Another Thanksgiving food thread - green beans

If I never eat another green bean again it will be too soon. Growing up we ate green beans from a can and they were so slimy and limp and just gross. The fresh ones are no better, thick and crunchy and gross.

Every year I make green bean casserole for Thanksgiving, and only Thanksgiving. I start with fresh thin green beans, make a white sauce with sauted onions and mushrooms, and add those fried mushrooms in it and on top. It's great, but heavy. Some years I get creative and add a variety of mushrooms.

We eat beans sautéed with almonds, lemon, and browned butter lots of other times in the year, but that wouldn't be our Thanksgiving tradition. Never made that with balsamic vinegar, but I put it on lots of other vegies, and it sounds good.

If I never eat another green bean again it will be too soon. Growing up we ate green beans from a can and they were so slimy and limp and just gross. The fresh ones are no better, thick and crunchy and gross.

My mom always had canned green beans too. I hate them. I used either fresh haricot verts or the frozen. I don't like the fat ones either! Lol!

I will often buy the fresh beans from Costco and steam them lightly, add some sautéed almonds or mushrooms.

In the summer I will add fresh cherry tomatoes with some fresh garlic and olive oil. Delicious! This is good fir a holiday as well.

I do skillet green bean casserole with fresh green beans, shallots, mushrooms, garlic, heavy cream, dash of sour cream, gluten free/low sodium soy sauce & pepper. Topped with caramelized shallots.

I buy the skinny ones in the produce section (usually bagged up), microwave them, put butter on them. Done.

Actually everyone likes the dish. It's the traditional casserole no one would touch.

I'm with them. Your recipe sounds very tasty. I do somethign similar with brocoli.

Wouldn't touch what Wishing on a Star is suggesting (or anything made from canned beans).

We do ours with butter, garlic and cranberries (we use Craisins). Generally not even a morsel is left.

Trim fresh beans, steam to soft but firm, and drain. Meanwhile, melt butter and add garlic and cranberries to it, let them soften a bit, then add to beans and stir around. Serve hot.

Frozen, whole green beans--I don't remember what brand we use--sauteed in a little olive oil with some garlic, salt, and pepper. A dash of soy sauce at the very end.

Unless I find a recipe everyone else will eat, I will be cooking them the good old fashioned Southern style.

Chop up some bacon and fry till crisp. Leave grease in the pan, spoon out the bacon and drain. Add chopped shallots to pan and cook slightly. Add water and fresh green beans. Add salt to taste. And let cook. Some like them well cooked some like still a bit crisp. I add a pat of butter at the end. Bacon and butter removes any trace of healthy lol.

We don't like anything that even resembles green bean casserole. And HATE canned beans.

Have also cooked the beans slightly and then drain and wrap little bunches with bacon. Brushed with balsamic and baked until bacon is done.

All the hate for green beans
Unless I find a recipe everyone else will eat, I will be cooking them the good old fashioned Southern style.

Chop up some bacon and fry till crisp. Leave grease in the pan, spoon out the bacon and drain. Add chopped shallots to pan and cook slightly. Add water and fresh green beans. Add salt to taste. And let cook. Some like them well cooked some like still a bit crisp. I add a pat of butter at the end. Bacon and butter removes any trace of healthy lol.

We don't like anything that even resembles green bean casserole. And HATE canned beans.

Have also cooked the beans slightly and then drain and wrap little bunches with bacon. Brushed with balsamic and baked until bacon is done.

Pretty much this except I drain off half the grease, use chicken broth + dry white wine and add some thyme, no butter.

All the hate for green beans

Pretty much this except I drain off half the grease, use chicken broth + dry white wine and add some thyme, no butter.

My family's go to holiday green bean recipe is similar, but oh so much better (or worse if you are a heath conscience person). Melt a stick of butter, mix it with 1 cup brown sugar, a 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 1/2 tsp soy sauces and let 3 drained cans of green beans marinate in the mixture overnight. Crumble crisp bacon (8-10 slices) over the mixture and bake it at 350 for 30 minutes. Delicious, but make sure to drain the liquid after cooking, especially if you are traveling with this dish.

Our more typical version of green beans are either lightly steamed or roasted in olive oil. Growing up, my mom and her family's idea of green beans was to cook them forever in a pressure cooker with a bit of bacon or ham hock. Bleh, cooked down to nearly the consistency of baby food.

Green Beans with Mushrooms and Bacon
Yield: about 6 servings

6 slices bacon
1 pound green beans, stems removed
1 pound medium-sized mushrooms, each cut into quarters
1 large red onion, sliced
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper

In a 12-inch skillet over medium-low heat, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain
To bacon drippings remaining in skillet over medium heat, add whole green beans, mushrooms, onion, water, vinegar, salt, and crushed red pepper; cover skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.

To serve, spoon bean mixture into bowl. Crumble bacon and sprinkle over beans.

I do it like this minus the mushrooms. And i add butter at the end. They are delicious !

Fresh, sauteed with olive oil, salt, pepper, fresh garlic, and sometimes fresh mushrooms added.

We have lots of other green veggies too, always have roasted brussel sprouts, spinach and typically artichokes.

All this talk of food is making me hungry!

My family's go to holiday green bean recipe is similar, but oh so much better (or worse if you are a heath conscience person). Melt a stick of butter, mix it with 1 cup brown sugar, a 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 1/2 tsp soy sauces and let 3 drained cans of green beans marinate in the mixture overnight. Crumble crisp bacon (8-10 slices) over the mixture and bake it at 350 for 30 minutes. Delicious, but make sure to drain the liquid after cooking, especially if you are traveling with this dish.

Our more typical version of green beans are either lightly steamed or roasted in olive oil. Growing up, my mom and her family's idea of green beans was to cook them forever in a pressure cooker with a bit of bacon or ham hock. Bleh, cooked down to nearly the consistency of baby food.

Yum! That sounds good. Anything with brown sugar AND bacon is bound to be good! May be trying this!

I don't care to much for the fresh green beans, not sure why. I do love the can. I have never had the green bean casserole. I really like roasted asparagus, and brussel sprouts. I might have that this year.

My version of the green bean casserole (since I don't like cream of mushroom, or onions), is green beans, cream of potato soup, cheese, and topped with bacon. I like green beans in general, unless they are too squeaky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter