watching. . .
Ha - I told DH if we sell the boat we can get more DVC points. Not happening, but it is how I was able to easily convince him to get DVC. Hey, you got your boat...so ..... lol.

Ha - I told DH if we sell the boat we can get more DVC points. Not happening, but it is how I was able to easily convince him to get DVC. Hey, you got your boat...so ..... lol.
lol my wife fishes too. . . so for both of us. lol. no more points for us. we got our 3 weeks a week and its perfect especially with how things are going. im glad we passed on another contract a couple years ago.

the hard cold reality is that Disney has no reason to sell APs when they have no trouble filling the parks with regular ticket holders. That day will come though - guessing the next recession at the latest
For now. Just wait for either the pent up demand to end due to pandemic or a change in the economy. There are reasons why they started to sell annual passes. It is amazing how fast people forget.

And, of course, the fact that you were able to rent points out to others, means someone still went to the park and bought tickets. So, Disney didn't lose. But hey, a new boat isn't a bad consolation prize.

I know as DVC owners we think we should be seen as an important guest, but in reality, we are just one small piece in the larger puzzle. The fact that they have limited FL residents is much more telling in why they don't want new AP's being sold, then the impact to DVC owners.

I had hoped they would be for sale by now, but maybe we will now see it prior to summer, once all the school breaks are over.

And, of course, the fact that you were able to rent points out to others, means someone still went to the park and bought tickets. So, Disney didn't lose. But hey, a new boat isn't a bad consolation prize.

I know as DVC owners we think we should be seen as an important guest, but in reality, we are just one small piece in the larger puzzle. The fact that they have limited FL residents is much more telling in why they don't want new AP's being sold, then the impact to DVC owners.

I had hoped they would be for sale by now, but maybe we will now see it prior to summer, once all the school breaks are over.

Disney is one of the few businesses that not only doesn't reward their most loyal customers, but actually came out on an earnings call and basically called them worthless. I know expecting loyalty from a corporation is silly, but most at least put on a facade. Even the cable company, who has a natural monopoly in half my state, pretends to care that I've been a customer for 20+ years and offers me the lower sign-on prices when they raise them yearly. It's a drastic culture shift at Disney HQ and it's definitely going to be written about in economics classes in the future- the only question is, will the lesson be titled, "Icarus- the rise and fall of Disney" or "Chapek: a lesson in how to choose profit over satisfaction and still grow"?

Disney is one of the few businesses that not only doesn't reward their most loyal customers, but actually came out on an earnings call and basically called them worthless. I know expecting loyalty from a corporation is silly, but most at least put on a facade. Even the cable company, who has a natural monopoly in half my state, pretends to care that I've been a customer for 20+ years and offers me the lower sign-on prices when they raise them yearly. It's a drastic culture shift at Disney HQ and it's definitely going to be written about in economics classes in the future- the only question is, will the lesson be titled, "Icarus- the rise and fall of Disney" or "Chapek: a lesson in how to choose profit over satisfaction and still grow"?

I know things have changed over the years with the changes in leadership. Except, my point was more that DVC owners are a very small part of the overall guest makeup and we are no more loyal than any other group out there. We may think we are, but in the scheme of things, we are not.

There are plenty of guests who visit as much, if not more, who remain cash guests and don't buy into DVC. They spend just as much, if not more, then we do. So, when TWDC makes decisions, I don't think they make any of them with any "specific" target audience in mind.

DVD, of course, wants to have as many extras to offer new buyers as possible so they can sell DVC...and as I said, I am sure they would love to be in charge of AP sales, but they are not. We shall see how things go, but so far, all the changes, the increase in prices, etc. have not impacted crowds to the level that people are not coming.

I know things have changed over the years with the changes in leadership. Except, my point was more that DVC owners are a very small part of the overall guest makeup and we are no more loyal than any other group out there. We may think we are, but in the scheme of things, we are not.

There are plenty of guests who visit as much, if not more, who remain cash guests and don't buy into DVC. They spend just as much, if not more, then we do. So, when TWDC makes decisions, I don't think they make any of them with any "specific" target audience in mind.

DVD, of course, wants to have as many extras to offer new buyers as possible so they can sell DVC...and as I said, I am sure they would love to be in charge of AP sales, but they are not. We shall see how things go, but so far, all the changes, the increase in prices, etc. have not impacted crowds to the level that people are not coming.
Disagree here ref DVC members loyalty, we have chosen to spend tens of thousands of dollars UPFRONT to guarentee that we come back for years if not decades. There are those that keep coming back (we returned yearly if not more often for 25 years even before DVC) and probably do spend more money but the only guarentee of their loyalty for the company is for the trip that they have currently paid for as there is no "skin in the game" to ensure their annual return ..... if we are simply a drop in the bucket in the big scheme of things that makes it all the more infuriating that we, if noone else, aren't offered annual passes or in their absence at least discounted tickets.

Agree with your post here. We've been DVC for almost 30 years now, and I'll never understand why DVC folks feel entitled to things over other guests. There are many groups of people missing out on the option of an annual pass. DVC is a timeshare and guarantees me the opportunity for some incredibly nice rooms. If I have to pay extra for tickets, I have to pay extra for tickets - not ideal, but I'm in the same boat as non-DVC guests. Except for one big difference - my rooms are included in my ownership/dues, while those other folks might be paying $300/$400/$600 cash a night for rooms. I hope APs do return for all guests, certainly not just DVCers. I know how the AP is a huge benefit to DVC guests who stay a couple times per year. But the reason it's such a huge benefit is because it allows us to spend less money (else we wouldn't buy them!)!! DVC members with APs have to be on the lower end of the spending.

Agree with your post here. We've been DVC for almost 30 years now, and I'll never understand why DVC folks feel entitled to things over other guests. There are many groups of people missing out on the option of an annual pass. DVC is a timeshare and guarantees me the opportunity for some incredibly nice rooms. If I have to pay extra for tickets, I have to pay extra for tickets - not ideal, but I'm in the same boat as non-DVC guests. Except for one big difference - my rooms are included in my ownership/dues, while those other folks might be paying $300/$400/$600 cash a night for rooms. I hope APs do return for all guests, certainly not just DVCers. I know how the AP is a huge benefit to DVC guests who stay a couple times per year. But the reason it's such a huge benefit is because it allows us to spend less money (else we wouldn't buy them!)!! DVC members with APs have to be on the lower end of the spending.
You paid for your rooms years/decades ahead of time, this makes it sound like you get your rooms for free. We do deserve more than the average guest for that upfront confidence and loyalty. To be honest we have spent MORE money on our trips since renting/owning DVC because the rooms are paid upfront rather than in the moment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter