• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another Hotel thread!

NJlauren

DIS Veteran
I know there are a ton of hotel threads already but I was hoping people could help me make a final call, or at least narrow it down more.

I was leaning towards a Disney hotel and while that's still an option I would like people's opinions on the good neighbor hotels.

Historically I'm not too picky about hotels, however now having my DD with me I am being a little pickier.

Requirements and facts 3 days 3 nights Tuesday - Thursday (subject to change). I want to be in walking distance to the parks and would prefer a hotel with some food options on site.

I'm leaning towards the Howard Johnson, anyone have any opinions on that or other options?

ETA: DD will be 22 months at time of travel and we may use the pool.

ETA: currently looking to travel in May

Last edited:
We stayed at Park Vue Inn last summer its as close as you can get!! They have a good free breakfast with biscuits and gravy one day and breakfast potatoes and stuff they switch what they have every other day! Free parking free wifi and there is an ice cream place in the front (Cold Stone Creamery) and its actually closer than I think all of the Disney properties...I had started looking for other places for next summer but I just can't seem to find something I like better so we will be staying again next summer :)

With a Disney hotel, you get access to EMH (maybe something you'd find beneficial since you'll only be there for three days). The theming also can't be beat and you don't ever have to leave the "Disney bubble."

Good Neighbors are definitely a decent option when it comes to price and proximity, but I feel like you do lose something heading out to grimy Harbor Blvd. after your day in the impeccable parks.

Among Good Neighbors, we've stayed at the Fairfield, Carousel, and Camelot, and I would recommend the Fairfield the highest out of those. I always hear good things about the HoJo—but you do definitely pay a premium for its water park-style pool.

Harbor is "grimey"? I guess most places are compared to Disney parks, lol.

I feel like you do lose something heading out to grimy Harbor Blvd. after your day in the impeccable parks.

From our very recent trip, I'm laughing at the idea that the parks are impeccable.

Sigh.

'twas a lousy trip.

Give me Harbor and Katella over being in the parks!

OP I'd go for something like Tropicana. You're *right there*, no mall (DTD) to go through, easy peasy.

Harbor is "grimey"? I guess most places are compared to Disney parks, lol.
There are UN-grimey place on Harbor.

I can stay on Harbor for a fraction of the cost compared to a Disney hotel.
I have three nights booked at the Tropicana for the grand total of $417. While it may not have the "Disney Bubble" It's clean, close, safe and affordable.
Staying on Harbor for me can make the difference of going vs not going to Disneyland.

I haven't stayed at the Howard Johnson's so I can't help you there.

Geemo

We stayed at Candy Cane Inn on our last trip. Has free parking, free shuttle but is also a fairly close walk (about 15 minutes). Breakfast is a little limited though.

There's nothing grimy about Harbor. It's decorated and maintained (power washed every night, landscaping manicured, etc) to Disney standards.

No food AT HoJo's although your little one will love the little water park they have. You do walk right past the Pizza Press, which we LOVE. And I think there is a McDonald's and a Mimi's Cafe still on the way to HoJo. I would prefer to stay a bit closer to the crosswalk though, especially with a child that young. There are a couple food options just south of the crosswalk as well.

Wow! Thank you everyone!!

We stayed at Park Vue Inn last summer its as close as you can get!! They have a good free breakfast with biscuits and gravy one day and breakfast potatoes and stuff they switch what they have every other day! Free parking free wifi and there is an ice cream place in the front (Cold Stone Creamery) and its actually closer than I think all of the Disney properties...I had started looking for other places for next summer but I just can't seem to find something I like better so we will be staying again next summer :)

This all sounds very nice! Except for the cold stone part... I need less reasons to eat more ice cream on vacation! Going to research it some more! Thank you!

With a Disney hotel, you get access to EMH (maybe something you'd find beneficial since you'll only be there for three days). The theming also can't be beat and you don't ever have to leave the "Disney bubble."

Good Neighbors are definitely a decent option when it comes to price and proximity, but I feel like you do lose something heading out to grimy Harbor Blvd. after your day in the impeccable parks.

Among Good Neighbors, we've stayed at the Fairfield, Carousel, and Camelot, and I would recommend the Fairfield the highest out of those. I always hear good things about the HoJo—but you do definitely pay a premium for its water park-style pool.

Thank you! I'm worried about leaving the bubble, but saving some money would be a benefit!

There are UN-grimey place on Harbor.

I can stay on Harbor for a fraction of the cost compared to a Disney hotel.
I have three nights booked at the Tropicana for the grand total of $417. While it may not have the "Disney Bubble" It's clean, close, safe and affordable.
Staying on Harbor for me can make the difference of going vs not going to Disneyland.

I haven't stayed at the Howard Johnson's so I can't help you there.

Geemo

Do you like the Tropicana?

There's nothing grimy about Harbor. It's decorated and maintained (power washed every night, landscaping manicured, etc) to Disney standards.

Good to know! Thank you!

No food AT HoJo's although your little one will love the little water park they have. You do walk right past the Pizza Press, which we LOVE. And I think there is a McDonald's and a Mimi's Cafe still on the way to HoJo. I would prefer to stay a bit closer to the crosswalk though, especially with a child that young. There are a couple food options just south of the crosswalk as well.

No food is a negative, not sure why I thought Mimi's was at the HoJo! Thank you!

I like the Hilton and towers and sometimes they have GREAT deals, like $100. or less. This time I'm staying at the majestic which used to be a Sheraton. Very nice, big rooms, restaurant on site, and dedicated shuttle which is wonderful at night. $119.00 a night.

We like the Tropicana and Camelot Inn. Both are fine with kids. Tropicana has a coffee shop but there Pizza Press very close along with a few other restaurants. While staying onsite is nice the cost difference is huge.

I like the Hilton and towers and sometimes they have GREAT deals, like $100. or less. This time I'm staying at the majestic which used to be a Sheraton. Very nice, big rooms, restaurant on site, and dedicated shuttle which is wonderful at night. $119.00 a night.

Thank you! Are these both walkable?

We like the Tropicana and Camelot Inn. Both are fine with kids. Tropicana has a coffee shop but there Pizza Press very close along with a few other restaurants. While staying onsite is nice the cost difference is huge.

Thank you!

I've stayed at Hojo's 3 times and love it! I love the service, the MCM architecture, and the view...and it's a quick walk. Rooms are clean and nice, Pool is great for kids. Mimi's is right next door for food.
I'm trying the brand new Courtyard in October (marriott points).
Have a great trip!

Aren't there new hotels that are going to be opening by then within walking distance? I can't remember their names, and I'd love to google search them if anyone could tell me :) Thanks

I would go with Candy Cane Inn. Small pool for the toddler, close by and a free shuttle. Parking, Wi-fi and breakfast included. We just had my DGS (19 months) there and it was perfect. Rooms are clean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter