Annual passes years ago

PigletsPal2

Queen of the Realm
Does anyone remember when annual passes came out? I seem to remember having them in 1973-75 time frame and an adult's cost $100 an a kid's cost $50. Am I crazy?

In the early 90's I was living down there and the Company I worked for and Disney had a business relationship so I was able to buy a discounted AP ...it was under $200 if I recall.

Really $100 in 1973? That was an outrageous amount back then. that is like $5,000 today.

Really $100 in 1973? That was an outrageous amount back then. that is like $5,000 today.
No. Adjusted for inflation, $100 in 1982 is equal to $277 in 2021. Annual inflation over this period was 2.65%
https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=1&year=1982
Or, from another site:
$100 in 1982 has the same purchasing power as $284.26 today. Over the 39 years this is a change of $184.26.
The average inflation rate of the dollar between 1982 and 2021 was 2.81% per year.
https://studyfinance.com/inflation/us/1982/100/

I remember when we were looking at timeshare in the late 90's and annual passes were part of the deal, or something similar to annual passes. Good times...

I remember when we were looking at timeshare in the late 90's and annual passes were part of the deal, or something similar to annual passes. Good times...
Originally DVC owners got a number of free tickets, number dependant on amount of points I think it was.

Thanks for all the info. I guess I dreamed it. But one-day tickets probably weren't that expensive because every time my daughter had a school holiday, we were off to Disney World.

I also remember when we vacationed here from Maryland, a friend of mine would give us a huge stack of A-E tickets. Her son and daughter-in-law both worked for Disney and got the ticket books in their pay packets.

We started in about 1991, I think it was around $150 including parking. Then there was a period in the early 90s that included VIP parking so you could park right at the gate. Those were the days, we would go weekly just to see the Beauty and the Beast show

Wow I never knew they were out that early. I don't know the price in '93 as i bought into DVC and they were free :) til '2000

Our AP/TiW History

NOTE: All the AP costs below reflect one person only.

1st) 1991. $180 15 park days at $11.00 per day. Used also for Parking savings

2nd) 2010 (DVC). $414 19 park days at $21.57 per day. TiW ($75) all-in savings $160.

3rd) 2012 (DVC PAP AP Special Offer). $425 25 park days at $16.83 per day. PAP WP 3 times and DQ once for an additional value of $223. TiW ($100) all-in savings $235.

As part of our pre-retirement plan (we retired in 2015):

a) 2011 purchased 4 DVC AP vouchers at $447 each.

b) 2013 purchased 2 - 10 NE+ tickets for $672 each. We’ve gotten 4 short trips out of the NE+ tics so far, and have 4 Park days and 9 ‘Plus Experiences’ remaining (WP/MG). Once all used up, it would equate to $33.26 per Park/Plus Experience. (side note: Really wish we had purchased 2 or 3 sets of NE tickets.)

4th) 2019 - activated one set of our 2011 DVC AP’s. $447. Disney converted the old DVC AP vouchers to an ‘equivalent’ Platinum Pass (introduced in 2015) including MM. The original DVC AP vouchers did not include MM, so that was a WIN. With the extended Covid period, we were able to log in 31 park days at $14.42 per day. TiW ($150) all-in savings $407.

Future:

2022-2023 (Sorcerers AP). $958 Plan 21 park days at $45/day. No TiW available (yet)

2024-2025 (DVC AP Voucher from 2011). $447 Planned 31 park days at $14.88.

Expect all out tickets to be used up by late 2027. We bought 3 park tics for our Jan 2022 trip and were sticker shocked compared to our previous cost history.

Originally DVC owners got a number of free tickets, number dependant on amount of points I think it was.

I am trying to remember the exact phrasing, but think the number of tickets was based on the unit size. Two for a studio or 1 bedroom, maybe four for a two bedroom? So perhaps it was stated as two per bedroom?

I lived in FL in the late 80's through mid-90's and remember buying the FL residence "Three Season Salute" pass. It was good most of the year and blackout days were around busy times (holidays, spring break, summer, etc). Basically times a local wouldn't want to go, anyway.

I think we paid $69 for our kids the first year and something like $79 for my wife and I. It went all the way up to $99 before we moved. We had a blast with those passes.

I am trying to remember the exact phrasing, but think the number of tickets was based on the unit size. Two for a studio or 1 bedroom, maybe four for a two bedroom? So perhaps it was stated as two per bedroom?
Yes, exactly. The park passes were good through 1999, and the number of tickets was 1/2 the room capacity. So a st and 1br was 2 free passes per day for the length of stay. 2br was 4 passes. GV was 6. The number of points used didn't matter. It was a really good incentive to buy into the original "The Vacation Club", now called Old Key West.

First AP was 1982.
The timeframe probably corresponds to when Disney was moving from tickets and ticket books over to all-day/all-park passes.

Can you even imagine what the blogs would sound like in 1982 for that change if social media was like it is today?!!! That was a huge change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter