• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Annual Passes - Am I going crazy?

StacyStrong

DIS Veteran
I am not sure if this should go in the budget section or here because it's ticket purchase related. Mods, please feel free to move without comment if this is in the wrong area. Apologies in advance!

Every now and then I will google something like "Are Disney AP's worth the price" and get some general answer that you need to go for 11-12 days to make the upgrade "worth" the price. I feel like that's not necessarily true at all?

For me specifically, I feel like just 9* park days would make it worth it! Can you all take a look at my math/reasoning and let me know if I am going crazy/should upgrade?

I am going to Disney later this year and currently have 6 day park hoppers valued at $480. Selecting more days would be useless because I can only get into the parks for 6 days and tickets expire after 14 days of activation. Therefore $480 is the best value I can get on my tickets.

Next year, I would be looking to plan another trip (before an AP would expire if I were to upgrade December 2018). The minimum park days I would be able to go is 3 days with another max of 6. There isn't a situation where I could go for 10 continuous days. If I went for 3 park days, it would cost me an additional $370. If I went for 6, it would again cost me $480 (ignoring any pricing increases).

So if I were to pay for tickets separately and not upgrade (assuming a minimum night stay of three days for me) it would cost $480 + $370 = $850 (which is the cost of an AP). Therefore, wouldn't I "break even" at 9 days since there is no chance of me going for a continuous period totaling that time? If I were to go again for 6 days, ($480 + $480 = 960) I would save $110 (960-850). In my mind, the only way I would "lose" money is if I went for less than 3 days on my second trip. This isn't even including AP discounts on food/merchandise.

What am I missing? Why does everyone assume that you need to go SO often to get the "value" of an AP? Am I thinking about this all wrong? I almost feel like if I didn't sit here and do the math, I would have ended up wasting so much more money! Please let me know if I am going crazy. Math isn't my forte lol.

If you are taking two trips in the year, the AP is worth it even with the smaller number of days. I did that and it made sense especially with the photo pass downloads. I was going to need a 5 day hopper and then a 3 day hopper, so I bought the AP. I don't remember the math, but it did make sense.

If you are taking two trips in the year, the AP is worth it even with the smaller number of days. I did that and it made sense especially with the photo pass downloads. I was going to need a 5 day hopper and then a 3 day hopper, so I bought the AP. I don't remember the math, but it did make sense.

Ha, so I'm not going nuts.

I almost talked myself out of it because I kept seeing things saying that you need to go for 11 or 12 days for you to even break even.

Ha, so I'm not going nuts.

I almost talked myself out of it because I kept seeing things saying that you need to go for 11 or 12 days for you to even break even.

In a single trip, the 11 or 12 day rule holds if you’re buying park hoppers since you max out at 10 days and then are stuck buying a one or two day ticket at a higher per day cost for the final day or two. If you’re doing multiple smaller trips in a year, it takes a lot fewer days for an AP to potentially be a better value since the fewer days you go, the more expensive the per day cost of the ticket. It also depends if you stay on-site or not and drive in. With an AP, you can stay off-site and still drive to the parks and avoid paying that $22 theme park parking fee.

The math for when an AP is of greater value than straight park tickets is highly dependent on how many trips you’re doing and how long each one is. Don’t forget, they’re scheduled to introduce variable ticket pricing for multi day tickets later this year too, so for 2019, the three day ticket you’re considering could be markedly more expensive or even less (I doubt Disney would do that but I guess it’s a possibility) than the currently listed three day ticket price.

I've been thinking about an AP too, and the math sort of makes sense, with a few considerations:
1. Were you planning to purchase the Hopper Plus pass for either trip to visit water parks? My DH loooves the water parks (more than the regular parks). So, we would need to buy the more expensive pass.

2. Were you planning to purchase Memory Maker? In this case, it's easier to break even with an AP.

3. Are you definitely going a second time within one year? There is some amount of risk in basically pre-purchasing your second trip's tickets by getting the AP. It's basically like getting a second set of tickets at a discount.

I want to add. I think the price was almost even, but saving on buying memory maker pushed it over the edge. I have not saved a ton on food/merchandise discounts, but YMMV on that. But I did end up booking a third trip because I already had tickets, so I did end up losing money. Lol.
hahaha yes this is true.

But I already knew I would be going at least once next year for the princess halF

Last edited:
I've been thinking about an AP too, and the math sort of makes sense, with a few considerations:
1. Were you planning to purchase the Hopper Plus pass for either trip to visit water parks? My DH loooves the water parks (more than the regular parks). So, we would need to buy the more expensive pass.

2. Were you planning to purchase Memory Maker? In this case, it's easier to break even with an AP.

3. Are you definitely going a second time within one year? There is some amount of risk in basically pre-purchasing your second trip's tickets by getting the AP. It's basically like getting a second set of tickets at a discount.
No to water parks.

No, but I love the added benefit!

Yes!!! Princess half marathon in February and then *maybe* one other trip. But likely a yes.

Is it true that renewing is cheaper than the initial buy? Haven't looked at that yet.

The renewal saves money if you plan on using it immediately. If you aren't using it for a month or two down the road, sometimes you are better off just letting it expire and getting a new one since your expiration day starts with your renewal date not the date you actually use it.

I've been getting one for about 4 years now but there was 3 months between when mine expired and my next trip so I bought discount tickets with UT and upgraded to the AP. I only saved about $35 or so technically but my expiration date moved to a year from the new pass.

It's just a matter of math for me, I don't factor in parking at parks since I stay on site, I don't factor in discounts since rarely is the AP discount better than I can get with the general discount stacked with an Orbitz discount. I seem to shop at places that don't give the AP discount like masks in Italy and even more rare is the food discount available for us. We were there last week, ate at TS 4 out of 5 nights and only one place was eligible for the AP discount.

If you stay off-site, remember that with the AP you get free parking as well. That saves $22 a day. Go for 6 days and that saves $132 just on parking

Just wanted to say that you're doing this the right way! So many people on here just use the "10" or "11" day rule and never calculate what they would've actually spent on tickets compared to the AP price.

Having that AP in your wallet is such a fun feeling too. Like you have this secret power to enter the parks anytime, even if you don't live close by. Have a really great set of trips... and beware (or enjoy) the itch that might get you to book another quick getaway or two in between. : )

photo pass downloads
This is what? $169 value (per trip)
But I did end up booking a third trip because I already had tickets, so I did end up losing money. Lol.
and beware (or enjoy) the itch that might get you to book another quick getaway or two in between. : )
Aaaand therein lies the problem :rolleyes1. It is so much easier to give into impulse for a quick trip when tickets are already paid for! Have 2 "extra" trips already just because...Taking the oldest to Florida for her summer internship (at disney :)) on Thursday, and going to pop into Epcot just because I already have entrance paid for (well and I love Flower & Garden).

I found you have a different attitude about touring when you have an AP as well-I knew there would be another trip so I was able to relax and just enjoy being there vs feeling like I needed to "get my money's worth" of regular tickets.

The break even point for two trips seems to be nine days even before your factor in free parking, memory maker and discounts on merchandise and rooms.

This is considering that you were going to get the park hopper anyway. If you were not planning on the PH or memory maker, you would break even after 15 total days in the park (10 day plus 5 day or 6 day plus 8 day =$840).

An AP is generally a good idea if you are making multiple trips or have 1 10+ day trip. We do multiple trips a year. Most are 3 day weekend trips, a few are 4-5 day trips. So, the benefit is certainly there. I suggest to anyone buying an AP the first time to go find the biggest discount ticket at some of the ticket brokers. Youll rarely if ever find anything more than 65 bucks below gate price. But, you buy at that price, then go to guest services after you arrive and just upgrade to an AP. Its called bridging. Youll get the gate price for the pass you have and in essence get a discount, however minimal, off an AP. Then when you renew each year its usually 100-150 cheaper than list price to buy a new one. While the benefits to an AP holder have certainly declined and it seems WDW doesnt value the AP holders like they used to, the overall benefit on park admission and parking fees at the parks, along with the memory maker added in, is worth it on its own. Lately, at least last year and this year, the number of rooms on AP discounts seems to have declined, as have the discounts. The AP discount on merchandise covers taxes, and the small discount at some resstaurants covers taxes. The benefit there is with an AP you can buy TIW if you eat on property a lot and that gives a great discount on food AND alcohol at participating locations. And the list is pretty darn good.

Ya I always do hoppers. I'm excited for the AP.

I wonder what the break even point is for the TIW. We exclusively eat on-site, but don't live in the area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter