Another bad thing disney is doing...closing vmk.com

glitzybabes

I miss VMK!!!
If you dont know vmk.com stands for vitural magic kingdom. it is an online game like commuity for children and adult. people are so bad that they are closing it. people are willing to pay. Here is the reason they gave for closing it...
As many of you know, Virtual Magic Kingdom was created and launched back in 2005 as part of the Disneyland 50th Anniversary Celebration. VMK exceeded expectations in terms of performance, and as a result we extended the promotion (that is, VMK, the game) well beyond the 50th Celebration.

Eventually though, all promotions must come to an end, so I'm announcing today that on May 21, 2008, VMK will open our virtual gates for the last time. You read that right: VMK was never intended to last forever – we'll close the game for good at the end of day on May 21st, 2008.

This is not an April Fool's joke.

Now we understand this news may be upsetting to you but let me explain. Again, VMK was launched as part of Disneyland's 50th Celebration in 2005 and the game has lived well beyond the originally intended time it was planned to run.

Over time you've seen our in-Park presence and other parts of VMK go away. You may remember our V.I.P Tours at Disneyland and Walt Disney World, or our in-Park Quest. We didn't stop doing those things because we don't love the game or our Guests, but because the time to run those promotions ended.

At Disney we're still committed to building communities and online virtual worlds – and we're looking forward to providing you the opportunity to enjoy other exciting new experiences.

Don't look at VMK ending as a bad thing – think of it as a new beginning, a chance to explore something fresh and new! Think of it like school: You don't want to leave your old friends, but still, the time has come to graduate and move onto another great adventure.

In the time since we've launched VMK, we've seen many players come and go, and we're hoping you will graduate from VMK too – in particular, to games like Pirates of the Caribbean Online, Disney's ToonTown Online, Club Penguin and the upcoming Fairies and Cars online virtual worlds. We think you'll find you enjoy those just as much as VMK – if not more.

Im so sad that they are closing.
vmk-magicastlequeen

Probably because its free and Disney is beginning to want money for everything.

I agree that it is a shame that VMK is shutting down. Weeks of summer holidays waiting for it to hit 3pm GMT (7am EST) every day so I could play some Haunted Mansion, and get those awesome virtual pins and quests. Although, it was only a promotion and if it's time to go, it's time to go, nothing lasts forever. I presume most players are going to go over to the Pirates of the Caribbean game.

My DD-11 is going to be so bummed. She LOVES VMK. Oy.

I'm going to have to take her to the real Magic Kingdom to get her fix. :)

I'm going to have to take her to the real Magic Kingdom to get her fix

honestly - this was what VMK was for me and my 13 year old son....a way to revisit Magic Kingdom without actually being therer. the other online games they mention we have both played, but they just don't cut it for getting that "exploring Magic Kingdom" feeling.

sorry to hear it is going.

My ds is going to be disappointed. He even introduced a few of his friends to it.
Club penguin is just boring even for the younger ones, but I'm a mean mom and won't let them join since we have webkinz laying all over the house!

If it's any consolation, Disney will be opening a Disney Fairies virtual world that you can play around in. My daughters have already designed their own fairies.

Disney needs to come out with a game - much like SimCity - start out with the latest existing grounds of Disney World Resort and be able to expand open a "4th gate", new rides, raise stroller prices, etc... I think that would be great. You can get your Disney fix! I could see myself playing this for hours:thumbsup2

Stroller prices was a jk. Just know that I think Disney is crazy for what they are doing! Not trying to change the purpose of this thread - just wanted to make it that clear! ;)

I've been unhappy about this as well.

I did talk with a friend of mine who works for Disney online games (I'd prefer not to say who) who stated they have known about this for at least a week. Even the HOST's and VMK staff were not notified ahead of time because they did not want to upset the employees. Those employees actually work for Sulake, the company that created VMK. Even Yavn himself hasn't been around for some time, with someone else writing his Yavn Speaks updates. Was I the only one who noticed Yavn's messages changing in tone?

Anyway, my friend told me that the chances of the petitions, emails, and phone messages actually working is equivalent to trying to tear down a stone wall with your bare hands. It's sort of like when a show is cancelled. All the people working on it have been reassigned. There's no chance of a paying version, unfortunately. Instead, Disney is trying to push Pirates Online, Toontown, and the new games, Fairies and Cars, all games that will be pay-to-play and nothing like the VMK we love.

Anyway, I didn't mean to ramble, but I was also told this game was always meant to be promotional and that it wouldn't last forever. While I knew that all along, I never really believed they'd end it. With the countless man hours of designing and coding to create the game, you think they would come up with some working solution instead of scrapping it completely. I feel bad for the people who spent all that time designing.

I also feel bad for all of us playing. We spent a lot of time working on rooms, playing games for credits, amassing "stuff" in a game that, in the end, didn't really matter. Feel a little bit foolish too, truth be told. I don't regret it; I made some amazing friends who have turned into real friends and some others who I will talk to for years to come.

By the way, I think the real reason the game is ending (and my friend eluded to this) is that they can't continue to run it as-is without going into the red. Cutting off the dead limbs of the tree that produce no fruit, so to speak.
/end rant/whine ;)

I am so sad about this!! I love that game! I haven't been on in awhile, but it is great!! I agree it was almost a way to explore the park and take a virtual vacay there!! I sure hope they come up with something like it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter