Another teacher gift thread

DawnM

DIS Veteran
I am sorry, really, don't shoot me.

When I taught high school only a few students brought gifts to me and I didn't think twice if a student didn't bring me a gift. Each student had 7 teachers and it wasn't expected.

My son is in high school this year and it didn't even occur to me to buy gifts for all of his teachers, but another mom said she gets each teacher gift cards.

Do you get gifts for all high school teachers?

Dawn

I never did. One of my DDs teaches high school. She doesn't expect gifts from her students, although she gets a few every year, usually from kids she's spent a lot of extra time tutoring.

No. I wouldn't get a gift for any of them. If your child is in Highschool, they're old enough to choose who they want to give to and what to get a teacher, if that's what they want to do.

We get gifts for a couple of teachers, the ones my kids are most involved with. The band director always gets a gift. Nobody spends as much time on the job as he does. Also the teacher that runs the Academic Team is one of my son's favorites, so he gets a gift.

no. My kids would kill me! If they came home and asked to give a gift to a particular teacher, I would.

I teach middle school, so the kids have seven teachers too. Here is my experience (and has been my experience for the 17 years I've taught). Gifts are never expected. Most kids don't give gifts at all. Some of the kids will give gifts to their favorite teachers. Some of the parents will give gifts to the teachers they feel have gone above and beyond. A very few parents will give gifts to all of their kids' teachers. Teachers know that their students have seven teachers and will never ever expect anything. I received some really thoughtful gifts this week, and I also got a few cards and emails this week that absolutely made my year. I posted one of Facebook today, and one poster said, "Better than any material gift, isn't it?" and it absolutely was. Notes and emails are free and often mean so much. My advice in another thread was, "If you feel the teacher has really made an impact and has gone above and beyond and you feel that you want to give a gift...give one! If not, it's certainly not expected and nobody will think twice about it."

I stopped after elementary school unless the kids have a favorite teacher that they want to buy a gift for.

I'd be buying gifts for over 20 teachers if I got them all gifts. Sorry, not gonna happen.

We have a local bakery that makes very good sugar cookies. I'll buy a couple dozen and package them up with a card from dd. It's only a few bucks a teacher, so not too expensive. Just a couple bucks per teacher. The restaurant is well known, so it's obvious they aren't homemade since some teachers are iffy about that.

Thanks guys. I haven't worked as a teacher in a few year AND we moved across the country, so I thought maybe things had changed drastically.

Sounds like they haven't.

We have a list of our teachers favorite things at my sons school (elementary) such as
Store
Resturant
Flower
Candy
Etc... My son gives their favorite candy and a card to his 6 teachers,nurse,principal, and secretary. I give a gift card only to his primary teacher. There is also a giving tree where you can pick an item for the classroom the teacher would like to have.

Nope. Only primary school teachers receive gifts. Although friends who teach Year 12 occasionally get gifts from students :)

No. We will get the band director an end of the year gift because he is amazing, but no teacher gifts.

I teach middle school, so the kids have seven teachers too. Here is my experience (and has been my experience for the 17 years I've taught). Gifts are never expected. Most kids don't give gifts at all. Some of the kids will give gifts to their favorite teachers. Some of the parents will give gifts to the teachers they feel have gone above and beyond. A very few parents will give gifts to all of their kids' teachers. Teachers know that their students have seven teachers and will never ever expect anything. I received some really thoughtful gifts this week, and I also got a few cards and emails this week that absolutely made my year. I posted one of Facebook today, and one poster said, "Better than any material gift, isn't it?" and it absolutely was. Notes and emails are free and often mean so much. My advice in another thread was, "If you feel the teacher has really made an impact and has gone above and beyond and you feel that you want to give a gift...give one! If not, it's certainly not expected and nobody will think twice about it."

I have my kids write a note to each teacher (Freshman & 6th grade) about their favorite thing about the class or teacher. No gifts at Christmas cause we are broke, but I will do a gift at the end of the school year, usually a gift certificate to a locally owned restaurant chain. It's just easier on our budget. They will write another note as well.

My kids are still in PK-5 so they only have one teacher, but back when I was in school, I would just give the teacher a candy cane with a short note that said "Merry Christmas Mrs. XXX". Nothing was expected, but was a nice gesture.

When I taught gifts weren't expected and few received. But it was always nice to receive a note of thanks from a parent or student. I received a few cards, and random gifts of candy, ornaments, and mugs. My favorite though was an edible arrangement gift basket that our PK team shared.

No, I've got 3 in high school now and one in middle (and twins in elementary). If they have particular teachers they'd like to buy for, and I ask each year, I would get a gift card, but so far none have mentioned wanting to get gifts.

I have my kids write a note to each teacher (Freshman & 6th grade) about their favorite thing about the class or teacher
Believe me when I say the teacher thinks that's really special and will cherish the note. I got one that made me cry yesterday, and it will definitely be pulled out and reread for years to come.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter