• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another dating question: Have you ever asked the asker what their career is before accepting a date and turned them down because of it?

Another dating question: Have you ever asked the asker what their career is before accepting a date?

• Yes

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • No

Votes: 40 85.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

Buzz Rules

To Infinity and Beyond
Another dating question: Have you ever asked the asker what their career is before accepting a date and turned them down because of it?

Well, I've never turned down a date based on their job, I just become too busy to be available for a date. I know myself well enough and I know the "type" of person what I work well with. I will say I'v become highly selective in whom I spend time with....maybe that's why I am HappilySIngle, which is actually incorrect. I've been in a situationship for many years on and off.

No.

Again. This stuff boils down to where you meet people. You say you’re really religious. A singles group at your church should be a good way to meet new people. And you can figure this out before you even ask them out.

Why is this a big deal? Why does it matter?

No.

Again. This stuff boils down to where you meet people. You say you’re really religious. A singles group at your church should be a good way to meet new people. And you can figure this out before you even ask them out.

Why is this a big deal? Why does it matter?
This was just a random question, not anything related to me.

I mean, no, but if I ever date in the future I might.

There are certain careers that I do not want to be married to. It was hard enough being a military spouse. I would never do that again, for example. Basically, any job that has the potential to cause PTSD, no thanks. That's a rough thing to have to endure as a partner.

Hopefully I will never have to date again. I'm happily married. And I'm not sure I'd ever want to be partnered up again if my husband passes away.

I said other, because as I remember it, I can’t recall ever being asked out by a total stranger that I had absolutely no information about. I’d use everything I knew about a person (including their job, if it mattered) to decide if I was interested in a date or not. Now remember, this was in pre-internet dating days, so you mostly had to actually meet and talk to people face-to-face.

Had to vote other because I married my childhood sweetheart - he was the one for me, no matter his profession. But boy, this thread makes me happy to have not had to date in the traditional way!

Now remember, this was in pre-internet dating days, so you mostly had to actually meet and talk to people face-to-face.

You’d think that internet dating would make it easier but it doesn’t. Very little dating happens with internet dating sites. You swipe or like and maybe message but rarely does anyone actually meet in person. I think the old fashioned way was more likely to produce actual relationships.

I am not sure- I mean if "hunter" was a profession then nope- would never date one (wouldn't even date anyone that did it recreationally) - but if you are talking like dating a blue collar worker that I would not care about- heck I was one LOL- but I would not date anyone that did NOT have a job.

You’d think that internet dating would make it easier but it doesn’t. Very little dating happens with internet dating sites. You swipe or like and maybe message but rarely does anyone actually meet in person. I think the old fashioned way was more likely to produce actual relationships.

My daughter met her soon to be husband on Tinder- most of her friends all met their boyfriends on there too.

My daughter met her soon to be husband on Tinder- most of her friends all met their boyfriends on there too.

Not my experience nor anyone I’ve met. But the difference might be dating in your 50’s vs 20’s. Also could be living in a rural area vs a larger area. Less options, less likely to find someone.

Not my experience nor anyone I’ve met. But the difference might be dating in your 50’s vs 20’s. Also could be living in a rural area vs a larger area. Less options, less likely to find someone.

I don't know. My best friend lives in Chicago. Like, in the middle of the city. She's had no luck (and she is beautiful and an amazing person). I think the age more than anything makes it hard to find people that are serious about relationships. I mean, she FINDS and meets guys, but they all have SO much baggage. It's ridiculous. She is 45.

I never have. I feel it’s more important that the person enjoy their work than what the nature of that work is. So long as they are ambitious enough to pursue their passion, I think that is great.

However, I probably wouldn’t gravitate toward someone who had a career where we had to be separated a lot, as I do not do well with long distance relationships. But that would be an issue with me, not them.

When I was dating as an adult, I always knew the person beforehand. We were either friends or acquaintances, so I always knew what they did for a living and what kind of person they were. I have never dated someone who just came up and introduced themselves, not saying I never would have, just never experienced that. I was dating before all this social media and swiping and all that; thank God I'm done with all of that. Would I in the future? I don't think so. I have no more interest in dating or a relationship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter