Anxiety/Major Panic Attacks

Caryn220

Earning My Ears
Hi all. New here so hope this is the correct spot to post. My fiancé and I are planning a trip for October. Lately, I've been experiencing major panic disorder. Even being in the doctors office I had a major panic attack and he almost sent me to to the ER.

It's sad to think I can't live a "normal" life because of this.

I always think of Disney as my happy place but now I'm so scared to get on a plane and be away from home for a week. Wondering if anyone else who experiences extreme anxiety and panic can relate? What did you do to get through. What did you do before your trip and during the trip if an attack happened?

Welcome to disboards. I can't relate to your situation, but I'm sure others will post.

I will say Disney World is a happy place for me.

You might want to try a smaller vacation close to home first. See how it goes. You can always bail and get home fast if it's really bad. You will be able to perhaps figure out your triggers and help yourself out for a bigger vacation.

can you take short trips that are closer to home and then see how that goes also are you seeing someone about your anxiety panic attack

can you take short trips that are closer to home and then see how that goes also are you seeing someone about your anxiety panic attack
Actually have an over night trip this Monday. Seeing someone and was prescribed Xanax

I would recommend you see a psychiatrist ASAP. In my experience, primary care doctors are not the best at dealing with Panic Disorder other than doing a full checkup to make sure it is isn't anything else. And panic disorder is serious, it's not just a matter of mind over matter, but you want a true professional guiding you. A book I recommend is "Surviving Panic Disorder" by Stuart Shipko, you can get it on Amazon.

The great news is there is a lot of time between now and October, so with some swift action, I bet you can make great strides and be able to take your trip worry-free. But I would really recommend not waiting, but getting some great professionals on board to help you back to equilibrium.

I would recommend you see a psychiatrist ASAP. In my experience, primary care doctors are not the best at dealing with Panic Disorder other than doing a full checkup to make sure it is isn't anything else. And panic disorder is serious, it's not just a matter of mind over matter, but you want a true professional guiding you. A book I recommend is "Surviving Panic Disorder" by Stuart Shipko, you can get it on Amazon.

The great news is there is a lot of time between now and October, so with some swift action, I bet you can make great strides and be able to take your trip worry-free. But I would really recommend not waiting, but getting some great professionals on board to help you back to equilibrium.

Thanks for the input and agreed! Mainly went to the primary care doctor because I was having some chest pains. Panic attack took place once I was there. Went to just make sure the chest pains were nothing serious. I do go to therapy and working on finding a psychiatrist. Like I originally said, Disney is my happy place so I would love to be there worry free

I have anxiety and I have two kids with anxiety. I couldn't have done Disney without Ativan. And even with it, there were times I needed to just get out of the crowds. The good news is you can go to your happy place. I think you just need to plan ahead and make sure your expectations for your trip are reasonable. I don't think saying you are going to be there "worry-free" with an anxiety disorder is realistic. But saying you are going to enjoy yourself, despite any worries that come up and that you are going to have a plan for handling those worries, would be a realistic endeavor. For what it is worth, I only had one panic attack the whole time I was there last summer and it was after eating breakfast with Stitch and Lilo at the Poly. I don't know if it was the crowds or the smell (there is an air freshener there that bothers my allergies) or what. I was actually just hiding in the bathroom trying to calm down for maybe 45 minutes while my husband and kids wandered around the lobby. Despite having had a panic attack there, I am going back again this summer. I will go back to the site of my panic attack.
I think if you sit down ahead of your trip and plan out the things that concern you and then write out a plan for how you will handle each of those things. Or don't even write it out, but just figure out ahead of time what you are going to do about it.
I have a fear of enclosed spaces so I planned out transportation pretty thoroughly so as not to be on transportation during crowded times. It didn't always work out the way I wanted. I did have a situation where the monorail sat on the tracks for about 10 minutes and that freaked me out. But after that happened, I just didn't take the monorail again.

Thanks for the input and agreed! Mainly went to the primary care doctor because I was having some chest pains. Panic attack took place once I was there. Went to just make sure the chest pains were nothing serious. I do go to therapy and working on finding a psychiatrist. Like I originally said, Disney is my happy place so I would love to be there worry free

One thing that helps me at WDW is to remember that, as far as vacation destinations go, although it is crowded at times, it really is very safe. I think that's one reason why it appeals to so many who have all kinds of medical conditions. CMs everywhere, first aid, lots of places to just go chill and watch a show, loads of drinks and snacks and bathrooms and really everything you need. The other good thing is that it is rather anonymous, so even if you don't feel well for a moment and you take a breather, you (most likely) won't even be noticed with all of the other action going on. Keep pushing onward and get a good psychiatrist to help you explore any medications that may help as well. Wishing you a great trip to your happy place :)

Hi all. New here so hope this is the correct spot to post. My fiancé and I are planning a trip for October. Lately, I've been experiencing major panic disorder. Even being in the doctors office I had a major panic attack and he almost sent me to to the ER.

It's sad to think I can't live a "normal" life because of this.

I always think of Disney as my happy place but now I'm so scared to get on a plane and be away from home for a week. Wondering if anyone else who experiences extreme anxiety and panic can relate? What did you do to get through. What did you do before your trip and during the trip if an attack happened?

"Normal" is a setting on the washing machine.

Please don't let that define you. I'm not "normal". Never really have been, and sure won't ever be in the future. That's OK.

My mom was a Special Needs teacher, and she told me once that everyone has something. Everyone - every human on the planet - has something "wrong" with them. It might be that they have a hard time with math. Maybe they are dyslexic. Maybe they are color blind. Maybe their legs don't work right. They don't have a sense of humor. They can't remember a joke to save their life. They have no sense of direction. It doesn't matter - no one is perfect. Everyone has "something" Some people just hide their "something" better than others.

So don't let your "something" define you.

Both my DH and my DD have anxiety/panic issues. What works for them when we are planning a trip is to slow down. Stop, and really think about the trip ahead. Don't try to "microplan" and schedule every waking moment, but simply think about each day, what park(s) we might visit, what & where we want to eat, how that day "looks" overall. Then, they do a self-check to see how that plan makes them feel. What needs to be adjusted. What could be changed, or eliminated, or added to create the most possible comfortable day - and week - and trip - for them.

We plan. We plan some more. And then, of course, some of our plans have to changed along the way. That's OK, because by then we have identified possible other scenarios for that day (What if it rains? What if it's too hot? What if it's too cold? Too crowded?) and we implement them. I keep a note in my phone for each day, with a list of the possible "other" stuff we can do, so that in a moment of anxiety, we have a possible concrete plan to fall back on.

Sometimes, we have to fall all the way back to the Resort. That's still not a bad thing. We're at Disney World! :)

Disney World is your happy place - and I hope with all my heart that you find a way to go, and be comfortable on your next trip.

I have some anxiety issues and have had panic attack and am afraid of heights. Oddly, I'm fine on roller coasters but sometimes have a hard time in elevators (it's not the enclosed space, it's the height). I was at another amusement park just today and was riding the Ferris wheel with DH and my two DS's. I got SO SCARED I was gripping the side of the car. I was really struggling not to freak out and was so glad when it ended. In an attempt not to bug out my kids, I tried to divert my thoughts and laugh through it.

I say this so you know you aren't alone.

Like the PP's, I urge you to see a good psychiatrist. They can make a huge difference. Notwithstanding today's little episode, they have for me!

My advice would be to not put any pressure on yourself. Know that if you have to leave a line, so what? It isn't the end of the world. If you need to find someplace quiet to sit for a while, then that is fine too. No pressure no pressure no pressure.

My son has OCD and his anxiety can get pretty bad. I read some articles before hand about dealing with anxiety on vacation and most said that a lot of people have relief from their anxiety on vacation. A lot of people said their anxiety was amped up before hand but after they got their it was better.

This Wasn't the case for my son but, it really encouraged him to really work with his psych and work his CBT. He wasn't working it before and was frustrated that the world wouldn't just let him avoid his all of triggers even if it meant moving mountings and let him follow his compulsions. Then he got a taste of how limiting that was when it really held him back on our March trip. The promise that he could enjoy Disney again is his new carrot.

To help make the next trip more successful we are looking at what specific things triggered his anxiety in the parks and doing exposure therapy and planning his "toolbox" for how to deal. You could try something similar, think out what your current triggers are and which will be present or magnified in the parks based on what you know about the parks.

The worst thing you can do is worry about worrying. If you focus on how you might have a panic attack in the parks it will bring on an attack and then the self fufilling prophecy will become its own issue.

I have suffered severe anxiety in the past. I had to find what helped me the best, and snow when I start to feel anxious, I have things I do to help me settle down and deal with the panic. For me personally, I have to move (lots of walking is done when I am stressed) and talk to my DH who just listens. After I calm down, he echoes things that were not reasonable in my rant, and helps me identify my thinking errors. I am then able to replace these thoughts with more reasonable truths and do some positive self talking, I have now been using these techniques for over 12 years, and for me it works. Since you have several months, work with your councilor and find the techniques that work for you and practice them until they become second nature and automatic for you.

Good luck on working this out. Just know that you are not alone, and you have lots of love and support.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter