Annual pass

mbh106

Mouseketeer
I have read about one person in a family buying an annual pass for the resort and other discounts. Is that "allowed" by Disney and would the rest of the family with regular park tickets be able to get the benefits using their linked magic band, such as photopass? Are there any issues that could arise or negatives to doing this?

No, as long as the person with the AP is part of the group. This includes parking, retail discounts, dining, etc.

Although I would suggest you run the numbers and make sure the annual pass is the best way to go. I would not buy one for the discounts, there are not always room discounts offered and not always at the time you might want to go. The discounts for merchandise are nice but that is most likely not going to save you the extra amount for the annual pass. Conventional wisdom is that if you plan on going for 10 days or longer during the course of one year (from the date you activate the pass) then the pass makes sense. I would just do a comparison on ticket prices and not factor in anything else.

I agree with PPs. I visit 4 ish times a year for about a week each thus, the price alone makes it worth it for me. Add on parking and it certainly makes it a good value. I view the discounts as a bonus.

The parking and the photo pass can really be a game changer when it comes to an AP now. Especially if you get it for just 1 but use it for a group

The parking and the photo pass can really be a game changer when it comes to an AP now. Especially if you get it for just 1 but use it for a group
I am glad to see you mention PhotoPass/Memory Maker (whatever they want to brand it as this week). I think this is a real value add over Disney Quest when it shuts down. I would rather have digital memories of my trip than the ability to go in DQ where run down seems to be the theme.

We won't have a car, so parking isn't a factor, and we are planning on getting 10 day park hoppers for the 5 of us. I don't know if we will be coming back within a year, so it doesn't seem like AP's for the whole family would make sense. We are waiting for summer discounts to be released, but when they are I figured I would check AP discounts as well to improve our chances of getting the best rate at our preferred resort, since we are limited by rooms that sleep 5. If that works out, I could just get an AP for myself for the room discount and link the other 10 day tickets to my account then, right? And I'm not familiar with how the new photo pass/memory maker works, but would photos that my kids take on rides still be on my photo pass account even if I don't ride with them?

And I'm not familiar with how the new photo pass/memory maker works, but would photos that my kids take on rides still be on my photo pass account even if I don't ride with them?
Yes they would be

Thanks! Is there a specific day of the week/time of day that promotions are released?

For me, the biggest plus for the AP is parking. Since that isn't something you will be taking advantage of, it will be a little harder to justify the expense. But when you're figuring things out, also keep in mind that the AP will get you merchandise discounts almost everywhere in the parks, as well as some restaurant discounts, among other things. Another plus is that if you are staying without a dining plan, possession of the AP gives you the ability to purchase Tables in Wonderland, which you can certainly use for all 5 of you, even though only you have the AP. With 5 of you, it would pay itself off pretty quickly after just a few table service meals.

Is there a way to buy an Annual Pass but not have it activated and still use it to get discounts for a room on the first trip I go on with it?

I'm looking to do a solo trip in August but was wondering if I can use AP discounts for that before actually "activating" an AP

Yes. You can buy it for the room discounts. You won't activate until you arrive at Disney. We have enjoyed our annual passes. This is our first year. Plus you can get exclusive pass holder merchandise like pins or T-shirts.

Is there a way to buy an Annual Pass but not have it activated and still use it to get discounts for a room on the first trip I go on with it?

You can BOOK an AP room without owning an AP. You don't even need to buy the AP until you get to WDW.

HOWEVER, with the advent of FP+, you DO need to purchase your park tickets (an AP will work) in advance of your trip in order to book FP+ in advance.

So, yes, buying an AP in advance would be the way to go, (you can book FP+ just by ordering an AP) and the AP would not need to actually be activated (begin it's year of validity) until you get to WDW.

The difference in price between a 10 park hopper and a platinum pass is 180 dollars, the cost of memory maker. Then you also get discounts. I do have a question, you say you won't visit again within a year- do you visit about the same time every year? Because, if so, you could schedule next year's vacation 10 days earlier, and have 2 yearly vacations for the price of one annual pass. This is what we used to do, and only buy an annual pass every other year.

Conventional wisdom is that if you plan on going for 10 days or longer during the course of one year (from the date you activate the pass) then the pass makes sense

I have been reading lots of post about AP that say that the clock doesnt start ticking until you activate the AP. My doubt is, does the card that they give you to activate the AP has an expiration time or can I just buy it, let say, today and activate it next year on september.

...My doubt is, does the card that they give you to activate the AP has an expiration time or can I just buy it, let say, today and activate it next year on september.

Yes, you can do that. I think I read they may be starting to enforce a ticket activation expiration, but its a long way off...like 10 years. But next September...no problem.

The difference in price between a 10 park hopper and a platinum pass is 180 dollars, the cost of memory maker. Then you also get discounts. I do have a question, you say you won't visit again within a year- do you visit about the same time every year? Because, if so, you could schedule next year's vacation 10 days earlier, and have 2 yearly vacations for the price of one annual pass. This is what we used to do, and only buy an annual pass every other year.

We did this a couple years ago. Went in May and planned a trip for the following April using APs for the family. But then since we already had the APs I ended up taking my oldest down for a few days in the fall as well. We definitely got our moneys worth.

If you stay off site and go on long trips or multiple times a year, it could be worth it. But if you are there that many days, then it would stand to reason that everyone would want an AP. The biggest potential money saver would be from hotel discounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter