Any advice for first time Tokyo Disney goer?

kdl121

Earning My Ears
My friend and I are going to Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Sea as our graduation present (she only knows we're going to Japan for ten days ... I haven't told her two of the days are Disney related!) princess:

I was just wondering if anyone who's been has advice on clothing (for end of July weather), what to bring, what to do first, etc ...

Also, could you share your restaurant experiences? We're not staying at a Disney hotel, but any restaurant(s) that you've been to in the two parks, I would love to know what you ate and what you thought of it.

One more thing! The Westernland Picture Parlour ... is it worth it? Do the workers there speak english?

Thanks to any and all help! :love:

Tokyo can be rough without help. If you haven't lined up someone to meet you at the airport, consider doing that. Do not just count on finding someone who speaks English and is willing to help you.

It is not like visiting Europe. It's very foreign.

Unless i were on some kimd of American-friendly tour, I wouldn't go without a Japanese person to help me.

And for the love of God, don't call them "Asians." This is politically correct only in America. In Asia, they don't all liked to be lumped together, especially the ones who hate each other, like China and Japan. Some people chalk it up to "stupid Americans", but some take serious offense.

Good luck!!!!!!

Lucky You!!! DH and I will be doing something similar in Oct. I highly recommend that you check out the Tokyo Disneyland forum here:

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=178

They will have lots of information for you. Especially, read some of the trip reports- they will answer a LOT of the questions that you have. In particular, lurkyloo's TR is perhaps the best TR ever written on any vacation, ever!

Oh, and the weather in the summer is HOT. and HUMID.

I was just wondering if anyone who's been has advice on clothing (for end of July weather), what to bring, what to do first, etc ...

Also, could you share your restaurant experiences? We're not staying at a Disney hotel, but any restaurant(s) that you've been to in the two parks, I would love to know what you ate and what you thought of it.

One more thing! The Westernland Picture Parlour ... is it worth it? Do the workers there speak english?

Thanks to any and all help! :love:

Have fun :) We have been twice, both times were great experiences. If you want to PM feel free to, though it has been a couple years so some things may have changed.

At the end of July it is very likely to be hot and humid. We went about this time during one of our trips and even though we were pushing the water non-stop it was still very hard to stay hydrated. I highly suggest bringing a water bottle with you, there are refilling stations at most of the restaurants where you can fill up again.

Also, if you can go during the week. The crowd levels are a lot different. And of course you'll want to be there early.

The fastpasses machines work the same way :)

We had two very picky little boys so we stuck mostly to the burger joints. We did eat at the Queen of Hearts restaurant in Fantasyland (sorry I'm totally blanking on the name) and that was great. Lots of variety and I loved the decorations inside. One thing to be aware of if you're used to American sized portion is that the Japanese ones are much smaller. This is also very true of the drinks. Both food and drinks are also more expensive than in the states (I know, right?) And the souvenirs are more expensive as well. Oh and also, keep in mind that foods that are the same name may not be the same. Like pizza's. I've never been able to bring myself to try another bite of Japanese pizzas... or hotdogs for that matter.

I haven't done the Westernland picture thing, didn't even know about it

As to what the PP said about traveling in Japan, I found this both true and untrue, but take it with a grain of salt from me as we lived in Okinawa for three years and adjusted to a lot. A lot of the younger Japanese speak some english, but fluent english is rare. The train/subway system is very easy to use, but you'll want to have an english map on hand before you get there and know the basic layout and stops. Also know if you take the train/subway it's not just one fare, you pay depending on the distance traveled. Oh, and if you're hunting the restroom ask for the toilet.

We stayed in Tokyo for a week twice and ventured out of the city on both trips (once to Hiroshima and once to Hakone). We took only public transport, and did it all with two toddlers. But we're also the insanely adventurous type (or insanely stupid, take your pick!). The one thing I do have to say for the Japanese people is that they generally will try to be helpful. I had a cab driver turn off the fare once because he didn't know exactly where we were going and felt as if he couldn't take our money! And no tipping, tipping can be considered an insult. If there's anything more specific I can help with I'd be happy to :goodvibes And HAVE FUN!

Tokyo can be rough without help. If you haven't lined up someone to meet you at the airport, consider doing that. Do not just count on finding someone who speaks English and is willing to help you.

It is not like visiting Europe. It's very foreign.

Unless i were on some kimd of American-friendly tour, I wouldn't go without a Japanese person to help me.

This is crazy bad advice. Japan may be foreign, but signage in Tokyo usually is in both English and Japanese, and at airports and other major public facilities (i.e., Tokyo Disney), there will be employees with at least basic English skills. It certainly helps to prepare (buy a good map, learn some phrases, etc.), and expect periodic bouts of confusion/gesticulation, but you shouldn't be dissuaded from going.

A (somewhat out of date) page of tips based on my own visits to TDR - http://www.thirdamendment.com/tokyodisney.html.

This is crazy bad advice. Japan may be foreign, but signage in Tokyo usually is in both English and Japanese, and at airports and other major public facilities (i.e., Tokyo Disney), there will be employees with at least basic English skills. It certainly helps to prepare (buy a good map, learn some phrases, etc.), and expect periodic bouts of confusion/gesticulation, but you shouldn't be dissuaded from going.

A (somewhat out of date) page of tips based on my own visits to TDR - http://www.thirdamendment.com/tokyodisney.html.

I advise getting help. You advise expecting bouts of confusion/gesticulation.

You say my advice is bad.

One man's meat is another man's poison.

I don't have any advice but wow, what a great graduation present! I hope to do the same thing for my older DD when she graduates if our finances allow.

I have been to Japan and Tokyo Disneyworld and had no language problems.
In fact, in a move that surprised us, no-one spoke japanese to us. They automatically began speaking english and so we found Tokyo the easiest experience. :) My partner and I went as solo travellers, organised it all ourselves and everything went smoothly. their public transport is the best! I highly recommend their trains

If you travel out to some of the more scenic areas you will have a mixed experience. And I do recommend you travel out of Tokyo - the rest of Japan is astonishing! Great food, loveliest people, wonderful sites, interesting history, felt very safe; one of the best holidays I have ever had and once I get over my WDW addiction I will return.:love: My partner and I did learn some basic japanese and used this when out in the country, and further south in Kyoto, Nara etc - but easily found of heaps of people who spoke english. People would notice the gesticulation and maps and just walk up and offer to help.

TDL is dual language - all the signage is dual, plenty of CMs speak english, and for shows they give you either a printed english language card or a headset with english commentary. too easy!!

A couple of others mentioned that disboards has a TDL board, people have posted plenty of trip reports. There are more active chat boards on Tripadvisor; Micechat; Laughing Place; LP also, whilst old, has excellent photos and theme*park*review has great, photo heavy, trip reports including other parks in Japan such as Sanrio's Hello Kitty World!!:rolleyes1

go and enjoy!

You will have a GREAT time in Japan and an even better time at Tokyo Disney, in my opinion the best Disney parks on Earth! Everyone does not speak English, but I could usually find a manager at the park or at a hotel, certainly at the airport to help. Signage in subways airports and the parks was in English and Japan. Can not wait to go back. One thing, you may want to spend three days at Tokyo Disney!

If the weather in Japan is anything like the weather in Korea (and I'm pretty sure it is) it will be hot, humid, and rainy at the end of July. Bring an umbrella and possibly a poncho.
Bring a pair of socks to carry around with you if you'll be wearing sandals, in case any of the restaurants (or other places) you go to require you to remove your shoes (not at Disney, but elsewhere in Japan).

I advise getting help. You advise expecting bouts of confusion/gesticulation.

Which is no reason to be discouraged from going. If minor obstacles are too much to deal with when traveling, Europe, Orlando, and virtually everywhere else will also be "poison", to use your turn of phrase.

Thank you everyone for congratulations and advice :) I'll definitely prepare for language barriers, because this is my first trip outside of North America ... but from what everyone is saying, it shouldn't be too bad :) However, my motto is "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" ... if there's confusion, my friend and I will deal with it the best way possible!

If anyone has any more advice, feel free to share! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter