Any Delta Frequent Flyers Here???

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
We're flying Delta for the first time and I was reading some of the forums over on FlyerTalk and now I am afraid I am going to do something that is "out of line". I always want to be prepared and at least look like I know what I am doing when it comes to travelling. Most importantly, I do not want to inconvenience or insult a fellow traveler due to my own ignorance.

That being said, I have a few questions that I am hoping someone here can answer since the folks over on FT are a little intimidating. We have 2 flights. The first leg is from GRR to DTW and we are on a CRJ700. The second leg is from DTW to MCO and we are on a 757-200(75H). I have not flown on either type of plane before so I am completely clueless about both of them. I've searched YouTube and SeatGuru to try and get as much information as I can, but I still need a bit more help.

First question...we have Comfort+ tickets. I understand that Delta boards in "zones". What exactly do we need to do (or NOT do) at the gate? As I understand it, we have "SkyPriority Boarding"...I have no idea what that means...we normally fly SWA. We only have carry-on bags so overhead bin space is paramount, which is precisely why I purchased the Comfort+ ticket upgrade. I know that on the first leg, our rolling bags will be gate checked since they will not fit in the overhead bins...at least I don't think they will. They are "standard" 22" spinner bags which I have read are too big for the overhead bins in regional jets. I understand the process for gate checking the bags since we did that several times when our kids were still in car seats/strollers. Do we NEED to board early (to make sure we get the overhead bin space) or is our bin space "guaranteed"? The Comfort+ category advertises "dedicated overhead bin space right above your seat" so I just assumed that it wouldn't matter if we got on the plane first or last. Is there any advantage to boarding early and getting settled? Like do they serve you a beverage or something? If not, I'd prefer to wait since I get a little anxious being in the enclosed plane and I prefer to spend as little time as possible on the plane. I have an aisle seat and my daughters have the row across from me so it's not like any of us would have to get situated around another passenger who is already seated. I'm not talking about waiting until the final boarding call or being last in line or anything like that. I'm just wondering if there is any reason why we would want to board as early as possible. If not, I'm fine with hanging back and letting the crowd get settled first. We will be at the gate at least an hour before we leave.

Second question...this one is kind of aircraft-specific...the second plane (757-200) apparently boards from the "middle" and not from the front. The entrance doors are actually behind our seats. So, how does this work when we exit? The first class cabin would be in position behind us to exit the plane, which seems to be a disadvantage for those of a "higher class". When we are ready to get off the plane, the door is only 2 rows behind us, which seems to be very advantageous for a quick exit, but I don't want to cut someone off if I am supposed to wait or something. Along a similar line, since I haven't ever flown in an aircraft with a First Class cabin, I see that there are lavatories in the front, middle and rear of the plane. I am assuming that the lavatory in the front is for ONLY the first class passengers, correct? I wouldn't want to commit faux pas and try and use a restroom that I'm not supposed to use.

Third question...drinks. I get very anxious when I fly and I "treat" it with a drink or two since I cannot handle medication. I am 99% certain that there is no beverage service on our first flight (it's only about 25 minutes at cruising altitude) but on the second flight, do they serve anything before take off for those with priority boarding? Or is that just for first class? I can always have a beverage between flights (we have an hour and 45 minute layover) and then wait until the beverage service on the second flight.

Final question....boarding passes. Our printer at home picked this week to die. Are there kiosks at most airports where I can print our boarding passes or will we have to wait in a line? As I said, we are not checking bags so we wouldn't otherwise need to go to the ticket counter. We all have the mobile app and I plan to use it for our BP's but I still like to have paper copies too.

Sorry for all of the questions, but I appreciate any information that you can provide:flower3:

We're flying Delta for the first time and I was reading some of the forums over on FlyerTalk and now I am afraid I am going to do something that is "out of line". I always want to be prepared and at least look like I know what I am doing when it comes to travelling. Most importantly, I do not want to inconvenience or insult a fellow traveler due to my own ignorance.

That being said, I have a few questions that I am hoping someone here can answer since the folks over on FT are a little intimidating. We have 2 flights. The first leg is from GRR to DTW and we are on a CRJ700. The second leg is from DTW to MCO and we are on a 757-200(75H). I have not flown on either type of plane before so I am completely clueless about both of them. I've searched YouTube and SeatGuru to try and get as much information as I can, but I still need a bit more help.

First question...we have Comfort+ tickets. I understand that Delta boards in "zones". What exactly do we need to do (or NOT do) at the gate? As I understand it, we have "SkyPriority Boarding"...I have no idea what that means...we normally fly SWA. We only have carry-on bags so overhead bin space is paramount, which is precisely why I purchased the Comfort+ ticket upgrade. I know that on the first leg, our rolling bags will be gate checked since they will not fit in the overhead bins...at least I don't think they will. They are "standard" 22" spinner bags which I have read are too big for the overhead bins in regional jets. I understand the process for gate checking the bags since we did that several times when our kids were still in car seats/strollers. Do we NEED to board early (to make sure we get the overhead bin space) or is our bin space "guaranteed"? The Comfort+ category advertises "dedicated overhead bin space right above your seat" so I just assumed that it wouldn't matter if we got on the plane first or last. Is there any advantage to boarding early and getting settled? Like do they serve you a beverage or something? If not, I'd prefer to wait since I get a little anxious being in the enclosed plane and I prefer to spend as little time as possible on the plane. I have an aisle seat and my daughters have the row across from me so it's not like any of us would have to get situated around another passenger who is already seated. I'm not talking about waiting until the final boarding call or being last in line or anything like that. I'm just wondering if there is any reason why we would want to board as early as possible. If not, I'm fine with hanging back and letting the crowd get settled first. We will be at the gate at least an hour before we leave.

Second question...this one is kind of aircraft-specific...the second plane (757-200) apparently boards from the "middle" and not from the front. The entrance doors are actually behind our seats. So, how does this work when we exit? The first class cabin would be in position behind us to exit the plane, which seems to be a disadvantage for those of a "higher class". When we are ready to get off the plane, the door is only 2 rows behind us, which seems to be very advantageous for a quick exit, but I don't want to cut someone off if I am supposed to wait or something. Along a similar line, since I haven't ever flown in an aircraft with a First Class cabin, I see that there are lavatories in the front, middle and rear of the plane. I am assuming that the lavatory in the front is for ONLY the first class passengers, correct? I wouldn't want to commit faux pas and try and use a restroom that I'm not supposed to use.

Third question...drinks. I get very anxious when I fly and I "treat" it with a drink or two since I cannot handle medication. I am 99% certain that there is no beverage service on our first flight (it's only about 25 minutes at cruising altitude) but on the second flight, do they serve anything before take off for those with priority boarding? Or is that just for first class? I can always have a beverage between flights (we have an hour and 45 minute layover) and then wait until the beverage service on the second flight.

Final question....boarding passes. Our printer at home picked this week to die. Are there kiosks at most airports where I can print our boarding passes or will we have to wait in a line? As I said, we are not checking bags so we wouldn't otherwise need to go to the ticket counter. We all have the mobile app and I plan to use it for our BP's but I still like to have paper copies too.

Sorry for all of the questions, but I appreciate any information that you can provide:flower3:

I haven’t flown Delta for about a year but some comments.

If you want that bin space, board with priority. Mainly because there is not bin space for every seat. They aren’t going to hold space if you board later and space is needed.

With a 757, you usually do board at the second door. First class would be left, comfort + to the right, then coach. When getting off, the flight attendants will sometimes hold coach until after first class departs. Maybe different depending on the model. Sometimes they switch out models.

I don’t think they do pre-departure drinks for comfort+.

You can print boarding passes at a kiosk.

Last edited:
Thank you! This seemingly benign information is actually very useful to me because, like I said, I want do not want to inconvenience any other passengers.

Looking at the seat map for our plane, our Comfort+ seats are to the LEFT of the doors (Row 16), but there are more Comfort+ seats to the RIGHT of the doors too. That's why I was a bit confused since the entry/exit was right in the middle of the Comfort+ seats. Even the YouTube walk-through video shows the same thing.
757_200_75H.png

Most importantly, I do not want to inconvenience or insult a fellow traveler due to my own ignorance.

The fact that you're thinking ahead about not inconveniencing other people means you're nicer than most people. If you encounter an unknown situation during your travels and you need to make a quick decision about what to do, go with your gut instinct. Chances are good that your instincts are right simply because you seem to have the "empathetic" gene that some people lack.

That being said, I have a few questions that I am hoping someone here can answer since the folks over on FT are a little intimidating.

I TOTALLY understand your reticence about that site. I'm an active contributor there, but it's certainly not a overly friendly place to ask questions.

First question...we have Comfort+ tickets. I understand that Delta boards in "zones". What exactly do we need to do (or NOT do) at the gate? As I understand it, we have "SkyPriority Boarding"...I have no idea what that means...we normally fly SWA.

You can find Delta's Boarding Order here: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/onboard-services/boarding-priority.html

It's basically Pre-Boarding, Premium (first class), Sky Priority, then Zones 1 through 4.

We only have carry-on bags so overhead bin space is paramount, which is precisely why I purchased the Comfort+ ticket upgrade. I know that on the first leg, our rolling bags will be gate checked since they will not fit in the overhead bins...at least I don't think they will. They are "standard" 22" spinner bags which I have read are too big for the overhead bins in regional jets.

You are correct about the gate checking. Most standard roller bags will not fit in the overhead compartments on that plane. (Whoever designed that plane probably should've been fired for that decision.)

Make sure to listen carefully when you are at the gate in GRR. Different airlines do things differently and I can't remember Delta's procedure. Sometimes, you pick up you bag at the connecting airport. Other times, they will check it all the way through to Orlando. If it's the latter, make sure to remove any medications or expensive items.

Do we NEED to board early (to make sure we get the overhead bin space) or is our bin space "guaranteed"? The Comfort+ category advertises "dedicated overhead bin space right above your seat" so I just assumed that it wouldn't matter if we got on the plane first or last.

This is a tough question to answer because it depends upon the in-flight crew. I've seen some flight attendants vigorously defend the Comfort+ overhead bins. If you have one of those crew members, you can probably wait and board last.

Other times, I've seen crew members not care and let anyone use that space. Since you won't know until you board, I'd recommend boarding when your group (Sky Priority) is called.

Is there any advantage to boarding early and getting settled? Like do they serve you a beverage or something? If not, I'd prefer to wait since I get a little anxious being in the enclosed plane and I prefer to spend as little time as possible on the plane. I have an aisle seat and my daughters have the row across from me so it's not like any of us would have to get situated around another passenger who is already seated. I'm not talking about waiting until the final boarding call or being last in line or anything like that. I'm just wondering if there is any reason why we would want to board as early as possible. If not, I'm fine with hanging back and letting the crowd get settled first. We will be at the gate at least an hour before we leave.

I can empathize. I'm suffer that same airplane anxiety. I always wait until the very end of boarding (if I'm not on Southwest) because I don't like being in a small, metal tube. But, I never have overhead luggage with which to deal. Since you do, you'll probably just need to take a few deep breaths and board during your zone.

Second question...this one is kind of aircraft-specific...the second plane (757-200) apparently boards from the "middle" and not from the front. The entrance doors are actually behind our seats. So, how does this work when we exit? The first class cabin would be in position behind us to exit the plane, which seems to be a disadvantage for those of a "higher class". When we are ready to get off the plane, the door is only 2 rows behind us, which seems to be very advantageous for a quick exit, but I don't want to cut someone off if I am supposed to wait or something.

DebbieB is correct in stating that you usually do board from the second door on a 757. But, it can depend upon the gate at the airport. The jetway configuration means that there's chance that a different door will be used for boarding.

As for being polite and waiting for First Class, just go with the flow. Follow the instructions of the Flight Attendant. If she or he isn't offering instructions, just do what other Comfort+ passengers are doing. There aren't that many Comfort+ seats, so even if First Class has to wait, it will only be an extra 2 or 3 minutes.

Along a similar line, since I haven't ever flown in an aircraft with a First Class cabin, I see that there are lavatories in the front, middle and rear of the plane. I am assuming that the lavatory in the front is for ONLY the first class passengers, correct? I wouldn't want to commit faux pas and try and use a restroom that I'm not supposed to use.

Different airlines have different rules. Unfortunately, I can't remember how Delta does it. I'm 100% certain that if they restrict the forward lavatory for First Class, they will include that fact in the announcements. Just listen to those and you'll be fine.

As DebbieB notes, there are no pre-boarding drinks for Comfort+. If you need a little liquid courage, I'd purchase that at the airport.

There are some airlines that charge extra to print a boarding pass at the airport. Delta is NOT one of those airlines. I'd check in online and use a kiosk when you arrive to print out a copy.

@kristenrice - Frequent (100%) Delta flyer here, @writerguyfl has given you some excellent advice, in my opinion.

If they do board using the second door (common on this type of aircraft), when de-planing it's usually both the people in the front (First class and the few rows of Comfort+ that are in front of the door) and people in the back all blending together to exit. It's an orderly exit and just naturally flows. On rare occasion I have seen a flight attendant hold the line so the people forward of the door can exit, but that's not all that common in my experience. Yes, this means that first class passengers are not the very first off the plane in this configuration. But you can just grab your stuff and go, nothing to worry about.

As for the bathrooms... sometimes during flight they put up a screen on certain aircraft between Comfort+ and First, sometimes they don't. If there is no screen or curtain, I wouldn't think twice about using the bathroom in the front of the plane from your seats if that is the closest to you. Although that one by Row 17 is likely closest to your seats.

This may be more technology than you want to mess with, but the Delta app for smartphones is wonderful. I have not printed out a boarding pass in years and use the app exclusively for my boarding passes. Of course, kiosks are available at most airports too if you'd rather have the piece of paper.

Do we NEED to board early (to make sure we get the overhead bin space) or is our bin space "guaranteed"? The Comfort+ category advertises "dedicated overhead bin space right above your seat" so I just assumed that it wouldn't matter if we got on the plane first or last.

In my opinion, you should aim to board when the Sky Priority zone is called. Many Delta flights are almost always full and overhead space can be at a premium. While they advertise "dedicated" space for Comfort+ passengers... enforcement is hit or miss. At some point during boarding they'll start to use all available space whether you're sitting under those seats or not... and if you're the last passenger to board you could be out of luck. I travel a lot so tend to push airport timing to the limits... but one thing I'm very serious about is boarding with my zone when I have a carry-on... even if it means sitting on the airplane 20-30 minutes.

Delta kind of gives out "Sky Priority" boarding zones like candy... people in Comfort+ seats, various credit card holders, various Frequent Flyer statuses, etc. It's always a larger number of folks than you think will be boarding in that zone.

Enjoy those Comfort+ seats. The ones forward of the door are kind of like a mini-First Class cabin.

Happy to answer any questions.

I fly Delta lot....

1. Gate check on a CRJ means they will bring the luggage back to you at DTW. It will not be fast so don't worry about racing off the plane. All that gets you is the opportunity to wait in the jetway or by the elevator for your luggage (just line up with the others you see)

2. While comfort does have "dedicated" overhead space it is NOT guaranteed. Since a lot of your fellow travelers will be business people who got upgraded to comfort and who believe that (a) the two item limit has a special "not me" exemption applying to them and (b) the request to put your smaller article under the seat in front of them also had "not me" exemption the bins can and will fill up. Board when they call your zone which is on your boarding pass.

3. They will ask you not to use the First Class bathroom. However, if the cart is in the aisle I just go use it.

4. Just get off when you land. Don't worry about letting anyone else off first, trust me that rarely works anyway. LOL !

5. Yes there will be a kiosk near the check in counter at your home airport. You can print the boarding passes there.

6. No, there is no pre-departure beverage service in comfort. You will get free beverages once they get the cart in the aisle after take off.

Thank you! This seemingly benign information is actually very useful to me because, like I said, I want do not want to inconvenience any other passengers.

Looking at the seat map for our plane, our Comfort+ seats are to the LEFT of the doors (Row 16), but there are more Comfort+ seats to the RIGHT of the doors too. That's why I was a bit confused since the entry/exit was right in the middle of the Comfort+ seats. Even the YouTube walk-through video shows the same thing.
757_200_75H.png

When I was flying a lot and had status, the 757 with 24-26 first class seats gave me a good chance for an upgrade. Looks like they are cutting that back. If you get that plane, I wouldn’t worry about who gets off first.

I just flew a similar plane to and from MCO in September. We are also new to Delta. We got Comfort seats as well and were in row 15 which is supposedly "bulkhead" but different than any other bulkhead I have had before.We still had plenty of legroom. We pre-board as my Mom needs extra time down the jetway without the risk of people bumping into her, so of course we have no issue getting overhead space. We were not served any drink prior to take off, but almost as soon as we did, the beverage cart and snack basket came by offering us stuff. I know they said not to use the first class bathroom. And then coming home, the one by row 17 apparently had an issue or someone was in it the whole flight. My Mom had to go all the way to the back of the plane to go to the bathroom. Or so she says, I was asleep and honestly have no idea on the bathroom thing. Being a long flight, all seats had tvs with a nice choice of things to watch. At arrival, we all got off at the same time and the first class people were mostly behind us.

We were very happy with our flights on Delta and that plane. We would totally book again if the price is right. There are few options for direct flights from LAX to MCO, so we were happy to find this one so good. And that mini area in front of the door seemed so quiet and separate from the rest of the plane. Just seemed more relaxing. Hope you have good flights too.

Another Delta frequent flyer here. You've been given some great advice in this thread. I would add one more caveat - things can always change at the last minute. If this happens, just shrug and deal with it.

While Comfort Plus does have dedicated bin space, that does not mean that space will be available when you board. I speak as one who flies first class and has found that space already occupied by people who are not flying first class, but who are able to board early due to their status or ability to push ahead in the line.

Since you're Sky Priority, you'll be boarding in one of the first groups to board. It's generally pre-boarding (wheelchairs, families with small children in car seats, people who require extra time on the jet bridge, military with ID), Premium (First Class/Business Class and anyone with serious Delta status), Sky Priority, and then the zones. If the airport has the little signs with those separate designations - not all airports do - then go ahead and line up early in the Sky Priority lane. If it's an airport with two signs - Sky Priority or General (I think that's how it's listed), then you will still have to wait for Premium passengers to board first and move aside as they board.

When disembarking, just exit as you normally would exit. It's not good plane etiquette to run down the people trying to exit in the row before yours. Sometimes flight attendants will block off first class to exit first. Just go with the flow.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!!!

:worship::thanks::disrocks:
You guys have all made my day:sunny:
All of my questions were answered and I now, when we go to the airport, my kids won't think I am a complete dunderhead...

...until I go through the TSA Pre-Check lane for the first time:rotfl2:.

As I understand it, we have "SkyPriority Boarding"...I have no idea what that means

Sit near the desk at the gate so you can hear more easily. Have the kids also listen. Listen for when they call sky priority.

People on legacy airlines clump up in line like you wouldn’t believe. They judge peoples’ perceived seat class and someone’s will block those they thing are below them. It’s risiculous. Don’t let them psych you out. When SP is called, go through the line and board.

Is there any advantage to boarding early and getting settled? Like do they serve you a beverage or something?

No beverages like that unless you’re proper first class.

Since you have aisle seats and want the bin (for the second flight at least) just board. You can and should stand sanding at your seat, so the window person can get in and so you don’t feel as trapped. I’ve also gone back to use the restroom, then stay there (out of the FAs’ way and being smiley and polite) because flighting my way back is impossible. Allows me a little breathing room.

I am assuming that the lavatory in the front is for ONLY the first class passengers, correct?

If there’s a proper first class, yes. But you will almost certainly see people from behind first use, or try to use, it.

do they serve anything before take off for those with priority boarding?

No.

Make sure to listen carefully when you are at the gate in GRR. Different airlines do things differently and I can't remember Delta's procedure. Sometimes, you pick up you bag at the connecting airport. Other times, they will check it all the way through to Orlando. If it's the latter, make sure to remove any medications or expensive items.

Yep.

If they are going to “check it through” and you don’t want that, stand firm. You want it checked to the gate.

It will not be fast so don't worry about racing off the plane.

Agreed.

I find it more relaxing to wait it out in my seat than to stand in the scrum. But if your non-related seatmate(s) want out, let them out.

Those little bottles of liquor can go in your 3-1-1 bag!

But it’s not allowed to drink alcohol you’ve taken onboard.

Since you have aisle seats and want the bin (for the second flight at least) just board. You can and should stand sanding at your seat, so the window person can get in and so you don’t feel as trapped. I’ve also gone back to use the restroom, then stay there (out of the FAs’ way and being smiley and polite) because flighting my way back is impossible. Allows me a little breathing room.

If they are going to “check it through” and you don’t want that, stand firm. You want it checked to the gate.

Thanks for the heads up about standing in my seat when we board. My girls are sitting across the aisle from me so it won't seem too awkward to stand up and chat with them and get them situated. On the second leg, we are all in one row so no issue there.

I do NOT want them to check our bags all the way through to Orlando. That was my whole reason of flying with just carry-ons...I do NOT want to have to go to baggage claim. I'm just about done packing right now and, to be honest, our rolling bags are each only about half-full. We could probably get by with just our backpacks, but they would be really stuffed and we wouldn't be able to get our booty from MNSSHP back home. I put our park bags (purses) into the outside of our backpacks so when we board our first flight, our in-flight stuff (crossword puzzles, phone and headphones, gum, etc) will be in our purses which will easily go under the seats. The backpacks will then go in the overhead bins. On the second flight, the backpacks will go under the seats and the rolling bags will go in the overhead bin.

Ok, so I can't figure out how to quote from Bumbershoot's post.

Ya, I know it's not allowed. But as an extremely nervous flyer I can appreciate some liquid courage and creative ways to get spike a beverage. The ladies room prior to boarding is my goto spot. Nasty I know, but. Irrational fears really suck.

I love how much kristenrice researches the layout of planes, I thought i was the only one who does that!

Ok, so I can't figure out how to quote from Bumbershoot's post.

Ya, I know it's not allowed. But as an extremely nervous flyer I can appreciate some liquid courage and creative ways to get spike a beverage. The ladies room prior to boarding is my goto spot. Nasty I know, but. Irrational fears really suck.

I love how much kristenrice researches the layout of planes, I thought i was the only one who does that!

Desperate times call for desperate measures!

Last edited:
I just got back from flying on Delta. This was the first time I have flown Delta (I think) and the first time I have flown in 14 years. Delta seemed very easier to me. I was always in zone 4 to board. I only had my carry on bag and a back pack with me. I did not have an issue storing my carry on in the over head bins on the 4 flights that I took. One of the time it was in a bin further up then where I was sitting but all the other were by my seat. My last flight I was one of the last ones to board and it was a full flight and had no problems. I do know that if the overhead bins are full they will gate check your carry on for free.

I did not use a paper boarding pass nor did I have access to print the ones for my flight home. I downloaded their app and used that as my boarding pass. It was very quick and easy to use.

Delta boards SKY class, first class seats first. Then Comfort second, then general boarding. Back of plane first then middle then front if they even check ?? So front section do not black back section people. Speed up boarding
Concord has more leg room, free drink. ( order double, they will not offer second drink on short flights ) you are closer to front restroom, if walking is a problem, or need the restroom frequently

...until I go through the TSA Pre-Check lane for the first time:rotfl2:.

Things to know before you go through PreCheck

--Generally speaking, you can leave your shoes on.
--Generally speaking, you can leave on belts.
--Generally speaking, computers and tablets can stay in your carryon bag.
--Generally speaking, the liquids in your 3-1-1 bag stay in your carryon bag.
--Generally speaking, snacks can stay in your carryon bag.

Having said that, the process can vary slightly from one airport to the next. If someone at the head of the line wearing a uniform directs people to do something differently from the standard practice, then do what the uniformed person tells you to do. TSA does select random people for what they call 'additional' security screening, even in the PreCheck line. If this happens to you, just comply with all directions from TSA officials and don't stress.

And again - things can change from one airport to the next, and even then one travel experience to the next. It happens no matter how many times you travel. Just pack your sense of humor, follow all directions from TSA and airline crew members, and you should have a wonderful flight! :-)

And if I take my shoes off please don’t tell Me to tell me I’m doing it wrong. I have several pairs that I know set off the metal detector. (Of course I could just be rude and follow the “experts” advice. That will hold him up when I get sent back to take them off and try again.)

Yes this happened today at MCO

First question...we have Comfort+ tickets. I understand that Delta boards in "zones". What exactly do we need to do (or NOT do) at the gate? As I understand it, we have "SkyPriority Boarding"...I have no idea what that means...we normally fly SWA.

When I had to fly for business, I used to fly Delta quite often.

When its time to board, they will call for boarding in certain groups, like Silver and Gold Sky Medallion members, first class, etc. Then, they will call for boarding by zones. If you have a zone, it will be printed on the boarding pass. Since I had to fly economy, I always boarded in the middle or the last.

I checked Delta's website, and your tickets give you the third highest boarding priority. You should be able to board just fine.

You may have to make your way around the large group of people that always surrounds the boarding area, hoping to be first when their zone is called.

We only have carry-on bags so overhead bin space is paramount, which is precisely why I purchased the Comfort+ ticket upgrade. I know that on the first leg, our rolling bags will be gate checked since they will not fit in the overhead bins...at least I don't think they will. They are "standard" 22" spinner bags which I have read are too big for the overhead bins in regional jets. I understand the process for gate checking the bags since we did that several times when our kids were still in car seats/strollers. Do we NEED to board early (to make sure we get the overhead bin space) or is our bin space "guaranteed"?

My first leg on Delta was always CRJ regional jets or the old ATR-172 turbo prop aircraft. So, I had to gate check a carry on bag (when I was going on short trips.) Personally, I never had a problem getting space in the overhead bin. Don't forget that you also have the space under the seat in front of you.

The only problem I ever had with gate check is when someone tried to grab my bag by mistake. I stopped them, though. Again, its pays to uglify your bag so that its recognizable to you and not to others.

Is there any advantage to boarding early and getting settled? Like do they serve you a beverage or something? If not, I'd prefer to wait since I get a little anxious being in the enclosed plane and I prefer to spend as little time as possible on the plane.

I always liked to get boarded as quick as I could and get settled, so as to not be a bother to anyone else. I never got to fly first class, but I do remember the flight attendants serving the folks in first class drinks while I was boarding.

FWIW, there used to be drink service on the first leg of my trip (MGM to ATL.) However, that was cut out, with the justification being that its a "short flight." I'm not sure what they will do in first class on the CRJ or Delta Comfort if that's the case.

Second question...this one is kind of aircraft-specific...the second plane (757-200) apparently boards from the "middle" and not from the front.

I mostly ended up with MD88s or MD-90s. However, the one time that I did fly on a 757, I remember it boarded from the front. Just because I had a long walk back to my seat :) and because it was a novelty flying on an aircraft other than an MD! I guess it depends on the airport and the sky bridge.

Based on my experience, there won't be any drink service on your first leg, but will be on the second. As I mentioned above, i've seen the FA's serving drinks to the folks in first class as i'm passing through, but I don't know about Delta Comfort. Usually, its just first class. IMHO, if you need something to help you relax, get it at the airport before you board just in case.

You can print them from kiosks at the airport. I've also had to get them from the employee at the bagage check. Delta also has electronic boarding passes, where you use your cell phone. I checked, and they are available from GRR, so you can use them. I stopped flying for work before they were available here, so I never got a chance to use them.

I also recommend checking in online 24 hours before your flight.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter