Another perfume vent

I agree that you can't please everyone and that obviously many people enjoy the smells of laundry products. (So much that they now market scent boosters so you can smell like laundry longer.) However, I would hope this thread would bring at least some awareness that if other people mention that they smell you from a distance that it's a possibility there are also some other people not enjoying it. Do what you may with that info. I've certainly never had any one person smell like laundry from 50 ft away so that's not at all what I started this thread over. If I lived near you I'd simply close my windows when you did laundry or step a bit further away rather than saying anything. An annoyance that any neighbor might experience on occasion, similar to if my dog was barking.

I have never told anyone they smell like Tide or Downy (both well known and popular simply for being strong smelling) despite smelling it frequently and recognizing it because of my own issues. I think most normal people have a tendency to comment on minor pleasant things they notice, but not on minor things they find unpleasant. That's why I chose to discuss this on an anonymous forum.

I just remembered a story about smells to share. I once went to choir practice and had the person next to me comment on what I smelled like. Embarrassing! I had prepared and eaten "San Francisco style pork chops" which is a favorite recipe of mine that I happen to think smells wonderful. This person did too and wanted the recipe. To me, that was a reminder to never make that again on a night I was going out where people would have to sit next to me because obviously I smelled strongly of it. I had brushed my teeth, etc. but it must have been emanating from my clothes,skin, whatever. I can love a smell, but not want people around me to have to smell it. Not everyone appreciates the same smells. On something like choir night, where people can't move away from me, I'm particularly careful. Going to the grocery store, I can have a larger radius.

Feel free to stop reading if I'm driving you nuts. This is what happens when you haven't left the house for days, can't sleep and are hyped up on medications that are essentially stimulants! I do realize I'm a tad manic about it all right now. Despite the emotions associated with this thread I've appreciated the civil conversation about a topic that is important to me and the support of the DIS community during a discouraging week.

I am not sensitive to perfume in that I have asthma or other breathing issues but I’d rather smell a little sweat than a lot of perfume.
Disagree on this one. Body odors cause me to gag. Literally. I would take any Coty perfume over sweat and what not.

When I fly I Always hit the duty free and spray a protective cloud over me. Sat too many times next to smelly people.

Lately we ( my friend and I) have all laughing in our town about one of the mothers in our kids school. She now has a perfume allergy which is BS in our opinion. She’s one of those natural, organic, no make up kind of moms , if you know what I mean. Our kids are all friends and it’s usually tradition that for birthday gifts you give cash and a small item. The small item with the girls is usually some type of a shower gel and body lotion. Well her daughter just recently told everyone that she’s not allowed to get that because her mom has a scent allergy. Which is total BS. This mom is just using this as an excuse that we do not buy her non-organic type shower gels.But she’s OK using organic shower gel. Which is also BS We have a doctor friend who is also an allergist he said that actually organic shower gels can be more allergic as scents are natural. so let’s say you have a Lemon or lavender allergy and organic shower gel with those plant based scents that is more allergic than Shower gels with synthetic scents.

Last edited:
I just remembered a story about smells to share. I once went to choir practice and had the person next to me comment on what I smelled like. Embarrassing! I had prepared and eaten "San Francisco style pork chops" which is a favorite recipe of mine that I happen to think smells wonderful. This person did too and wanted the recipe. To me, that was a reminder to never make that again on a night I was going out where people would have to sit next to me because obviously I smelled strongly of it. I had brushed my teeth, etc. but it must have been emanating from my clothes,skin, whatever. I can love a smell, but not want people around me to have to smell it. Not everyone appreciates the same smells. On something like choir night, where people can't move away from me, I'm particularly careful. Going to the grocery store, I can have a larger radius.

Any chance you'd be willing to share that pork chop recipe?? I'm NOT allergic to pork chops. :D

When I fly I Always hit the duty free and spray a protective cloud over me.

Yikes! I certainly sympathize about smelly people you can't escape because that's kind of what this whole thread is about, but that could backfire some day if a plane you're on has to divert due to an emergency landing. Maybe a mask with some of your favorite fragrance lightly dabbed inside could be a great solution for you? That way you'd have relief but there wouldn't be another "smelly person."

And I certainly don't think you owe anyone's daughter organic shower gels. Are they more expensive? Wouldn't a different small gift be easy to substitute? Why is this an issue even if you have decided mom is making up a pretend allergy? Are the girls upset?

Good grief - I had to come back and edit for the most embarrassing typo. I used the wrong "you're" and only noticed when I was quoted. ARGG.

Last edited:
Any chance you'd be willing to share that pork chop recipe?? I'm NOT allergic to pork chops. :D

:jester: I got it from a free recipe card in some junk mail years ago, but just googled and found it on line easily and on pinterest. I use the version with the Sherry, which I think contributed greatly to the smell! It's kind of an Asian Fusion thing.

Yikes! I certainly sympathize about smelly people you can't escape because that's kind of what this whole thread is about, but that could backfire some day if a plane your on has to divert due to an emergency landing. Maybe a mask with some of your favorite fragrance lightly dabbed inside could be a great solution for you? That way you'd have relief but there wouldn't be another "smelly person."

And I certainly don't think you owe anyone's daughter organic shower gels. Are they more expensive? Wouldn't a different small gift be easy to substitute? Why is this an issue even if you have decided mom is making up a pretend allergy? Are the girls upset?
Concerning the girl, the poor thing is 12 and finally getting into girly things. Up until 2nd grade she had the same boy haircut as her brothers and mom. Mom is your stereotypical granola, short guy hair cut, doesnt shave and natural in all ways. Her daughter is friends with mine and the past years got into the same stuff as other girls: makeup, bath and body works stuff. Spray body Sprays. There is a particular brand of body spray and shower gel popular in this age group. Mom suddenly has a scent Allergy. Then organic brand is supposidly ok. Not the cool brand.

I have yet to kill a single plant and we spray can after can outside :confused3

On a patio, on pavement? Try standing in the grass and spraying on your bare feet. You'll get a nice circle of dead grass with two green footprints inside :) Sunscreen blocks sunlight, and plants need sunlight to grow. If you get it on a plant, that plant cannot perform photosynthesis and the parts covered in sunscreen will die. The whole plant may die, depending on how much is covered.

On a patio, on pavement? Try standing in the grass and spraying on your bare feet. You'll get a nice circle of dead grass with two green footprints inside :) Sunscreen blocks sunlight, and plants need sunlight to grow. If you get it on a plant, that plant cannot perform photosynthesis and the parts covered in sunscreen will die. The whole plant may die, depending on how much is covered.

That's so weird. I spray it all over my kids and myself every single day from Memorial day to Labor Day. Yes, I spray it in the backyard so it's not all over the house. I always make sure it's all over our feet before we get in the car to go to the water park. It's never killed anything but a sunburn.

Agreed. If you know something you're doing is a potential threat to someone's life, why wouldn't you stop? It's actually very frightening to realize something you've done contributed to someone almost dying.

I would bet, most, if not all of the posters who have been in the , "I'll do what I want and those with allergies are on their own" had to resuscitate their victim, they'd have a different view. Or at least I would hope.

About 20 years ago I had a student who was highly allergic to perfume. The summer after 6th grade he went to the local water park with his summer day camp. I was a supervisor there at the time. We got a call that someone was having a severe asthma attack. When I got to the area, I saw it was my student. Someone nearby had sprayed perfume causing Dom to go into anaphylactic shock. We tried everything but he was later pronounced dead at the hospital. When they investigated what happened, the perfume had been sprayed about 10 minutes before Dom and the others got back to their towel area. But the perfume got on the towels and when he dried off with his towel there was enough on the towel to cause the attack.

About 20 years ago I had a student who was highly allergic to perfume. The summer after 6th grade he went to the local water park with his summer day camp. I was a supervisor there at the time. We got a call that someone was having a severe asthma attack. When I got to the area, I saw it was my student. Someone nearby had sprayed perfume causing Dom to go into anaphylactic shock. We tried everything but he was later pronounced dead at the hospital. When they investigated what happened, the perfume had been sprayed about 10 minutes before Dom and the others got back to their towel area. But the perfume got on the towels and when he dried off with his towel there was enough on the towel to cause the attack.
That is a tragic story and it must have been very traumatic for you. I wonder how parents deal with ever sending a youngster with that acute a sensitivity out anywhere. How could you ever be careful enough?

Oh my gosh monster kitty. :sad1:

Devastating.

That is a truly tragic story. Until this thread I had no idea scents could be so devastating to people. Will certainly be something I am more aware of going forward.

I was trying to remember the name when I was posting last night and couldn’t come up with it but remembered this morning—Jungle Gardenia. Vile smell. My grandmother on my dad’s side would get her a bottle every Christmas. Not sure they even make it anymore. Luckily she saved it for special occasions.

I remember that scent well. In college (a long time ago) I was in a class held in a large auditorium where we had assigned seats. The girl that sat next to me wore Jungle Gardenia. The class met right after lunch and she also ate Doritos from the vending machine every day. The combination of those two smells almost made me sick!

I remember that scent well. In college (a long time ago) I was in a class held in a large auditorium where we had assigned seats. The girl that sat next to me wore Jungle Gardenia. The class met right after lunch and she also ate Doritos from the vending machine every day. The combination of those two smells almost made me sick!

Ha! We must have similar scent palates. I detest the smell of Doritos on someone’s breath. My kids and DH know not to come near me if they have eaten them and I refuse to eat them because I think they stink.

That's terrible. :(

Ha! We must have similar scent palates. I detest the smell of Doritos on someone’s breath. My kids and DH know not to come near me if they have eaten them and I refuse to eat them because I think they stink.
Yes, same here! Are Corn Nuts still around? God, those absolutely reeked. Anybody eating them near me and my gag reflex would kick in. I seem to have gotten very sensitive to odors as I've gotten older, but I'm not allergic to anything as far as I know. Cigarette smoke or any strong scent will bring on a bad headache though. We have a wood-burning fireplace that we can't use anymore because the smell makes me sick. I love the idea of sitting around a nice warm fire and reading a book, but I can't do it anymore. I tried it last winter and we had to open up all the windows so I could breathe fresh air, kinda defeated the purpose of being warm and toasty. Hopefully we can convert it to a gas insert as we can't use it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter