Another CBR vs. POP Question

Nov2020Traveler

Earning My Ears
I know this question gets asked frequently, so I apologize for another thread. But I haven't seen this specific question asked, so hopefully I can get some help.

I'm going to be coming to WDW this November 16-21 with my 12 y/o son and have a Preferred Room at Pop already booked. The purpose of the trip will be largely a pre-teenager years father-son bonding trip. The last time both of us were at Disney was 2012, so he was quite young. And this trip will not be something we will be doing often, as we are a family of 6 and typically do Europe trips for "family" vacations. Knowing my son (and myself), we will largely be in the parks for most of the day. Likely only returning to the room for some mid-day rest. But this trip is very much a first for us, I can't say this plan will stick, so we may want some "resort time" to get away from the hustle and bustle of the parks.

So, on to my question. I've been working on my budget and am now considering CBR to "splurge" a little for this trip. But in looking at the map of CBR, the resort looks HUGE. I would likely be booking a "Standard" room at CBR and the potential to be given a room in one of the eastern parts ( like the Martinique section) is sort of scary to me. It looks like it's a hike to the Skyliner from them. Building 39 in the Trinidad section seems like it's way out of the way. So I guess my question is to those that know this resort well, is is that the case? It's difficult to gauge distance on the resort maps, so maybe the walk isn't too much. I also realize that a lot of walking is expected at WDW, so a little more once we get back to the resort is expected.

The price difference between the POP Preferred and CBR Standard is about $60 a night. I recognize they are in two different categories and we shouldn't expect the same level of service from POP as we'd get at CBR. But if ease of transportation is a key-factor for us, does it seem more logical to stick with POP, which seems to be more compact, doesn't share a bus with another resort, still on the skyliner, and only has one bus stop at the resort? Or are the details, transportation logistics, and beauty of CBR enough to warrant making the switch?

Last edited:
The worst transportation we ever experienced onsite was at CBR. We stayed at POP last May (pre-skyliner) and the buses were great. I would stick with POP. I don't think the rooms/level of service is any better at CBR than POP either.

We did a split stay between Pop and CBR in Oct/Nov of 2019. You've pretty much listed all the pros and cons in your post. At Pop, I enjoy even a standard view room isn't a terrible walk to the bus or skyliner. I appreciate the single bus stop and that you don't share. It's a fun place to stay but it doesn't have a hot tub and it is not as beautiful as CBR.

I really enjoyed CBR and it was beautiful. We stayed in a standard room in Aruba. We were right next to the skyliner but it was a lengthy but pleasant walk to the main pool and food court area. I could deal with that but I did not like how long it took on the bus system at CBR to get to the parks that were not skyliner. I guess I felt a bit spoiled but the one stop at POP in this regard.

So it just depends on what's more important to you and your stay! I think you've chosen two great places and you'll enjoy either.

I know this question gets asked frequently, so I apologize for another thread. But I haven't seen this question asked, so hopefully I can get some help.

I'm going to be coming to WDW this November 16-21 with my 12 y/o son and have a Preferred Room at Pop already booked. The purpose of the trip will be largely a pre-teenager years father-son bonding trip. The last time both of us were at Disney was 2012, so he was quite young. And this trip will not be something we will be doing often, as we are a family of 6 and typically do Europe trips for "family" vacations. Knowing my son (and myself), we will largely be in the parks for most of the day. Likely only returning to the room for some mid-day rest. But this trip is very much a first for us, I can't say this plan will stick, so we may want some "resort time" to get away from the hustle and bustle of the parks.

So, on to my question. I've been working on my budget and am now considering CBR to "splurge" a little for this trip. But in looking at the map of CBR, the resort looks HUGE. I would likely be booking a "Standard" room at CBR and the potential to be given a room in one of the eastern parts ( like the Martinique section) is sort of scary to me. It looks like it's a hike to the Skyliner from them. Building 39 in the Trinidad section seems like it's way out of the way. So I guess my question is to those that know this resort well, is is that the case? It's difficult to gauge distance on the resort maps, so maybe the walk isn't too much. I also realize that a lot of walking is expected at WDW, so a little more once we get back to the resort is expected.

The price difference between the POP Preferred and CBR Standard is about $60 a night. I recognize they are in two different categories and we shouldn't expect the same level of service from POP as we'd get at CBR. But if ease of transportation is a key-factor for us, does it seem more logical to stick with POP, which seems to be more compact, doesn't share a bus with another resort, still on the skyliner, and only has one bus stop at the resort? Or are the details, transportation logistics, and beauty of CBR enough to warrant making the switch?

CBR rooms will be a bit bigger and there is a slide and hot tub. If those things are important to you, stick with CBR. Otherwise, I’d stick with Pop and try to book a standard room for even more savings.

You should expect the same level of service at both resorts. :)

I know this question gets asked frequently, so I apologize for another thread. But I haven't seen this specific question asked, so hopefully I can get some help.

I'd go with Pop. We've stayed at both and CBR is the only resort I really dont think I'd go back to. I just don't like the setup at all. It's too big and just a pain in my opinion.

Having stayed at both we much prefer CBR. The bigger rooms, nicer pool (in our opinion), every village has it's own bus stop and leisure pool so you're never far from either, and the more relaxed laid back vibe is such a nice change from the craziness of the parks.

I'm a bit jealous. WDW back when our son was 12 still holds some of our most cherished memories. A great age to go :) I love the CBR refurb and it's a bit nicer resort but you probably won't be spending much time daily at your resort anyway. You'll likely be on the go and in adventure mode. And if you can find time to set aside to enjoy the resort, you really can spend it at any resort.

Maybe plan a visit to the Poly to go eat lunch and use the volcano pool one afternoon as 2 hr break on your MK day, just pack your swim trunks. Or rent a boat or Sea Raycer (12yo can drive!) from Bayside Marina just outside Epcot's Int'l Gateway, $32/30mins. How cool would it feel to pilot your own boat around WDW at 12 yo? $60/day could fund more experience elsewhere. I think mini-excursions are awesome to make a trip unique.

https://allears.net/walt-disney-wor...sneys-boardwalk-and-in-the-epcot-resort-area/

I'm a bit jealous. WDW back when our son was 12 still holds some of our most cherished memories. A great age to go :) I love the CBR refurb and it's a bit nicer resort but you probably won't be spending much time daily at your resort anyway. You'll likely be on the go and in adventure mode. And if you can find time to set aside to enjoy the resort, you really can spend it at any resort.

Maybe plan a visit to the Poly to go eat lunch and use the volcano pool one afternoon as 2 hr break on your MK day, just pack your swim trunks. Or rent a boat or Sea Raycer (12yo can drive!) from Bayside Marina just outside Epcot's Int'l Gateway, $32/30mins. How cool would it feel to pilot your own boat around WDW at 12 yo? $60/day could fund more experience elsewhere. I think mini-excursions are awesome to make a trip unique.

https://allears.net/walt-disney-wor...sneys-boardwalk-and-in-the-epcot-resort-area/
If you’re not staying at Poly you can’t use the volcano pool. It has a gate that only works with your band linked to your Poly reservation.

Maybe plan a visit to the Poly to go eat lunch and use the volcano pool one afternoon as 2 hr break on your MK day, just pack your swim trunks.
Pool hopping is not allowed.

OP, one other advantage of CBR is that you're at the main station for the Skyliner. You simply hop on the DHS line or hop on the Epcot line and don't have to exit and transfer lines like you do at Pop. Transferring is not a huge deal, but its just nice to board at that main hub already. At CBR, you also have the option to board the Skyliner at the Riviera station which is closer walking distance from some of the villages on the east side of the resort, so it would save you from a potential long hike to the CBR station if you do happen to end up on that side. Lastly, being walking distance to Riviera opens up a few other dining options outside of the ones at CBR.

I am a huge fan of Pop. We have never had a single complaint. We like taking the AoA bus back after we are done at the parks (if it is a shorter line) and have a late night snack there before walking to the Pop. I can't comment on CBR, it was 2003 when we stayed there and it is totally different. We did like it though.

Pool hopping is not allowed.

OP, one other advantage of CBR is that you're at the main station for the Skyliner. You simply hop on the DHS line or hop on the Epcot line and don't have to exit and transfer lines like you do at Pop. Transferring is not a huge deal, but its just nice to board at that main hub already. At CBR, you also have the option to board the Skyliner at the Riviera station which is closer walking distance from some of the villages on the east side of the resort, so it would save you from a potential long hike to the CBR station if you do happen to end up on that side. Lastly, being walking distance to Riviera opens up a few other dining options outside of the ones at CBR.

Thanks for clarifying. I had pool hopping confused from within DVC.

Certain pools cannot be 'hopped' and Poly is one of them.

Right. To further clarify, pool hopping is not permitted for anyone staying non-DVC.
The 3 All Stars can hop between themselves and both Port Orleans resorts can hop each other. I'm surprised, I thought there were more hopping options currently.

Well even without using the Pool the Poly can be a fun resort to visit. You can have lunch and visit the Marina there :earsboy:

The 3 All Stars can hop between themselves and both Port Orleans resorts can hop each other. I'm surprised, I thought there were more hopping options currently.

Well even without using the Pool the Poly can be a fun resort to visit. You can have lunch and visit the Marina there :earsboy:
Those resorts are sister resorts. The OP is considering CBR or Pop, which don't have sister resorts that can be pool-hopped to. But I agree that the Poly is always a great place to visit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter