• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Annual Pass?

shanelle3

Earning My Ears
Looking for advice.

DVC (resale) members. We typically go to Disney around MLK Day in January, though with my kiddo in Middle School now, that’s getting harder.

I was pricing out 5-day park hoppers for Jan 2025 and wow, prices have gone up (we were last there in 2023). I looked at an Incredi-Pass, and it’s about 2x the price. We’re not likely to get much value out of the parking (we don’t bring a car), Dining (we eat 90% counter service), or Merch (we spend $50-$150 on merch in a typical trip) discounts.

Meanwhile, I started a new job that gives me 12/25 - 1/1 off. Due to some other scheduling quirks, I’ll be off until 1/5 in 2026.

I am tempted to buy an AP, activate January 2025 during MLK week as planned, go again either for Spring Break or June, and take a third/final trip ~12/27-1/3. We’d use DVC points for the first and last trip, but (probably) not for the middle one (meaning we’d stay offsite).

Benefits for us are: an extra trip while still using the same amount vacation time from work, kiddo doesn’t miss school, and we finally get to see the Holiday magic at Disney, no sticker shock on 2026 ticket prices (our “2026” trip will be Dec 2025/early Jan 2026).

Negatives: crowds, Genie+ more expensive, crowds

I’ll also mention that we’re night people. We typically can’t make rope drop, but we can stay late… which could work out when the parks are open past midnight.

Anything I’m missing? Tips, Suggestions? Would you do it?

Thoughts on Spring Break (week of 3/24/25) vs June? We lean towards Spring Break, despite the crowds, because 1) The weather in March can be miserable here, and we’d like a break, 2) The weather in June can be miserable in Florida, 3) The weather is generally wonderful here and there are usually a lot of fun local events, and 4) We do a couple of local trips every summer, and adding an out of state trip usually makes the whole summer a bit chaotic/overwhelming. But I could be convinced otherwise.

Thank you!!!

Last edited:
It's hard for me, as an AP owner for many, many years, to advise you to do otherwise, LOL! Don't forget there may be AP hotel discounts for that middle trip that may make staying onsite affordable. The problem with an AP (if you would define it as a problem) is I am always planning more trips to "justify" the cost. If you are planning two trips anyway, I would say give it a try and re-assess once the year is over. Also, I, personally would go March over June even with the crowds. June, for me, is unbearably hot. I typically do my trips between October - May and plan the trips around holidays and EP festivals I enjoy.

We've had AP's since the 80's. Yes, we are old!!! One of the dangers of having an AP and DVC is that all of a sudden trips to WDW become "cheap" since parks and room are already paid for. Next thing you know you're going 3 times a year. Then 4 times a year. Then 6 times a year.

I am in a very similar situation as you and I ended up biting the bullet last June and bought my first AP. With the two trips I have taken with the family since then we have already "saved" money (hotel discounts, length of stay, etc). As the post stated above, I am already starting to look at "I can sneak down for a weekend" trips!

I purchased my Pixie Dust AP this past January after a 5-year hiatus from the parks. Since I'm local for about 20 years, there just wasn't enough new attractions to want me to go back. I didn't want to go to the parks just for the sake of going. I already used my AP enough times to have already paid for itself and don't regret waiting on my re-purchase (we used to be regular AP holders to both WDW and UOR).

For us, we used this extended time away to do DVC resort only staycations. And that really worked for us.

I agree with buying the APs and going in March vs. June. Having DVC and APs is the best combination for going during busy times, because you know you’ll be back if you miss something. You can concentrate on new experiences and your favorites, and anything else is gravy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter