Annual Reading Challenge 2019

7/30 - Crumbled To Pieces by Catherine Bruns - Cozy mystery with a baking twist

8/30 - Shattered Trust by Sara Parker - romantic suspense

9/30 - Santa Fe Sunrise by Tanya Stowe - romantic suspense

I got distracted by the Xbox and haven't keep up on my reading, but a new Star Wars book came out yesterday, so...

Strange Little Girl by John Dean. A DCI John Blizzard murder mystery. A British police procedural book with interesting twists.

38 of 104

13/30-Love Come to Me by Lisa Kleypas
14/30-Accidental Heroes by Danielle Steel

#23/50 The Silent Corner by Dean Koontz

“I very much need to be dead.”

These are the chilling words left behind by a man who had everything to live for—but took his own life. In the aftermath, his widow, Jane Hawk, does what all her grief, fear, and fury demand: find the truth, no matter what.
People of talent and accomplishment, people admired and happy and sound of mind, have been committing suicide in surprising numbers. When Jane seeks to learn why, she becomes the most-wanted fugitive in America. Her powerful enemies are protecting a secret so important—so terrifying—that they will exterminate anyone in their way.
But all their power and viciousness may not be enough to stop a woman as clever as they are cold-blooded, as relentless as they are ruthless—and who is driven by a righteous rage they can never comprehend. Because it is born of love.

I don't know about this one. Kinda long & drawn out in places & hard to follow actions of the main character. I knew it was the first of a series and was hoping Jane would solve the issues in the first book & start with new adventures on book two but doesn't appear to be that way, lol. But I got the drift of the book and since I checked out the sequel from the library at the same time I checked this one out, I will go ahead and start the sequel.

11 of 50 Julia Quinn "To Sir Phillip, with Love"

And here's where I'll take a brief Bridgerton break to check out some brand new stuff. I'm also listening to the Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire but I've still got 30 hours to go... I'll probably power through it next week at work.

Ready To Fumble by Christy Barritt. This was the first book in her "The Worst Detective Ever Mystery Series". Despite the title this was not the worst mystery book I have read. Nor was it the best but it was cute, lighthearted and an easy read.

39 of 104

27/75. The Secret Place by Tara French

A good story about a murder in a girl’s school, but I think it was too wordy.

27/75. The Secret Place by Tara French

A good story about a murder in a girl’s school, but I think it was too wordy.
I also thought that the strange power thing was unnecessary to the story.

17/50 So Long Lollipops by Sarah Lyons Fleming This novella takes place concurrently with the last few chapters of Until the End of the World. It was a quick enjoyable read. I plan to continue with the series.

18/50 The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen If this book wasn’t the May selection for book club, I would have quit reading it. The first half of the book seemed to wander aimlessly. The last part of the book picked up the pace tremendously, but I didn’t feel it redeemed the book.

Hi all - new to this thread, and I hope I'm not too far off topic! I've recently gotten into ready and listening to audiobooks. I've downloaded and subscribed to the Audible app, but have also seen there are audiobooks available through Overdrive and Libby with my local library system. My question is whether anyone prefers Audible over any of the other mediums for audiobooks? Does Audible have more of a selection? I don't need to own/purchase the book, but I do like having it downloaded to my phone so I can listen to it without using data or while flying. Appreciate any tips or suggestions!

I use both Audible to own and Libby to borrow from the library. Both can download to your phone so you can play them “offline”

#5 Written in Mine Own Heart’s Blood by Diana Gabaldon. NO! I don’t want to be done already! Absolutely loved it.

Happy Doomsday by David Sosnowski. This was a dystopian novel - a type of literature that I am very unfamiliar with and I am not really clear how I came to down load this book to my Kindle. However, it was a unique type story to me - everyone in the world suddenly drops dead except for young people who were attempting suicide. The book follows three characters as they struggle to survive and eventually find each other.

40 of 104

28/75...Becoming by Michelle Obama

I was a teacher and like Michelle Obama, I believe that education is a way out of poverty. I enjoyed the book, and waited about 4 months to get it from the library. I read it in two days, so bringing it back to share her story with whomever is next in line!

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I had heard a lot about how good this mystery book was, so I finally was able to get it from my library, I read it. I was not a fan. I found both the husband and wife to be self-absorbed narcissists. In the end they deserved each other and the pain they seemed to enjoy inflicting on each other.

41 of 104

#47/130 - Daughter of Moloka'i by Alan Brennert

I have been waiting for this one to come out ever since I picked up Brennert's Honolulu and Moloka'i, I think because of recommendations in past years' incarnations of this thread. It did not disappoint. Brennert has a real gift for telling huge, sweeping stories through the eyes of a single character/family, bringing major episodes from history to life on a very personal level. This story follows the daughter of the main character of Moloka'i, a girl of mixed Hawaiian and Japanese ancestry who was born in a Hawaiian leper colony and adopted by a Japanese family that eventually moves to California just before Pearl Harbor, only to end up as part of the internment of Japanese-Americans during the war. The historical elements of the book are beautifully researched and heartbreakingly presented without being maudlin or melancholy, and the story continues past the end of the war to follow how the family moves on from the experience and the eventual reunion between the main character and her birth mother.

#48/130 - Craving by Helen Hardt
#49 - Obsession
#50 - Possession

This series started out strong, roping me in by not being quite what I expected, but kind of fizzled as the story dragged on. The first book was a surprise. I picked it up expecting a pretty typical romance novel, which in some ways it was, but there's a strong psychological storyline to it too, in the hero's backstory, that eventually develops into more of a thriller/mystery. I really enjoyed the characters in the first book, who were formulaic in some ways but unexpected in others, but as I got into the second and particularly the third book, it kind of got a bit tiresome, with the overarching mystery feeling like something thrown in to keep the reader hooked, and I was disappointed that there was absolutely no resolution at the end of the third book even though that's the end of the story arc between the two main characters. To find out how the mystery unravels, you have to move on to a second series featuring the hero's brother, and another after that featuring their other brother. I am just not invested enough for all of that, especially since I've reached my Hoopla borrowing limit for the month and finishing out the series (10 books in all) would eat up my entire May and half of June's limit too.

Happy Doomsday by David Sosnowski. This was a dystopian novel - a type of literature that I am very unfamiliar with and I am not really clear how I came to down load this book to my Kindle. However, it was a unique type story to me - everyone in the world suddenly drops dead except for young people who were attempting suicide. The book follows three characters as they struggle to survive and eventually find each other.

It was an Amazon Prime First Reads pick not that long ago.

28/75...Becoming by Michelle Obama

I was a teacher and like Michelle Obama, I believe that education is a way out of poverty. I enjoyed the book, and waited about 4 months to get it from the library. I read it in two days, so bringing it back to share her story with whomever is next in line!

I have been on the waitlist for this one for what feels like forever, and I'm still 24th in line!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter