• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Annual Passes Resume April 13 (DVC) April 20 (General Public)

How many park visits before you break even on the most expensive pass? My preferred pass would be the Pirate Pass but I don't qualify....the next best option would be the DVC one but I have resale....not sure going to the all inclusive one is really worth it.
It really just depends when you plan on visiting and how many days in one trip. My wife and I are visiting in May of this year, we will be there for 6 days (only had 3 park hopper days booked) and are going back in January for 6 or 7 days. So we figured now we have the option to go to the parks every day on our trips and if we take a quick 2-3 day trip before it expires it is more than paid for. Plus we would have gotten memory maker for our family trip so that saved $70 plus we got pictures for our adult trip in a couple weeks
We used discounted gift cards so we spent about $1900 extra to upgrade our 3 day park hoppers to annual passes. Our trip in January would have been around $1500. So basically for $500 more total (w/photo pass) we got; option to go into the parks every day of both trips, photopass for both trips, & the option to take a small trip. Seemed worth it to us. We are DVC members and have companion pass with Southwest so that factored in big time

Two computers in queue since 10:00, not quite 50% through the queue. Got though on the phone and twice my credit card was declined. Called the credit card company (Disney visa) and they tell me that they have not declined any charges and that the credit card has had no attempts at charges today. CC rep said Disney system is so busy that payment requests are not getting out of the Disney system. Got through on the phone a second time, same thing. Transferred me to ticket services. On hold so far over an hour. Gave up for now.
Any chance you can pay with a debit card or another card?

The last couple years I’ve had more payment processing issues with Disney than any company. Particularly prone to the issues were my Visa cards and Chase was the worst of those as I had it happen at Disney Store online and in person with Chase. Disney says card denied, denied, issuer says we never even saw an attempt- the circle did not end for me until I switched up my card. And even then once in person at a Disney hotel I had a Cap1 Visa denied after the Chase Visa with Cap1 also claiming they never even saw an attempt to charge. Thankfully I had an Amex with me.

How many park visits before you break even on the most expensive pass? My preferred pass would be the Pirate Pass but I don't qualify....the next best option would be the DVC one but I have resale....not sure going to the all inclusive one is really worth it.
Due to the variable nature of Disney ticket pricing you need to run your own math. List the approx dates you would go, look up the ticket prices, add it up and compare to AP price.

Due to the variable nature of Disney ticket pricing you need to run your own math. List the approx dates you would go, look up the ticket prices, add it up and compare to AP price.
Not just that but consider if you would get hopper on day tickets if you were to buy those. But, correct me if I'm wrong but the lowest a day ticket could be is $109, so at most you're looking at ~14 days to break even

I upgraded my UT tickets that I've been using this week to the incredi. I'm actually here now, had 2 days left on the tickets, park hoppers. I'm staying at Dolphin so I just walked my little self down to IG at Epcot I got there around 8:25. There was already a line but it was only about 4 deep. Took me all of 6 min. Told the CM I wanted to upgrade she told me how much it was going to be, which ended up being less than a 7 day hopper, to upgrade. She upgraded them, gave me my shiny AP card. She did tell me if I wanted to get the discount at the stores I would need Google Pay. I haven't tried it yet but I don't have Google Pay and would rather not add it, just one more thing out there with my credit card # on it.

Actually, after I upgraded I got a fraud alert message from my CC for something like $32. I called them and there was that charge and another one for $2. Told them nope not me. They wanted to cancel the card and send me another one but I don't have my other card with me. I do have my ATM card but I'm not sure I have enough in that checking account to cover resort expenses plus anything else. I don't have the ability to transfer funds from one checking account to another since they are at different banks. I got in touch with hubby at home and he sent me the number of the other account via a super secret email account I have. It's never easy.

I upgraded my UT tickets that I've been using this week to the incredi. I'm actually here now, had 2 days left on the tickets, park hoppers. I'm staying at Dolphin so I just walked my little self down to IG at Epcot I got there around 8:25. There was already a line but it was only about 4 deep. Took me all of 6 min. Told the CM I wanted to upgrade she told me how much it was going to be, which ended up being less than a 7 day hopper, to upgrade. She upgraded them, gave me my shiny AP card. She did tell me if I wanted to get the discount at the stores I would need Google Pay. I haven't tried it yet but I don't have Google Pay and would rather not add it, just one more thing out there with my credit card # on it.

Actually, after I upgraded I got a fraud alert message from my CC for something like $32. I called them and there was that charge and another one for $2. Told them nope not me. They wanted to cancel the card and send me another one but I don't have my other card with me. I do have my ATM card but I'm not sure I have enough in that checking account to cover resort expenses plus anything else. I don't have the ability to transfer funds from one checking account to another since they are at different banks. I got in touch with hubby at home and he sent me the number of the other account via a super secret email account I have. It's never easy.
Oh yeah, I got a fraud alert text while I was doing mine over the phone. After a slight panic that it was gonna mess everything up I was able to text them and say it was fine and got it through. I think the combination of Amazon Japan and then suddenly $4000 looked a little suspicious.

🤦🏻‍♀️ You don’t need Google Pay for discounts. Sometimes you have to show the AP in MDE to prove it’s still active.

It really just depends when you plan on visiting and how many days in one trip. My wife and I are visiting in May of this year, we will be there for 6 days (only had 3 park hopper days booked) and are going back in January for 6 or 7 days. So we figured now we have the option to go to the parks every day on our trips and if we take a quick 2-3 day trip before it expires it is more than paid for. Plus we would have gotten memory maker for our family trip so that saved $70 plus we got pictures for our adult trip in a couple weeks
We used discounted gift cards so we spent about $1900 extra to upgrade our 3 day park hoppers to annual passes. Our trip in January would have been around $1500. So basically for $500 more total (w/photo pass) we got; option to go into the parks every day of both trips, photopass for both trips, & the option to take a small trip. Seemed worth it to us. We are DVC members and have companion pass with Southwest so that factored in big time
We just booked a two day stay at the Boardwalk Aug 1st-3rd!

Told the CM I wanted to upgrade she told me how much it was going to be, which ended up being less than a 7 day hopper, to upgrade. She upgraded them, gave me my shiny AP card. She did tell me if I wanted to get the discount at the stores I would need Google Pay. I haven't tried it yet but I don't have Google Pay and would rather not add it, just one more thing out there with my credit card # on it.

@loves to dive I'm totally ignorant...why would we need Google Pay to access an AP discount? How does that work? I purchased APs for the first time last week through the DVC sale, and I don't have Google Pay. Like you, don't want Google Pay. Why would this be necessary to get AP discounts? Any info you have about this would be fantastic. We'll be down in the fall to activate our APs for the first time, and I'm curious about this.

Thank you!

Any chance you can pay with a debit card or another card?

The last couple years I’ve had more payment processing issues with Disney than any company. Particularly prone to the issues were my Visa cards and Chase was the worst of those as I had it happen at Disney Store online and in person with Chase. Disney says card denied, denied, issuer says we never even saw an attempt- the circle did not end for me until I switched up my card. And even then once in person at a Disney hotel I had a Cap1 Visa denied after the Chase Visa with Cap1 also claiming they never even saw an attempt to charge. Thankfully I had an Amex with me.
I could try with other cards, but I then give up the double points for purchases from Disney. If they can't get their system to work, I guess I will spend my money elsewhere.

She did tell me if I wanted to get the discount at the stores I would need Google Pay.

This is only true for DVC. DVC members do not receive physical cards anymore and must use MobileMagic Pass (Apple Wallet or Google Pay).

Annual Passholders can still use their AP card and ID just fine for discounts. They can also use MobileMagic Pass.

This is a good reminder. We normally purchase 7 or 8 day tickets with PH+ and even if we went twice in the year they're valid, we would just break even. It would also require us to change the dates of our trip next year to put it within the 365 day window and for our family, it's just not worth it. Yes there are other discounts but not enough to justify me trying to find over $4,400CDN right now to pay for 2 passes.

For those who go for more, shorter visits in a year or, during peak prices, the benefit is higher. But, longer, off-peak trips require running the math to determine best option for your family.

@loves to dive I'm totally ignorant...why would we need Google Pay to access an AP discount? How does that work? I purchased APs for the first time last week through the DVC sale, and I don't have Google Pay. Like you, don't want Google Pay. Why would this be necessary to get AP discounts? Any info you have about this would be fantastic. We'll be down in the fall to activate our APs for the first time, and I'm curious about this.

Thank you!
It's more Google Wallet, you can store your AP in your wallet and show it at retail and restaurants to get discounts.

Several places no long accept the physical cards, if you even still get one.

This is only true for DVC.

AP card and ID work just fine for discounts. There is also the option to generate MobileMagic Pass on Apple Wallet or Google Pay.
Yeah, and tbh from past experience they are inconsistent with checking. Rarely did I have to show ID, sometimes they would just apply it after seeing the slider on my MB. Though I'm not sure if they are stricter now thanks to the merch resellers. I had a MagicMobile in my Apple Wallet just in case.

They told me on the phone that I can pick up my physical card at Guest Relations. I still have the old style so I definitely will.

Yeah, and tbh from past experience they are inconsistent with checking. Rarely did I have to show ID, sometimes they would just apply it after seeing the slider on my MB. Though I'm not sure if they are stricter now thanks to the merch resellers. I had a MagicMobile in my Apple Wallet just in case.

They told me on the phone that I can pick up my physical card at Guest Relations. I still have the old style so I definitely will.

Right. When the newer blue 50th AP card came out, they were like, nah, we know you’re good. I still take out my ID anyway.

I also wonder if they will go back to the old yellow/orange card now that the 50th is over..or until they run out.

Not just that but consider if you would get hopper on day tickets if you were to buy those. But, correct me if I'm wrong but the lowest a day ticket could be is $109, so at most you're looking at ~14 days to break even
I hate not having hooper
Park hopper is $60-$80 a day for $169
Roughly break even after 8 days on single tickets.

For 5 to 10 day park hopper becomes cheaper. So not sure what break down is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter