Antarctica and other rides - duration?

vault19dweller

Mouseketeer
Hi guys,

I'm so sorry about all my recent questions in posts - we've got a day in SW recently added for just over a month away so I'm in massive planning mode.

Never been there - but we've got the 3 shows, and 2 tours, time all sorted (I hope *laughs*)

We plan on purchasing the Front of Line access just because of our limited time we have left.

We have about 1.5 hours in the morning and just before park close for "everything else" (eg: Manta and its aquarium / Kracken / Dolphin Cove / Pacific Point / Shark tank / Antarctica Empire of the Penguin)

It almost sounds like too much for just 3 hours, so am happy to cut things out where need be, but I am so lost when it comes to SW attraction duration's.

For example - Antarctica Empire of the Penguin - is that something that we'd spend 20 mins or so at, or a whole hour? (for 2 adults / no kids)

I'm trying to research wait times and ride durations and stuff but really struggling with the SW side of things :(

The penguin ride itself is pretty short. I can't see how it could have taken longer than about 15 minutes total including preshow. Then when you get to the end, it is so cold you don't last long watching the real penguins swim around.

What gets you is the line. It doesn't matter if everything else in the park is a walk on. Those penguins always seem have an hour long wait or more. I always try to do it very first, so we don't have to wait for it.

Thanks for that! Great info :thumbsup2

Unfortunately we cant do at park open because it opens at 9am, and the Behind the Scenes tour starts at 9.30 am

Am hoping if we get the quick queue thing it will help, but still doubtful.
Would it still be like an hour wait even with that front of line thing?

This is what we have so far:

8.20 am - Taxi from WDW POR to SW
9 am - Check in to tours
9.20 am - Head to Behind the Scenes tour location
9.30 am - Behind-the-Scenes Tour starts
10.30 am - Tour ends
10.35 am – spare time ~ 1 hr
11.45 am - Check in to reserved seating at Shamu Stadium
12 noon - One Ocean show starts
12.30 pm - Show finishes
12.35 pm - Grab lunch somewhere (30 mins)
1.10 pm - Head to Dolphin theater
1.30 pm- Blue Horizons
2 pm - Show ends / head to Seaport Theater
2.15 pm - Pets ahoy show starts
2.45 pm - Pets Ahoy finishes / head to Sea Lion & Otter tour
3 pm - Sea Lion & Otter tour starts
4 pm - Tour ends
4 to 5.30 pm – spare time ~ 1.5 hour
5.30 pm Park closes

Am assuming we'd probably use the first hour for a few rides or exhibits, and save Antarctica for the last half hour?

Or would it be better to get it done at the 10.30 am spare time given that's still morning? (rather than waiting till 4.30 or 5 pm)?

The behind the scenes tour does not start and end at the same place - I believe when the tour ends we were over by shark somewhere?? Hopefully someone else with a better memory will chime in ;-) so based on your touring plan I would spend your hour between the behind the scenes and Shamu doing things on that side of the park (for instance Wild Arctic, the animal ambassadors are over on that side of the park, feeding the sharks...) and then plan on Antarctica after the Sea Lion tour, since they are not too far from each other.

SW is by no means a huge park, but I still try not to go back and forth and back and forth all day...

I've used QQ for Antarctica over the 4th of July weekend, and I still don't think we waited more than 20 minutes - and the regular line was approaching 2 hours.

I wouldn't think there would be long lines if you have the QQ pass. The other option would be to try at the very end of the day. The lines maybe shorter by then.

As far as your breaks, I'm not sure you can fit very much in in the short time frames you have available. Especially, if you want to really watch the animals. If you just want a quick walk through, you will have better luck fitting it all in. I never seem to accomplish anywhere near as much at Sea World in a day as I do at Disney. It is so much more spread out, and the attractions all seem to take so much longer to experience with the exception of the coasters.

My advice is to just look at a map and choose activities based on what is near you at the time. You may not get it all done, but you will get more done than if you waste time criss-crossing all over the park.

Personally, I feel with your tight schedule you really need another day. We never do any tours and usually still end up needing 2 full days to see everything. Have you considered doing the add a day deal they have? It is only like $10 or $15 dollars to add a second day once you are in the parks. So, if you find once you get there, that you just can't fit it all in, you can add a second day before you leave at Guest Relations. This would allow you to relax and rush less and put less pressure on you to hit every show back to back which I don't think is realistic.

I'm suggesting this becuase I just took a closer look at your schedule, and I don't think you are going to be able to fit the shows in as you have them listed. It will all depend on how crowded it is when you go. On crowded days, they may close the theater 15 minutes or more before the show starts. I know even when we went, we couldn't finish a show and catch another one that started 15 minutes later, and crowds were at a moderate level, not bad. It just took too long to get out of the one theater and across the park to the next theater. The show would start before we could make it over, and all the decent seats were gone about 30 minutes before start time anyway.

I also agree with others. Really try and fit another day in if at all possible. You are going to feel so rushed. You are doing great tours I just wish you could have more time to take in the other things in the park.

Wild Arctic starts over by the turtle Trek area and when the tour ends you will be over at Wild Arctic. So that answers that question.

Front of the line passes will greatly reduce your wait time at Antarctica. Its well worth it just for that ride if you love the penguins. As for the other coasters I wouldn't expect much of a wait time for them when you are going.

Its like Disney. Don't rush the park there is so much to take in. If you don't get it all in on this trip make it a reason to come back next time. You have lots of new animal encounters from feeding dolphins and sting rays to seeing cool animals in the sea garden and underwater viewing areas.

hope this helps some.

Thanks for the replys everyone, will see what the airlines can do travel wise to see if we can add a day because it sounds worth it, but not 100% sure yet on how troublesome it will be changing booked flights. :(

Oh, and I really do appreciate the advise regarding where tours start and finish - was trying to find that info online to work out roughly what to prioritize in that area :)

Was thinking if I cant find the tour starts / ends (which people here have so kindly helped with) just to stick in that area according to what around in the map.

I think in the back of my mind I knew I wanted longer, really keen on it, will try to sort it all out! If I manage to reschedule flights / hotel / shuttle & hire cars, will definitely look at adding a second day! Didn't even know they had a deal where when you're there you can add another day while there for not too much!

I know the timing for the shows are a massive squeeze, I had 15 mins before Shamu because of the reserved seating, and half an hour before the dolphin show, and 15 mins before the pet one because they're next to each other - but that one was one I don't mind if we do or don't see it, would be good to see it, but wont ruin my day if we cant kind of thing.

Honestly no idea what to expect crowd wise, was hoping it would be low-crowds because of Superbowl Sunday?

Was looking into the deal where you can add a 2nd day for $20 instead of $70, glad to see it can be used within 7 days of your first day! (ie: it doesnt have to be the following consecutive day)

No, it doesn't have to be used consecutively. You have 7 days.

What we have been able to do on all our past visits is to buy a discounted weekday only ticket. Then we add a day and can go back on a Saturday or Sunday becuase the add a day ticket is not day specific even if your orginal ticket was. It has been a great deal for us as we have been able to go for 2 days for less than the cost of a regular one day ticket. Proably why Sea World doesn't really advertise this.

However, I do think I read where the price has increased now. My last trips I was able to get the $50 weekday ticket which I think is now $60, and then added a day for $10 which I think is now $15. But even $75 for 2 days is still not a bad deal.

*Just realized that they aren't currently offering the weekday ticket. That stinks. It was a great deal. I did notice they are offering a buy an adult get a kid free deal though, so that would be a great ticket. Especially if they let you pay the fee to add a day. You'd essentially be getting the kids tickets for 2 days for the price of the add a day ticket.

Awh sad, we cant add another day - the airline want over $600 to move our flight for just 2 people to the following day (even though we're calling months before the flight date)

I just cant really justify spending that much money just to move a flight back a day :(

At least I've got an excuse to go back to Florida one year - maybe - it is a long way away (36+ hours travel to get there) and is costing a small fortune - know all theme park vacations do, but not something we can do frequently.
Not sure if I'll get back any time soon, but at least Ive got more of a reason to now :rotfl2:

Given we cant really add a day, I might look at more ways to maximise time, maybe add reserved seating for the other shows so we still get good seats without needing to spend extra time lining up or something o_O

The only thing about the Antartica ride that was even remotely entertaining was the Penguin area. I though the actual ride was stupid. I know I might get flamed and not trying to be negative because I love Seaworld but just how I felt. I think manta is the best roller coaster in Florida so I would try to do it multiple times and Kraken is always awesome. The shows are really the highlights of the park.

Just remember that Many others just might be doing the same as you ...

& you all end up .... rushing to the same place at the same time.

You all exit at the same time ... so you just might take 10 min or more

( out of your 15 min to next attraction ) to leave " whatever " show.

You will be " Stressed out " by all the rushing about & bumping into others

doing the same thing as you.

Thanks for the replys everyone!

Think my biggest flaw in the plan was going from the dolphin show to the pets one, just added the pet one because its right across the way, but honestly don't mind if we miss that one, it was more there as a "if you can"

Our real "must do"s for us are the Shamu show (we've got reserved seating), dolphin show (should have time to queue for that) and the behind the scenes / otter tours :)

Honestly not sure what rides or anything else we'll even do, but have got us both the Quick Queue just in case (to save time for those in our spare times)

I had a few other queries I was wondering if anyone knew

• Does anyone happen to know where the Behind the Scenes or sea lion/otter tours end?
  • Has anyone else been during SuperBowl Sunday? Does that tend to make it more, or less, crowded?
  • Would adding even a half day help? Not sure we can add a full day - have never done theme parks in half days - would morning be better?
  • With the tours - do they have photographers? Are these included as part of the tour? or do you need to add a photo key to get tour photos (if there even are tour photos that is)

As far as I know " Reserved Seating " means that You will have a seat ,

in the center part of The stadium .

you will still have to enter the stadium the same way as everyone else .

You still have to climb the same steps & mixing with other guests , till you find your roped off area.

There is NO special way to exit the reserved area at the end of the show .

Everyone mixes together to exit .

If you haven't already purchased tickets, you might come out ahead buying annual passes (total cost for 2 APs: $156 plus tax). This can work out to be a better deal than buying a regular ticket and adding a day ($75 for any day ticket + $20 add a second day x 2 people = $190 plus tax). I think it's about a wash if they offer the weekday ticket at a reduced price like they did for 2014. Plus the AP comes with discounts on tours, meals, parking.

I have never been in Seaworld on Superbowl Sunday but I was in Disney World. That was actually our first trip and I didn't even realize it was that day until a month before our trip.

This was several years ago... but the crowds were GREAT. We didn't get there until 2PM but all the rides were walk-ons. Again that was Disney and probably 8 years (or more) ago... but given the chance I would certainly plan on Superbowl trips (unless the Giants were playing... :happytv: )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter