Another annoying "banked pts" question

disneyelaine

Mouseketeer
I am trying to plan a trip the week before Easter. I want to stay at Hilton Head & so far have booked 3 nights....Will try for the other 2 nights the next 2 days as it is the 7 mth booking window. In the meantime I am holding a reservation at VWL for those days (in case HH does not come thru and MS says the next 2 days to get HH will be iffy). My question is.....I used banked points for the VWL reservation and now they are using current points for the HH reservation. Well if HH comes thru can I use my banked points for that?? In other words will MS just flip flop it around so I only use my banked points? I'm a new member and just so afraid I will not use my points "right".

If you get your 2 days at HH (by calling day-by-day) you should be able to cancel one day at a time from your VWL reservation and use those same points for your HH reservation. Just make sure you're dialing as soon as Member Services opens!

Thanks Robin, but I did not cancel the other like you said I should. (day by day). I kept WVL just in case HH does not come thru. Was that my mistake? MS asked me if I wanted to cancel day by day. So MS won't just flip flop the points around if HH comes thru the next 2 days?

Any help? Thanks!

Ah! I think I get it. You booked the VWL for 5 days and you have 3 of the same days for HH. You don't want to cancel the days at VWL unless you get all 5 days at HH. You want MS to cancel your VWL reservation once you have your HH reservation and then have them use the VWL banked points on the HH reservation which has already used current points. *whew*

Sorry, I'm not sure that MS can do this for you. You will have to talk to them after you get your HH reservation in it's entirety. My gut feeling is that they can't :(. I don't know if canceling day-by-day was really the right thing to do or not since you might have been left with some days at VWL and some at HH. Since you say the MS says that getting the last 2 days is "iffy" maybe you'll just end up at the VWL anyway and you won't have this headache.

They should be able to reallocate your reservation. I have a friend who had a reservation at HH with OKW points and then bought more HH points. They were able to switch the points around so that she would be using the new HH points and could save the OKW points for her OKW reservation next June.

Debbie,

The points you friend switched, were they from different contracts, or the same? In other words; did she have two different member numbers or was one an add on from the original contract?

I hope I made sense...

I'm new to this, too, so maybe this is a silly question.

Don't members do what disneyelaine is doing when they are trying to book at a resort other than their home? I guess what I'm asking is don't people book at their home resort at the 11 month window for a time when they really want to vacation, and then at the 7 month window try to switch to another resort??? But at least try to have a vacation at that original specific time?

I'm happy at my home resort for now, but plan to try to do something similar to disneyelaine in the future. Excuse me if I'm being redundant with this post........thanks for the clarification!

disneyelaine, I was in a similar situation this past year. I made reservations for May at BWV for a 2 bedroom and a studio. Subsequently, I made reservations at VB for a 1 bedroom in March. In February, part of my group for the May trip backed out. When I went to cancel the studio, I wanted to bank the unused points. MS explained I couldn't because I had already used banked points from previous year. Anyway, after several communications via email and telephone, they finally "switched" the points around on the two reservations so I did not lose any points and was able to apply the banked points to the March reservation and bank the unused current points. Confusing? Yes, but the final outcome was MS got it done! Good luck in getting your HH reservation!

Yes - once you are all set on what you want to do, you can "reallocate" your points and use your borrowed ones first. I just did it.

Thank you all. bjcgl, it is exactly as you say. MS told me this morning they will reallocate the points when my reservation is complete. No problem! Too easy! My biggest fear is I will somehow someday "lose" my points by banking "wrong". Had a very nice man at MS this morning told me I could get my final HH day tomorrow only if I call at 9am! I will! Wish me Luck! I just love DVC! Figuring use of these points & where to stay & when is so much fun.

I'm so glad that everything turned out OK! You learn something new everyday :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter