Another reason not to fly in on day of departure (MCO)

I have to say this all makes me very nervous! We’re flying into MCO in a few weeks for the first time, and all I see are thunderstorms in the forecast. We’re flying in the day before the cruise, but now I’m not only worrying about flight delays, also worried about soaked luggage! I’m thinking I may need to put everything in large ziplocks? We almost never have t-storms where I live so maybe I’m overreacting...

Weather forecasts for June through November are highly likely to show daily thunderstorm chances for here in central FL. But that does NOT mean it happens every day, and even when it does happen, it is generally a passing storm and doesn't last for hours. Good for you flying in the day before!!! Hopefully not one of the last flights out though. :cutie:

My luggage getting soaked was the only time this has ever happened to me, and I live here in metro Orlando. And that time the suitcase was a hard side! The only permeable portion was the ZIPPER. :crazy2: But the inside still was wet that one time.

I pack almost every thing in oversized ziplock bags, not so much to keep them dry but to keep them neatly folded and clean. :sunny:

And, we have been on the other side of a weather stop at the end of our cruise at Hobby in Houston (Galveston). Our bags were abandoned on the carts in a huge thunderstorm. When our bags arrived in Phoenix, we discovered they were soaked through. Wet contents would not be a good way to START off a cruise.

Exactly why we have hardside bags with no zippers, they are sealed with a gasket... so even if left out in the rain.... no issues.

Leave on our Dream Cruise on Monday, but the family flew in Saturday as we were coming from 3 different states. Flights were all good as far as being on time and all, but the 2 groups that came in on the late afternoon experienced something that caused me to go what if?.....

Started raining when we arrived and by the time we made it to baggage claim they had called a "Code Red" on the ramp at Orlando. This meant that there was lightning within 3 miles of the airport and they immediately stopped all ramp activities for the safety of the workers, which included unloading bags. Said it could be up to 3 hour or more. We waited about 1 1/2 hours then went to our hotel, having to go back later to meet the rest of party.

What if this was the day of...., who would expect that you could arrive on time but potentially miss your cruise due to something like lightning??? Another reason to arrive at least the day before!
Something similar happened to some people I know a couple years ago. They got off the plane and the luggage got off the plane, but due to lightening the luggage was left outside until it was safe. When they arrived at their hotel, everything in their luggage was soaked completely through. A mess! This was two days before and a very stressful situation.

We’re carryon only people as well in most situations, unless we’re going somewhere for a month or more, or my DH is bringing surfboards. We’ll be only taking carryons on our 7-Day Alaska cruise. I don’t mind doing laundry. Stuff is the enemy of fun. And we’ll be flying into Vancouver at least 3 days before our cruise, so make that 10 days with just carryons.

Yikes!! I hate reading these threads but they are informative. I'm leaving same day on a direct flight to MCO which is the first flight of the day offered by the airline. Last year when we went to WDW our flight was delayed by 6 hours heading to MCO due to winter weather and there was a mom with her two kids that likely missed their cruise departure (not sure if it was DCL), but I remember she was so angry with the airline staff....

My wife and I discussed leaving 1 day prior and potentially heading to WDW for a quick stop but it didn't make much sense with all the travel so we booked same day.....praying everything goes fine in a few weeks when we leave!

Apparently Rick Steves travels through Europe with only a backpack so I guess anything is possible. I agree with Dynamic duo that it definitely requires a lot of laundry.

But he also does not bring formal or semi-formal wear. On a cruise I always try to get some nice photos, especially on those dress up nights. That, along with my aversion to doing any laundry on a cruise (if it can be avoided), necessitates a larger bag for me.

Last edited:

We were stuck in the plane, one foot from the bridgeway (or whatever it is called that gets you on/off the plane)
Jetway. But we knew what you meant :)

But he also does not bring formal or semi-formal wear. On a cruise I always try to get some nice photos, especially on those dress up nights. That, along with my aversion to doing the any laundry on a cruise (if it can be avoided), necessitates a larger bag for me.
We’ve managed to use 3 carryons for a 4 day trip to San Francisco for a wedding, so it’s doable for that kind of trip.

For a cruise... not every cruise line has a self serve laundry room (although they should) so if you’re not taking DCL, check. Would hate to see any of you caught off guard and lacking clothes.

I don't know if anyone reads Disney Tourist Blog, but their luggage got delayed when they went on a Disney cruise in Norway (they even tried only doing carry-on and flying in the day before but due to airline issues had to check their bags). The airline ended up getting it sent to their first port city and it was brought onto the ship then. So he had to board the ship with just the clothes on his back! Disney Cruise Line was great, giving them complimentary laundry service and even offered to send a tailor to the room to make him something for formal night and his Palo dinner!

Here is the craziness they went through: https://www.disneytouristblog.com/norwegian-fjords-disney-cruise-line-report-part-1/

This is AWESOME!:worship:

I wish I came up with it! A blogger I read said her dad told her that once and she always reminds herself of that when packing.

I don't know if anyone reads Disney Tourist Blog, but their luggage got delayed when they went on a Disney cruise in Norway (they even tried only doing carry-on and flying in the day before but due to airline issues had to check their bags). The airline ended up getting it sent to their first port city and it was brought onto the ship then. So he had to board the ship with just the clothes on his back! Disney Cruise Line was great, giving them complimentary laundry service and even offered to send a tailor to the room to make him something for formal night and his Palo dinner!

Here is the craziness they went through: https://www.disneytouristblog.com/norwegian-fjords-disney-cruise-line-report-part-1/

I remember that post and I was so indignant on Tom's behalf because I hate when I only bring a completely size-appropriate carryon AND the airline employees decide to take it away for some bogus reason. I've had them insist at the ticket counter that the bags must be checked even though they fit in the sizer thingy, because the flight was oversold and they wanted to expedite boarding, or because the bags are overweight (according to that airline, Hawaiian Air, but never had an issue on any other) for going in the overhead compartment. I always try to check in online and avoid the ticket counter for this reason but we were flying with a baby and couldn't get his boarding pass otherwise. When I was 16 I flew to Ireland with my parents and Delta made us check our carryons, which they promptly lost and I had none of my clothes or other personal items, and we were going to a wedding on the other side of the country. They found my parents' suitcases (they had packed 2 each) days before they found my single one. I didn't fly Delta for a decade I was so salty about it. Thing is, my mom was a flight attendant back in the day, so she taught me how to be a minimalist packer. But the airlines started charging for checked bags and then everyone and their grandma decided to start bringing carryons. The airlines only have themselves to blame for takeoff delays caused by people trying to cram bags in the overhead compartments. There are a lot of people who are less neurotic than I am about losing their stuff who would be only too happy to check everything if it was "free" again.

Yikes!! I hate reading these threads but they are informative. I'm leaving same day on a direct flight to MCO which is the first flight of the day offered by the airline. Last year when we went to WDW our flight was delayed by 6 hours heading to MCO due to winter weather.....praying everything goes fine in a few weeks when we leave!

Let us know how it turned out. Hoping for the best, even though you know better ! :bored:

Another reason for a travel insurance policy that includes some luggage coverage, so some of these costs can be reimbursed. We have an annual policy that includes coverage for both lost and delayed luggage up to $1000.

Just another plug for using a credit card to purchase things. The Visa Signature card (and I'm sure several others) actually includes lost luggage coverage. It's a higher limit I believe than the $1,000. It's actually pretty surprising the benefits you get when you purchase your entire airline flight with a credit card. Some of the travel cards have even more benefits that are geared specifically to travelers.

Visa Signature even has a sort of concierge service where they help you connect with services you need (although they don't cover the cost) and will even provide you cash and help with passport replacement should your things be stolen.

Not the same as travel insurance mind you, but I encourage folks to read their cardmember benefits before traveling.

After our day before cruise luggage SNAFU, we only do roll-on. Even for the 14 day EBPC cruise we took. Thank you Mickey for putting laundry facilities on the ships.

We've been doing this for years. We just returned from a 2 week, 3 island Hawaii adventure and only packed in carry-ons - and that was with 3 teenage girls!. We did laundry 3 times. Last summer we did 6 nights in Rome and then a 10 night Italy/Greece cruise on Celebrity, which doesn't have guest-accessible laundry rooms. We have learned to pack a lot of quick-dry material, how to best hand-wash in hotel and cruise bathrooms, and hang the laundry to dry in the bathroom. Most things dry overnight. Is it fun? Not really - but it doesn't take that long and it's far better than losing luggage! We can actually pack for over a full week in a carry-on, including dressy clothes if we don't need to worry about souvenirs, extra outerwear, etc. If you have clothes made with the right materials and pack right, it's not hard to limit yourself to only what you can roll onto the plane.

Back to the topic at hand, though - I read an article earlier today about a single passenger who managed to get through security in the Munich airport last week without going through screening and managed to shut down the airport, cancel over 300 flights, and strand over 700 people in the airport overnight. These are the kinds of unforeseeable things that can happen - and make it a good idea to try to arrive at your destination at least 24 hours before you *need* to be there if you have a hard-and-fast deadline for anything!

Try doing that for a 14 night cruise.

Or if you’re of more than average size. My now-ex is a person of size, and I used to be much bigger. It’s hard to pack bigger clothes in carryon.

I met someone on our first cruise who had a baggage delay and the bags didn't make it to the ship. She and her family had to wear gift shop clothes the entire cruise

The bags never caught up? Almost every Royal cruise I’ve been on has had at least one family wearing airplane clothes for a few days until their bags catch up.

Maybe if you’re on a shorter cruise there’s no time or port where it can happen.

And again, gift shop clothes are fine unless you’re very tall or of a much bigger clothing size. Then you’re out of luck.

Apparently Rick Steves travels through Europe with only a backpack so I guess anything is possible. I agree with Dynamic duo that it definitely requires a lot of laundry.

He wears a full carryon sized bag as a backpack, yes. But he dresses very simply and with just the basics. One pair of shoes. That sort of thing. That’s not a fun way to pack for a cruise.

For a cruise... not every cruise line has a self serve laundry room (although they should) so if you’re not taking DCL, check. Would hate to see any of you caught off guard and lacking clothes.

As far as I know *only* dcl has self service laundry.

I read an article earlier today about a single passenger who managed to get through security in the Munich airport last week without going through screening and managed to shut down the airport, cancel over 300 flights, and strand over 700 people in the airport overnight.

Wow, that’s wild that it caused such long disruptions. I was on a plane when that happened, and it only shut down SeaTac for about half an hour.

As far as I know *only* dcl has self service laundry.

Princess and Azamara have self-service laundry rooms (and on Azamara there are no fees), and Holland America has laundry rooms on its smaller ships (which are decreasing in number, but there's still a few [e.g., Rotterdam, Maasdam]).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter