Anti-Catholic Slur on February Dis-Unplugged

All the guys on the podcast are the salt of the earth and are probably the most christian people out there with there charity work and very giving attitude. I for one will be humbled if i ever meet them offended by any of them never :) thanks podcast guys and keep up the great work.

I agree. Well said.

I usually lurk these boards, and have been lurking for years - but I feel the need to reply. I have been listening to the podcast for years, and I must say that the team has made comments that could offend just about anyone and everyone.

However, I find this kind of humor refreshing - I am really tired of the PC "watch what you say" attitude that is mainstream today. And also, many times they are making jokes about themselves as well...

I just listened to the episode again and I have to say, I'm surprised this is the issue they are getting flack for. This episode is rich with controversial topics. This is to say, if you are a regular listener, you know what to expect. As a regular listener, I know that I may not always agree with what the team says. I also know these are some of the kindest, most welcoming, hardest working, and compassionate people I *know*. The team has worked hard to create a welcoming environment where everyone is safe.

Exactly! :thumbsup2

However, I find this kind of humor refreshing - I am really tired of the PC "watch what you say" attitude that is mainstream today. And also, many times they are making jokes about themselves as well...

Amen! Their no-holds-barred sense of humor is part of what makes the podcast so great!

I'm catholic. I went to catholic school elementary and high school. I honestly can't even remember the comment that was made. Here is my advice... If you don't like the show... Don't listen. There are tons of disney podcasts out there that go out of the way to make sure they offend no one. I listen to the ones I like and I do not listen to the ones I don't. These are the choices we make everyday... In the shows we watch, music we listen to etc. These podcasters have a sarcastic sense of humor.. And that is why I enjoy the show and do not take offense. I hope they never get to the point where they censor themselves so much that they become just one of those disney podcasts that are all sugar and sunshine.

I'm catholic. I went to catholic school elementary and high school. I honestly can't even remember the comment that was made. Here is my advice... If you don't like the show... Don't listen. There are tons of disney podcasts out there that go out of the way to make sure they offend no one. I listen to the ones I like and I do not listen to the ones I don't. These are the choices we make everyday... In the shows we watch, music we listen to etc. These podcasters have a sarcastic sense of humor.. And that is why I enjoy the show and do not take offense. I hope they never get to the point where they censor themselves so much that they become just one of those disney podcasts that are all sugar and sunshine.

Amen. I hope they never censor themselves to the point that they are just like any other podcast (sugar coated). I love their humor, thier compassion and kindness towards all shows that the humor is just that...not a slam.

I think part of many problems today is the fact that everyone is too d@mn sensitive. Down with political correctness!!! :stir:

wdw71 said:
I think part of many problems today is the fact that everyone is too d@mn sensitive. Down with political correctness!!! :stir:

Agreed, and I hope they never change. I appreciate their humor, honesty and no holds attitude. I have a stressful job and this podcast keeps me grounded in reality. I've listened for years now (heard every episode) and can honestly say Tuesday is my favorite day of the work week. Where else can you hear about the "Thanksgiving soup kitchen" and "who wants more bad"?

Oh god (lol) I hope they didnt apologize! people should not have to apologize for another person's inability to move on.

Amen. I hope they never censor themselves to the point that they are just like any other podcast (sugar coated). I love their humor, thier compassion and kindness towards all shows that the humor is just that...not a slam.

Where's the "like" button? Agreed to both!!

I am a few weeks behind listening to the shows. I only just recently listened to a show from the end of February which contained an insulting slur about the pope. The dis-crew chortled along.

To anyone who wants to remind me that "we live in a free country" or " it was only a joke" -- if you get your jollies from juvenile sexual humor and insults about other people's religion, you are welcome to them.

I don't know if the comment was intended to be mean spirited or not. I am just saying that it was insulting to to at least some Catholic listeners (and I would hope others) and that an on show apology would be nice.

I am confused, the comment I heard was something along the lines of 'you would have to resign as pope' after talking about boy bands, dapper dans, and menudo. I absolutely don't even understand where the pope comment ties in and I really don't understand where the insult is. Perhaps it is over my head but I'm wondering how much is being assumed or perceived? I don't doubt you are offended because you say you are but it might help to enlighten people like me if you help me understand why the comment is offensive.

"Oh they are just like that, they goof on everyone!" That's no excuse, perhaps there needs to be some changes to the podcast......? Perhaps a slander lawsuit would change perceptions as to what is acceptable and what is not. Or maybe direct messages to advertisers asking why they advertise on a site that permits that type of libelous denigration of a religion, perhaps it's theirs. :confused3 Just playing devil's advocate.......anyone remember Opie and Anthony on the radio, obviously not as bad as that but bad never the less..........no excuse.......

Throwing a law suit at something is not the answer. That in itself has become lazy and annoying..."something's not going my way so I'll sue someone for it."

I agree with others, jokes are jokes, they are made about all groups. So long as they are not bullying or harassing then its fine. Just take it in jest and move on.

Everyone is defensive of their belief system, for example religion. I understand this.

Everyone has the right to their own opinion. I understand this.

I heard the comment about the Pope. I too practice the Catholic religion. Yes I laughed. But I also told my self as I was laughing "that was just wrong", still laughing until the next comment. I laughed, not because I am against my religion but because it was funny. And honestly I forgot what was said by the next comment. Life is to short, and I tend to just take things in stride. If I got mad at everyone who slammed the Catholic Church I would be a very miserable person.

The Podcast team are not mean people and the joke was a joke. And honestly as a Catholic I need to laugh from time to time because as part this religious group we are dealing with bad things that are happening. For example Priests and children. I am not making light of this subject AT ALL. But I feel that until the higher ups, example the Pope, actually deals with this problem, then our religious group will be made fun of or looked at badly.

And honestly, if you want to be upset with someone, it should be the Pope. Until he deals with what is happening within the Church and actually does something about it, the Catholic Church will continue to look bad and be the brunt of jokes.

If Pete or anyone in the Podcast Team says something that is offensive, then you have the right not to listen. And you have the right to point out what offended you. But know that the Team says things and makes fun of things all the time. I have lost count on how many times they have made fun of Disney. And yet we still love Disney.

As a non-catholic, I am sick and tired of all the pope coverage that looks like propaganda and glorification of this one religion all over the news right now. Particularly annoyed by the frequent statement from major news organizations that he is "the world's spiritual leader".

I was tired of all the Pope coverage as well AND I am Catholic....:lmao:

I can understand the "world's spiritual leader" comment. I think it is misleading. I tend to take this as the media meaning the Catholic World, which is funny in it self because there is only one world. But honestly I do think that is what the media is saying. He is the Catholic world's spiritual leader. I guess we need to write to the media outlets and tell them to correct this statement and be more specific.

I subscribe to the Mel Brooks School of Satire. Go overboard in offensiveness to the point that it becomes hilarious. He's brilliant at that.

Speaking of hilarious -- am I the only one that feels the podcast members sound like the PBS announcers who SNL satires?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter