Annual Reading Challenge--2020

The Boy Who Followed His Father into Auschwitz by Jeremy Dronfield. A true story of family and survival. There are many books about the Holocaust. This is a fairly long one that was deeply researched and footnoted. Most remarkable is the fact that it documents two people who witnessed the entire process from the first mass arrests, through the various types of camps seeing most, if not all phrases of the Final Solution and both survived. It is not a fun book. It is not a feel good story with a happy ending even though the two did survive. Of the 1,035 Viennese Jews that were in the mass arrest with these two, they and only 24 others survived. That is 26 out of 1,036. That is a 97.5% kill rate. Made possible by following a leader who had his own version of truth, required blind and continuous obedience, fanned hate and indoctrination.

63 of 80

70/80. Hidden Among the Stars by Melanie Dobson

A books that connects what happened in 1938/9 Austria with a family in Ohio in the 1950’s.

#50/60 Thirteen Doorways Wolves Behind Them All by Laura Ruby
From Goodreads:
The unforgettable story of two young women—one living, one dead—dealing with loss, desire, and the fragility of the American dream during WWII.

When Frankie’s mother died and her father left her and her siblings at an orphanage in Chicago, it was supposed to be only temporary—just long enough for him to get back on his feet and be able to provide for them once again. That’s why Frankie's not prepared for the day that he arrives for his weekend visit with a new woman on his arm and out-of-state train tickets in his pocket.
Now Frankie and her sister, Toni, are abandoned alongside so many other orphans—two young, unwanted women doing everything they can to survive.
And as the embers of the Great Depression are kindled into the fires of World War II, and the shadows of injustice, poverty, and death walk the streets in broad daylight, it will be up to Frankie to find something worth holding on to in the ruins of this shattered America—every minute of every day spent wondering if the life she's able to carve out will be enough.

I liked it altho I do think the author was 'doing too much' at times.

The Boy Who Followed His Father into Auschwitz by Jeremy Dronfield. A true story of family and survival. There are many books about the Holocaust. This is a fairly long one that was deeply researched and footnoted. Most remarkable is the fact that it documents two people who witnessed the entire process from the first mass arrests, through the various types of camps seeing most, if not all phrases of the Final Solution and both survived. It is not a fun book. It is not a feel good story with a happy ending even though the two did survive. Of the 1,035 Viennese Jews that were in the mass arrest with these two, they and only 24 others survived. That is 26 out of 1,036. That is a 97.5% kill rate. Made possible by following a leader who had his own version of truth, required blind and continuous obedience, fanned hate and indoctrination.

63 of 80

Thanks for highlighting this one. I have read a lot of Holocaust memoirs and had not heard of this.

47. Four Past Midnight by Stephen King

This is a wonderful collection of novellas but unlike Different Seasons, this one makes no bones about being a collection of horror stories. "The Langoliers" is the most interesting take on time travel I think I have ever read. "Secret Window, Secret Garden" is another in a series of stories about the tension of writers and writing (which began in Misery, continued in The Dark Half and gets another version here). "The Library Policeman" is a vision of childhood fears still carried and living for an adult. "The Sun Dog" is a Castle Rock story which presents the extraordinary as it intersects with the ordinary (and is sort of a prequel for the upcoming Needful Things).

48. Too Much is Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man by Mary L. Trump

Again, a political book, so I won't review it here. If you want my opinion, feel free to message me.

49. I'm Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness by Austin Channing Brown

A short but incredible powerful book about the life experience of the author and the lessons she has learned in her life. What a powerful work. HIGHLY recommended.

50. Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration by Ed Catmull and Amy Wallace

A riveting and inspirational review of Catmull's career at Pixar (and Disney), and a handbook for managing and leading excellent organizations. Written before the John Lasseter revelations, some of the book reads somewhat differently now, however so many of the lessons offered are so valuable and instructive. I definitely recommend this book!

AND WITH THAT, I am at 50! That was my goal. Everything else is gravy!

51. The Dark Tower: The Waste Lands by Stephen King

The third in the Dark Tower series, this one reconciles the two stories of Jake (did he die in book 1? did he not die in book 2?) and brings Jake back to the group journeying to the Tower. It also introduces the city of Lud and Blaine the train (who's a pain). I LOVED this book, and for me this is where the Dark Tower series really picks up and moves me forward into the story.

52. Rage by Bob Woodward

In keeping with my practice on books that could be viewed as political, I will not review this here, but welcome your private message if you would like to discuss.

53. Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard by Chip and Dan Heath

Part of my Miracle Morning reading cycle, this was a very inspirational book to motivate and guide change. Broken into three sections - the Rider, the Elephant, and the Path - the book features examples of successful change and breaks down why change is hard while providing strategies for personal or business focused change. I do recommend this one if you are interested in motivating change within your family, yoru circle of friends, or your workplace.

Already reading the next Stephen King book (about 1/2 way through) so I should have another review soon. These days I feel like I am constantly reading at least two (if not sometimes three) books at the same time!

12/15 - Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson
Oh my goodness. Such a hard read, but a good and very powerful read. If you don't at LEAST question how we implement prison sentences in general and specifically the death penalty after reading this book...

71/80 Child of Mine by Beverly and Davis Lewis

Finding her birth child who had been kidnapped was very important to Kelley. Then she learned about children who grew in a mother’s heart.

#64/90: A Single Thread by Tracy Chevalier (4/5) (historical fiction)

A woman who lost her fiancee during WWI leaves the home of her controlling mother. She decides to join a group of embroiderers at the local cathedral, and opens up her world to friendship and forbidden romance.

#65/90: A Superior Death (Anna Pigeon #2) by Nevada Barr (3.5/5) (mystery)

Anna has moved on to a park on Lake Superior, where she needs to swallow her fear of diving to help solve the mysterious death of a local man.

#66/90: Winter in Paradise (Paradise #1)by Elin Hilderbrand (3/5) (ficton)

Irene is shocked by the sudden death of her husband, and even more shocked because he died on the island of St. John. She and her two adult sons fly down to the villa to try and figure out the secrets he kept.

This had a cliffhanger ending. I found the sons to be annoying.

#67/90: The Book of Lost Friends by Lisa Wingate (4/5) (historical fiction)

Three young women are thrown together in a search for family in the post Civil War South. A modern day teacher struggles to reach her students through research into the past of the town.

I enjoyed the story of the past better. It was interesting how the author was inspired by the real letters.

#68/90: Action Park: Fast Times, Wild Rides, and the Untold Story of America’s Most Dangerous Amusement Park by Andy Mulvihill with Jake Rossen (3/5) (memoir)

The owner’s son recalls the history of the rise and fall of the infamous park.

Although I never went to the park, I knew of it and its reputation. I think the son really tried to justify his father’s actions.

#69/90: All the Devils are Here (Gamache # 16) by Louise Penny (4/5) (mystery)

Gamache and his wife are in Paris, enjoying time with the entire family, including his godfather Stephen. After Stephen is hit by a car, Gamache tries to solve the crime which has ties to the careers of both his son and son-in-law.

I have to say, I really missed all of the quirky characters in Tree Pines!

#70/90: Virgil Wander by Leif Enger (4/5) (fiction)

Virgil Wander is the owner of a movie house in a small Midwestern town. After surviving a car accident, he has language and memory problems. The inhabitants of his town help him on the road to recovery.

Quirky characters, sweet story.

#71/90: Dead Reckoning (Still Waters #1) by Dawn Lee McKenna and Axel Blackwell (4/5) (suspense)

Lieutenant Caldwell gave up his old life after his wife’s tragic accident, resulting in her residing in a hospice facility. Now he is the new guy in the sheriff’s office in a small town on the Florida Panhandle. But the sheriff is found shot in a very suspicious situation, and Caldwell has been thrust into the position of acting sheriff and having to solve the crime.

#72/90: The Last Sister (Columbia River #1) by Kendra Elliot (4/5) (suspense)

Emily’s father was murdered, her mother committed suicide, and her older sister disappeared all in the course of a week. Twenty years later, a crime that seemed similar to her father’s death brought an FBI agent to their small town to solve the current murder.

39) Finding Ultra, Revised and Updated Edition: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself by Rich Roll - Memoir. Roll’s story taking him from collegiate swimmer to an alcoholic & addict to sober and clean but so unhealthy he would have to take a break walking up the stairs in his house to a world class Ultra Endurance athlete. 4.25/5 (As a side note, if you’re looking for a podcast his, The Rich Roll Podcast, is very good).

40) How to Bake Pi: An Edible Exploration of the Mathematics of Mathematics by Eugenia Cheng - Mathematics. An accessible introduction to the foundation and logic of math using the Category Theory. 4/5.

41) Landscapes of Exclusion: State Parks and Jim Crow in the American South by William E. O’Brien - Beginning in the early 20th Century there was a huge push to expand public access to scenic places. However, the segregation of the Jim Crown South saw most of these places designated as “whites only” and the few “separate but equal” places Blacks could go to were wholly substandard. A Civil Rights fight that has largely faded from public awareness. 4.25/5

32/25 The Guest List by Lucy Foley

Guests gather on an island off the coast of Ireland for the wedding of Will and Jules. But the guests all have their secrets and motives for murder. One person won’t make it off the island alive.

The story kept me hooked and guessing until the very end, so in that sense I really liked it. But the language was a little over the top and I got tired of it, so that was my only complaint. But in itself a good murder mystery.

#90/156 - Belleweather by Susanna Kearsley

The story of a colonial family asked to give shelter to two captured French officers on Long Island, this story was told in two timelines - the story of the family in the 1700s and the story of the museum keeper unearthing it in the modern day, with the heroines in both times finding romance along the way - and had a bit of a supernatural element woven into the modern day story as a ghost in the family's home helps guide the discoveries. Well researched and set in a part of the country that doesn't get a lot of love in the historical fiction I've read, I really enjoyed this one.

#91 - The Testaments by Margaret Atwood

Sequel to The Handmaid's Tale, like most second books this one wasn't as good as the original. It was still quite interesting, particularly in the choice of the main characters through whose eyes the story unfolds, and it ends on a much less ambiguous note than The Handmaid's Tale which is both more and less satisfying, I think, because that ambiguity is a part of what made the original so great. But seeing the whole thing through Aunt Lydia's eyes was fascinating and disturbing in a very different way - not the sheer brutality of the world of Gilead but the individual look at how and why ordinary people became complicit in building that world.

#92 - The Unwinding: An Inner History of New America by George Packer

This was very creatively told, a non-fiction narrative bringing together the stories of a half-dozen Americans from diverse backgrounds and experiences to paint a picture of the changes that have shaped our government and economy over the past generation. Written only a few years after the recession, before the recovery really got rolling, it foreshadowed a lot of the current fault lines and unrest in examining what went wrong both before and during the '08 recession and how it impacted everyone from a Washington insider with Wall Street ties to a Ohio factory worker and a Florida journalist.

#93 - Harvest the Vote by Jane Kleeb

A guide to grassroots organizing, seeking common ground, and reversing some of the political polarization that has taken shape over the last 30 or 40 years, written by an organizer and party official who has spent her entire career in Nebraska. Interesting, positive, forward-looking political thinking, if perhaps a little simplistic or overly optimistic in the current climate.

#94 - Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil Degrasse Tyson

This book frankly amazed me. I don't think of myself as a "science person" and the sciences that do capture my imagination tend toward the naturalism of John Muir and other early conservationists, not cosmology, but this little book really did an excellent job of explaining core concepts in simple, plain English. And the author has a way of communicating his fascination with and love for the subject matter in language that at times borders on poetic, while also not being above ridiculous puns at other times. My 19yo science-nerd daughter recommended this one and I really didn't expect to like it nearly as much as I did.

#95 - Someone to Love by Mary Balogh

A historical romance by one of the authors I've read a fair bit of, this one was pretty good. The premise revolves around a young woman who finds out as an adult that she is nobility, so rather than all the crazy high-society rules of the time being sort of background like they are in most historicals, they're more explicitly laid out which added an extra layer of interest to what would otherwise have been a fairly generic romance. I've already borrowed the second in the series from out library ebook portal to start next time I'm in the mood for a fluff read.

#96 - Tip of the Iceberg by Mark Adams

A chronicle of the author's travels along the Alaskan coast, roughly retracing the path of a historic expedition that John Muir and other early American scientists, naturalists and industrialists took. The narrative blends to the two journeys, along with material about the history, culture, biology and geology of coastal Alaska. Travel books are always a fairly dangerous read for me because I'm cursed with a rather extreme tendency to want to see and do everything, and this one had that effect in spades, particularly since the author made extensive use of the Alaskan Marine Highway (car ferry system). My uncle, who used to live in Alaska and work fishing boats, has always told me driving is the way to go there because otherwise you end up stuck on the well-tread path. I read the whole book cover-to-cover once, then skimmed it again to take notes on some of the weird or beautiful places the author described that I want to keep in mind for a future trip... maybe next summer, if the rest of the world is still closed to us Americans.

72/80. Death of a Macho Man by M.C.Beaton
One of the better Hamish MacBeth mysteries IMO. I enjoyed the light read about the unconventional policeman in Lochdubh!

73/80. Sanctuary by David and Beverly Lewis

It’s not a typical Amish story. Insider trading, FBI, Russian mob, its all in the book, and it’s well written and interesting.

It’s not a typical Amish story. Insider trading, FBI, Russian mob, its all in the book, and it’s well written and interesting.

Woah. I used to read her books, but then got tired of the Amish fiction genre (yeah... there are basically enough for me to call it a genre...) and really Christian fiction in general, because I tired of the underlying love stories that seem to leave no room for a happy, single, Christian female. But this one sounds... intriguing. And interesting. But I'm almost afraid it's going to be "interesting" in that "Well. That was... uh... interesting. Yeah. That's it. Interesting." way. Ha!

Last edited:

Woah. I used to read her books, but then got tired of the Amish fiction genre (yeah... there are basically enough for me to call it a genre...) and really Christian fiction in general, because I tired of the underlying lying love stories that seem to leave no room for a happy, single, Christian female. But this one sounds... intriguing. And intereting. But I'm almost afraid it's going to be "interesting" in that "Well. That was... uh... interesting. Yeah. That's it. Interesting." way. Ha!
I too strayed from the Amish genre as they were all pretty much the same.
But...have y'all read any of Linda Castillo's "Kate Burkholder" series? Kate grew up Amish but left and became involved in law enforcement so lots of mystery/suspense in an Amish setting. Castillo is one of my favorite authors and can't wait til the next in the series comes out.

#51/60 Y is for Yesterday by Sue Grafton
From Goodreads:
Beginss in 1979, when four teenage boys from an elite private school sexually assault a fourteen-year-old classmate—and film the attack. Not long after, the tape goes missing and the suspected thief, a fellow classmate, is murdered. In the investigation that follows, one boy turns state’s evidence and two of his peers are convicted. But the ringleader escapes without a trace.

Now, it’s 1989 and one of the perpetrators, Fritz McCabe, has been released from prison. Moody, unrepentant, and angry, he is a virtual prisoner of his ever-watchful parents—until a copy of the missing tape arrives with a ransom demand. That’s when the McCabes call Kinsey Millhone for help. As she is drawn into their family drama, she keeps a watchful eye on Fritz. But he’s not the only one being haunted by the past. A vicious sociopath with a grudge against Millhone may be leaving traces of himself for her to find…

Very good! So sad that this is the last of the author's alphabet series. No more Kinsey Millhone to look forward to.

61. Rules of Civility by Amor Towles set in NYC late 1930’s. I liked the premise, hated the characters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter