• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another Thanksgiving question- Paper plates or washable plates?

Grandma
Six daughters and their husbands
14 grandkids and their spouses
About 7-8 great grandkids

No one has that many dishes when hosting. Paper plates it is. But we’re fancy and buy the “good” plates.

Wish my mom had used paper plates. There were so many dishes and she doesn't have a dishwasher. Three of us took turns washing dishes. My back was killing me lol

My inlaws do paper and don't put up an extra table so you eat on your lap if you don't get to the table quickly. To me it just doesn't feel like a holiday, it feels like a barbecue. I prefer real plates and sitting at a table which I do when I host and my family always does as well. I like it to be special and feel different than a regular dinner.

We've always used paper plates as MIL doesn't have a dishwasher & neither did we until recently.

My inlaws do paper and don't put up an extra table so you eat on your lap if you don't get to the table quickly. To me it just doesn't feel like a holiday, it feels like a barbecue. I prefer real plates and sitting at a table which I do when I host and my family always does as well. I like it to be special and feel different than a regular dinner.

MIL does paper. Honestly we all do.

She has two large dining room tables and a bar that sits 5. Still not always enough places to sit at a table. Sometimes I sit with dh and his brothers. Sometimes I sit with young couples and babies. Sometimes I sit with the teens on the porch. Sometimes I sit with the little ones. And sometimes me, his sister and sister in laws all wait till the kids and men finish and herd them outside and we sit and eat and have a grand time.

Real plates and everyone sitting at the table would be nice but not realistic in that family.

Just my opinion, but it seems to me what makes a holiday special is the people you are enjoying it with, not the plate.

I have special china just for Thanksgiving and no dishwasher. I felt like I was doing dishes forever later that afternoon!

We had two dinners this year and used both. My family used washable dishes and my husbands family used paper plates for their dinner. I preferred the paper plates dinner since there was no washing of dishes afterward like my family has every year. We just went from eating to talking immediately.

I use paper plates for desert, and my regular everyday dishes for the main course. I'd love to go with paper plates, but I worry that they aren't sturdy enough for the quanity of food that most of my guests pile on the plate. We serve ourselves at the island between the living room and dining room and have to carry them to the table. If we were serving right at the table, I'd worry a lot less, but there's not room for all that food on the table.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter