Another WL v. AKL thread, which for honeymoon?

Honeymoon Resort

• Wilderness Lodge

• Animal Kingdom Lodge

Results are only viewable after voting.

Belle83

DIS Veteran
I know a lot of people post about staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge v. Wilderness Lodge. We are planning our Disneymoon for January 2013. So excited! We are currently booked at AKL but DH wants to switch to WL. What do you think? We'll most likely (not 100% sure yet) have a rental car either way. It's just us, no kids. This will be for the end of our honeymoon, we are going on a Disney Cruise first to the Bahamas and then going to Universal (staying at Royal Pacific).

Animal Kingdom Lodge:
- $100 cheaper
- I've wanted to stay here since it opened.
- More tropical themed, fits with the rest of our vacation.
- Animals!
- Ugly bedspreads

Wilderness Lodge
- new bedspreads and recently re-furbed rooms, but still kind of dark
- Close to MK, just a boat ride away
- DH wants to stay here

I can't get excited about WL. I think it's the theming. On one hand it would be very us (I'm from the Pacific Northwest, he's from Colorado) but it also doesn't have that tropical vacation vibe I want.

What do you think?

I know a lot of people post about staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge v. Wilderness Lodge. We are planning our Disneymoon for January 2013. So excited! We are currently booked at AKL but DH wants to switch to WL. What do you think? We'll most likely (not 100% sure yet) have a rental car either way. It's just us, no kids. This will be for the end of our honeymoon, we are going on a Disney Cruise first to the Bahamas and then going to Universal (staying at Royal Pacific).

Animal Kingdom Lodge:
- $100 cheaper
- I've wanted to stay here since it opened.
- More tropical themed, fits with the rest of our vacation.
- Animals!
- Ugly bedspreads

Wilderness Lodge
- new bedspreads and recently re-furbed rooms, but still kind of dark
- Close to MK, just a boat ride away
- DH wants to stay here

I can't get excited about WL. I think it's the theming. On one hand it would be very us (I'm from the Pacific Northwest, he's from Colorado) but it also doesn't have that tropical vacation vibe I want.

What do you think?

I probably won't be much help because we've stayed at both and love both for different reasons. In all honesty, you can't go wrong with either one as they are both great places to stay. WL has an advantage for MK as it's a quick (and relaxing) boat ride away. AKL is all buses, but we didn't find the buses to be bad at all (but if you will have a rental car, the buses don't matter). If you want to feel a little secluded, I'd go with AKL. AKL is out away from everything and I loved it because the surroundings seemed quieter. Both resorts are amazing and have beautiful grounds, as well as great restaurants. You don't say how many nights you are staying, but a split stay would be a great way to try both resorts in one trip, with both you and your DH getting to stay where you want. Good luck deciding, but you can't make a wrong choice, IMO.

I love AKL and have been planning my first WL visit. One thing that has come up for me is I love Boma, Jiko and Sanaa but don't find myself excited by the menus for Whispering Canyon and Artist Point. So which dining excites you more? It's always nice not have to go anywhere to eat. At AKL I can re-run their restaurants with ease -- not so much WL.

It's a small point but I have to split hairs to decide between two such beautiful resorts:goodvibes

I love AKL and have been planning my first WL visit. One thing that has come up for me is I love Boma, Jiko and Sanaa but don't find myself excited by the menus for Whispering Canyon and Artist Point. So which dining excites you more? It's always nice not have to go anywhere to eat. At AKL I can re-run their restaurants with ease -- not so much WL.

It's a small point but I have to split hairs to decide between two such beautiful resorts:goodvibes

I agree with you. I feel like part of the cool thing about staying at a Deluxe is having good restaurant selections. The restaurants at AKL are more interesting to me than the ones at WL. We've already been to Jiko, but I want to try Boma! If we stay at WL, I don't think we'll end up eating at WCC or Artist Point.

We just returned from a week at WL, and we loved the convenience its location gave us. We are not fans of the buses at all, so having the boat to MK, and the boat to Contemporary, and then monorail to EPCOT, was a major plus for my family. We had a car with us, and always drove to HS and AK. One time we rode the bus to HS - we waited 20 minutes on the way there, and 30 minutes on the way back to the WL. A big deal? Maybe not, but the transportation options at WL made a huge difference to us.

We stayed at WL for our honeymoon almost 20 years ago, so I'm kind of biased in favor of WL :)

However, if I had to choose one resort for our honeymoon, I wouldn't choose WL or AKL. I'd choose Boardwalk or BC. They both feel rather "beachy", but not exactly tropical. However, quick walks to Epcot, great pools, and lots of restaurants to choose from would be excellent on a honeymoon.

More specifically, I'd pick one of the ever-popular Garden Suites. Here's a video of the garden suites if you're unfamiliar with them.

How much input has he had on the honeymoon? Compromise is what marriage is about, if he chose most of the honeymoon out then its your turn - have fun!

How much input has he had on the honeymoon? Compromise is what marriage is about, if he chose most of the honeymoon out then its your turn - have fun!

Haha, good point! He's the one who chose our honeymoon to be at WDW. Of course I love WDW, but it will be our 3rd trip in 1 year and I am dying to go back to Europe. I told him that if we honeymooned at WDW I wanted to stay at the Contemporary. Then the room discounts came out and there aren't any for Contemporary, and I'm too cheap to pay for a deluxe beyond WL or AKL, so here we are.

AKL. We are DVC and stayed at VWL and have a trip coming up to AKV for Xmas. While we haven't stayed at AKV yet we have gone over to eat there many times. Both resorts have a similar feel (same architect)...very masculine and earthy. My DH and DS say their fave DVC resort is VWL, so I think they will like AKV too. Anyway, I voted for AKV because they have Boma, Jiko and Sanaa for meals and there's the animal watching and a bunch of talks and tours you can take (the resort alone could be a vacation). When we first went to WDW (in 2003), we stayed off site and I dreamed of being able to stay on site and the resort I most dreamed about staying at was AKL. We just bought DVC points there this year and booked a big family Xmas trip, so I am excited my dreams came true. Since your DH chose WDW for the honeymoon, you should pick AKL for the resort. Congrats by the way!!!

Personally, I'd do Wilderness.. Closer to MK and the overall feel is just more romantic, in my opinion!

I do think the WL grounds feel a bit more romantic than those at the AKL, but I also think AKL is a much more unique experience (especially since you live in the northwest). The lobby is stunning and the animals are very cool. The WL is more conveniently located, but that's not really a big deal since you have a rental car anyway. The one huge plus for AKL in my opinion is the restaurants. Jiko is one of our favorite signatures (very peaceful and romantic) and Boma has fantastic buffet selections at both breakfast and dinner. Sanaa is also great (the bread service is yummy) and where else can you watch animals roam from your table?! IMO, the AKL pool is superior to the WL's (although it is nice that the WL pool has the view of Bay Lake).

I think it really just comes down to whichever theme appeals to the two of you more (hopefully you are able to compromise)! Given that you have a rental car, though, and the AKL is such a different experience, I would probably lean toward that resort and try the WL on a future trip!

Good luck with your decision. They are both wonderful (and very similar) resorts!

AKL definitely!!!! WL is too much like 'home' for a honeymoon if you are from the northwest.

I would go with the exotic AKL. If you want to save $$$$ go with a pool view - it is very romantic and you can see the animals from many public viewing areas.

Be sure to eat at JIKO and Boma. Yummy!

I love them both, but since you will be there in January, I would recommend that you stay at WL. In January, the weather can be variable. WL is very cozy when the weather is not. They have that big open fireplace that makes it very pleasant on not so pleasant days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter