Any Budget Stocking gift ideas???

One of the best pieces of advice for staying on budget was given to me by another DISer on the Budget Board two years ago: Get a paper lunch bag for each stocking recipient; put all stocking purchases in the lunch bag; when the lunch bag is full, stop buying.

I also try to stick under $5 for each stuffer (for the kids, anyway). I don't always make it, but the less I spend per stuffer, the less I spend in total.

Any ideas for older kids?
I have a 16 year old son, a 13 year old daughter and an almost 12 year old daughter. The stuff at the dollar spot won't work for us. I like the ideas of toothbrushes, slippers, chapstick and some mini sharpies and maybe some hair clips for when my oldest DD straightens h4r hair. Cosmetics for the oldest one are hard as she only likes specific brands and i am nervous to pick something out for her. My youngest DD is not into makeup or bath products yet and is over the webkinz and hannah montana like stuff. I am kind of stuck on ideas for her as she is in a transition phase too old for little girl stuff and not interested in beauty stuff. I don't mind candy and treats as we don't even keep cookies in the house on a regular basis.

Any ideas for teens and tweens are appreciated.

One idea for your son: At WDW, my DS8 was facinated by an older boy playing with a hacky sack at the bus stop. I looked at the local sports shop and was able to get a nice one for DS's stocking for about $10.

Other ideas: school supplies, hats, gloves, grooming items (perfume, hairbrushes, deoderant, etc..), t-shirt (roll it up tight), GC (say, for the movies or fast food), snack foods, card or dice games, wallet or change purse

I hope this helps!

Here are a few other tips to cheaply fill stockings:

1. Instead of aiming for cheap, aim for big. $3.99 may be a huge amount for a lipstick sized stocking stuffer, but for a pair of Totes slippers, it's a great price (Kohl's, Black Friday ad, if you're curious). Scarves, gloves, paperback books, and full size bottles of fancy bubble baths all fit this bill.

2. Join a buying club. It's a budget tip that seems to apply for everything, but we started a buying club and we can get huge tea samplers from name brands like Numi, Stash, or Celestial Seasonings for $2, or a giant bag of Yummy Earth candy for a similar price.

3. Ethnic markets, especially Eastern European and Italian ones around Christmas, or Asian ones for quirky candies for teens. Very cheap, and the candies they sell are like distilled Christmas.

And just to continue the suggestions for items to put into stockings, rather than strategies: reusable shopping bags (I like Chico bags because they fold up small, but at $5 a pop, I need to put in a bulk order to make them affordable), tennis balls or golf balls for players, slightly luxurious foods from places like TJ Maxx (nice big bag of fancy pasta shapes, jar of nice sauce, and a wooden spoon can be around $5 and fills the stocking, I always get a giant thing of marzipan for a few bucks, too).

1. Instead of aiming for cheap, aim for big. $3.99 may be a huge amount for a lipstick sized stocking stuffer, but for a pair of Totes slippers, it's a great price (Kohl's, Black Friday ad, if you're curious). Scarves, gloves, paperback books, and full size bottles of fancy bubble baths all fit this bill.

I'll agree with this. The last couple of years, Santa has brought body parts for the kids' Mr. Potato Heads... the box of parts cost ~$5 but takes up a LOT of room in the stocking.

So, $5-10 for something bulky is far more economical than $5-10 for something small.

I usually put a rolled up magazine in their stockings, sports illustrated, etc. It takes up alit of room. And this year I'm getting my son some of the bubble wrap that you pop, duct tape( he's constantly taking mine). And my daughter is getting kitchen spoons, etc (she's getting married in Jan, so this will be her last stocking).

Oh, don't make it her last stocking...Make it a couple stocking next year. One of the few good ideas my MIL has implemented and I will use when my girls marry.

Any ideas for older kids?
I have a 16 year old son, a 13 year old daughter and an almost 12 year old daughter. The stuff at the dollar spot won't work for us. I like the ideas of toothbrushes, slippers, chapstick and some mini sharpies and maybe some hair clips for when my oldest DD straightens h4r hair. Cosmetics for the oldest one are hard as she only likes specific brands and i am nervous to pick something out for her. My youngest DD is not into makeup or bath products yet and is over the webkinz and hannah montana like stuff. I am kind of stuck on ideas for her as she is in a transition phase too old for little girl stuff and not interested in beauty stuff. I don't mind candy and treats as we don't even keep cookies in the house on a regular basis.

Any ideas for teens and tweens are appreciated.

I don't have older children, so take this for what its worth :)

What about passes to the movie theater? It doesn't "stuff" the stocking, of course, but if you put the pass in a little box and wrapped it, it would add some bulk to it.

My husband and sister in law used to get little boxes of cereal in their stockings even as they were in college. Something fun, especially if you can find the "kiddie" kind of cereals. They also used to get small bottles of SunnyD drinks. It was something they had as small children, and to this day, Santa still puts cereal and SunnyD in my husband's stockings!

I don't have older children, so take this for what its worth :)

What about passes to the movie theater? It doesn't "stuff" the stocking, of course, but if you put the pass in a little box and wrapped it, it would add some bulk to it.

My husband and sister in law used to get little boxes of cereal in their stockings even as they were in college. Something fun, especially if you can find the "kiddie" kind of cereals. They also used to get small bottles of SunnyD drinks. It was something they had as small children, and to this day, Santa still puts cereal and SunnyD in my husband's stockings!

I love these ideas and will use them for my DD (10.5)!!! :thumbsup2

Books a million have these adorable little boxed kits (christmas kazoo, grow your own bonsai, whack a mole etc.) marked down from $9 and $7 to $1. I asked the store manager and he said they're doing it nationwide for the holidays. I bought 26 of them and with my discount card it made them $.90.:banana:

I am really pushing being cheap this year :laughing: and I have been sending away for a lot of freebies to stuff in stockings. Some are just a free lip gloss or trial size shampoo - we are going to Disney in jan so I am doing these for the kids
http://baggagelabel.klm.com/
Check out some free stuff boards and blogs and start signing up now so they come in time.

Also, my husbands family wraps everything in the stocking - everything! Toothbrushes, emery boards, my MIL even individually wraps the lottery tickets :laughing: I thought that was so bizarre when we met, but I like how it prolongs the stocking "experience", since we are definitely big stocking fans here too.

Oh, don't make it her last stocking...Make it a couple stocking next year. One of the few good ideas my MIL has implemented and I will use when my girls marry.

My Mom does this...stockings are her "it" presents. At first it was difficult for her because she was used to doing girl stockings, so when we got married, she had to really think what DH might like. She has it down pat now! Every year DH looks forward to his stocking and, honestly, after 14 years, he has certain expected items. There is always a new wallet & a Snickers bar (DH's fav). Some other things he receives are computer gaming magazines, lotto tickets, McD's gc, markers that write on DVDs, gum, Michigan State University/Spartan stuff, a special veggie knife (long story ;)), and stuff for lefties-like scissors.

Oh and for those of you who keep saying you are "being cheap" (you make it sound so dirty :lmao:).

You are not being cheap....you are being frugal! :)

Target dollar spot has small hand gel in winter scents

Peppermint, vanilla, & frosty berry.

My mom and mil are both teachers
so they are both getting a gel bouquet this year.

DD got one in her lunch box this week.

The kids love going to the Redbox machines and picking out movies so I think I'll make a couple "dvd rental" coupons for their stockings this year. I also always like getting the cheapies from Avon...lip stuff, lotion, etc.

I agree with PP that suggested Five Below. That store is great for stocking stuffers and even little "extra" presents. For my DD13 they have tons of lipglosses, nail polish (even the quirky colored ones= like yellow, teal, orange etc.). funky design socks, manicure sets, hair clips & accessories, cell phone cases, I-pod covers, books, calendars, and various items for their bedroom (picture frames that say me & my BFF or friends, wall hangings,etc.).

For my DS8 they have books, games, sports stuff (even team specific items), craft kits, posters, school items (pens, pencils, crayons etc.), coloring/activity books and other toys.

Books a million have these adorable little boxed kits (christmas kazoo, grow your own bonsai, whack a mole etc.) marked down from $9 and $7 to $1. I asked the store manager and he said they're doing it nationwide for the holidays. I bought 26 of them and with my discount card it made them $.90.:banana:

Any ideas as to whether or not these are available online? I've looked on their site & can't find them. These would be perfect gifts for my students. Thanks!

can you fins someone who sells avon? my sister had an avon catalog from a girl at her work -- they had some adorable chapsticks and mini lotions for under $1. They were decorated all Christmasy.

I think it's walmart.com where you can sign up for samples. I sign up for samples all year and then fill my neices stockings (they are in college) with samples of lotions, detergent, snacks, makeup, etc. I add quarters for laundry. They love the samples. I also get loads of nailpoilish when cvs has it on sale and load them up with that as well. They love it.

Also, I go to Michael's and they have a huge selection in their $1, $2 bins.

Every year after school starts, I load up on click pencils, highlighters, and other small school supplies. When they are on clearance, they are mere pennies. I pack those away and save them for the stockings. It's about this time of year the kids start needing new ones.

can you fins someone who sells avon? my sister had an avon catalog from a girl at her work -- they had some adorable chapsticks and mini lotions for under $1. They were decorated all Christmasy.

You can order online from Avon too.

Thanks for the great ideas!:thumbsup2
I just ordered the Big Parade of Holiday treats that includes : 4 holiday Hand cremes, 4 kids holiday bath time paints, and 8 winter treats lip balms from avon.com for $12.00, got free shipping so with tax only $13.26 :woohoo:

I will split up the contents of this pack between my two girls and they will love these in their stockings!

Thank-you!!

How about a couple tech deck mini skateboards for your DS12? They are $3, sometimes on sale for less.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter