Another Tipping Thread. These Are Always Fun

The pandemic has really opened my eyes on the tipped employee problem. My daughter is a server and makes 5xx and hour plus tips. When restaurants were open only for takeout, she made the same and most people (in her experience) do not tip for takeout, so for much of the pandemic she earned $5xx an hour, and the owner of this small restaurant would add some extra to get her to minimum, but it was hard work for very low pay. I don't blame people who left this industry and see the labor shortage as a wake up call. Even when they opened to half full, she was often the only one on, and had to take all the calls, box up all the meals, check out the take outs, while still working a few tables and take out customers still don't tip. How do you take out $117 worth of food and leave no tip. It boggles my mind.

They should teach it in school, 'cause I have no idea once you get away from restaurants and hair dressers. I boarded my dog a few weeks ago and there was a tip option on the receipt. Are you supposed to tip for boarding? Or is that more meant for grooming (also offered there)? Or training? There was no tip line at a different kennel where I take the dog for day care and they also do boarding and grooming.

I had a rental dumpster dropped off and there was a tip section on the online payment menu. I had no idea on what to do... I mean on one hand I have never tipped for those types of services. On the other these people are dropping off a heavy giant steel container on your driveway... so I was a bit torn.

And ya I hate the entire tipping thing, it's so confusing and it seems like more and more (like above) places are expecting tips. Mexico is even worse for me because supposedly almost everyone there works for tips. So I have to remember to tip nearly every person who walks by and then it's a question of how much? I tried to research this and got a myriad of answers also. And it's so complicated I might need to take a "cheat sheet".

I had a rental dumpster dropped off and there was a tip section on the online payment menu. I had no idea on what to do... I mean on one hand I have never tipped for those types of services. On the other these people are dropping off a heavy giant steel container on your driveway... so I was a bit torn.

And ya I hate the entire tipping thing, it's so confusing and it seems like more and more (like above) places are expecting tips. Mexico is even worse for me because supposedly almost everyone there works for tips. So I have to remember to tip nearly every person who walks by and then it's a question of how much? I tried to research this and got a myriad of answers also. And it's so complicated I might need to take a "cheat sheet".
I'm not sure in the example you gave that they actually EXPECT tips. "Want" or "Hope for", sure.

To me, tipping should only be used for those who "going above and beyond". It should never be expected or used to bump up an employee's salary. Yes, I know that's how it IS used, but I don't think it should be. Pay people what they're worth. Then, if they do a good job and the customer wants to give them a "little something extra", so be it.

The standard moves as it always has. Use to be 10%. Then 15. Then 18, now 20. They are trying to increase the standard by labeling it at 22% now. Eventually given the saturation in our optics of that 22% number, it will become standard.

When I joined this board, standard tip was 18% and they were starting to put 20% on the bill. Now the standard is 20%. Tomorrow it will be 22%.

Yes, it does that because the cost of living/inflation increases get passed onto the customer in the form of tips while the employer can still get away with paying their ridiculously low minimum wages.

The service industry needs a complete overhaul. People will reference the few instances in which a no-gratuity model didn't work, but it's the culture that needs to change. Data shows that tipping culture encourages racism and sexism, as well as harassment and exploitation.

DH and I tried a restaurant we’ve never been to before last night. Somewhat upscale but not overly so.

When the check arrived, printed on the bottom were three suggested gratuities. 22%, 25%, and 28%.

(I can see @ronandannette going :faint: right now. ;))

Service was fine but not outstanding and we left our standard 20% tip. I’m sure we were put on some ——list and aren’t welcome back.

how much was the meal?

how much was the meal?

TMI???

Shared appetizer-Tuna nachos. Rare sliced tuna over Asian slaw. Crispy wontons, wasabi drizzle. 13

Me-Garlic Parmesan Orange Roughy (fish) with rice pilaf and grilled asparagus. 34

DH-Chunks of boneless chicken breast and Italian sausage mixed with mushrooms, red bell peppers, and onions in a red sauce over penne pasta. 28.5

Me-two glasses white wine. 8.5 each. 17

DH-two Corona light beers. 7 each. 14

No dessert or coffee. The menu listed prices just how I did, no dollar signs.

Total 106.5
20% tip would be 21.3 but we rounded down to 21 because of the ridiculous tip suggestions.

Tipping is out of control in the USA. Business should have to pay a living wage.
What is a living wage? Who determines that? The lower income folk? The people who worked their tails off to make a living wage? The people who rear end kissed their way? The ones who want to control all of us?

If we pay everyone a "living wage" now, what happens tomorrow when the inflation takes us right back to where we were except now those who were making that living wage is now at the bottom with everyone you elevated when you elevated the bottom?

TMI???

Shared appetizer-Tuna nachos. Rare sliced tuna over Asian slaw. Crispy wontons, wasabi drizzle. 13

Me-Garlic Parmesan Orange Roughy (fish) with rice pilaf and grilled asparagus. 34

DH-Chunks of boneless chicken breast and Italian sausage mixed with mushrooms, red bell peppers, and onions in a red sauce over penne pasta. 28.5

Me-two glasses white wine. 8.5 each. 17

DH-two Corona light beers. 7 each. 14

No dessert or coffee. The menu listed prices just how I did, no dollar signs.

Total 106.5
20% tip would be 21.3 but we rounded down to 21 because of the ridiculous tip suggestions.

$21 was more than fair. Food is getting more expensive. You shouldn’t have to tip the waiter more just because the cost of chicken is going up.

I know 20% is the standard now, and that's what we tip when travelling east. But on the west coast and Alaska, I still tip 15%. Western states don't have a separate minimum wage for servers, plus, as food has gone up, so has the tip--no need to keep increasing the percentage since the meal costs rise.

What is a living wage? Who determines that? The lower income folk? The people who worked their tails off to make a living wage? The people who rear end kissed their way? The ones who want to control all of us?

If we pay everyone a "living wage" now, what happens tomorrow when the inflation takes us right back to where we were except now those who were making that living wage is now at the bottom with everyone you elevated when you elevated the bottom?
:sad2:

Why? Why is one ok to spout off the living wage mantra but no one allowed to comment about it? Stuff like this is important. Perhaps it won't affect you much, maybe you'll be forced to retire with $5 million rather than $6 million in your 401k, but for the vast majority of people who make regular incomes, moving the bottom up to that level puts the vast majority of people on the bottom and that is not good.

Ever hear the phrase, "A rising tide raises all boats"? That's the point.

Employers who are running on a such a tight margin that they cannot raise the pay of all of their hourly workers by an even percentage when minimum goes up are in need of some practical advice, because they are not running their businesses well. The vast majority of small businesses do clear enough of a margin that a gradual pay raise won't be an unmanageble hit; it's just that a lot of them don't want to lose anything at all.

Having been working class up through young adulthood, and dirt poor for a large chunk of that time after losing my Dad, I can say with a fair amount of authority that in this country, the population segment that has it the worst are usually the working poor, because they tend to make just enough that social/educational programs seldom reach them to give them a hand up. The argument against the "living wage" is that it will eliminate some jobs, but keeping wages artificially low against COL just creates more working poor. Sometimes it actually is better to let some jobs go away, because the people who lose them usually become eligible for programs that can help them improve their prospects.

PS: Economics, not politics.

When you go to pizza place like domino's, pizza hut, etc, to pick up pizza, do you tip? I never have....what about drive thru like burger king, do you tip?

Until a few months ago, I never tipped at the couple of take out food places we visit. Now we only tip at a local chinese place because they are only take out at the moment. Mostly cause I know their normal set up had to change and I'm sure they have lost business.

I've never done take out at place like applebees or Texas roadhouse, I don't know what (if any) you would tip in that case.

When you go to pizza place like domino's, pizza hut, etc, to pick up pizza, do you tip? I never have....what about drive thru like burger king, do you tip?

Until a few months ago, I never tipped at the couple of take out food places we visit. Now we only tip at a local chinese place because they are only take out at the moment. Mostly cause I know their normal set up had to change and I'm sure they have lost business.

I've never done take out at place like applebees or Texas roadhouse, I don't know what (if any) you would tip in that case.
When you go to places that pay server minimum (usually 2 to 5 depending on state) then you tip for takeout. Those folks are working to take your order, get your food boxed and ready, cashing you out, for server pay of a few dollars an hour.

Do the workers at the pizza place make 2 an hour or 12 an hour. It makes a difference.

When you go to places that pay server minimum (usually 2 to 5 depending on state) then you tip for takeout. Those folks are working to take your order, get your food boxed and ready, cashing you out, for server pay of a few dollars an hour.

Do the workers at the pizza place make 2 an hour or 12 an hour. It makes a difference.

How does one know? I wonder if the server at the local non chain place makes a different rate than say Texas road house.

How much do you tip pizza delivery?
Usually around 7/8, depending on cash in hand, or 15% if I order online. All the places we order from are in town, a mile or less from here. Usually get a couple of pies and an order of mussels, maybe a sub or calzone, and always garlic knots for ds18.

OK, different tipping situation at a different restaurant tonight.

Our waitress, Katrina, had 4 tables, me and DH, a party of 4, a party of 6, and a party of 9 that included 3 pre-school age kids.

The party of 9 was already there when we were seated and seemed to be trouble the entire time. Kids were unruly a few times and the adults complained about several things from what I could hear. Waitress was constantly going back to their table and they never seemed to be satisfied.

Waitress apologized to us twice and was getting a bit frazzled by that table. It took a while, longer than it should have, for our meals to arrive.

Anyway, our bill was just about $60 and we left a $20 tip, 33%. That large party was still there when we left. I wonder how much they left.

Katrina had a nose ring, which automatically rates a higher than normal tip. ::yes::

OK, different tipping situation at a different restaurant tonight.

Our waitress, Katrina, had 4 tables, me and DH, a party of 4, a party of 6, and a party of 9 that included 3 pre-school age kids.

The party of 9 was already there when we were seated and seemed to be trouble the entire time. Kids were unruly a few times and the adults complained about several things from what I could hear. Waitress was constantly going back to their table and they never seemed to be satisfied.

Waitress apologized to us twice and was getting a bit frazzled by that table. It took a while, longer than it should have, for our meals to arrive.

Anyway, our bill was just about $60 and we left a $20 tip, 33%. That large party was still there when we left. I wonder how much they left.

Katrina had a nose ring, which automatically rates a higher than normal tip. ::yes::
Hopefully the table of 9 had gratuity automatically added. If not, the fact they had several small children whose meals didn’t cost much, I’m betting Katrina didn’t get enough tip to make up for the trouble they gave her

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter