• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another SSR question

nts4wdw

DIS Veteran
Yes, it's me, the SSR newbie back with another (probably stupid) question. In reading trip reports and such, I've seen that sometimes at checkin, the person will be asked what room they would like and shown what is available. Is this a normal thing? We made a room request (Up high as we could be with a view of Downtown Disney), but should I be prepared with alternatives if I'm asked? We 've never stayed at a DVC before and were always just assigned a room at the others. (This is our 13th trip.) I don't want to be ill prepared. Close to the bus stop is not a big deal to us, but a good view is. Help me out? :confused3
I must say you all on the DVC boards have been so helpful and kind.

Yes, it's me, the SSR newbie back with another (probably stupid) question. In reading trip reports and such, I've seen that sometimes at checkin, the person will be asked what room they would like and shown what is available. Is this a normal thing? We made a room request (Up high as we could be with a view of Downtown Disney), but should I be prepared with alternatives if I'm asked? We 've never stayed at a DVC before and were always just assigned a room at the others. (This is our 13th trip.) I don't want to be ill prepared. Close to the bus stop is not a big deal to us, but a good view is. Help me out? :confused3
I must say you all on the DVC boards have been so helpful and kind.

From what I understand the room assignments are normally done in advance. The resort gets your information five to ten days before your arrival. Requests are granted if possible. It seems that the CM already knows what room we are assigned and they just check to see if it is ready.

When you check-in, if the room you are assigned is not where you want to be, request for an alternative building, section or floor. The earlier you are checking in, the better chance you have of getting a more desired location. We have changed our assigned room several times on check-in. Also, if you do get a Congress Park location, make sure that the room actually faces downtown. We have gotten one of those parking lot views in Congress Park.

Check-out is at 11am and check-in is at 4pm, so checking in early doesn't always happen. We get there early and ask what is available now and what might be available later. Be prepared to wait for a room! They usually give us a general location and a card with a phone number on it to call after a certain time (is it 3pm?) to get your exact room number. They will hold your stuff at Bell services and deliver it for you. Make the call (tollfree) and head to your room!

I don't think there's a bad spot in the place, frankly. But my opinion may be biased due to the overwhelming love I have for SSR :love: .

This was our view when stayed in the Paddock section a little while back.
56002SSR-View2.jpg

Enjoy your stay and WELCOME HOME!

D4D

We checked in to VB a month ago for a 2 BR we got through II on exchange. When we checked in at around 4 PM we were given a choice, we could have either of two first floor units or wait for a third floor unit that wasn't yet clean. Either would have been OK but we opted to wait for the 3rd floor unit hoping for somewhat of a view and we got just that, somewhat of a view.

On the two occasions I've stayed at SSR I was given an assigned room but asked them to check for another location. Both times they found a room that was better to my liking.

So it's more of a situation of "Here's the room we chose for you. Don't like that, let me see what else we have."

We checked in about three hours ago and they ask us when we checked in if we have a room location preference we would like, I said as close to the food court as possible, she placed us in the closest rooms open and we got room 8501, it is great location but a bit of a walk with bags there is no parking on this side of building but we are right across the road basically from check in building in the new grandstand section. We are moving to a one bedroom Sunday and I ask if I could just move next door and she said she did not see a problem but I would have to come back over on the morning of my present check out day because they could not link these two ressies together. every time I been down here they ask if I have any certain building or area I would like.

If you can't get Congress Park, ask for Grandstand, golf course view. It's gorgeous and unbelievably convenient! It's now our favorite location in SSR.:thumbsup2

Thanks for all your replies. DH and I will be pouring over our resort map this weekend. It feels like we are going for the first time all over again. :goodvibes

Both times I've stayed at SSR they have given me a choice of 2 different buildings. In February they gave me a choice of a room at the paddocks, orther springs...I chose the springs to be closer to the main building. Happy with my choice both times.

On the two occasions I've stayed at SSR I was given an assigned room but asked them to check for another location. Both times they found a room that was better to my liking.

So it's more of a situation of "Here's the room we chose for you. Don't like that, let me see what else we have."

Yep.

I agree.

The CM's have always tried to help with a "better" room. Just remember a bad view at WDW is better then a good view at work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter