• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

(Another) ECV question

karensi

My Family and Disney are my two favorite things!
Hi, I'm a long time Disser, but first time on the disAbilities board :wave2:
I have a kind of urgent question as we ae leaving for WDW this evening.
I fell and hurt my knee yesterday :sad2: I haven't gone to the doctors as 1) I don't havetime right now and 2) this happens to me once in awhile......my knee seems to be my weak spot and I just usually use a knee support brace, take Motrin and grin and bear it for as long as it takes.
Anyway, I didn;t know how I was going to make out hobbling around the world until my DD suggested we rent an ECV. OK, great suggestion, but now I don't know....do I need a doctors note (no time for that )?

Just for the record, I definately wouldn't be using it to get to the front of the line (we're fine with waiting on line and I can stand for awhile....it's the walking that really hurts), but do I have to try and squeeze in a doctors appoint tomorow before we leave in the afternoon for a note, or do they not require one?

TIA :flower3:,

Karen

ECVs can be rented by anyone. No doctor's note is required for an ECV. In fact, they are not even allowed to ask for one. I would suggest you rent from an offsite company though. Walker's Mobility is the one we always use for my mom. That way you would have the ECV for the resort, DTD, and to get to and from the parks (it is sometimes a long walk from the buses to the front gate of the parks and then back at night). Also if you have the ECV on the bus, there is no way you would have to be one of the ones standing. Possibly having to stand on a moving bus would obviously not be good for your knee. Plus the smaller 3 wheel off site ECVs are easier to drive than the big four wheel ones that Disney rents.

Thank you aubriee,
Actually I'm glad that you mentioned the bus, because after reading here about how they only allow very few ECVs on a bus at any given time, I just wanted to take the opprtunity to say that we have our own transportation and will not be using the bus system.
Also, wouldn't even need to take up a specially designated ECV/wheelchair spot in a show. I am able to stand for awhile (just put most of the weight on my "good" leg) and I can walk a short distance (into a show/attraction) I just am not able at this time to walk more than what would equal maybe a block without being in serious pain :eek:

I'm glad to hear I won't have to add going to the doctor onto my list of "things to do" tomorow before we leave.
I will probably just go ahead and rent from the (Disney) park as this situation came up so last minute we really haven't had time to look into anything else.
Anyway, I think that will work fine for what I need.

Thanks again for your quick reply.
One less thing to worry about :thumbsup2

Karen :)

As others have said, you don't need a doctor's note.

You don't need to worry about going to the front of the line because ecvs are mostly mainstreamed-they go in the same line as everyone else. Only kids on their wish trips go to the front. Be prepared to actually wait a little longer than "normal" at some attractions as they can only load a few people who might need assistance (in case of emergency) at a time.

Be sure to get a "guide for people with disabilities" at each park. That will be a great help.

Thank you aubriee,
Actually I'm glad that you mentioned the bus, because after reading here about how they only allow very few ECVs on a bus at any given time, I just wanted to take the opprtunity to say that we have our own transportation and will not be using the bus system.
Also, wouldn't even need to take up a specially designated ECV/wheelchair spot in a show. I am able to stand for awhile (just put most of the weight on my "good" leg) and I can walk a short distance (into a show/attraction) I just am not able at this time to walk more than what would equal maybe a block without being in serious pain :eek:

I'm glad to hear I won't have to add going to the doctor onto my list of "things to do" tomorow before we leave.
I will probably just go ahead and rent from the (Disney) park as this situation came up so last minute we really haven't had time to look into anything else.
Anyway, I think that will work fine for what I need.

Thanks again for your quick reply.
One less thing to worry about :thumbsup2

Karen :)

Renting at the parks is much more expensive, $45 per day plus a $20 deposit :scared1: And there is always the chance that they will run out before you get there... not likely at this time of year, but possible.

Renting off property is only $30 a day and they provide delivery to your resort as well as pick up. As others have said, the 3 wheel ECV's handle much better than the 4 wheelers in the parks.

Just something for you to consider ... I don't think it is too late to investigate offsite rentals company's... the sticky on this board will list several for you to try.

Sorry to hear about your knee :sad2: but hope you have a great time all the same! pixiedust:

Renting at the parks is much more expensive, $45 per day plus a $20 deposit :scared1: And there is always the chance that they will run out before you get there... not likely at this time of year, but possible.

Renting off property is only $30 a day and they provide delivery to your resort as well as pick up. As others have said, the 3 wheel ECV's handle much better than the 4 wheelers in the parks.

Just something for you to consider ... I don't think it is too late to investigate offsite rentals company's... the sticky on this board will list several for you to try.

Sorry to hear about your knee :sad2: but hope you have a great time all the same! pixiedust:

Also Walker's Mobility is running a special right now of $25.00/day. At least I think the special is still running. I know that's what we are paying for my mom's ECV in Dec and he gives discounts for 1/2 days if you are arriving after lunch or leaving fairly early (before 2:00pm).

Just echoing what the others posted.

You don't need a doctor's note.

You probably can still call one of the rental places. Let them know you will need one that can be broken down to fit in your vehicle.

If you are driving, make sure to tell the parking lot CMs that you have an ECV, but don't have a handicapped parking permit. They will send you to an appropriate place to park.

In most cases, the lines are mainstreamed and people with wheelchairs/ECVs wait with everyone else. Be cautious about parking and walking in. Some of the attrarctions are a very long walk, even if the wait is short. Soarin', Pirates, and bug's Life are some notable long walks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter