Annual reading challenge 2018- Join in on the Fun

Just a quick note back to Coswell Cogs: I just realized that on the 1st thread you are summarizing books and authors. That's GREAT!!! Thanks for moderating this thread and doing such a great job with it.

Thanks for the nice words. Just updated through page 13. Man did you guys read a lot on page 13.

24/50
The Good Pilot Peter Woodhouse by Alexander McCall Smith
A very good novel of love and friendship. It begins in England during WWII.

In April I read 14 books to bring my total for the year to 69. They were:

56) The Glory of Their Times: The Stories of the Early Days of Baseball Told by the Men Who Played it by Lawerence S. Ritter - In the mid 60s Ritter interviewed ~30 players who played in the early days of baseball and tells their stories in their own words. Wonderful baseball book. 4.5/5

57) The Greatest Baseball Stories Ever Told: Thirty Unforgettable Tales from the Diamond by Jeff Silverman (Editor) - Some great writing that spans the length of baseball into the late 20th century (book was published in ‘04). There were a few stories that had me scratching my head wondering what definition of great was used to include them in the book. Overall though, very solid. 4/5

58) Terror in the City of Champions: Murder, Baseball, and the Secret Society That Shocked Depression-Era Detroit by Tom Stanton - In 1934 the Tigers list the World Series. The year that followed, the Lions, Red Wings and Tigers would all win their championships and Joe Louis was on his way to the heavyweight crown. At the same time the Black Legion, a Klan off-shot was gaining ground in Detroit. It mainly focuses on the Tigers and the Black Legion and there is no real connector between the stories, except that it was all taking place in Detroit. It was a good read on Depression era Detroit as a whole though. 4/5

59) Curveball: The Remarkable Story of Toni Stone the First Woman to Play Professional Baseball in the Negro League by Martha Ackmann - A good biography on Toni Stone and a nice read on barnstorming teams, independent teams and the Negro League of the 40s - 50s. 3.5/5
60) The 33-Year-Old Rookie: How I Finally Made It to the Big Leagues After 11 Years in the Minors by Chris Coste - I’ve had this in my bookshelf since it was published in ‘08, but just never got around to reason it. Nice look at Coste’s journey through the independent leagues and the minor leagues until finally achieving his dreams. 3.75/5

61) Rose by Li-Young Lee - Beautiful, emotional works. This was Lee’s first collection of poems. 4.5/5

62) The Best of It: New and Selected Poems by Kay Ryan - A wide ranging collection of 200 poems from the 16th poet laureate. A nice collection 4.25/5

63) in the absence of the sun by Emily Curtis - For a first poetry collection from a high schooler that was good. 3.5/5

64) Calling A Wolf A Wolf by Kaveh Akbar - A terrific debut collection. 4.75/5

65) How We Became Human: New and Selected Poems: 1975 - 2001 by Joy Harjo - A great collection of Harjo’s poems. 4.25/5

66) Would You Like Magic with That: Working at Walt Disney World Guest Relations by Annie Salisbury - Memoir of a Disney cast member. Interesting behind the scenes read. 3.75/5

67) One Little Spark!: Mickey’s Ten Commandments and the Road to Imagineering by Martin Sklar - Sklar, one of the best known Imagineers and former president of the Imagineering Department, gives his leadership philosophy, along with plenty of anecdotes and memories of many Imagineers. 4/5

68) Disney Declassified by Aaron H. Goldberg - just a quick read in some of the stranger things that have happened at The various Disney parks. 3/5

69) DisneyWar by James B. Stewart - The rise and fall of Michael Eisner’s 20+ years at Disney. Published back in ‘05, about a month before Eisner official announced he would be resigning, the level of access Stewart was able to get while writing the book is pretty ridiculous. 4.25/5

So I started "The Troop" by Nick Cutter... But I had to stop reading it. I just plain don't like it. I figured it out about three chapters in and the characters aren't at all likeable. I rarely give up on a book but I dreaded reading every night before rather than looking forward to it.

On to the next!

I am trying to get another one in , but so far I can't. I don't think my poor hubby wants to be ignored....:rotfl:

Finished 12- A wrinkle in time
Finished 13- a Ross Matthews book Man up.. Fluff but ok
Attempted a few audio books but they aren't for me
Finished 14- The Rooster Bar- John Grisham.. This one felt like he just called it in.

Currently reading #13 A Handmaids Tale

I have a few holds coming up soon that I am looking forward to.

11/10

Jurassic Park. No description necessary :) The best book ever! My all time favorite book. This is about my 5th or so re-read. It has been awhile so it was almost like reading it for the first time. There was so much that I had forgotten !!

What I read in April:

18) Cycle of Lies: The Fall of Lance Armstrong by Juliet Macur.

I've read a few books about Lance and this one didn't tell me anything new. It was well written, but I still feel bad for all the people whose reputations were ruined by Lance's lies.

19 & 20) Sloppy Firsts and Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty.

These are the first two books in the YA Jessica Darling series. I read them while traveling and they were fun, easy reads. I felt like the choices made by the characters were a lot more in line with actual teen life than in many books, so I appreciated that.

21) Bachelor Nation: Inside the World of America's Favorite Guilty Pleasure by Amy Kaufman.

This is written by a journalist and fan of the show. While she has access to many former contestants, it also felt like no new information if you read anything about how the show is produced. The information about how producers manipulate contestants was new to me, but was also no surprise. A quick read if you're a fan of the show or you enjoy hate watching.

My numbers seem low for this time of year, but I have a handful of half-finished books so eventually they will pop up.

Jurassic Park. No description necessary :) The best book ever! My all time favorite book. This is about my 5th or so re-read. It has been awhile so it was almost like reading it for the first time. There was so much that I had forgotten !!

Would you believe that I've never seen any of the movies? I'll go add the book to my reading list now.

Would you believe that I've never seen any of the movies? I'll go add the book to my reading list now.

Though the movie does change some things up a bit, it is STILL my favorite movie( the first one) . It could just be the fact that it has dinosaurs and a great line up of actors!! Its just plain and simple my favorite everything!!! I am now off to find my copy of Jurassic Park: The Lost World. Haven't read that one in a while either :)

#8 was “Brooklyn” by Colm Tobin. It was a lovely book, and it was one of my favourite movies in recent years. Such a sweet story. I truly enjoyed the book and the movie.

#9 will be “A Complicated Kindness” by Miriam Towes. I don’t know much about it but it was in the Canadian Fiction display at the library and caught my eye.

#32/90: Memory Man (Amos Decker #1) by David Baldacci (4/5) (crime)
Due to a football injury, Decker has total recall. He was a police detective, but his life spiraled out of control after the brutal murder of his family. He is called back to help with a mass shooting that just may have ties to the murder of his family.

I read this book in anticipation of Baldacci speaking at my local book store. I would highly recommend seeing him speak if you have a chance; he was very entertaining!

#33/90: A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1) by Kendra Elliot (4/5) (romantic thriller)
FBI agent Mercy is called to the hometown she left years ago to help with an investigation of multiple murders.

#34/90: The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens (4/5) (mystery)
A college student interviews a man who has been released from prison to spend his last days in a nursing home. He and a neighbor race to go through information to prove that the man is actually innocent of the murder before he succumbs to cancer. At the same time, the student has to deal with his alcoholic mother and autistic brother.

#35/90: True Fiction (Ian Ludlow #1) by Lee Goldberg (4/5) (adventure thriller)
An author realizes that an airline crash is the same scenario that he described years ago to someone from the CIA. Now he is on the run with his handler and a former actor to not only stay alive, but to stop anything else from happening. Warning: Some crude and graphic language/descriptions.

#11 - Haunted in Death by JD Robb (audio book, couldn't find it in print/ebook)

#12 - Born in Death by JD Robb

#13 - Innocent in by Death JD Robb

I am not going to make my goal this year, at the rate I am going. I read an average of a book a week last year. This year it seems to take 2 weeks per book.

Update time:
#17-"Best State Ever:A Florida Man Defends His Homeland", Dave Barry. Not as funny as some of his, just 3/5
#18-"A Room of My Own" by Ann Matlock, historical fiction about America during the Great Depression, very interesting about a time not often written about4/5
#19-"Secrets of the Tulip Sisters". Typical Susan Mallery romance. I used to really enjoy her books. But unfortunately I kept thinking throughout the book-"I'm getting too old for this stuff" 3.5/5
#2--"Chasing Birds Across Texas. A Birding Big Year." If you're a Texan or avid birder, you might like this book. Since I'm both, I LOVED it. But trying to be objective here, a 4/5

OOPS! I've been reading but not posting! I'll start catching up with a few books at a time. And I keep adding books to my lists from you all!

6. Wheel of Darkness by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
This is part of the Pendergast series. I had read several of these a few years ago and am trying to catch up somewhat. This one is a little different than the rest of the series so far but still a mystery. Pendergast is an odd duck and always entertaining.

7. Beyond the Ice Limit by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Same authors but different series. This is a Gideon Crew installment but also based on a previous novel (Ice Limit) where he was not involved. A meteorite hit the earth and this group of scientists must figure out what to do about it. Very good.

8. Day of the Dead by JA Jance
I've been sampling all of JA Jance series lately. This is the Walker Family series. The book advances several years beyond the last one. Now the main character has retired from being a sheriff but his wife still has an active career. He is bored but gets invited to become a member of a new task force for solving old crimes. This is set in the southwest. Good installment.

9. Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls and Everything In Between by Lauren Graham
If you are a fan of the Gilmore girls this is a must read. I listened to it and it is narrated by Lauren Graham. It is a memoir and she focuses a lot of the book on the Gilmore girls series and then the return. It was a lot of fun to learn about different aspects and characters of the TV series.

10. Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub
This is a follow up of the Talisman. Jack has grown up and doesn't really remember what happened in his childhood. It starts to come back when a series of murders occur in his town. He must go back to that childhood realm and settle it for good. Loved it!

11. All By Myself Alone by Mary Higgins Clark
This was a kind of fun "Alvirah and Willie" installment. Alvirah and Willie won the lottery several years ago and spend a lot of their time traveling. This time they are on a cruise and must solve a murder with many suspects. Good fun

12. Rush for the Gold: Mystery at the Olympics by John Feinstein
I picked this up because it featured swimming which is what I do. This would be classified as a young adult book and is part of a series about these two teenagers who met while winning a writing contest. They get to write for this newspaper and solve mysteries that just happen to occur wherever they go. So you know when you know a lot about something and you read a book and it's all wrong so you scoff? This was not like that! The research was very accurate. It is set in my state in a town I know well and the first part of the book covers swim meets I've been to. I was kind of amazed because the guy doesn't seem to be a swimmer and he writes about a lot of different subjects. Anyway, it is about a girl on her way to make the Olympic swim team and corruption she and her friend uncover and resolve.

That gets us half way through February. More to come!

9 of 40: 180 Seconds by Jessica Park, 2.5/5 stars. The plot seemed good, Social awkward girl gets thrown into a social experiment. But I found it moved to fast and was a bit unrealistic for my taste. I also didn’t connect to the characters.... maybe I’m finally aging out of young adult books? :sad:

#19 The Lost Ones by Sheena Kamal
From Goodreads:

It's late. The phone rings.

The man on the other end says his daughter is missing.

Your daughter.

The baby you gave away over fifteen years ago.

What do you do?

Nora Watts isn't sure that she wants to get involved. Troubled, messed up, and with more than enough problems of her own, Nora doesn't want to revisit the past. But then she sees the photograph. A girl, a teenager, with her eyes. How can she turn her back on her?

But going in search of her daughter brings Nora into contact with a past that she would rather forget, a past that she has worked hard to put behind her, but which is always there, waiting for her . . .

Ok, from the description & the good reviews from Goodreads, I thought this would be a good book. Not so for me. Some really good parts but more bad parts. It actually became kinda tedious but I kept thinking it would get better and I also didn't have anything else on hand to read, lol.

I wouldn't recommend...

1. The great tree house war

Parents get divorced and make the poor girl crazy for wanting equal time

2. Lemons

About a girl named lemon who makes the best out of a bad situation

3. Home sweet motel

About a boy who tries to save his home from foreclosure

4. Crisscrossed

A boy learns who the real enemy is

5. PABLO
A cat and his friends go on real advven adventures

Last edited:
25/50

Who the Bishop Knows by Vannetta Chapman

The last of a series of 20 books about an Amish Community in Colorado. First book I read in the series, would not bother with others.

#36/90: The Drowning House by Elizabeth Black (3/5) (contemporary fiction)
A woman returns home to Galveston after the death of her daughter and works to uncover an old mystery, discovering truths from her past along the way.
It took me a bit to get into the book, and I thought the ending was a jumble.

#37/90: The Swans of Fifth Avenue by Melanie Benjamin (5/5) (historical fiction/NY society)
Beautifully written tragic story of the NY socialites who nurtured Truman Capote, but were ultimately betrayed by him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter