• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ANNUAL READING GOAL CHALLENGE for 2015!

I've read both of these. I also could not stand Life and Life. Still Alice is one of my favorites. The movie was good too but does not do the book justice. Just reading a story from the patient's perspective was unusual. The movie could not capture that at all.

My mom asked me recently if I was going to see the movie now that I've finished the book. I thought about it for a few seconds and realized there's no way a movie can do this book properly. So won't be bothering with it which is fine with me - more time for reading!

Finished 5/20, Me Before You, over the weekend. I must say this is the most enjoyable book I've read this year although the subject matter was slightly uncomfortable for me. I liked the author's writing style although it's not my usual type of book and will probably read more from her in the future. Currently reading The Husband's Secret and it's holding my interest so far.

That was my favorite book of 2014. It's one of the few books that I won't be forgetting. Love the author - have read several by her now!

I just finished this one. I put it off because I've had grandparents with Alzheimers. I really liked it!

I don't know anyone with Alzheimers personally. I'm so sorry about your grandparents. :( I enjoyed the book in that it put the readers into the mind of the patient, and I strongly feel that the more people are educated about a certain illness or disease, the less uncomfortable they will be when around a person with that disease. This book was a good reminder that even though a person may have dementia, the person they were before the disease hit is still very much inside despite the fog that is clouding their brain. They're just trapped and struggling to find their way out. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for them to be so confused all the time.

I finished Still Alice over the weekend - would give it 5 stars. Absolutely loved it and highly recommend it.

Currently reading Save Me by Lisa Scottoline (a recommendation by my mom).

#14/30: Barefoot by Elin Hilderbrand
From Goodreads: It's summer on Nantucket, and as the season begins, three women arrive at the local airport, observed by Josh, a local boy, home from college. Burdened with small children, unwieldy straw hats, and some obvious emotional issues, the women--two sisters and one friend--make their way to the sisters' tiny cottage, inherited from an aunt. They're all trying to escape from something: Melanie, after seven failed in-vitro attempts, discovered her husband's infidelity and then her own pregnancy; Brenda embarked on a passionate affair with an older student that got her fired from her prestigious job as a professor in New York; and her sister Vickie, mother to two small boys, has been diagnosed with cancer. Soon Josh is part of the chaotic household, acting as babysitter, confidant, and, eventually, something more, while the women confront their pasts and map out their futures.

Despite the semi-familiar chick-flick plot, I give this five stars. Very well written. I'm really enjoying Elin Hilderbrand's books.

Goal 72

#34 A Fine & Private Place by Peter S. Beagle

From back cover: 'For nineteen years, Jonathan Rebeck has hidden from the world within the confines of the Bronx's Yorkchester Cemetery, making an abandoned mausoleum his secret home. He speaks with the newly dead as they pass from life to where spirits truly go, providing them with comfort, an understanding ear, and even the occasional game of chess.

But Mr. Rebeck's reclusive life is soon to be disrupted. An impossible love has blossomed between two ghosts, and Rebeck himself is drawn to a living woman. Helped along by a cynical talking raven and a mysterious cemetery guard, these four souls must learn the true difference between life and death, and make choices that really are forever.'

Good story, nothing exciting, but good.

So, the problem with joining this thread is I have to remember to come back and update it. I've got several books to add, so I will do them in a couple of posts to make it easier to follow.

#52/100
Death by Coffee by Alex Erickson (Bookstore Café Mysteries #1) – 3

Best friends Krissy and Vickie have moved to Pine Hills and opened a bookstore and coffee shop. They’ve even named it Death by Coffee after one of Krissy’s dad’s bestselling mystery novels. But they find themselves in a real life mystery on their first day in business when a customer buys a cup of coffee, takes it to his office across the street, and dies. Krissy will have to act fast to clear their shop of any wrong doing in the crime.

The book sounded like fun, and I really wanted to like it, but the truth it is turned out to be average. The plot was a little uneven at times, but it still advanced to a great and logical climax. The suspects were good, but most of the series regular characters were a bit flat. Krissy did some embarrassing things that made me cringe, and her cat was annoying. Here’s hoping the series gets better as it goes along.

#53/100
Assaulted Pretzel by Laura Bradford (Amish Mysteries #2) – 5

Everyone, English and Amish alike, are talking about toy maker Rob Karble being in town to make a deal to distribute toys made by the local Amish. However, not too long after word leaks he intends to use his factory instead of the local Amish, he is found murdered. Once again, Claire Weatherly finds herself getting involved to clear her new Amish friends.

I still can’t get over how strong the characters in this series are. They pull you in and make you care about every page. The plot is good, and kept me guessing until the end. I did find the romantic triangle a bit too prominent, and yet with the way it ended, I can’t wait to find out what happens next there as well. The strong characters are to blame for that contradiction.

#54/100
Death of a Chocolate Cheater by Penny Pike (Food Festival Mysteries #2) – 5

Darcy’s Aunt Abby has developed a recipe sure to be a hit at San Francisco’s upcoming chocolate festival. However, when one of the judges is murdered and Abby’s friend is accused of the rime, Darcy must figure out who really committed the chocolate crime.

I loved the first in this series, and this one didn’t disappoint either. It was a little slow to get going, but once it did, the pace never slowed down. The characters are a blast, and I loved getting to visit them again here. And all that chocolate left me drooling. A fantastically fun read.

#55/100
“A” is for Alibi by Sue Grafton (Kinsey Millhone #1) – 4

Laurence Fife was a cheating divorce lawyer, so no one was too upset when he was murdered. Still, his wife Nikki hires PI Kinsey Millhone to find out who did it. The catch? Nikki is out of jail on parole after being convicted of committing the crime herself. With the case closed and cold, can Kinsey find any fresh leads?

I’ve long heard of the series and wanted to start it, and I’m glad I finally did. While the book does fall victim to a few clichés of the genre, it’s still a very enjoyable book. The plot is strong and the characters real, both of which kept me engrossed. I’m looking forward to more of the series.

#56/100
Truffled to Death by Kathy Aarons (Chocolate Covered Mysteries #2) – 5

Michelle are Erica are pleased when their combined chocolate and bookstore is chosen to host a reception to honor a donation of ancient Maya artifacts to a local museum. However, the day after the reception, the artifacts are missing, and a day later someone is murdered. Can the friends figure out what is going on?

I enjoyed the first book, but I liked this one even more. The characters are strong, and I loved seeing how the returning characters developed further over the course of the book. The plots was strong, and because of the subject matter included more than the typical cozy plot, which I also enjoyed. I’m already looking forward to book three.

#57/100 (Yes, I'm counting picture books, but since I should beat my goal, I'm not going to feel guilty about it.)
I Will Take a Nap! by Mo Willems – 4

Gerald wants to take a nap, and Piggie thinks that sounds like a good idea. But will she keep Gerald from getting his nap?

The pictures and dialogue are fun as always, but I don’t think this book has quite the spark of some of the others in the series. Honestly, that’s a minor issue, however, and fans of these fun picture books will still enjoy it.

#58/100
Farmed and Dangerous by Edith Maxwell (Local Foods Mysteries #3) – 5

Winter has settle on Massachusetts, but farmer Cam Flaherty is still very busy. She’s growing food in her hoop house and hoping to land a contract to provide produce during the summer at the local assisted living facility. However, the night that her food is served, one of the residents dies from poison. With local gossip and the police looking at her, Cam must dive in to the mystery to clear her reputation.

The book did start a little slowly, but once the murder takes place, things pick up. I was turning pages as quickly as I could until I reached the satisfying ending. It was great to spend time with these characters again, and the suspects were equally engaging. Be sure to read through the recipes, too, since there is a joke in one of them.

#59/100
The Mystery of the Midnight Marauder by Kathryn Kenny (Trixie Belden #30) – 5

A missing family pet, Trixie’s brother Mart acting weird, and vandalism at school start of this mystery. When the police start to suspect Mart of the crime, Trixie has to work fast to prove his innocence.

For a later book in the series, this is definitely a strong one. The characters are all present and at their very best. We get a few laughs along the way as well. The plot is a tad obvious, but it’s still fun. My biggest complaint is that Sergeant Molinson would actually consider Mart a suspect. I’ve never bought that.

Goal 72

#35 The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Just ok. Don't think I'll bother finishing this trilogy.

#14/50: Inside the O'Brien's by Lisa Genova.

This is from the writer of Still Alice. Same type of book; however, it focuses on another neurological disease: Huntington's Disease. I never knew a thing about it and it certainly raised my awareness. As in Still Alice, much of the story is told from the perspective of the patient but, since Huntington's is a hereditary disease, a lot of storytelling was done by one of the children.

I have not checked in on this thread for a long time. I have just been lurking on the board. Didn't help that the batttery on my laptop died back at the end of January. So I couldn't use my computer for two weeks. Also all the snow Massachusetts got this winter. Also was sick in March and April. Plus I have been taking breaks from the computer at lot lately. So it has not been that great of a chance to read that much so far this year.

I am reading a couple of books. So far I have read 17 out of 50 books on my list. The books I am reading are:

In The Woods by Tana French
Butternut Summer by Mary McNear
Up at Butternut Lake by Mary McNear
Daughters of Rome by Kate Quinn
Lady of the Eternal City by Kate Quinn
The Chase by Janet Evanovich
Once Upon a Grind by Cleo Coyle
Ice Kissed by Amanda Hocking

Half the books on this list are 14 day loans from my library that I have to read at the same time.

#60/100
Snow White Red-Handed by Maia Chance
Prue and Ophelia take on jobs as maids to the Coops, Americans who are traveling to their castle in Germany’s black forest. Almost as soon as they’ve arrived, a cottage is discovered on the property that looks like a dwarf cottage, and fairytale experts are brought in. The next day, Mr. Coop is poisoned with an apple. What have Prue and Ophelia gotten themselves into?

I love fairytales and fairytale reimaginings, so I had to give this cozy mystery series a try. It was so much fun. The story was fast paced, and the fairytale aspect provided a nice twist to the cozy formula. The characters were sharp as well, and the author made perfect use of a multiple viewpoint story. Can’t wait for the sequel.

Finished book #36 - The Islands at the End Of the World by Austin Aslan

I picked this book as I was vacationing in Hawaii & this book takes place in Hawaii. It's a YA book & I didn't really care for it much. It was interesting to read about what would happen to the people on the islands during a major catastrophe. The reason for the catastrophe was the part I found to be a stretch.

In this fast-paced survival story set in Hawaii, electronics fail worldwide, the islands become completely isolated, and a strange starscape fills the sky. Leilani and her father embark on a nightmare odyssey from Oahu to their home on the Big Island. Leilani's epilepsy holds a clue to the disaster, if only they can survive as the islands revert to earlier ways.

Finished book #37 - Princess of the Midnight Ball - by Jessica Day George

This is another YA book and I liked this one. It is a mystical, charming story that kept me reading it. I will check out the next book!

Rose is one of twelve princesses forced to dance through the night in an underground palace. The key to breaking the spell lies in magic knitting needles, an invisibility cloak, and—of course—true love. Inspired by "The Twelve Dancing Princesses,"this novel is as captivating as it is fresh.

#32/75

The Magician King by Lev Grossman
2/5 stars

Quentin and his friends are now the kings and queens of Fillory, but the days and nights of royal luxury are starting to pall. After a morning hunt takes a sinister turn, Quentin and his old friend Julia charter a magical sailing ship and set out on an errand to the wild outer reaches of their kingdom. Their pleasure cruise becomes an adventure when the two are unceremoniously dumped back into the last place Quentin ever wants to see: his parent's house in Chesterton, Massachusetts. And only the black, twisted magic that Julia learned on the streets can save them.

The Magician King is a grand voyage into the dark, glittering heart of magic, an epic quest for the Harry Potter generation. It also introduces a powerful new voice, that of Julia, whose angry genius is thrilling. Once again Grossman proves that he is the cutting edge of literary fantasy.

#33/75

The Candymaker by Wendy Mass
4/5 stars

Four children have been chosen to compete in a national competition to find the tastiest confection in the country. Who will invent a candy more delicious than the Oozing Crunchorama or the Neon Lightning Chew?

Logan, the Candymaker's son, who can detect the color of chocolate by touch alone?

Miles, the boy who is allergic to merry-go-rounds and the color pink?

Daisy, the cheerful girl who can lift a fifty-pound lump of taffy like it's a feather?

Or Philip, the suit-and-tie wearing boy who's always scribbling in a secret notebook?

#34/75
The Island Getaway by Loiuse Candlish
2/5 stars

Eleanor Blake, distraught after breaking up with her fiance Will, decides to do what most would scarcely dare: secretly follow him to the island hideaway where he's on holiday with the woman who took her place. But on the shimmering, sun-drenched Sicilian island of Panarea, distractions come in many forms - including her fellow hotel guest Lewis, an enigmatic Englishman with secrets of his own to protect. And then there's Frannie, a young Italian actress on the island to prepare for her first film role, who is as charming as she is beautiful. Can she really be so perfect? And shouldn't Eleanor be the first to suspect that things might not be as they seem?

#35/75
Revival by Stephen King
3/5 stars

In a small New England town, over half a century ago, a shadow falls over a small boy playing with his toy soldiers. Jamie Morton looks up to see a striking man, the new minister. Charles Jacobs, along with his beautiful wife, will transform the local church. The men and boys are all a bit in love with Mrs. Jacobs; the women and girls feel the same about Reverend Jacobs -- including Jamie's mother and beloved sister, Claire. With Jamie, the Reverend shares a deeper bond based on a secret obsession. When tragedy strikes the Jacobs family, this charismatic preacher curses God, mocks all religious belief, and is banished from the shocked town.

Jamie has demons of his own. Wed to his guitar from the age of thirteen, he plays in bands across the country, living the nomadic lifestyle of bar-band rock and roll while fleeing from his family's horrific loss. In his mid-thirties -- addicted to heroin, stranded, desperate -- Jamie meets Charles Jacobs again, with profound consequences for both men. Their bond becomes a pact beyond even the Devil's devising, and Jamie discovers that revival has many meanings.

#36/75
Frog Music by Emma Donoghue
3/5 stars

Summer of 1876: San Francisco is in the fierce grip of a record-breaking heat wave and a smallpox epidemic. Through the window of a railroad saloon, a young woman named Jenny Bonnet is shot dead.

The survivor, her friend Blanche Beunon, is a French burlesque dancer. Over the next three days, she will risk everything to bring Jenny's murderer to justice--if he doesn't track her down first. The story Blanche struggles to piece together is one of free-love bohemians, desperate paupers, and arrogant millionaires; of jealous men, icy women, and damaged children. It's the secret life of Jenny herself, a notorious character who breaks the law every morning by getting dressed: a charmer as slippery as the frogs she hunts.

Goal 72

#36 Raging Star by Moira Young

Last book in the Dustlands trilogy.
"The road has never been more dangerous, and betrayal lurks in the most unexpected places in the breataking conclusion to the Dust Lands Trilogy"

So, now the year is half over and I am half way to goal I am going to say my favorite book so far this year is:

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

And no resemblence to the other 'Shades of Gray', lol.

I am so late to this thread but I just started browsing the different forums instead of only clicking on the "new posts" tab when I log on so I'm hoping that it is OK to jump in now! I'm on Goodreads with a goal of 75 this year so I'll throw my hat in here staying with 75.

I'm currently reading Tom Sawyer aloud with the family. Our boys loved the island at WDW so much last spring that I wanted them to kind of have a deeper grasp this fall when we return. I've been begged to read a YA series, Fablehaven, by both of my sons and I've made it to book 4 of 7 in a month. It's really that good! And lastly, The Epcot Explorer's Encyclopedia. :coffee:

#15/30: Sweetwater by Christina Baker Kline

From goodreads: When a grandfather she never knew bequeaths her a house and 60 acres of land in Sweetwater, Tenn., a restless young artist leaves New York to recover her past and rethink her future. Cassie Simon's mother Ellen died when Cassie was only three; raised in Boston by her grieving father, she never knew her maternal relatives. Unprepared for the thick veil of mystery that surrounds them, Cassie is especially bewildered by her brusque grandmother, whom rumor credits with hiding a terrible secret about Ellen's death. In alternating sections told from their respective points of view, Cassie and her grandmother fight their separate battles to cope with the truth about the tragedy. Kline perfectly renders each woman's voice: Cassie's, probing and often uncertain, propels the narrative and creates an appropriate level of psychological suspense; the grandmother's quavers with the weight of memory as Cassie's search forces her beyond family myth to a painful and perhaps dangerous truth.
The result is a powerful, immensely readable tale of loyalty and betrayal, family and memory, made fresh by Kline's often beautiful and always lucid prose.

I give this 4 out of 5 stars. It was very good.

#17: Dr. Mütter's Marvels: A True Tale of Intrigue and Innovation at the Dawn of Modern Medicine by Cristin O'Keefe Aptowicz

From Goodreads: A mesmerizing biography of the brilliant and eccentric medical innovator who revolutionized American surgery and founded the country’s most famous museum of medical oddities

I loved it! It was so fascinating to see how treatments evolved. 5/5

#18: Broken Ferns by Toby Neal (Lei Crime Novel #4)

From Goodreads: The island of Oahu is warm breezes, skyscrapers and green mountains—but a daring young thief is out to make a statement, and Special Agent Lei Texeira’s new career is already on the line.

Lei Texeira has made a difficult transition from detective on Maui to the FBI on Oahu—and her first big case as an agent draws national media attention. With her typical jump-first, look-later style, she pursues her quarry from Oahu to the outer islands, rousing old conflicts and new heartbreak.

It's been awhile since I read the first three books, and I remember enjoying the setting, but being annoyed with the main character, Lei. The crime this time was not as violent, and I think Lei was much more sympathetic. I will most likely try the next one. 3/5

The Haunted
Bentley Little

The Perry family's new house is perfect-except for the weird behavior of the neighbors, and that odd smell coming from a dark corner in the basement. Pity no one warned the family about the house. Now it's too late. Because the darkness at the bottom of the basement stairs is rising.

This is the best book by this author that I have read so far. It was VERY creepy and there were a few nights that I had to put it down and read the rest of a scene when DH got home from work.:rotfl:

I've been on a horror kick lately! I don't think I have every read as many horror books as I have this year in my entire LIFE.:eek:

Book 23 of 46....Carolina Moon by Nora Roberts.

Finished this a couple weeks ago, late to post...as usual.

I love Nora Roberts in the summer because they're quick and I can pick one up when I have time without having to worry I'm going to lose the story if I'm busy for a few days.

This one follows Tory Bodeen, who comes back to her hometown to start a new business and deal with the ghosts of her past. Literally.

I enjoyed this book, but figured out whodunnit as soon as the offending character was introduced. Worth it though, for a quick read.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter